• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Deadly Cyclone said:
Just read the Wiki for the first game, so does this game start on the island then? To rescue
Prophet?

No,
Prophet
is leading the operation, it's all about rescuing some scientists, or so you're lead to believe when you start the game.

If you guys played Crysis 1, and wondered if Prophet did know you were there for something else, something much more important, yes he did know much, much more. From what I can tell so far in Crysis 2, he knew about everything going on on that island.

Crysis 2's story, apart from the flashbacks, doesn't seem that good. It feels like I'm aimlessly touring New York killing bad guys, I don't get any sense there's an actual story going on. I need to finish the last 3 levels though.

_tetsuo_ said:
Crytek's take on the "destroyed city" look is the best I've seen, easily.

Yeah. I thought the same as everyone when they said it was gonna be in NY, but the city actually steals the show here.

If you look at it from a creative standpoint the move to New York actually makes sense. A destroyed city allows for much more creative, mind blowing scenarios.

Guys, what should I do? Buy it now so I can play in a 2 hours with pre-order bonuses, or wait for 2 more days and buy it for half-price? I just can't decide.

BeeDog

I may have missed this, but is there an official/canon explanation on why the aliens look so radically different from the ones in C1/C:W?

Nabs

The_Player said:
Guys, what should I do? Buy it now so I can play in a 2 hours with pre-order bonuses, or wait for 2 more days and buy it for half-price? I just can't decide.
Ya just've killed PC gaming.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
BeeDog said:
I may have missed this, but is there an official/canon explanation on why the aliens look so radically different from the ones in C1/C:W?

Not sure how official the sources are, or if there are any at all, but the Crysis Wiki has some speculation in its Aliens and Ceph articles, which cite adaptation to both Earth's gravity and to combat with humans.

DoomGyver

How many maps are there? and the 360/PS3 versions are 6 vs 6 right? How many game modes?

Sorry, really haven't been keeping up with the MP side of things.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Full Recovery said:
How many maps are there? and the 360/PS3 versions are 6 vs 6 right? How many game modes?

Sorry, really haven't been keeping up with the MP side of things.

Looking like 12 maps, and yes 6v6. Game modes, I don't know. CTF has been confirmed, which looks to be a ton of fun in this game. Now all I need is a no-respawn team elimination mode and I will be set.

strata8

BeeDog said:
I think they genetically modified themselves to respirate in the outside world and the red colour is a result of that. But maybe that's completely wrong.

Dilly

Banned
Aren't the aliens from Crysis 2 just the aliens from Crysis 1 but in suits so they can survive the gravity of earth?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just played the opening level of the PS3 version
from the submarine to the first cityscape
So far, I'm extremely disappointed in the graphics. Water looks like crap - you can see tringles in the ripples. Smoke and fire is bad. Framerate is bad. Resolution is bad. Pop up is bad. I don't know where to begin. Fortunately I've got the PC version coming in tomorrow from Amazon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MadOdorMachine said:
So far, I'm extremely disappointed in the graphics. Water looks like crap - you can see tringles in the ripples. Smoke and fire is bad. Framerate is bad. Resolution is bad. Pop up is bad. I don't know where to begin. Fortunately I've got the PC version coming in tomorrow from Amazon.

careful now, people will call you a madman for not agreeing that this game will set the visual bar for consolegames generations to come...

eso76

loving it

may i suggest you guys pay attention to brightness when the game asks you if you want to adjust it, because i noticed that's the first time default values are not optimal.
cranking it to 70 or 80 removes black crush and the excessive contrast. IQ will benefit from it and it won't look washed out at all.

BeeDog

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Anyway, is the game really 12-13 hours, as some state, or is it again a case of ballooning the number? I truly wish the campaign is that long.

strata8

MadOdorMachine said:
Crysis 2 impressions are so conflicting :p

strata8

BeeDog said:
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Anyway, is the game really 12-13 hours, as some state, or is it again a case of ballooning the number? I truly wish the campaign is that long.
If you play like I do, exploring and thinking about different ways to approach the situation, then yeah, that's probably how long it will be.

If you run-and-gun and cloak past the parts where this tactic can't be used, though (like that guy from Youtube), I'm guessing you'll hit ~6 hours.

RiverBed

Banned
So since the game is finally out, can any PC gamer confirm if it looks better than the first? I need a showcase for my PC and the first Crysis is an unoptimized bitch. Crysis 2 was a no-brainer show case game for a new rig, but I hear it isn't that evolved graphically from the first and that DX11 is patched in later? So what is the practical word here?

I am not following on the news of this since I don't play my shooters on PC.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
NotTarts said:
Crysis 2 impressions are so conflicting :p
It's in no way the best looking console game. Judging by the KZ3 demo, I'd say it's the better looking game of the two. UC2 looks better. There's so many things wrong with it, I really don't know where to begin. CoD4 & MW2 look better imo. I just want to get the PC version and forget this travesty ever happened. Ick.

MadOdorMachine said:
It's in no way the best looking console game. Judging by the KZ3 demo, I'd say it's the better looking game of the two. UC2 looks better. There's so many things wrong with it, I really don't know where to begin. CoD4 & MW2 look better imo. I just want to get the PC version and forget this travesty ever happened. Ick.
What's going on in this post?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
RiverBed said:
So since the game is finally out, can any PC gamer confirm if it looks better than the first? I need a showcase for my PC and the first Crysis is an unoptimized bitch. Crysis 2 was a no-brainer show case game for a new rig, but I hear it isn't that evolved graphically from the first and that DX11 is patched in later? So what is the practical word here?

I am not following on the news of this since I don't play my shooters on PC.
I'm primarily a console gamer, but the first game is still the best as far as graphics go imo. Crysis 2 will probably run better on most PCs since they took out all the trees.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Patrick Bateman said:
What's going on in this post?
I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I should have known after the demo to stay clear of the PS3 version. This thread gave me hope, but it appears it has failed to deliver at the end of the day.

CozMick

Banned
Call of Duty 4? seriously?!

Better looking than Killzone 3 but not Cod4? wow, just WOW!

Thanks to you I will never ever listen to a gaffers opinion ever again :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CozMick said:

GAF is inclusive to people with visual disabilities.

Waikis

nib95 said:
Guy sounds like an dolt. That and my assumption is he's playing a pirated copy. I have this theory that when you're playing an illegal copy of a game, you just don't generally get as much enjoyment from it or treat it in the same vain. Obviously not always, but most times.

People who download games tend to go through games like candy. Whereas when you buy something with your hard earned, there's that extra incentive to really give it time and effort and get your money's worth.

Dont you then have a biased predisposition about the game?
I find people who pirate games are actually the ones who can make an impartial opinion about games. They don't have any allegiances to developers/consoles etc and they certainly dont force themselves to like a game because they paid $60 for it. They simply look at the games for what it is.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
CozMick said:

I don't know how they screwed it up that bad, but yes, I think CoD4 looks better on PS3 than Crysis 2. I would rather have a game not try to push as many bells and whistles at you and run well than to fail in pretty much every department. I don't even know what to say. There's a reason they didn't show the PS3 version all this time. I can't comment on the 360 version, but I'm taking this piece of crap into Gamestop first thing in the morning. Crytek seriously dropped the ball on this and it's the worst case of false advertising I think I've ever seen.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Waikis said:
Dont you then have a biased predisposition about the game?
I find people who pirate games are actually the ones who can make an impartial opinion about games. They don't have any allegiances to developers/consoles etc and they certainly dont force themselves to like a game because they paid $60 for it. They simply look at the games for what it is.
Valueless, according to their standards. I'm sure they're the preeminent authority on digital entertainment.

MadOdorMachine said:
I don't know how they screwed it up that bad, but yes, I think CoD4 looks better on PS3 than Crysis 2. I would rather have a game not try to push as many bells and whistles at you and run well than to fail in pretty much every department. I don't even know what to say. There's a reason they didn't show the PS3 version all this time. I can't comment on the 360 version, but I'm taking this piece of crap into Gamestop first thing in the morning. Crytek seriously dropped the ball on this and it's the worst case of false advertising I think I've ever seen.

This is going against all the ps3 footage we are getting on youtube atm.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
MadOdorMachine said:

If you think CoD4 looks better then Crysis2 then you'd better hand in your PS3 and tv at Gamestop while you're there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
supermackem said:
This is going against all the ps3 footage we are getting on youtube atm.

LOL at us posting right after each other. Hope things are going well for you mate.

strata8

Does anyone think the game looks a bit... cartoony?

Crysis2_023.jpg

Top Bottom