• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

S1kkZ

played the 360 version for about an hour: the framerate really bothers me.
the game never runs smooth (with 30fps), there is always this constant stutter (reminded me alot of castlevania). when you are in the more open areas, the the stutter gets worse.

it looks stunning but with that framerate, its pretty useless to me (i am very sensitive when it comes to slowdowns and stuttering). if you dont have a problem with castlevania and torchligh (xbla) (which have the same issues), then you should be fine with c2.

S1kkZ said:
the game never runs smooth (with 30fps), there is always this constant stutter (reminded me alot of castlevania). when you are in the more open areas, the the stutter gets worse.

it looks stunning but with that framerate, its pretty useless to me (i am very sensitive when it comes to slowdowns and stuttering). if you dont have a problem with castlevania and torchligh (xbla) (which have the same issues), then you should be fine with c2.
Did you install the game on your 360's HDD? The game seems to be running much smoother if you do this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ConradCervantes said:
Yeah, PS3 version is fine. No need for FUD.
Kind of what's been happening for the entire thread practically. It's more than fine and the 360 version is not much better. I can't wait for some decent PC videos to start popping up. I said this yesterday before going to work and today is the day of release. I might cave in and trade some games in for the PC version.

Sh1ner said:
ok the MAXIMUM voice is grating as hell.
Don't you dare degrade the Christian Bales great name!

dark10x said:
Rock solid 60 fps? Ha ha ha, no. Not even close. CoD4 (and all of the console CoD games) drop frames on a near constant basis. When nothing is happening, it's 60, but the second the action heats up, you start losing performance (especially on PS3).
funny, that's the exact opposite of what Digital Foundry said a few years ago. He said he was surprised by how well it maintained 60 during busy sequences. Anyway, waiting for the Steam unlock....
edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUIrbmMTxAo Digital Foundry Cod4 fps analysis. The 360 version dropped heavily once in the whole video and there was a hell of a lot going on in it.

strata8

S1kkZ said:

Sounds really odd. Framerate drops are fine for me, but console games should never microstutter. Ever.

I'm expecting a lot of patches for this game.

LiquidMetal14

NotTarts said:
Sounds really odd. Framerate drops are fine for me, but console games should never microstutter. Ever.

Coming from 60fps PC gaming, I can see how the sense change. Not that it stops me from enjoying the game but there is slowdown in the majority of console games.

G_Berry

Banned
theignoramus said:
funny, that's the exact opposite of what Digital Foundry said a few years ago. He said he was surprised by how well it maintained 60 during busy sequences. Anyway, waiting for the Steam unlock....
edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUIrbmMTxAo Digital Foundry Cod4 fps analysis. The 360 version dropped heavily once in the whole video and there was a hell of a lot going on in it.

LOL! more fucking youtube comment moron brain spew...

"the frames are lower on the PS3 because the graphics are better"

ffs

LiquidMetal14

G_Berry said:
LOL! more fucking youtube comment moron brain spew...

"the frames are lower on the PS3 because the graphics are better"

ffs
Casual and fanboy driven, always ignore them.

nib95 said:
Not bad. Doesn't seem to be much variety in levels though. Kind of bugs me a little.
I really don't have an interest in watching a trailer for this game but I hope it's not all in the city.

S1kkZ said:

So the framerate is actually worse than in the first demo? Crap.

smik

omg

The graphics discussion/comparisons in this thread is getting so tiresome, cant wait for its release so i can get solid feedback on the gameplay.

MMaRsu

Holy tittyfucking christ are people itt seriously comparing this game to CoD4 and saying that CoD4 actually looks better in places? Console versions that is :|

I mean that's just nonsense.

NotTarts said:

I have a feeling s1kkz is sensitive to sub-30 fps games. Castlevania ran at 24 fps and I had no problem with it. It's one of my favorite games of 2010

infinityBCRT said:
I have a feeling s1kkz is sensitive to sub-30 fps games. Castlevania ran at 24 fps and I had no problem with it. It's one of my favorite games of 2010

I couldn't play a shooter with a framerate comparable to Castlevania's. Microstutter annoys me more than a few framerate drops here and there.

I hated that stutter in God of War 3 too.

http://www.statepress.com/2011/03/22/crytek-invents-a-revolutionary-masterpiece-in-crysis-2/

5/5

Crytek invents a revolutionary masterpiece
Even though “Crysis” still feels more at home on a PC, by pushing the technical limits of the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, “Crysis 2” provides a wider audience of players with an incredibly rewarding campaign and remarkable combative multi-player that will awe players as a revolutionary adventure. Splicing “Crysis 2’s” fantastic gameplay with its surreally beautiful graphics sets this title up to be 2011’s game of the year.

So enough graphics nonsense. Anymore talk on the AI because the videos make the AI look retarded and there was some comments earlier that it seemed bugged. Enjoyed the AI on high difficulty in Crysis, would hate to see it greatly dumbed down.

Also how about how open areas are? Does the game give you freedom to move around or is it all cleverly hidden walls? Videos make it seem like a corridor shooter now with pretty open visuals, but still you are stuck in a corridor of where you can move. Is there any vehicles in this? They were a big part of the original game.

scitek

BattleMonkey said:
So enough graphics nonsense. Anymore talk on the AI because the videos make the AI look retarded and there was some comments earlier that it seemed bugged. Enjoyed the AI on high difficulty in Crysis, would hate to see it greatly dumbed down.

Also how about how open areas are? Does the game give you freedom to move around or is it all cleverly hidden walls? Videos make it seem like a corridor shooter now with pretty open visuals, but still you are stuck in a corridor of where you can move. Is there any vehicles in this? They were a big part of the original game.

Yeah, this bugs me too. The first game had 500 sq. mi of terrain in which you could move about and do whatever you wanted. Hoping the move to the city hasn't changed it much.

Rengoku

All these great reviews coming out before the official embargo...
After the Homefront bullshit where they cherry picked the 'exclusive' reviews to come out before the embargo, I'm abit more cautious...

Shurs

Foliorum Viridum said:
"a revolutionary masterpiece" haha

With quotes like that it still baffles me why anyone reads reviews. Give me a few knowledgable Gaffers any day.

I love pull-quotes.

I've been looking to fit "This is the feel-good shooter of the year" into one of my reviews.

cgcg

S1kkZ said:

at this point its pretty obvious from the videos. Those who trying to convince people otherwise are probably insensitive to crapppy framerate or just bs'ing.

strata8

scitek said:
Yeah, this bugs me too. The first game had 500 sq. mi of terrain in which you could move about and do whatever you wanted. Hoping the move to the city hasn't changed it much.
Either way, Crysis was still set in a corridor (albeit a very large one). I don't see how anyone can deny that. The harbor level (forgotten the name) is probably an exception to this, though.

DaBuddaDa

NotTarts said:
Either way, Crysis was still set in a corridor (albeit a very large one). I don't see how anyone can deny that. The harbor level (forgotten the name) is probably an exception to this, though.
If you zoom out far enough, the entire universe is just a corridor, man!

scitek

DaBuddaDa said:
That's a review from a student newspaper. C'mon GAF. Standards! Have them!

People here are waiting for IGN's review...

NotTarts said:

I wasn't being serious. Crysis was the ocean on one side and a big rock wall on the other. You want open-world jungle, play Just Cause 2.

Spookie

BattleMonkey said:
Is there any vehicles in this? They were a big part of the original game.

If I've heard correctly there are only two vehicle moments in it. Both are essentially long corridors you drive down. The gameplay looks like it's moved from vast open areas to smaller playgrounds where you get a fair bit of control over how you'd like to approach the situation but you till have to go through the pre-defined 'exit' corridor which moves you on to the next enviroment.

edit: This is all speculation on what I've seen so far btw.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
theignoramus said:
The drops are not crushing by any means, but you lose the fluidity of 60 fps pretty often.

I've only spent a bit of time with the 360 version, of course, but the PS3 version suffered from this on a constant basis. It would still maintain a framerate over 30 fps most of the time, but anything under 60 and above 30 results in juddering.

Still, it definitely runs faster than Crysis 2 and I think it's pretty clear why. The game is just doing so much less.

strata8

Spookie said:
If I've heard correctly there are only two vehicle moments in it. Both are essentially long corridors you drive down. The gameplay looks like it's moved from vast open areas to smaller playgrounds where you get a fair bit of control over how you'd like to approach the situation but you till have to go through the pre-defined 'exit' corridor which moves you on to the next enviroment.

edit: This is all speculation on what I've seen so far btw.
Drivable vehicles are available in the more open areas.

Still, I'm not sure if anyone really expected huge, open, Crysis 1-island style areas in New York.

Top Bottom