• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
I'm getting the PS3 version and I've played the 360 demo a decent amount so I'll give as detailed impressions of the tech and gameplay as I can once I pull myself away from it.
That looks like it's gonna be hard to do. :) The gameplay really looks fun. I've been trying not to watch these gameplay videos but it's hard since (a) I wanted to see how the PS3 version's looking and (b) it looks damn fun to play. No rush though, enjoy!

Exuro

DenogginizerOS said:
I ran it with an i5 750, 4GB of RAM, and GTX260 and I got an unwavering 43-45FPS at 1920x1080p on advanced. I was very impresed.
Similar specs here with same performance. Game runs pretty well.

X-Frame

I don't know anything about the Crysis SP but from the screenshots, videos, trailers, etc I am pretty excited for it.

Going against everything I normally do -- I may actually play the SP first before the MP!

Usually, I get right into the MP and don't touch the SP in games until 1-2 months down the road.

Just to add my brothers verdict of the MP demo on "Gamer" at 1680x1050 on an E6600 + 8800GT, he said the game ran great and was very, very smooth (he never gave a hard FPS figure).

charsace

aegies said:
From the levels I'm allowed to talk about from last week's preview embargo, the Xbox 360 version maintains its framerate better, has better lighting on characters in particular, and appears to support SSAO in places that it isn't apparent in the PS3 version. This is in addition to the ps3 version being more "stretched." This causes more aliasing, but it also just looks kind of weird at times. It's still a great looking game though.
SSAO is easy to do on the 360 because of how it handlers shaders.

adelante

nib95 said:
On the topic of technical prowess vs artistic or optimised direction, I do think we should have a graphics tech comparison thread of some kind. Something I actually wanted to discuss with you guys was for example, KZ3's use of LDR (pseudo HDR) and Clamped Highlights (supposedly offers more artistic creativity) as a lighting option vs Crysis 2's full HDR. One is obviously technically better (proper HDR), but I guess the question is, is there even a noticeable difference? That's one artistic argument, then there's the argument based on cost. Imo, KZ3 has considerably better IQ, (textures, resolution, sharpness, AF, AA etc) than Crysis 2 (consoles), and I wonder how much of the compromises to Crysis 2 were because of the lighting engine. If the real world differences between such lighting options are negligible, or come at the expense of many other IQ additions, which is the more intelligent design choice?

Obviously this is a purely subjective thing, but I personally think IQ basics and a stable frame rate not only look/play better, but offer a more balanced design.

That said, there is no telling as to how costly C2's lighting engine was. The slightly more open world nature of the game could have been just as if not more responsible. But then there are obviously many segments in Crysis 2 that aren't quite so open.
I had always assumed there was a technical reason (aside from it being an artistic choice) behind the fact that most of KZ3's worlds are lit by a foggy sun, which gave its environment that clamped albeit stylized look.

I love the realistic intensity of the lighting shown in that heli-crash gif, from the glint of sunlight bouncing off the table that the player's hiding behind to the harsh contrast of the interior walls. Sometimes I wonder what KZ3 would've looked like with Crysis2/Uncharted2's HDR implementation :O

Anyone who has both consoles getting this on PS3? What I've seen of it in motion looks incredible and virtually identical to 360, though I don't have as much of an eye for detail as you fine folk.

ConradCervantes said:
Anyone who has both consoles getting this on PS3? What I've seen of it in motion looks incredible and virtually identical to 360, though I don't have as much of an eye for detail as you fine folk.

Own PS3 and 360, and from what I've seen, I'm sticking with the 360 version. Better resolution, sharper textures, better framerate, and identical graphical quality.

Plus, 360 controller>>>>> Dualshock imo.

scitek

ConradCervantes said:

If I didn't have a PC, I'd get it for the PS3 because I let my Live subscription run out.

Shurs

ConradCervantes said:

I'm getting it for 360.

Seems like the safest bet.

Jadedx

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
I bought it for 360 but I rented the ps3 version from gamefly so I can compare.

dLMN8R

Gvaz said:
As you can see, putting the FOV to 90 gives this weird fish eye effect, but having the FOV too low makes my eyes tired. That's the only way I know how to explain it.
Heavy said:
FOV 90 is crazy. I dunno how people play FPS' at 90 unless they're related to a tuna. 75 or bust lol

Like I said on an earlier page:
dLMN8R said:
It might be the same as Bad Company 2, where the FOV was vertical FOV instead of horizontal FOV. You can use this to figure out the difference:

http://rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

100 degree horizontal FOV = 74 degree vertical FOV at 1920x1200, for example.

ConradCervantes said:
Yeah PS3 for me, from what I've seen the differences are negligible and I don't have Gold anymore.

smik

Is this running on dedicated servers for consoles?

played the demo and it lagged like shit i hoping theirs atleast a region filter.

also whats the word on the Classic Mode with no nano suits, is it Marines vs Soldiers? because thats really compelling for the "COD" audience lol.. no joke.

strata8

I'm just going to say that the voice actors and dialogue in this really annoy me. Especially Nathan Gould. The only one that's sounded decent was the African-American guy in the sub at the start.

Maybe I just expected too much.

Lingitiz

smik said:
Is this running on dedicated servers for consoles?

played the demo and it lagged like shit i hoping theirs atleast a region filter.

also whats the word on the Classic Mode with no nano suits, is it Marines vs Soldiers? because thats really compelling for the "COD" audience lol.. no joke.
Theres no dedicated servers, although Crytek did improve connection issues between the two 360 demos so im hopeful for the full game.

Classic mode is possible in custom games but I don't know if theres a playlist for it. There is the assault mode that has nanosuits with pistols only vs no nanosuits and any weapon of choice.

Zimbardo

i have this preordered on pc from D2D. grabbed it when it was only $43 along with Bulletstorm (was also $43).

i hope the launch goes smoothly and there really isn't any major hang ups.

wish i could download it now, but i'm thinking that i'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

Blizzard

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Is the Steam version not being released at midnight? Says 11 hours on the Steam page... the fuck?
As far as I know, except maybe Valve titles, new Steam releases often (always?) unlock around noon-3 p.m., when they roll out of bed on the west coast.

Blizzard said:
As far as I know, except maybe Valve titles, new Steam releases often (always?) unlock around noon-3 p.m., when they roll out of bed on the west coast.

And there's still no fucking preload yet? I work from noon-8 tomorrow. Was expecting to at the very least be able to preload this shit before I go to work so I can play it right when I get home.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zimbardo said:
i have this preordered on pc from D2D. grabbed it when it was only $43 along with Bulletstorm (was also $43).

i hope the launch goes smoothly and there really isn't any major hang ups.

wish i could download it now, but i'm thinking that i'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.
When was that? I must have missed out.

Animator

MisterAnderson said:
And there's still no fucking preload yet? I work from noon-8 tomorrow. Was expecting to at the very least be able to preload this shit before I go to work so I can play it right when I get home.

Same here, this is fucking stupid :\

Blizzard

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I don't think EA is...a big fan of Steam. As far as I know, Crysis 1 on Steam never even got patched to include the 64-bit version. I don't know if there was a manual way to patch or if it was only retail. Plus, all three Crysis games so far have had install limits with SecuROM DRM even on top of Steam DRM, though they've gotten better about the license revoke tool as time has passed.

Blizzard said:
I don't think EA is...a big fan of Steam. As far as I know, Crysis 1 on Steam never even got patched to include the 64-bit version. I don't know if there was a manual way to patch or if it was only retail. Plus, all three Crysis games so far have had install limits with SecuROM DRM even on top of Steam DRM, though they've gotten better about the license revoke tool as time has passed.

Even Dragon Age 2 had a preload at least though. This is pretty stupid.

smik

Lingitiz said:
Theres no dedicated servers, although Crytek did improve connection issues between the two 360 demos so im hopeful for the full game.

Classic mode is possible in custom games but I don't know if theres a playlist for it. There is the assault mode that has nanosuits with pistols only vs no nanosuits and any weapon of choice.

ok, its not looking good for me, both demo's lagged pretty bad hopefully theres some sort of region filters that shit needs become standard in console shooters.

i think its in the playlist but im not to sure.

]
Lulz.png

Zimbardo

SapientWolf said:
When was that? I must have missed out.

can't remember exactly. a few weeks ago.

they had something like $5 off each if you pre order the games, but during that time they also had one of those 20% off everything sales.

so i figured what the hell and bought both.

Lingitiz

smik said:
ok, its not looking good for me, both demo's lagged pretty bad hopefully theres some sort of region filters that shit needs become standard in console shooters.

i think its in the playlist but im not to sure.
That image looks a bit like custom game options. If the playlists are setup anything like the demo it'll be by the 6 gametypes.

Kritz

Banned
AShep said:
The way the cursor is moving suggests that it is the console version unless it's the PC version being played with a controller.

Also, I know that embargoes have been done to death on this board and on many podcasts but why doesn't the industry just band together and fuck the embargoes all together?

What's going to happen if IGN/Gamespot/Eurogamer/1up etc decide to grow up and quit being held hostage by publishers.

"You won't get a review copy next time" doesn't hold much sway if you're in the majority.

Sure, it would hurt smaller sites who have to buy their own copies anyway but that's the price of being in business.

Alright, I'll bite.

The people who write about these games don't break embargo because if there was no embargo, it would turn into a race to see who can submit the article first. If 1up submits the first article, then they get all the hits, and nobody goes to the other sites. By having a set time to release information, all the big websites have an even chance to get hits.

And if they are rushing to put out previews or reviews or general information, the quality of those articles will be absolute rubbish (yes, even compared to what we get now). It's in their favour to wait until the embargo lifts to publish their review or whatever, because it gives them time to think about and write their stories.

So, no, journalists are not being held hostage. Also, that is a terrible analogy that doesn't even make sense. Also, the fuck do you mean by "grow up"? Other forms of enthusiast press (film, literature, etc) abide by the same concepts. Embargos are not exclusive to game journalism.

I don't think you have thought this through very well.

Something something crysis 2 something something bad graphics something something I think this post is still on topic.

upJTboogie said:
Yeah it's 12PM, 9AM PT tomorrow. So go to bed :p

12pm on release day? What's the point? There will be thousands of online impressions before any of the major review sights get a word in, why would their opinions matter at that point?

Kritz said:

There have been thousands of games released over the course of videogame history with no embargo, and not all of the reviews were rushed garbage. People who rush out a review to be first risk their credibility if the information within is misleading or factually wrong. There's no real reason outlets shouldn't be able to put up a review when it's done, other than pressure from publishers.

sleepykyo

RoboPlato said:
Screens like this always exaggerate resolution differences. Other games that run at lower resolutions than Crysis 2 like Red Dead Redemption don't look anywhere near as blurry as this. This looks like a screen from Black Ops PS3.

Isn't Red Dead Redemption the same resolution as Crysis 2? Less horizontal lines, but the lines were longer. Maybe it is the aspect ratio or AA that makes C2 on the PS3 look blurrier than usual.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
sleepykyo said:
Isn't Red Dead Redemption the same resolution as Crysis 2? Less horizontal lines, but the lines were longer. Maybe it is the aspect ratio or AA that makes C2 on the PS3 look blurrier than usual.
RDR is 1152x640 and Crysis 2 is 1024x720 on PS3. They're really close but Crysis 2 should be a bit sharper.

vanquish is the same res as C2 is on PS3 and it doesn't look THAT blurry.

anyways my $18 X360 copy from amazon should be here within 12hrs.

normally i don't get super pumped about FPS releases but i'm really looking forward to seeing how cryteks work on consoles turned out.

Thanks for answering my query, folks, 360 it is. I would've gone with PS3 with the free online, but I have to renew for the Gears beta anyway, so there you have it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well, predicament Gaf. I was just going to rent this to play SP and mess around in MP but that damn launch trailer was awesome. I have $20 in Best Buy certificates, do I pick this up?

strata8

RoboPlato said:
Oh shit, you're right. I typed it into my calculator wrong. But yeah, Crysis 2 should not look as blurry as it does in that screen cap.
I dunno, RDR on the PS3 was still pretty blurry:
IntroOddities_PS3_000.jpg.jpg

I'm going to wait for DF direct captures since the LoT comparison really contradicts what everyone is saying about the resolution on the PS3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NotTarts said:
I dunno, RDR on the PS3 was still pretty blurry:
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/1/0/1/8/9/5/IntroOddities_PS3_000.jpg.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I guess that kind of illustrates my original point that when on a TV it won't be as pronounced as in screens. RDR looks way sharper than that on my set.

DoomGyver

I'm gonna wait for impressions about lag/netcode before I pick this up. Is it true that it does not require EAs online pass?

Lingitiz

Deadly Cyclone said:
Well, predicament Gaf. I was just going to rent this to play SP and mess around in MP but that damn launch trailer was awesome. I have $20 in Best Buy certificates, do I pick this up?
I'd say pick it up unless reviews in the morning tomorrow say otherwise and you have time to sink into a big shooter.

Full Recovery said:
I'm gonna wait for impressions about lag/netcode before I pick this up. Is it true that it does not require EAs online pass?
It does NOT require it.

Lingitiz said:
I'd say pick it up unless reviews in the morning tomorrow say otherwise and you have time to sink into a big shooter.
After putting in a couple hours, I think this game will score in the 8's. It's gorgeous and fun but has its fair share of problems.

I dunno the PS3 version looks and plays fine to me. I'm 2 hours in and the HUD is very clear on my 50 inch samsung 3D TV. The multiplayer demo really is not reflective of how the final build looks and plays.

Top Bottom