• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Extreme settings, 1200p resolution.

1Crysis2.bmp

4Crysis2.bmp

JB1981 said:
Started the game on Vet and I think it's too hard for me. Think I'm going to drop down a difficulty level. I find that the enemies are very hard to see in this game. Looking forward to getting home tonight and playing this thing.

Make use of your visor alot to scout out and mark the enemies. It helps you highlight the enemies in areas.

Anyone else run into this super-blur glitch, where the screen becomes extremely blurry for no apparent reason and then goes away after some time?

For instance:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594680945347743330/CE1670F8EFCB64A5A5C1431089727F4538673FD2/
...and no, that's not because I was going fast. I actually stopped to take that picture.

Oh, and while I'm posting screens, check out this beautiful texture!
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594680945346308518/9F67E486E374B310D16576AC10074B2E5E4C4757/

mbmonk

Not liking the game so far. Looks great but the combat is just meh. I think it's because I feel like they neutered the nano suit. I seem so slow all the time compared to Cry1. Croutch walking is painfully slow. Maybe it will click for me later in the game. I am still pretty early on.

EDIT: Is mouse accel on? It's probably just my aiming..

Really digging MP on the 360, but there's some weirdness going on with the audio at times. In-between matches, the music seems get really loud and sometimes in match, my gun audio cuts out for the duration of the round.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic online game, pleasantly surprised.

ugh, so that first vehicle part where you start with the
tank and blow up the wall to go through
took me a while to get used to the controls. then I reached a check point and my vehicle is near dead - I get one-shot killed by enemy tanks, and I cant go on foot because stealth doesnt last long enough.

so I restart the mission and... I am back having to do all the non-vehicle stuff. so annoying - if u are gonna lack manual saves, then prevent quick saves/checkpoints being progress blockers.

annoyed.

hitoshi

I have a really great bug on Xbox 360: the game constantly freezes on finishing the 3rd mission. Every single time - I've tried it without installing, without the patch, without going online and no solution. Apparently i'm not the only one with the problem:

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11067&start=10

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960491-crysis-2/58545262

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11576

Its a really really great feeling buying a full-priced AAA game on day 1 and not be able to even finish the campaign: this freezing happened at 55 mins into the game and i've already spent the whole day looking for a solution.

luka said:
k91t.jpg

Goddamn. Just. Goddamn. The night stages in the last half of the game have without question the most impressive lighting I've ever seen.

When
I first started this level and I saw Alcatraz jumping down to the water similar to the freefall on Crysis 1
I was like holy fricking s*** nothing on this game will ever top this. I then proceeded to close the game and go to the kitchen to grab some food while still dazed by the quality of it all.

SonnyBoy

cleveridea said:
ugh, so that first vehicle part where you start with the
tank and blow up the wall to go through
took me a while to get used to the controls. then I reached a check point and my vehicle is near dead - I get one-shot killed by enemy tanks, and I cant go on foot because stealth doesnt last long enough.

so I restart the mission and... I am back having to do all the non-vehicle stuff. so annoying - if u are gonna lack manual saves, then prevent quick saves/checkpoints being progress blockers.

annoyed.

The stealth does last long enough. You're just not taking the correct route. And the game should have auto-saved right before the 2 tanks you're speaking of.

SonnyBoy said:
The stealth does last long enough. You're just not taking the correct route. And the game should have auto-saved right before the 2 tanks you're speaking of.

So I am supposed to walk versus drive the vehicle in? Dammit I already restarted that mission.

I hate vehicle sections, I was really enjoying the game up to this point. In Halo Reach I loved driving vehicles but I dont know what it is, I didnt enjoy driving the tank one bit here.

Plus man I hope the WHOLE game isnt set in New York. Played way too many games for it to be interesting.

eshwaaz

Played about 2 hours of the 360 version last night. Definitely enjoying it; I love the areas with more wide-open battlefields. The visuals are mostly very impressive, though I'm quite disappointed at how stiff and dated the ragdoll is. When bodies collapse to the ground they aren't given enough time to settle to a stop naturally, so they end up looking like they're freezing in place prematurely. Was it this way in Crysis 1?

scitek

eshwaaz said:
Played about 2 hours of the 360 version last night. Definitely enjoying it; I love the areas with more wide-open battlefields. The visuals are mostly very impressive, though I'm quite disappointed at how stiff and dated the ragdoll is. When bodies collapse to the ground they aren't given enough time to settle to a stop naturally, so they end up looking like they're freezing in place prematurely. Was it this way in Crysis 1?

Yes, proper ragdoll effects are prohibited in Germany, I think, due to censorship? So they aren't present in Crytek's games.

hitoshi said:
I have a really great bug on Xbox 360: the game constantly freezes on finishing the 3rd mission. Every single time - I've tried it without installing, without the patch, without going online and no solution. Apparently i'm not the only one with the problem:

Its a really really great feeling buying a full-priced AAA game on day 1 and not be able to even finish the campaign: this freezing happened at 55 mins into the game and i've already spent the whole day looking for a solution.
Sounds like the vtol glitch in Crysis 1, sucks.

strata8

eshwaaz said:
Crysis 1 didn't have death animations at all. I seem to recall many of them doing backflips or something.

But yeah, Crysis 2's death animations tend to end up the same way, since they're never turned into a ragdoll once the animation ends (unless something moves the body)

Curufinwe

knitoe said:
Think, I am ready for next gen. Playing it on PC Extreme and graphics are good I guess, but nothing really "WOW"ing me. And, I prefer it with X360 controller for single player. Sure, it's way less precise then mouse, but button layout are more easy to handle. On keyboard, kept on messing up E (stealth) and R (reload).

Can't you just bind E to one of the thumb buttons on your mouse?

NotTarts said:
Crysis 1 didn't have death animations at all. I seem to recall many of them doing backflips or something.

But yeah, Crysis 2's death animations tend to end up the same way, since they're never turned into a ragdoll once the animation ends (unless something moves the body)

Crysis 2 death animations are a mix of animations + ragdoll, but the radoll "sleeps" very quickly to reduce performance impact. Also, once converted to ragdoll they aren't affected by bullets (weirdly they are still affected by explosions), probably because of age rating issues. That's probably why you see them lying in very similar poses, I guess you'll see differences if you kill them on uneven surfaces or if they collide with geometry when falling...

Marleyman

Banned
hitoshi said:

Damn - I just got it last night for 360 but didn't get that far. I jumped into MP fairly early and have been really surprised at how I am enjoying it.

JoeBoy101

Alright after playing for about 3-4 hours, initial thoughts on the PC version, not that anyone cares:

- Mute protagonist is stupid. Now normally, this isn't a big thing, but when you base major parts of the story, and even portions of dialogue, around your character not talking, it just comes across as dumb. Do more writing and let our character voice some words.

- Graphics are not all that great. Before you flip out, let me specify and also note that there is a flipside later in the post. Textures are really not all that good and about on par with the original Crysis, which is disappointing 4 years down the road. The blur effects and temp AA also are brutal, causing fuzziness in everything, and significantly reducing clarity.

- Lack of graphics options in the menu is moronic, no matter how you cut it. And before another Junior bitches about it not mattering and the community will fix it, if the community fixes it in 4 days or something, don't you think it would behoove Crytek to spend the same time putting in their goddamn game? Only near redeeming factor is an unlocked system.cfg file.

- Gameplay is not as good as Crysis. The suit changes are alright, but I think its more the layout of the levels. Everything is cover dependent and there is artificial cover all over the place that make the levels feel crowded and claustrophobic. In the original, buildings had a purpose in the context of their location and cover was only bountiful in the jungle. This made the gameplay feel much more organic, where as in #2, it feels more forced.

- Weapons are lame. Specifically, they all feel underpowered by about 20% and have very little heft or weight to them.

- Need more exposition. Too many questions from the outset, like how long you were out, who the CELL is, exactly what the virus is, etc. Needs way more information in the game.

+ Graphics are great. Textures and over use of some blur and Temp AA aside, this game does have the best lighting and effects I've seen in a game. Smoke, explosions, just about every effect in the game. Only complaint is the water is not as good as in Crysis, but I consider Crysis the gold standard in water. This means Crysis 2 is in the top tier.

+ More weapons to choose from. I also like that they serve different purposes or have different capabilities as opposed to just being re-skined assault rifles.

+ Aliens are much better. Everything about them is better than in Crysis. Look, feel, combat AI, the whole spiel.

+ Plot is better than Crysis. Sure this is no great Accolade and the plot in Crysis 2 is still fairly poor so far, but it is better. Same goes for the VA. Again, if you thought it was bad here, you should have heard it from Psycho and others in the original. Pretty much laughable.

+ Set pieces are fantastic. Seriously, if there is anything they have hit out of the park, its the dramatic environments they have put together. From a gameplay standpoint, I think Crysis was better. From a spectacle standpoint, its not even close.

+ NYC has had better days, but looks good. They did a good job designing a city half destroyed. Especially with some of the details, like small diners or shops you can go into.

+ Collectibles are numerous and hard to find. A great combination.

So far, not sure if its better than the original or not. I can say this: its almost a completely different game. Plays different and feels different. I'll give the full playthrough before I make a final judgment.

Did you know that in MP you can 'spot' enemies like in Battlefield? Pull up the tactical visor, like in MP mode, and if you tag/spot an enemy, he'll appear with a red marker over his head in your hud, and I think on the mini-map as well.

JoeBoy101 said:
- Weapons are lame. Specifically, they all feel underpowered by about 20% and have very little heft or weight to them.
as a shotgun fan, i have to say i love the shotgun in Crysis 2. it's got a crap load of punch and sends Cell guys cartwheeling if you get close enough (which is easy to do with Maximum SNEAKY TIME). it's absolutely vicious and incredibly satisfying.

So anyone with comments on the PS3 version. I have a 360 also, but I dont play enough MP to justify Live, but I do like playing some MP. However SP is the main draw for me, so if 360 is really better than the PS3 I'll get that.

MrCompletely said:
Did you know that in MP you can 'spot' enemies like in Battlefield? Pull up the tactical visor, like in MP mode, and if you tag/spot an enemy, he'll appear with a red marker over his head in your hud, and I think on the mini-map as well.
For everybody or just you?

Cornbread78

NotTarts said:
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :p

Would probably make it so hard to get a platinum on the PS3.

Not to mention you it take s a minimum of 6 mos. to get the platinum trophy from the first time you logged onto MP.

JoeBoy101

plagiarize said:
as a shotgun fan, i have to say i love the shotgun in Crysis 2. it's got a crap load of punch and sends Cell guys cartwheeling if you get close enough (which is easy to do with Maximum SNEAKY TIME). it's absolutely vicious and incredibly satisfying.

The shotgun is good, I'll give you that. And actually, feels a bit better than the original one. But with the Scarab, Feline, and Volt so far, I feel like I'm spitting at CELL dudes.

DieH@ard said:

Didn't want to do a hit and miss part, so I just split out the good and bad of the graphics.

Mr_Brit

Banned
WTH the protagonist is mute??!!! Can someone with the game confirm this?

*sigh* When will devs learn? Silent protagonists are always a bad idea. That includes the half life games where even though a silent Gordon isn't amazingly bad, the game would still be substantially improved with a voiced Gordon.

Sh1ner

JoeBoy101 said:
Alright after playing for about 3-4 hours, initial thoughts on the PC version, not that anyone cares:

- Mute protagonist is stupid. Now normally, this isn't a big thing, but when you base major parts of the story, and even portions of dialogue, around your character not talking, it just comes across as dumb. Do more writing and let our character voice some words.

- Graphics are not all that great. Before you flip out, let me specify and also note that there is a flipside later in the post. Textures are really not all that good and about on par with the original Crysis, which is disappointing 4 years down the road. The blur effects and temp AA also are brutal, causing fuzziness in everything, and significantly reducing clarity.

- Lack of graphics options in the menu is moronic, no matter how you cut it. And before another Junior bitches about it not mattering and the community will fix it, if the community fixes it in 4 days or something, don't you think it would behoove Crytek to spend the same time putting in their goddamn game? Only near redeeming factor is an unlocked system.cfg file.

- Gameplay is not as good as Crysis. The suit changes are alright, but I think its more the layout of the levels. Everything is cover dependent and there is artificial cover all over the place that make the levels feel crowded and claustrophobic. In the original, buildings had a purpose in the context of their location and cover was only bountiful in the jungle. This made the gameplay feel much more organic, where as in #2, it feels more forced.

- Need more exposition. Too many questions from the outset, like how long you were out, who the CELL is, exactly what the virus is, etc. Needs way more information in the game.

+ Graphics are great. Textures and over use of some blue and Temp AA aside, this game does have the best lighting and effects I've seen in a game. Smoke, explosions, just about every effect in the game. Only complaint is the water is not as good as in Crysis, but I consider Crysis the gold standard in water. This means Crysis 2 is in the top tier.

+ More weapons to choose from. I also like that they serve different purposes or have different capabilities as opposed to just being re-skined assault rifles.

+ Aliens are much better. Everything about them is better than in Crysis. Look, feel, combat AI, the whole spiel.

+ Plot is better than Crysis. Sure this is no great Accolade and the plot in Crysis 2 is still fairly poor so far, but it is better. Same goes for the VA. Again, if you thought it was bad here, you should have heard it from Psycho and others in the original. Pretty much laughable.

+ Set pieces are fantastic. Seriously, if there is anything they have hit out of the park, its the dramatic environments they have put together. From a gameplay standpoint, I think Crysis was better. From a spectacle standpoint, its not even close.

+ NYC has had better days, but looks good. They did a good job designing a city half destroyed. Especially with some of the details, like small diners or shops you can go into.

+ Collectibles are numerous and hard to find. A great combination.

So far, not sure if its better than the original or not. I can say this: its almost a completely different game. Plays different and feels different. I'll give the full playthrough before I make a final judgment.

From your description, I am buying it soon

JoeBoy101 said:
The shotgun is good, I'll give you that. And actually, feels a bit better than the original one. But with the Scarab, Feline, and Volt so far, I feel like I'm spitting at CELL dudes.
no argument there. i do like that stealth gun though. if you can headshot with that it's rather nasty, silent and deadly like it should be.

the unsilenced machine guns do feel a bit wimpy though, and i was a big dual pistols and lasersights guy in Crysis 1, so that's a bit disapointing too.

but yeah, i just thought that the shotgun deserved special mention, because it has definately entered the charts of 'top 5 shotguns ever' for me. it's no FEAR 1, but it's up there.

GlamFM

Banned
I love this game.

If the AI was a little better I would love it even more.

Hope Deus Ex is like this in a lot of ways.

JoeBoy101

Sh1ner said:
From your description, I am buying it soon

Compared against Crysis so far, I don't think Crysis 2 is better than it.

Compared against 95% of the shooters out there, any platform? It ranges from being light years better to significantly better. I ultimately decided to throw down on it when I realized that if this game didn't have the pedigree of Crysis, even with the same features (and lack there of *stares at graphics menu*) I would have bought it.

plagarize said:
no argument there. i do like that stealth gun though. if you can headshot with that it's rather nasty, silent and deadly like it should be.

the unsilenced machine guns do feel a bit wimpy though, and i was a big dual pistols and lasersights guy in Crysis 1, so that's a bit disapointing too.

but yeah, i just thought that the shotgun deserved special mention, because it has definately entered the charts of 'top 5 shotguns ever' for me. it's no FEAR 1, but it's up there.

Oh, thats one more thing. NO dedicated pistol slot! That's Bullshit! Gotta have a holdout slot. If you only have two main gun slots, who in their right mind is going with a pistol? That was a mistake on Crytek's part. Especially since there is more than one pistol in the game.

JoeBoy101 said:
Oh, thats one more thing. NO dedicated pistol slot! That's Bullshit! Gotta have a holdout slot. If you only have two main gun slots, who in their right mind is going with a pistol? That was a mistake on Crytek's part. Especially since there is more than one pistol in the game.

Especially weird coz u can hide a rocket launcher somewhere on your person. I carried one around for a level or 2 not realising I had it (the weapon switch is a bit...unusual with the arrows for weapon types but Y for weapon swap so I didnt realise I had a rocket launcher in my inventory until way later in the game)

raphier

Banned
GlamFM said:
I love this game.

If the AI was a little better I would love it even more.

Hope Deus Ex is like this in a lot of ways.
I hope not. It should be like Deus ex :p Crysis has no hackable doors or 100% stealth runs. Two different games in my opinion.

JoeBoy101

cleveridea said:
Especially weird coz u can hide a rocket launcher somewhere on your person. I carried one around for a level or 2 not realising I had it (the weapon switch is a bit...unusual with the arrows for weapon types but Y for weapon swap so I didnt realise I had a rocket launcher in my inventory until way later in the game)

Well for the first 4 hours or so, you hardly ever need it. In the first Crysis, you can put a missile launcher to good use in the first 30 minutes (though you don't see one until about an hour or two in).

Nakimushi

Banned
played for like 3-4hr on ps3 single campaign and oh lord

this game looks and plays amazing !!!
its like having a pc benchmark on my ps3 ;)

cant belive people are posting some blurry pics here and trying to say game dosent look good or sharp etc... its such a bullshit

I am glad crytek manage to move that engine on consoles/
too bad I didnt make some pics from my tv

and gamplay is so much more fun to me then Killzone or Cod ....
many big open spaces that allowed you to play with enemies liek you want
jumping on roofs ? taking the car ? swimming in ocean around to avoid fire ? stealth ?
its all up to me ... no more corridor with 1 option / shoot everything till you gonna pass next checkpoint/

I feel bad if some people miss that on ps3

Top Bottom