• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

BMAN

I'm not sure how optimized this game is for the 360 is compared to my PC.
I have a Q66002.4ghz, 4gb ram, 8800GTS 512mb. Whats going to look better, 360 or my PC?

jdmonmou

I almost made an impulse purchase and brought this on Steam today....almost. But I think I'll play it safe and just rent this from GameFly on the 360.

CozMick

Banned
Please god no, EA what have you done.

Just seen the Crysis 2 advert here in the UK, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys are singing "New York" as the track for the game :O

PC Footage shown

No, no, no, no, no

TheExodu5

Banned
Afrikan said:
can you take pics at this similar location? it is the MP level, so the sun should be in the same spot.

gamespot1.png

I like how the gun is far lower in the PC version.

aegies

Shurs said:
I realize he's under NDA, but if he feels he can pop into this thread to tell us 360 version is the best console version, he could at least tell us why.

From the levels I'm allowed to talk about from last week's preview embargo, the Xbox 360 version maintains its framerate better, has better lighting on characters in particular, and appears to support SSAO in places that it isn't apparent in the PS3 version. This is in addition to the ps3 version being more "stretched." This causes more aliasing, but it also just looks kind of weird at times. It's still a great looking game though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BMAN said:
I have a Q66002.4ghz, 4gb ram, 8800GTS 512mb. Whats going to look better, 360 or my PC?
*lol*

pc

Norml said:
I see it the other way.Where the screens?
The game looks incredible on all 3 platforms, dude. I'm admittedly a Crytek fanboy and biased to a certain extent because of that but it's not like my opinion is in the minority here. Almost every one of your posts in this thread has been downplaying Crysis 2 while subtly trumpeting PS3 exclusives in the process. Have you not noticed that?

CozMick

Banned
Heavy said:
The game looks incredible on all 3 platforms, dude. I'm admittedly a Crytek fanboy and biased to a certain extent because of that but it's not like my opinion is in the minority here. Almost every one of your posts in this thread has been downplaying Crysis 2 while subtly trumpeting PS3 exclusives in the process. Have you not noticed that?

:lol every post in this thread seems to be bias towards one platform, hell, even in this post
PS3 version is superior

Shurs

aegies said:
From the levels I'm allowed to talk about from last week's preview embargo, the Xbox 360 version maintains its framerate better, has better lighting on characters in particular, and appears to support SSAO in places that it isn't apparent in the PS3 version. This is in addition to the ps3 version being more "stretched." This causes more aliasing, but it also just looks kind of weird at times. It's still a great looking game though.

Thanks.

I was already getting the game on 360, but it's good to know.

TheExodu5

Banned
BMAN said:
Hah I wasn't sure because Crysis 2 on the 360 looks hella better than Warhead running on my PC.

Honestly, get it on the system where you'd rather be playing. At 1680*1050, performance will probably be pretty close to the 360 version at 720p. It will look better, but not by leaps and bounds.

Crysis2%20gamer%201680.png

Expect your 8800GT to be close to the 5750 there. Keep in mind, that's without any anti-aliasing.

TUROK

Heavy said:
YOU DARE QUESTION THE POWER OF TEH CELL???!!!

TheExodu5 said:
PC, but not by that big of a margin.

ROFL

Textures, lighting, shadowing, anti-alising, vast improvement in frame rate, resolution, all differences between pc and consoles.

And when they add directx11 effects....

BMAN said:
Hah I wasn't sure because Crysis 2 on the 360 looks hella better than Warhead running on my PC.

People with high-end configurations will obviously disagree, but I really like what they've done with the PC version this time around - they made it run well on today's hardware, including a wider array of low and mid-range configurations. Unlike Crysis, which was optimized for tomorrow's (at the time) hardware and ran like shit on anything but high-spec machines.

Norml

Heavy said:
Sorry for not thinking it does not look incredible.Is it not a fact it is sub hd with bad AA?And where did I trumpet PS3?

TheExodu5 said:
I'm as much a PC advocate as the next guy, but lets be realistic with his specs. I have benchmark numbers above for him to gauge.

At 720p it should easily outperform the 360, though.

I'm even thinking of giving it a try on my old 9600GT.

TheExodu5

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
At 720p it should easily outperform the 360, though.

I'm even thinking of giving it a try on my old 9600GT.

Keep in mind that benchmark above doesn't have AA applied to it. I presume it will outperform it, but not by a large margin as I've said.

Also, if he's playing on a monitor, it's unlikely he'll want to play at anything but native res.

BMAN said:
that CPU can be easily overclocked to 3.0 or 3.2 GHZ, get a more recent video card for about 200$ /250$ and you be running the game much much better for not much of an investment.

TUROK

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
People with high-end configurations will obviously disagree, but I really like what they've done with the PC version this time around - they made it run well on today's hardware, including a wider array of low and mid-range configurations. Unlike Crysis, which was optimized for tomorrow's (at the time) hardware and ran like shit on anything but high-spec machines.
Crysis 1 as a whole was pretty poorly optimized. Warhead on the other hand was quite the efficient game.

TheExodu5 said:
Also, if he's playing on a monitor, it's unlikely he'll want to play at anything but native res.

Perhaps. I have a 1680x1050 monitor and I play some games on lower resolutions. It doesn't really bother me.

(Although my PC is also connected to a 720p TV, but I haven't played anything that way yet.)

CozMick said:
:lol every post in this thread seems to be bias towards one platform, hell, even in this post
PS3 version is superior
Haven't been following the PS3 vs. 360 debate that well. Is that the consensus? In my opinion, they look almost identical. On the surface the differences seem to be so minor between the two. But as someone who only has a PC I can never understand why PS3 and 360 users argue so much about a couple dropped frames or a missing shadow here and there. If it was like a PC vs. console difference then that's huge but the gap between the two versions is so small, isn't it? I'd just get whichever version your friends getting.

Violater

So funny watching people touting the Dx11 patch, having no clue when it will be released.

As far as parity across the consoles are concerned, this is probably one of the better cases of the ps3 not exactly getting the whole shaft.

dLMN8R

bkfount said:
yeah, that's just how the FPS genre is now, with the magic regenerating health and shit loads of annoying red on the screen.
Unlike the magical health bar which means you can get shot 5 times, get down to 1 health left, and then a pin prick magically kills you?

Unless you magically step on a health pack that restores you to good as new?

Or...you know...Crysis which had regenerating health?

Animator

TUROK said:
Crysis 1 as a whole was pretty poorly optimized. Warhead on the other hand was quite the efficient game.

Funny enough crysis 1 runs way better on my system than warhead for some reason.

Really looking forward to crysis 2 though, the mp demo ran like butter and looked great on my pc.

LowParry

Ya know, on the MP side of things, you're going to find more people playing on consoles vs. PC. I suppose you can say that's a plus. One would think I'd be getting this on PC because of what I got but I'm going for the 360.

Animator said:
Funny enough crysis 1 runs way better on my system than warhead for some reason.

Really looking forward to crysis 2 though, the mp demo ran like butter and looked great on my pc.

Yea Warhead ran like shit for me with same settings as Crysis 1.

Norml said:
Sorry for not thinking it does not look incredible.Is it not a fact it is sub hd with bad AA?And where did I trumpet PS3?
Isn't it like 1160x720? Is that really something to kill the game over? Or how about the fact that Crysis 2 has real-time lighting and shadows while those other games bake it? Should that huge technical achievement be ignored because the res is 1160x720 instead of 1280x720? Which would you rather have: lighting tech that's never been done before on a console or 100sq more pixels?

Gvaz

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Expect your 8800GT to be close to the 5750 there. Keep in mind, that's without any anti-aliasing.

I like that SLI on the MP demo is borked.

also this is with custom settings via a .bat file, but this was 45-60fps in the demo.

It looks much better to me than the default crap.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2ghz
8GB DDR2 in Dual @ 400mhz
1GB xfx Radeon HD4890 @ stock

As you can see, putting the FOV to 90 gives this weird fish eye effect, but having the FOV too low makes my eyes tired. That's the only way I know how to explain it.

TUROK

Animator said:

Odd... After I got done messing with the CFG files, I was running Warhead like 5 frames faster than Crysis 1 on my friend's rig. Doesn't sound like much, but it was definitely a welcome boost.

sleepykyo

Heavy said:
Haven't been following the PS3 vs. 360 debate that well. Is that the consensus? In my opinion, they look almost identical. On the surface the differences seem to be so minor between the two. But as someone who only has a PC I can never understand why PS3 and 360 users argue so much about a couple dropped frames or a missing shadow here and there. If it was like a PC vs. console difference then that's huge but the gap between the two versions is so small, isn't it? I'd just get whichever version your friends getting.

Guess it depends on how you look at it.

1. You could look it as the 360 version only misses native resolution by 10% or so, and the PS3 version misses native resolution by 20%.

or

2. Of course, that also means the PS3 version misses the target by twice as much as the 360 version and has additional frame rate issues.

Also represents a different approach to PS3 development. The Unreal games usually dial back some effects and cut a tree/some grass to claw back some performance. PS3 exclusives tend to avoid doing some things. Crytek decided to do it all and let the resolution and performance fall where it may.

Animator

CcrooK said:
Ya know, on the MP side of things, you're going to find more people playing on consoles vs. PC. I suppose you can say that's a plus. One would think I'd be getting this on PC because of what I got but I'm going for the 360.

I doubt there will be any problem whatsoever finding people to play with on the pc.

TheExodu5 said:
Honestly, get it on the system where you'd rather be playing. At 1680*1050, performance will probably be pretty close to the 360 version at 720p. It will look better, but not by leaps and bounds.

Crysis2%20gamer%201680.png

What's the deal with the SLI/Crossfire benches? It's so...broken. :/

Norml

Heavy said:
Isn't it like 1160x720? Is that really something to kill the game over? Or how about the fact that Crysis 2 has real-time lighting and shadows while those other games bake it? Should that huge technical achievement be ignored because the res is 1160x720 instead of 1280x720? Which would you rather have: lighting tech that's never been done before on a console or 100sq more pixels?
Judging from the demos, the lighting did not impress once but the image quality certainly disappointed.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
low resolutions......

I know about the resolutions, but honestly, when I'm playing this game on my 42" Bravia, and it looks this damn good on 6-7 year old tech...it's b-e-a-utiful.

I don't start seeing what numbers are crunched or what texture is missing in the foreground or crap like that, the overall package is damn gorgeous. All that matters to me.

mintylurb

Heavy said:
Why does it matter if he or someone else thinks crysis 2 360 or ps3 versions don't look as good as some ps3 exclusives? It's just their own opinion.

You even alluded to in your previous post these sort of debates aren't even interesting anymore..yet you keep engaging in these debates. So..some gaffers think certain ps3 games look better. Good for them.

Seriously, this is why we need a separate gfx comparison thread.

Spookie

Heavy said:
FOV 90 is crazy. I dunno how people play FPS' at 90 unless they're related to a tuna. 75 or bust lol

Depends entirely on your monitor I think. I'm on a 24" at 1080p and anything less than 90 and I have to take constant breaks else I'm heaving chunks.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CozMick said:
Please god no, EA what have you done.

Just seen the Crysis 2 advert here in the UK, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys are singing "New York" as the track for the game :O

PC Footage shown

No, no, no, no, no
That's terrible. They should have went with Ja Rule.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Spookie said:
Depends entirely on your monitor I think. I'm on a 24" at 1080p and anything less than 90 and I have to take constant breaks else I'm heaving chunks.
90 on something like HL2 isn't the same as 90 on Crysis 2. 90 is more like 120 in Crysis 2. They must calculate it differently.

TheExodu5

Banned
professor_t said:
They didn't test the 5850? Do you have any idea of where it would fit on that list?

The demo was locked before they had a chance to test everything. It should be slightly above the 6850.

Keep in mind this is at the lowest settings (Gamer). Still, 5850 should run it very well. Game also still looks really good...Hardcore doesn't look that much better (see above, PC vs consoles), and runs at about 1/2 of the speed.

Top Bottom