• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Mystery

ixiRVl.jpg

These are the graphics options for the retail game. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Got my physical PC copy and installing now!

Get hype!!!11

Just enjoy the game. You'll be able to come back later and tweak the hell out of the INI files just like Crysis. Did people really end up using the various options in the original? Most people created their own configs rather than relying on Crytek's settings.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Mystery said:
ixiRVl.jpg

If I were one to rush to judgement, I'd say that this is all I need to know about the game and direction Crytek has taken.

CozMick said:
A masterpiece?.............please!

That shit gets thrown around for almost every hyped game.

You are right, i've heard this 100 times before with big budget games and in the end i'm usally disappointed. I'v played in my entire life only a few real "masterpieces".

The ultimate masterpiece, in my book, is Shenmue. :)

aegies

Corky said:
Answered your own question I think. Ign will probably review it much more favorably ( no offence Arthur ), whereas RPS will go kneedeep into the pc-centric stuff ( which are at this point reduced in favour of a more "continuous" multi-platform quality ).

i.e good press > less good press

We didn't get a PC review code. I'm downloading it right now like the rest of you, and have to burn through it. I played the PC version for about 5 hours at the review event, but I didn't consider that reviewable.

Hari Seldon

Big Ass Ramp said:
If I were one to rush to judgement, I'd say that this is all I need to know about the game and direction Crytek has taken.

It is all I need to know in order to wait for a sale to buy it. No need for day 1 when the game isn't completed on PC yet.

nib95

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
But I can't change a ton of settings I'll never care about!

If you'll never care about AA/AF etc, then you're basically missing the point of graphical IQ. One of the reasons why Crysis 2 is hyped so much is because of it's graphical prowess. And yes, IQ does fall under all of that.

DaBuddaDa

nib95 said:
If you'll never care about AA/AF etc, then you're basically missing the point of graphical IQ. One of the reasons why Crysis 2 is hyped so much is because of it's graphical prowess. And yes, IQ does fall under all of that.
You can edit all of that in the configuration files.

B-Dex

Picked up the PS3 version.

Got a few missions/chapters/levels, whatever you want to call them :p, in. Been really impressed actually. The visuals, even on the "inferior, lower res" PS3 version, are pretty great. Some of the set pieces are amazing and make you wonder how they pulled it off.

My one big gripe would be that when you scope out an are and see maybe 5-8 guys total. Once you engage them, if you don't wanna stealth around, about 20 more soldiers show up.

Fighting the Ceph has been the highlight along with the crazy set pieces.

Multiplayer did not seem to look like as much ass as the PS3 demo in my opinion. So far my fav map has been Terminal. It's a bit more cramped than the others which makes it more frrantic and adds to the fun.

DeadRockstar said:
As far as I'm aware you can force MLAA on anything because it uses direct compute.
right, but i doubt there'll be much point forcing mlaa on, if you can't force off TAA, cause it's still going to have the ghosting and other issues of TAA after the MLAA pass.

i'm presuming that there'll be a console command to kill the TAA.

nib95 said:

Can't tell the difference with that on or off anyway, so I don't care if it's there or not.

Miggytronz

B-Dex said:

Got a few missions/chapters/levels, whatever you want to call them :p, in. Been really impressed actually. The visuals, even on the "inferior, lower res" PS3 version, are pretty great. Some of the set pieces are amazing and make you wonder how they pulled it off.

My one big gripe would be that when you scope out an are and see maybe 5-8 guys total. Once you engage them, if you don't wanna stealth around, about 20 more soldiers show up.

Multiplayer did not seem to look like as much ass as the PS3 demo in my opinion. So far my fav map has been Terminal. It's a bit more cramped than the others which makes it more frrantic and adds to the fun.

good to hear

nib95

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
Can't tell the difference with that on or off anyway, so I don't care if it's there or not.

Lol. Trust me, if you knew what I was talking about, you most definitely could tell the difference.

Corky said:
Answered your own question I think. Ign will probably review it much more favorably ( no offence Arthur ), whereas RPS will go kneedeep into the pc-centric stuff ( which are at this point reduced in favour of a more "continuous" multi-platform quality ).

i.e good press > less good press
Is there anyone out there that doesn't already know what RPS is going to say about the game? This is just my opinion but RPS reviews are elitist, smarmy, overly-critical, and attention-whoring to the extreme.

No need to look further than their disgusting review of New Vegas: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/21/wot-i-think-fallout-new-vegas/
Even their horde of loyal followers in the comments below were raising their eyebrows about that one (read the third comment by "Nick C" and the replies).

RPS is like the Edge of online reviews except not nearly as well-written and well-thought-out. I've completely ignored their reviews for quite some time now.

No AA options, but I'm not missing them. It bests the first Crysis in every way and runs like butter on Extreme on my machine (4870, 6 gigs ram, i5 760 2.8ghz). Just enjoy the immense polish (both in game and UI).

And if anyone runs into the melee breaking bug, just restart the game.

nib95 said:
Lol. Trust me, if you knew what I was talking about, you most definitely could tell the difference.

I know what AF and AA is, and I can't tell the difference when I'm playing. You could post 2 pics of a comparison and I'll notice, but not playing.

bluedeviltron said:
No AA options, but I'm not missing them. It bests the first Crysis in every way and runs like butter on Extreme on my machine (4870, 6 gigs ram, i5 760 2.8ghz). Just enjoy the immense polish (both in game and UI).

What res you running at? I have a pretty similar set up, if I can get >30fps on extreme that would be pretty great.

Peterthumpa

bluedeviltron said:

Pics or fail. =)

Ickman3400 said:
I know what AF and AA is, and I can't tell the difference when I'm playing. You could post 2 pics of a comparison and I'll notice, but not playing.

You want me to believe you've never noticed aliasing at any point when playing a game?

I'm not suggesting it needs to be a big deal for everybody, but what the fuck.

DeadRockstar said:
You want me to believe you've never noticed aliasing at any point when playing a game?

I'm not suggesting it needs to be a big deal for everybody, but what the fuck.

Nope. I've cranked AA to max on some games before, and all I noticed was a framerate drop so I set it back to either nothing or the lowest AA. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of games at all.

Peterthumpa

Ickman3400 said:
Nope. I've cranked AA to max on some games before, and all I noticed was a framerate drop so I set it back to either nothing or the lowest AA. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of games at all.
I wish I was like you.

nib95

Banned
Ickman3400 said:

If you don't notice the aliasing or lack of AF when playing certain games (including Crysis 2 consoles, no idea what the PC version is like) then you need new eyes lol. Either that, or I envy you. Not being affected by crappy IQ like TAA and 0xAF must be awesome...

scitek

Right after I bitch about my download speed, it rocketed up to the max my connection allows.

Man, my bank account is fucking empty.

burgerdog said:
Any idea what the command to kill TAA would be? I want to get rid of it as soon as I start playing.
i'm guessing it has something to do with these variables...

r_FSAA "0 [DUMPTODISK,rEQUIRE_APP_RESTART]"
r_FSAA_quality "0 [DUMPTODISK,rEQUIRE_APP_RESTART]"
r_FSAA_samples "4 [DUMPTODISK,rEQUIRE_APP_RESTART]"
r_PostMSAA "1"
r_PostMSAAInEditingMode "1"
r_PostMSAAMode "2"
r_StereoGammaAdjustment "0.12"
r_UseEdgeAA
sys_flash_edgeaa "1"

r_PostMSAA "0" < is the first thing i'm going to try unless someone else chips in first.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wow was really expecting this game to run like crap on my PC

Turns out it runs phenomenally o_O

Ps I hate that maximum strength/speed is so casualized - the original crysis formula was awesome... They didn't need to change it

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is there any digital download service that will allow me to download the game from the US to the UK or am I really going to have to wait until Friday?

kitch9

Banned
B-Dex said:

They usually call for back-up as soon as you kick off, whereas using stealth they won't

nib95 said:
If you don't notice the aliasing or lack of AF when playing certain games (including Crysis 2 consoles, no idea what the PC version is like) then you need new eyes lol. Either that, or I envy you. Not being affected by crappy IQ like TAA and 0xAF must be awesome...

That's because I just play games. While I'm actually playing I'm not running off to the side to meticulously check each railing of a stairway for jaggies or whatever, I'm just playing and enjoying.

Top Bottom