• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
supermackem said:
I wouldnt use cod 4 as any sort of level for teh gfxxxx apart from the great fps. Cod 4 really dude?.
When you see the low resolution textures, low and unstable framerate, pop-ups, triangles on water ripples, disproportioned characters, fire and smoke that look like flat textures, and trees that have obvious flat textures and no depth, yes, I think CoD4 looks better. It's been awhile since I played any CoD games, but from what I remember, it looks better. The only thing that probaby looks better in Crysis two are the faces and grass.

Edit - All I can tell people is to wait and see. It's laughable really. I'm almost speechless. I haven't been this disappointed in a game since Metroid - Other M. Luckily in this case, there's still the PC version.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
NotTarts said:
How low are we talking about here?

low enough to think that sub HD, terrible AA, chugging framerate, horrible pop-in / LOD ; constitutes a technical marvel.

NotTarts said:
Does anyone think the game looks a bit... cartoony?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12527604/crysis/pictures/Crysis2_023.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm fine with something more "stylized"

Crysis went for mostly realism. It succeeded in some parts such as character models, post-processing, etc. but failed in others like Trees, Foliage, etc.

CozMick

Banned
Corky said:
low enough to think that sub HD, terrible AA, chugging framerate, horrible pop-in / LOD ; constitutes a technical marvel.

I'll agree that Crysis 2 shouldn't be classed as a technical marvel, because the amount of corner cutting Crytek had to do is off the scale.

eso76

i'll try to explain the weird graphics comments around the net to GAF.

This is a GT5 case. Graphics are gorgeous but there are apparent flaws; and that's all people who don't really understand the tech side of things will notice.
You have lod pop in, some shadows flickering, weird disappearances of large structures when you turn around and they 'assume' they're not in your field of view anymore (but they are) etc.
Doesn't change the fact the game looks incredible and Cryengine 3 is a beast on consoles.

Thinking the jungle from Crysis was dropped to keep environments simple for consoles is very wrong, i think the complexity of the scenery is unprecedented in a fps (large open areas with tons of interiors, hiding places, tunnels, collapsed structures you can enter and climb to snipe enemies etc) plus the game throws an amount of stuff at you that puts even Reach to shame at times.

I still don't understand why going the unified lighting way when day/night cycle doesn't happen in realtime though

CozMick said:
I'll agree that Crysis 2 shouldn't be classed as a technical marvel, because the amount of corner cutting Crytek had to do is off the scale.

Agree, i dont think most people are either there are two extremes on here as normal with gaf. One is omfg best console game ever scee wws eat your heart out and the other is its a n64 game worse than cod 4 it shouldnt see the light of day. My bets is it falling in between the two, a decent looking console game with some issues.

sinnergy

NotTarts said:
Does anyone think the game looks a bit... cartoony?

Crysis2_023.jpg

No, but I do see one of the best ingame character models ha.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MadOdorMachine said:
When you see the low resolution textures, low and unstable framerate, pop-ups, triangles on water ripples, disproportioned characters, fire and smoke that look like flat textures, and trees that have obvious flat textures and no depth, yes, I think CoD4 looks better. It's been awhile since I played any CoD games, but from what I remember, it looks better. The only thing that probaby looks better in Crysis two are the faces and grass.

Edit - All I can tell people is to wait and see. It's laughable really. I'm almost speechless. I haven't been this disappointed in a game since Metroid - Other M. Luckily in this case, there's still the PC version.

Have you not played Call of Duty 4?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
_tetsuo_ said:
Have you not played Call of Duty 4?

Rocksolid 60 fps + "smoke and mirror" visuals > jittery 30fps + makeup on a pig

edit : with regards to consoleversions obviously

Heavy said:
FOV 90 is crazy. I dunno how people play FPS' at 90 unless they're related to a tuna. 75 or bust lol

horse_with_blinders_small.jpg

Most pc fps games have always used 90 degrees fov as a default, and many competitive players use 100 and higher.

A lower fov is used for one reason only : performance 'cheat' and call it optimising...

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I think 80 fov is the sweet spot, I tried 90 fov on the recent PC crysis mp demo and I could see a slight fisheye effect that was distracting.

Xanathus

lowrider007 said:
I think 80 fov is the sweet spot, I tried 90 fov on the recent PC crysis mp demo and I could see a slight fisheye effect that was distracting.
FOV is dependent on monitor size, wider screens should have wider FOVs.

The rollercoaster in here is crazy. People need to learn to manage their expectations better.

Expecting hardware this old to move mountains in terms of visuals is just asking for disappointment. It's that kind of pressure that means you get a fucked up framerate in favour of eye candy.

MadOdorMachine said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtBgLgrTaI#t=8m6s

Watch this video. First of all, the guy runs thru so fast you can't see a lot of the problems. You can see the low rez textures and framerate issues though. There's a reason this game is so dark as well. They're trying to hide the ugliness of the game.

Ehm, i guess people will do ANYTHING to get attention. Saying that that looks worse than Cod4 is so stupid i don't even know where to begin. But hey, you got ppl's attention, mission accomplished!

That Gould guy is annoying. Every thing I've heard from him is "you gotta get outta there, man. They're coming for you."

Or "I gotta get outta here. They're coming for me, man."

CELL ARE CLOSING IN FAST!!! YOU GOTTA GET OUTTA THERE AND I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!!

strata8

universalmind said:
That Gould guy is annoying. Every thing I've heard from him is "you gotta get outta there, man. They're coming for you."

Or "I gotta get outta here. They're coming for me, man."

CELL ARE CLOSING IN FAST!!! YOU GOTTA GET OUTTA THERE AND I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!!
I LEFT MY CODES IN MY GIRLFRIENDS APARTMENT, MAN

Shurs

AShep said:
First of all, you know as well as I do that that is not why embargoes are put into place by publishers. There's no altruistic plan to ensure that the hits are spread around. It's all about protecting day 1 sales.

I reviewed Killzone 3. I got the game two or three weeks before the embargo date. The embargo date was two or three weeks before the game's release date.

How was that embargo about protecting Day One sales?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MadOdorMachine said:

With that description, I thought you were talking about CoD4. The textures are so much lower resolution than Crysis 2, the smoke and fire is completely flat, the framerate is not a steady 60 fps, the environments are microscopic compared to Crysis 2, the foliage is a joke, etc.

It looked decent enough for 2007, but even then, the limitations were pretty clear. I can't even believe you are making such a wild suggestion. The only area where Crysis 2 falls down is framerate and the excellent motion blur helps make up for it a bit.

Rocksolid 60 fps + "smoke and mirror" visuals > jittery 30fps + makeup on a pig
Rock solid 60 fps? Ha ha ha, no. Not even close. CoD4 (and all of the console CoD games) drop frames on a near constant basis. When nothing is happening, it's 60, but the second the action heats up, you start losing performance (especially on PS3).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Itt some people can't comprehend large open detailed levels > linear corridors with next to no interactivity. Just the fact you compare the visuals of Crysis 2 to strictly linear shooters to come up with something marginally better at best (in still screenshots that don't show the scope of each game of course, not to mention the low res the recent COD games run on consoles to keep their performance stable - and still fail to do that in the single player campaign) shows you're clueless. Also lol @ implying COD4 has higher res textures. Even on PC they're a mess dude. It's pretty much a "last gen" game in technology. Of course there aren't strict generations on PC. So yeah, of course it performs way better on any system you throw it. Pac-Man would perform even better with unlocked fps, lol. I'll be playing on PC but this is a feat for 5 year old hardware.

Top Bottom