• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

For what it's worth, I played PS3 version and thought it looked amazing. PS3-only site so didn't touch XBOX 360 version, can't compare. Nor do I care to. I don't really understand this obsession with comparing SKUs to be honest -- how many of you play with two identical copies of the game side by side running on different platforms? I guess, I understand if you own multiple platforms and you want the best version... Maybe.

Anyway. I think the PS3 version is the best looking multiplatform game I've ever played on Sony's machine. However, I still think Killzone 3 and Uncharted 2 are a level above Crysis 2. It's still an outstanding achievement, mind.

As for the game, it's pretty good. The plot is complete nonsense in my opinion, and the game does a poor job explaining the game mechanics. Persevere and there's a rewarding shooter in there though. AI is a bit predictable on standard difficulties, environments are definitely huge though. Lots of tactical options.

aeolist

Banned
MrCompletely said:
THIS is what I was looking for. Sold.
Every other review has said that environments are way more constrained than the first game.

I don't think the IGN reviewer ever played Crysis 1.

sleepykyo

Gvaz said:
Did they seriously give it a whole point less simply for graphics?

It didn't drop the average much. It basically went from 9.3 to 9.1. He should have deducted the dropped the PS3 version to an overall 8 actually.

markao

aegies said:
We didn't get a PC review code. I'm downloading it right now like the rest of you, and have to burn through it. I played the PC version for about 5 hours at the review event, but I didn't consider that reviewable.
Thanks Arthur,

thats why I asked, as I only remmbered you saying you played the PC version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So this is basically a bigger hallway shooter now and NOT open? Mind you I'm in the camp of the semi-open nature of tackling Crysis objectives as one of the best parts of the game. All the screen shots and game play point to the opposite and lack the same setting. I am hoping it's not all in the city. Simpler environments to render compared to the open foliage of the first explain more to me about the performance of this. Especially on consoles. Lots of cool fancy tricks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ickman3400 said:
Isn't it almost always likes this? Barring a very small selection of multiplatform games at least.

It seems to be a growing trend when devs hype up the PS3 as superior hardware but magically fail to convert that into a technically better product. WTF is that all about.

aeolist

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
So this is basically a bigger hallway shooter now and NOT open? Mind you I'm in the camp of the semi-open nature of tackling Crysis objectives as one of the best parts of the game. All the screen shots and game play point to the opposite and lack the same setting. I am hoping it's not all in the city. Simpler environments to render compared to the open foliage of the first explain more to me about the performance of this. Especially on consoles. Lots of cool fancy tricks though.
It's more Halo than CoD but nowhere near the first game

LiquidMetal14

aeolist said:
It's more Halo than CoD but nowhere near the first game
That sounds somewhat ok. At least I get an idea but this definitely doesn't look as open as a Halo game. Not from what I've seen but I'm really not trying to over saturate myself with videos before playing the game.

Gvaz

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
So this is basically a bigger hallway shooter now and NOT open? Mind you I'm in the camp of the semi-open nature of tackling Crysis objectives as one of the best parts of the game. All the screen shots and game play point to the opposite and lack the same setting. I am hoping it's not all in the city. Simpler environments to render compared to the open foliage of the first explain more to me about the performance of this. Especially on consoles. Lots of cool fancy tricks.
The whole game is basically the part of crysis where you're in the alien space ship or on the boat or flying in the airship, rather than the first level where you can go anywhere you want on a big freakin island.

I don't think I should have to spoiler sections of a three+ year old game that doesn't give away too much.

cyberheater said:
It seems to be a growing trend when devs hype up the PS3 as superior hardware but magically fail to convert that into a technically better product. WTF is that all about.
My understanding is you have to go far out of the way and work a lot harder to really make use of the PS3 hardware, something most devs don't care to do.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Gvaz said:
The whole game is basically the part of crysis where you're in the alien space ship or on the boat or flying in the airship, rather than the first level where you can go anywhere you want on a big freakin island.

*shudder*

That's exactly where Crysis 1 stops being fun :(

GANGSTERKILLER said:
IGN:
Fantastic sound effects and positional audio are complimented by one of the best orchestral scores I've ever heard in a game.

Thank you, Hans Zimmer!

Jeff Gerstmann's Giant Bomb review.
Crysis 2's main theme is great, but most of the other music is pretty forgettable. Actually, I found most of the game's audio to be a little lackluster.

My gosh who do I believe. WHO DO I BELIEVE!

sleepykyo

cyberheater said:

Yeah, I do most of my gaming on the PS3 and more or less come to grips that the PS3 version is always going to be inferior to the 360 version. And the trend does seem to be the more they talk up the PS3 version, the worse it is.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm sure it's still fun in a different way, but from all I've seen it's now more like a A->B shooter which isn't the initial draw of Crysis.

Gvaz said:
That's a gross exaggeration. Doesn't sound like that's true at all based on the reviews and neogaf comments like this guy:

Once you make it outdoors, the levels start off large and open ended. You're given just as much freedom to take on each scenario as you were in Crysis.

ElyrionX

Two questions:

1. Is single player open world? The Eurogamer review makes it sound like it is.

2. Is there some kind of online co-op mode? Or is multiplayer just pure deathmatches? No Horde or Firefight or Zombies kind of modes?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
ElyrionX said:
Two questions:

1. Is single player open world? The Eurogamer review makes it sound like it is.

2. Is there some kind of online co-op mode? Or is multiplayer just pure deathmatches? No Horde or Firefight or Zombies kind of modes?
1. No but it is supposed to be more open than most games, instead of CoD where you can't stray off the critical path.

2. Nope just competitive multiplayer.

cyberheater said:
I don't know but that was a year old article, maybe something changed.

Du2andal

Banned
What the FUCK. My download on steam just dropped from 90% to 10% for no reason. I now have 10,207 mb downloaded with 90% to go...

EDIT: I just wanted some sweet Crysis 2 lovin before heading to class!

styl3s

About to go trade in DA2, Homefront and Bulletstorm for this and put a little down on LA Noire.

Game looks BAWSE, wish it had coop though :( , i don't care for competitive online games on consoles.

aeolist

Banned
Heavy said:
That's a gross exaggeration. Doesn't sound like that's true at all based on the reviews and neogaf comments like this guy:
The maps aren't as spacious as those in the original Crysis or in Far Cry 2, which may disappoint fans of the original seeking a healthy dose of sandbox gameplay. Compared to most shooters, however, Crysis 2 still offers plenty of room to maneuver.
Bigger than CoD but smaller than Crysis matches up with every single video posted in this thread.

If you can show me something that looks anywhere near as big and open as the base assaults from Crysis and Warhead I'll be super happy.

Mr_Brit

Banned
cyberheater said:
'We're working really hard to get that PS3 version up to the standard that PS3 gamers expect'= Sub HD and runs at half the framerate.

'We're working really hard to get that PC version up to the standard that PC gamers expect'= P2P networking, no graphical options except res and Vsync, game that is essentially unplayable without a controller.

Time and time again people set themselves up for disapointment and never learn.

mileS

"thats my wife in there you bastard. let me in with her" that line could not have been delivered any more flat/without emotion. I really hope the rest of the voice acting isn't as bad. It stands out even more when they try to use that as an example for a selling point.

If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about watch the Gametrailers review.

cyberheater said:

I just remember virtually every game performing better on 360, likely because of the effort it takes on ps3.

Which is the biggest reason why I'm always left in confusion when console people argue for 20 pages over which version performs better for every AAA game. Don't you guys get it by now?

Afrikan

belvedere said:
Wait, so now we believe IGN's technical opinions?

Haha

Of course we should! this is what they said about MLB The Show 11

8.0 Graphics
Nice animations and player body types seem spot on. The stadiums don't have much visual pop or wow factor.

I think they are technical EXPERTS!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
''We're working really hard to get that PC version up to the standard that PC gamers expect'= P2P networking, no graphical options except res and Vsync, game that is essentially unplayable without a controller.

Have any reviews actually mentioned how the mouse feels in the final game? Or does the community have to fix it like in the demo?

mileS said:
"thats my wife in there you bastard. let me in with her" that line could not have been delivered any more flat/without emotion. I really hope the rest of the voice acting isn't as bad. It stands out even more when they try to use that as an example for a selling point.

If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about watch the Gametrailers review.
Haha it was so wooden and poorly delivered that it seemed like they did it in one take. I still want to play this game on PC though.

DangerStepp

Jadedx said:
Year old article, since then Crytek has learned how to use the 360 more efficiently.
You don't say...
Do you have a source to back up that statement? I'm interested to read further into this.

LiquidMetal14

Afrikan said:
Of course we should! this is what they said about MLB The Show 11

I think they are technical EXPERTS!
Not enough sparks or flying helicopter explosions at Yankee Stadium1!?!?!?!

Gvaz

Banned
I don't know why you guys try to "dick wave" which one is better anyways.

If you played on the PC maybe you wouldn't have these issues
emot-smugeboh.gif

NHale

Ickman3400 said:
I just remember virtually every game performing better on 360, likely because of the effort it takes on ps3.

Which is the biggest reason why I'm always left in confusion when console people argue for 20 pages over which version performs better for every AAA game. Don't you guys get it by now?

Are we in 2009 again?

aeolist said:
Bigger than CoD but smaller than Crysis matches up with every single video posted in this thread.

If you can show me something that looks anywhere near as big and open as the base assaults from Crysis and Warhead I'll be super happy.

You pretty much can't have something as open as Crysis 1 because it's NYC. Unless there's something in Central Park everything else is going to be just kinda open instead of full open.

aeolist said:

This is a pretty big area, you'll be going all the way from here to the building on the center of the screen. It's not only long, but wide as well, by my standards, although maybe not as wide as your standard Crysis 1 area.

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/crysis21.png/

Top Bottom