• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Lingitiz

-Yeti said:
Man hopefully all this talk about graphics dies down once people have played it. It got super old super fast.
Yeah seriously its hard to get any talk in here about the actual game. Everyone's just arguing about things that ultimately won't matter by the time the game is out.

M.W.

NotTarts said:
h2h_lens_zoom_02mp.jpg

h2h_lens_zoom_01mp.jpg

I have to say, I'm not seeing much difference here.

Bu...bu...bu...it's obvious, duh!

This thread is insane.

strata8

I really would've liked something like Homefront's multiplayer in Crysis 2. From what I've heard, it seems really similar to what we had in the original Crysis, just more polished.

The mp of the ps3 demo was without doubt more blurry than it was on the 360, however if your playing it are you really going to care its not as if your going to have the 360 version running to the side of you to compair. I played rdr on ps3 even though i have an xbox and enjoyed the game, i will be doing the same with this as i have no friends on my xbox getting this making it an easy choice for me. Its looking the 360 one will be sharper but that both console versions are looking pretty nice, get the version your friends are playing or the version you like the pad on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I can't wait until people stop caring about the graphics and start playing and creating awesome scenarios and having fun with Crysis.

So hyped.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
I can't wait until people stop caring about the graphics and start playing and creating awesome scenarios and having fun with Crysis.

So hyped.
Well people are still talking about Crysis 1 graphics and screenshots, so you've got 3+ years to wait. =P

THRILLH0

Banned
Kritz said:
Alright, I'll bite.

The people who write about these games don't break embargo because if there was no embargo, it would turn into a race to see who can submit the article first. If 1up submits the first article, then they get all the hits, and nobody goes to the other sites. By having a set time to release information, all the big websites have an even chance to get hits.

And if they are rushing to put out previews or reviews or general information, the quality of those articles will be absolute rubbish (yes, even compared to what we get now). It's in their favour to wait until the embargo lifts to publish their review or whatever, because it gives them time to think about and write their stories.

First of all, you know as well as I do that that is not why embargoes are put into place by publishers. There's no altruistic plan to ensure that the hits are spread around. It's all about protecting day 1 sales.

Secondly, if that's the result then so be it. If sites choose to rush out poor reviews then the readership will go to other sources.

So, no, journalists are not being held hostage. Also, that is a terrible analogy that doesn't even make sense.

Well you're flat out wrong here because the 1UP and GiantBomb guys have previously talked about adhering to embargoes due to repercussions from publishers in the form of access to future content.

Furthermore, you're contradicting yourself. If an early review would get a website "all the hits" what reason is there to abide by the embargo other than future repercussions?

Also, the fuck do you mean by "grow up"? Other forms of enthusiast press (film, literature, etc) abide by the same concepts. Embargos are not exclusive to game journalism.

This issue is BY FAR the most prevalent in the games industry so 'grow up' is a perfectly apt term. Sure, press screenings for films often ask critics to hold reviews until opening day but these are often broken and action is rarely taken by the distributor.

In the games industry, embargoed game reviews are treated like the fucking nuclear codes.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Matt Peckham over at PCWorld posted some impressions earlier today. (I'm sure lots of people will note, vocally, that even though he's at PCWorld he's posting 360 impressions, but whatevs.)

Most of the opening level plays like hide and seek, or tag with bullets, working you through suit functions and showing you how enemies work in teams, radioing after each other, Metal Gear-style. The enemies I'm fighting--they looks like SWAT teams, but I'm still not sure--scan all angles constantly and spot me unless I'm truly hidden. And they move. Most don't wake up then go back to sleep, or follow patrols loops. They stick their noses into everything, and if you rile them up, they come after you, probing and perusing, wending their way between tents, fences, sandbags, sandbag walls, fountains, and the odd New York City tree.

Sounds good to me.

aegies

Big Ass Ramp said:
anyone know, are we 30 minutes out from ign's review going live?

Tomorrow morning at 9, along with our video review, a video comparison between platforms, a disclosure piece about the review event, and some other stuff throughout the day.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
WreckTheLaw said:
Matt Peckham over at PCWorld posted some impressions earlier today. (I'm sure lots of people will note, vocally, that even though he's at PCWorld he's posting 360 impressions, but whatevs.)

Sounds good to me.

wow that's pretty positive

Blizzard

Banned
Well I need to go to bed before I spoil myself further, but I am quite impressed by that 360 stream. Makes me want the game...

*edit* LOL at the guy getting owned by the flanking alien while he tried to camp the other one. I was so hoping the AI was at least smart enough to do that.

Dilemma

Can't wait to get the game. This will be my first multiplayer fps experience, I'm more of a MMORPG guy. Going pc version of course, though I might get the Xbox controller in the long run if I get owned too badly.

For the people who bought it on the EA store or Download2Drive, does it install like a standalone game that allows me to use commands like +g_radialBlur=0?

It seems kind of odd to me that their site hasn't released all info by now on all maps, weapons, attachments etc and that you have to go to links like this to get your information, unless I missed it somewhere.

iratA

TommyManberg said:
I dunno the PS3 version looks and plays fine to me. I'm 2 hours in and the HUD is very clear on my 50 inch samsung 3D TV. The multiplayer demo really is not reflective of how the final build looks and plays.

Damn I hope your right because that was my biggest problem with PS3 version. But my baseline was the MP demo. Also comparison screens with the 360 version shown earlier in this thread displayed the same problems, not sure if they were grabs from the MP demo though?

Gvaz

Banned
scitek said:
Too bad the animations in Metro are shit.
What? I have the pc version and I rather liked the animations. The part where the kid is running to show you something in the little town, had a real sense of motion and speed. I was impressed.

Q8D3vil

Gvaz said:
What? I have the pc version and I rather liked the animations. The part where the kid is running to show you something in the little town, had a real sense of motion and speed. I was impressed.
i only played the first 10 minutes i thought the monsters animation were really cool

Big-ass Ramp

whoa did anyone else just see on the stream how the alien kicked down that cop car and it went rolling down the hill, all in real time? that was really really cool.

Blizzard

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
whoa did anyone else just see on the stream how the alien kicked down that cop car and it went rolling down the hill, all in real time? that was really really cool.
Yeah, and I could have sworn I saw an alien shoot down a tree earlier, don't think it was scripted. AI doesn't look super impressive so far, but at least it's partway there! :D

The dynamic lighting is VERY impressive, things like alien shots going behind the player and then highlighting the walls as they explode. I hope the lighting in this makes Epic actually try for dynamic lighting in UE3/UDK. It may be really unlikely, but it'd be great to have competing engines without long baked lighting times. :O

sfedai0

Banned
Ive never seen a game so scrutinized over just graphics.....how does this game stand as a FPS?? Is this game actually fun to play?

Big-ass Ramp

looks like this does the same thing as homefront and plants a big "press A to skip" over the cutscenes. I hate that.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I wish the Steam pre-load was up for the UK, too. Hate staying up late Thursday nights to have it pre-loaded for Friday when they put it up last minute.

When they do it 2/3 days before is the sweet spot.

I like PC games in my Steam library. I don't buy PC games if they're not on Steam.

you can buy it on steam and add to the steam library.

Veelk

Banned
I still haven't finished playing Crysis. I'm at the part where I'm controlling the air ship. How much more do I have to go before I can start 2?

sfedai0 said:
Ive never seen a game so scrutinized over just graphics.....how does this game stand as a FPS?? Is this game actually fun to play?

No one knows. They're still too busy arguing over the graphics. Is it even a game?

Big-ass Ramp

Deadly Cyclone said:
So, if I buy this, what do I need to know story-wise from the first game? Anything? Characters? Should I just read the Wiki?

the crazy guy is named psycho.

that's all you need to know.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Generic said:
I still haven't finished playing Crysis. I'm at the part where I'm controlling the air ship. How much more do I have to go before I can start 2?

Basically at the end.

nib95

Banned
One great thing about Crysis 2 based on reviews I've read is the length. Finally a solid fps that is around 13 hours long. That's what you call better value for money. Sick of modern fps's being 6 or so hours long. At $60/£40 that's absolute bollocks.

strata8

nib95 said:
One great thing about Crysis 2 based on reviews I've read is the length. Finally a solid fps that is around 13 hours long. That's what you call better value for money. Sick of modern fps's being 6 or so hours long. At $60/£40 that's absolute bollocks.
Someone on YouTube said it was boring and they finished it in 5 1/2 hours. I asked them why, and they said they just 'cloaked past all of the enemies'. :lol

nib95

Banned
NotTarts said:
Someone on YouTube said it was boring and they finished it in 5 1/2 hours. I asked them why, and they said they just 'cloaked past all of the enemies'. :lol

Guy sounds like an dolt. That and my assumption is he's playing a pirated copy. I have this theory that when you're playing an illegal copy of a game, you just don't generally get as much enjoyment from it or treat it in the same vain. Obviously not always, but most times.

People who download games tend to go through games like candy. Whereas when you buy something with your hard earned, there's that extra incentive to really give it time and effort and get your money's worth.

Top Bottom