• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Q8D3vil

Whats this Melee bug?

Is it affecting All ports or just PC?
yeah, actually i can't do melee at all even when i restart the game, its broken.
anyway, i just did a test run. i'm not gonna play anymore sp until i get new gpu + crysis releases a new patch to fix this shit.

- J - D -

I'm sorry guys to ask but the thread is long: I booted up the game and it crashes at the publisher and crytek screen. Has this happened to anyone else? Advice? I tried re-installing and rolling back drivers.

My rig is up to snuff and ran the multiplayer demo just fine.

benzy

Always-honest said:
It will.

Gotta ask this again: are there any plans for a type of co-op in crysis 2. Something like co-op?
Anyone?

Doesn't seem like it. I was hoping for split-screen multiplayer on consoles though.

EDIT - here's what crytek's ceo had to say

“No, we won’t be offering co-op. Our goal is to offer quite a beefy package and I think some people will be surprised at how big it is, but I don’t want to talk too much about it because I’d rather they wait and play."

Nizz

canadian crowe said:
I did it earlier today and I can tell the difference. Everything seems way clearer now and it's great. In fact, all of the PS3 games I own look noticeably different now.
Shit, I used to leave the PS3 checked at 720p before. People had said to go ahead and check 1080p because I wouldn't lose anything. I don't have C2 yet but I think I'll go ahead and switch the resolution tonight.

Most games run at 720p anyway so I guess it's for the best.

heyf00L

You shouldn't lose anything. I mean, if you have a 1080p TV and you send it a 720p signal, the TV will upscale it. The PS3 must do some funky upscaling.

purple cobra said:
Shit, I used to leave the PS3 checked at 720p before. People had said to go ahead and check 1080p because I wouldn't lose anything. I don't have C2 yet but I think I'll go ahead and switch the resolution tonight.

Most games run at 720p anyway so I guess it's for the best.

So did I. I have a 27" monitor though, so I figured it was too small to really tell the difference between 720 and 1080. The major difference is that the XBM icons are much bigger now and everything seems less 'stretch'.

I'm not a graphics guy, so hopefully somebody can give you more technical impressions.

Mrbob said:
I did read what Warm Machine said and I'm sure he is right. I still don't see the contradiction. You have an urban environment requires a tighter experience and the game is scaled down from its predecessor.
But on a technical front, which is what I've been talking about, he said the urban environment is more taxing than a terrain environment:

As soon as your game takes place in an environment with hard surfaces and predefined geometry memory takes a massive hit. Terrain engines take up a pittance of disk space and render blazingly fast. No matter if this was designed for console or not the choice to move urban (for business and gameplay reasons) required a drastically cut back environment size. Streaming in assets as complicated as prop laden streets and buildings and doing asset juggling on this scale is far more difficult than a jungle or forest environment.

Games that have achieved a streaming urban world typically lose out in visual fidelity that would not hold up in first person view point. GTA IV is a pretty good example as is PGR4. That you can get a city environment to look as good as this in first person and manage an asset load is the best technical graphics achievement of the year.

On a gameplay front, it's scaled back for sure, but I'm just talking about the tech.

You don't need to try so hard to defend this game. :p It can stand on its own merits.

I defend because I'm a nerd with too much free time, and because I'm a huge fan of Crytek, Crysis, and the original Far Cry. It got such an unfair rap pre-release with so many people making damning judgments of the game based off an MP demo (see: OP) that I felt the need to come to its defense. I don't think I'm trying that hard, either, but I do make a lot of posts so maybe you're right, I dunno. It was definitely nice to see the change of heart over the past two days after people finally got a chance to play the campaign.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
2 hours until this unlocks on Steam (australia). I can't wait that long.;_; i need to play this nao!

LCGeek

formerly sane
canadian crowe said:
So did I. I have a 27" monitor though, so I figured it was too small to really tell the difference between 720 and 1080. The major difference is that the XBM icons are much bigger now and everything seems less 'stretch'.

I'm not a graphics guy, so hopefully somebody can give you more technical impressions.

Then your monitor has a crap setup in terms of dot pitch scale. While tv's suffer from issues like that if you have a monitor that size and the difference between those two is not apparent dead serious take it back if you can.

LowParry

Man, i'm really liking the MP of this game. The whole cloak and be stealthy is really really fun. Just wish I could get to 18 quick to try out Assault. I also so a Classic mode for whatever it was so that everyone was just a soldier instead of a nano monster. Eh, time will tell. SP I may jump into soon but my focus is on ME2 for now.

LCGeek said:
Then your monitor has a crap setup in terms of dot pitch scale. While tv's suffer from issues like that if you have a monitor that size and the difference between those two is not apparent dead serious take it back if you can.

I might not have it set up right. It's not a name brand, and frankly I have no idea how to set it up properly. I'd be grateful to anybody who can direct me to a good source for optimizing a monitor for a PS3.

TheExodu5

Banned
LCGeek said:
He's playing on a console...1080p content is upscaled from 720p.

Always-honest said:
I do like that there is another player that will make devs like Naughty Dog and Guerilla even more focussed on bringing a mindblowing experience. We all get to play that good stuff. :)))

Santa Monica is easily up with these guys as well...infact, the best momenst in GoW3 impressed me more than anything I played in the original crysis on PC. However, I expect U3 to take the crown when it hits.

JB1981

CcrooK said:
Man, i'm really liking the MP of this game. The whole cloak and be stealthy is really really fun. Just wish I could get to 18 quick to try out Assault. I also so a Classic mode for whatever it was so that everyone was just a soldier instead of a nano monster. Eh, time will tell. SP I may jump into soon but my focus is on ME2 for now.

I can't believe entire modes are unlocked. Such a stupid trend in gaming to lock out modes unless you slog through for hours. Isn't paying $60 enough?

LowParry

JB1981 said:
I can't believe entire modes are unlocked. Such a stupid trend in gaming to lock out modes unless you slog through for hours. Isn't paying $60 enough?

True. Getting to lvl 18 seems like it will take a while unless you're someone who plays like 5+ hours a day. Hell, I just hit 14 today. Hopefully we'll see some minor patch work with the latency. Bad games are bad with the lag. It takes a while to kill someone or those instances where you know you have your aim right down for the kill and you lose. Only to see in the killcam that you missed entirely. Stupid lag.

nelsonroyale said:
Santa Monica is easily up with these guys as well...infact, the best momenst in GoW3 impressed me more than anything I played in the original crysis on PC. However, I expect U3 to take the crown when it hits.
yup

Always-honest said:

I hope Santa Monica get some more opinions on their game next time round though...some of the parts in GoW 3 looked so lacklaster...what where they thinking with the crappy looking labrynth and the warehouse?

CcrooK said:
True. Getting to lvl 18 seems like it will take a while unless you're someone who plays like 5+ hours a day. Hell, I just hit 14 today. Hopefully we'll see some minor patch work with the latency. Bad games are bad with the lag. It takes a while to kill someone or those instances where you know you have your aim right down for the kill and you lose. Only to see in the killcam that you missed entirely. Stupid lag.
How many hours did it take for you to hit 14? lvl 18 for assault is ridiculous

LowParry

Heavy said:
How many hours did it take for you to hit 14? lvl 18 for assault is ridiculous

Well, you get those free 5 levels with the LE. Wait, this came out yesterday? Oiy. My times are all messed up. Um, well I believe I've put in maybe a total of 4 - 6 hours of MP in. So I guess it's not too bad. Though I've had a good handful of awesome games. I'm sure if I played more tonight I'd hit 18 by then. I play more TDM than anything but from time to time I'll play the Crash mode.

nelsonroyale said:
I hope Santa Monica get some more opinions on their game next time round though...some of the parts in GoW 3 looked so lacklaster...what where they thinking with the crappy looking labrynth and the warehouse?
That one was a bit shocking.

Rhoxin

Banned
Xater said:
That's amazing. lol

More people need to stand up and do this, people with power within the gaming world, especially PC oriented.

The problem is that as long as the masses of game consumers keep buying all these games nothing will change, it will only get worse.

DoomGyver

Picked it up for 360 and played a few hours of the single player, really impressed with Crytek at what they've accomplished graphically especially being multiplatform. Screen tearing is a non issue with the 360 version, if you really look for it you may find a tear near the top or bottom of the screen when looking at the skyline. Aliasing could be better but it's not bad by any means. Pop-in happens every so often, but I haven't installed it to my HDD yet so I'm not sure if that would improve it. Haven't experienced any noticeable framerate drops yet. Overall, really enjoying it so far. After 3 hours of gameplay I feel like I'm ~15% in and things are just starting to get good.

Played one multiplayer match and the host had a full connection while everyone else had a poor connection, host went like 20-1 or something crazy because of the lag. Hopefully that was just a fluke or EA day 1 lag. All I did was walk around and study the map, and I liked what I saw so hopefully the other maps are similar in layout.

Sibylus

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I don't know, but most FPS have a silent protagonist, and it is pretty annoying. It's also weird in this game with people constantly talking to you and you never attempt to communicate back, you just do whatever they tell you.
I could definitely see it being annoying here. Isn't this a pretty tired cliche by now? ie "Misunderstanding lasts 9/10s of the story because one or both of the dopes involved can't or won't communicate."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoorCommunicationKills (site is a deathtrap, beware)

Sorry if this has already been asked but does this game ship with the Sandbox 3 Editor or whatever they're calling the map editor? I've found videos but they seem to be from pirated copies. Had a lot of fun with both the Far Cry and Crysis editor so it'd be a bummer if they decided not to include it just to sell DLC maps/scenarios.

Safe to assume the console versions didn't come with a map editor as I've haven't seen nor heard anything about that. Shame, because Far Cry Instinct and Far Cry 2 had fantastic map editors (well best on the consoles) and they were released ages ago.

Lake Minnetonka said:
Sorry if this has already been asked but does this game ship with the Sandbox 3 Editor or whatever they're calling the map editor? I've found videos but they seem to be from pirated copies. Had a lot of fun with both the Far Cry and Crysis editor so it'd be a bummer if they decided not to include it just to sell DLC maps/scenarios.

Safe to assume the console versions didn't come with a map editor as I've haven't seen nor heard anything about that. Shame, because Far Cry Instinct and Far Cry 2 had fantastic map editors (well best on the consoles) and they were released ages ago.
No it doesn't, should be out in the Summer.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a console command to make the gun models smaller? I've been messing with fov but the guns are still so huge - playing on a 19" monitor 1600x900...

LowParry

Full Recovery said:
Played one multiplayer match and the host had a full connection while everyone else had a poor connection, host went like 20-1 or something crazy because of the lag. Hopefully that was just a fluke or EA day 1 lag. All I did was walk around and study the map, and I liked what I saw so hopefully the other maps are similar in layout.

Some of the maps are hella fun while others are just stupid campy. But that's where that cloak comes into play. It's probably Day 1 lag. Give it a couple of weeks and hopefully we'll see some patch work with it. At least it's good at finding games quick. Unlike some other game...ahem...

Heavy said:
No it doesn't, should be out in the Summer.
Thanks, I know its fairly common for games to release their SDK latter on but it wouldn't been awesome if they had were able to have it at release and throw the console version an editor as well.

I'll probably hold my purchase off until DX11 and the editor are out. Finish my second play-through of Crysis 1 in the meantime.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Still can't connect to multiplayer, so I'm playing through a second time.

How many people are getting a connectivity error when trying to log in?

Also you can't skip in-game cutscenes. Bad form Crytek.

TheExodu5

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
well, I jumped in because I am hoping against hope that
A) the gameplay gets better and,
B) there is a DX11 patch, because the game needs help as far as texture work and character models, a little tessellation could go a long way.
I'm up to the second chapter after you fight the first alien.

the restrictions as a result of the game being made for consoles are painfully evident as far as limitations of where and when you go places. I agree with whoever said the game is corridor (empty) and small arena where you can approach a situation in different ways.
but, therein lies the problems. while the visor(which I use only for spotting enemies, otherwise it's lame and useless)
gives you all these "tactical" options to fight the enemies, due to the fact that the areas where you fight are so small and narrow you are usually confined in your freedom of movement. not like Crysis 1 at all. (at least early on) which to me is a big step back in gameplay.

the annoying restriction also of limiting the number of suit powers early on is another step back.
just gimme the powers and let me do my shit, don't hold my hand! I really do feel if this game didn't have the consoles holding it back we could have had a true open city. but, alas....
it's not all bad, enemies on veteran are competent fighters but with the stealth being a bit overpowered, it feels a bit too easy to just plow by them. this is playing on veteran mode? it's not that hard....

the graphics, hmmm..... they look bland. water effects are not as good as the first game. not at all. the lighting is fine but a bit too overbearing, way too much blooming, some stuff looks like it's emitting it's own light. very annoying. the explosions themselves look good, but then why aren't cars on fire like the first one?
texture work is bad in certain areas and I wasn't impressed with character models, they seem to lack the detail of the north Korean soldiers from part one.
I have a GTX 580 in SLI so frame rate is not a problem, although in the begining area it dropped to 50FPS on extreme mode without enemies in screen (no SLI profile I assume?)the lack of advanced options is a travesty, it really is. this is supposed to be a PC game, what exactly is the justification for that?

the IQ is very nice though. very clean and crisp.
as far as mouse controls go, they feel a tad floaty, just a tad. but
other than that I am happy with the controllers. suit shortcuts are a good idea brought over from part one although I prefer the wheel and keep finding myself going back to it.
the slide move is ok but sort of a gimmick when I'd rather have true speed(sprint doesn't cut it) although I did get a very nice kill against an enemy in the garage area.
what else to say? the protagonist is boring, the guys from part one had a personality or at least something to them that I could hang my hat on, to care about. I think I liked the story of part one better but it is very early on so of course I will hold back judgement.

overall, everything about the game is "OK" so far, but it didn't wow or blow me away like the first one. shame, real shame that. I can see though why a lot people who didn't play the first one like this one though. but I am hopeful that the later levels open up more though.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-multigpu-SLI-profile-update-v7-driver.html

SLI won't work without that profile, for the time being.

I haven't had a single dip below 60fps on SLI GTX 570 yet (1080p Extreme).

For the mouse controls, add these command line options for launching the game:

+i_mouse_accel=0 +i_mouse_smooth=0

Kibbles

Is there a catch to the 10 day free trial of gamefly? Like could I just rent it and play it for a few days and cancel and send it back without a charge?

aeolist

Banned
I would just like to point out that both of the console versions are available on torrent sites and while the PC version is up too it has not yet been cracked.

Piracy is killing the PC!

FINALBOSS

Banned
So far all I've really seen is people talking about the SP. How's the MP playing? Any ideas of if this is a game people are going to stick with online? Not counting lag issues and such.

Pimpbaa

Finally got in a multiplayer match after many tries. Seems fun, but I'm not gonna bother until they fix their shit because it's too frustrating to get into any game ATM (on PC).

LowParry

Pimpbaa said:
Finally got in a multiplayer match after many tries. Seems fun, but I'm not gonna bother until they fix their shit because it's too frustrating to get into any game ATM (on PC).

360 side, getting into games is quick. Just most games I've played are in the yellow bar which are laggy. Though the few games I've had with 3 - 4 green bars is lots of fun.

Top Bottom