• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Jadedx

Banned
Gvaz said:
No, it clearly has better lighting (Sun Rays/God Rays, shadowing, lighting) and AF. Even if all things are the same, those are implemented features. However the tradeoff is that it's at the "stage 1" HD resolution of 720 and the 360 doesn't have those features and is at 1080. I don't know what the frame rate is like.

Either way, if you're wanting to know which one is the better one technologically wise, that'd be the PS3. If you're wanting one that displays natively at 1080, then that'd be the 360. It's up to you which of these is more important.
I still say the 360 version looks better rays, lighting and all.

Gvaz said:
No, it clearly has better lighting (Sun Rays/God Rays, shadowing, lighting) and AF.

AF, sure, but how does it clearly have better lighting? It all depends on which retail shots you use, because in some comparisons the PS3 version looks better, while in others it doesn't (and seems to lack things like SSAO). There's been too much contradicting information so I suppose it's best to wait for DF's analysis.

Regardless, both versions seem to be so close visually that I'd say controller and network preference will play a larger part for most people.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
crysis2_helicopteranem.gif
holy fucking shit I'm completely stunned this is running on a console.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm so damn pumped for this game. Seriously, everything points to this becoming one of my favorite shooters of all time. Hyping something up that much often results in disappointment, I know, but I've seen enough to convince me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
dark10x said:
I'm so damn pumped for this game. Seriously, everything points to this becoming one of my favorite shooters of all time. Hyping something up that much often results in disappointment, I know, but I've seen enough to convince me.

I guess I should have never doubted Crytek.

qazqaNii

Well the story in this game isnt much to hang on, I finished it and the story was bad imo. Graphics on the ps3 was nice, framedrops here and there but its manageable.

The "perks" are kinda hard to know if theyre activated but when its "GREEN" it means its activated took me some time to figure it out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
qazqaNii said:
Well the story in this game isnt much to hang on, I finished it and the story was bad imo. Graphics on the ps3 was nice, framedrops here and there but its manageable.

The "perks" are kinda hard to know if theyre activated but when its "GREEN" it means its activated took me some time to figure it out.
What type of game stories have you enjoyed then?

I thought, for instance, the story in the original Crysis was actually enjoyable. Well written? No, not really, but it was fun to follow and worked very well with the game.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm confused by something:

Where is your health bar?

I noticed in that 360 video his HP never went down (the red bar on the left I'm guessing?) but he'd take damage and get all this shitty blood over his screen that seemed to relate to his available energy?

Which is it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gvaz said:

I noticed in that 360 video his HP never went down (the red bar on the left I'm guessing?) but he'd take damage and get all this shitty blood over his screen that seemed to relate to his available energy?

Which is it?
The bar on the left, on the map, is enemy awareness of your position and the bar on the right is Energy. There is no health bar.

Gvaz said:

Which is it?
You don't have a health bar, you see red on the edges of the screen when you're 'dying'.

Dreohboy

qazqaNii said:

With Half Life 2's Story = 10
Bioware 1 Story = 8

Original Crysis = 2 (there really wasn't much to the story)

Where would you rate Crysis 2 compared to those?

Fox Mulder

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I'm a bit bummed there's no health bar anymore (I liked having a number), but it's no big deal really.

yeah, that's just how the FPS genre is now, with the magic regenerating health and shit loads of annoying red on the screen.

TUROK

Gvaz said:
No, it clearly has better lighting (Sun Rays/God Rays, shadowing, lighting) and AF. Even if all things are the same, those are implemented features. However the tradeoff is that it's at the "stage 1" HD resolution of 720 and the 360 doesn't have those features and is at 1080. I don't know what the frame rate is like.

Wrong. Lighting is the same on both consoles. There are areas where there seems to be some missing lighting effects on both versions, but those are more technical oddities than anything.

Shadow map resolution also looks identical, but they both seem to be using different types of filtering.

CozMick

Banned
Weenerz said:
Silly question, but are the demo servers down for the PC version? Game isn't out for like 12 hours, I want to play a bit!

I was on last night with patch 1.01, there was one Multiplay server that was full the entire time, I gave up :p

aegies

Gvaz said:

Either way, if you're wanting to know which one is the better one technologically wise, that'd be the PS3. If you're wanting one that displays natively at 1080, then that'd be the 360. It's up to you which of these is more important.

You. Are. Wrong. No matter how many times you keep saying it. The 360 version runs better and has more going on. The texture filtering is the only thing that might be better on PS3. And I say that with retail copies of both sitting on my desk.

Shurs

aegies said:
You. Are. Wrong. No matter how many times you keep saying it. The 360 version runs better and has more going on. The texture filtering is the only thing that might be better on PS3. And I say that with retail copies of both sitting on my desk.

Could you expand on what you mean when you say the 360 version "has more going on"?

Is the difference between the two versions significant?

Maximus.

wow this game looks wonderful, cant believe I didnt even think about it coming out on PS3 until recently. I hope it runs well on it.

Kind of cynical of me, but I'm actually enjoying the number of people eating crow in this topic when they thought consoles can't run games that look this good.

=P

fuck-yea-man_design.png

V_Ben

Banned
Shurs said:
Could you expand on what you mean when you say the 360 version "has more going on"?

Is the difference between the two versions significant?

I assume that there is still an NDA, and that his review (this week?) will expand a bit more.

Gvaz

Banned
RoboPlato said:
The bar on the left, on the map, is enemy awareness of your position and the bar on the right is Energy. There is no health bar.
:\

I wish games stopped doing this. Adding shitty overlay textures and a heartbeat sound is not visceral and it's annoying.

Spookie

shinobi602 said:
Kind of cynical of me, but I'm actually enjoying the number of people eating crow in this topic when they thought consoles can't run games that look this good.

I don't remember that being said. Consoles have been doing just fine pre-Crysis hell Uncharted 2 is still a looker. Killzone 3 looks very good too.

Zen

Banned
Given all of the footage we have seen so far, if there was more stuff going on with either version I think we might have noticed it by now.

Norml

Game looks fine in small gifs/youtube just like multiplayer did, but doesn't look great in direct feed screenshots, can clearly see the low resolution hit and jaggies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zzoram said:
Game looks good but frame rate on consoles is pretty annoying. Lots of dips in youtube videos.
The framerate and IQ are major sticking points for me. But overall I like how it looks.

Norml said:
Game looks fine in small gifs/youtube just like multiplayer did, but doesn't look great in direct feed screenshots, can clearly see the low resolution hit and jaggies.
You're trying sooooooo hard. It's awesome!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Norml said:
I thought that the 360 multiplayer demo in person looked a lot better than the Youtube videos and screens of it. I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen of the final so I assume I'll be happy with it in person.

Shurs

V_Ben said:
I assume that there is still an NDA, and that his review (this week?) will expand a bit more.

I realize he's under NDA, but if he feels he can pop into this thread to tell us 360 version is the best console version, he could at least tell us why.

Afrikan

aegies said:

can you take pics at this similar location? it is the MP level, so the sun should be in the same spot.

gamespot1.png

Top Bottom