• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Metal-Geo

Don't trust the fish, people. They're obviously worshiping the creature above... the Alpha-Ceph!
dont_trust_the_fish.jpg

Also found this in the swamp level:

Excuse the bad jpg compression please. I don't play games with any capture software by default, so I had to use Crysis 3's screenshot key.

So I've just got to say, I'm on mission six (I think) and I know there's only one more mission after this, but Crysis 3 is a great game. I say that as a fan of Crysis 2. At this point, even considering length, Crysis 3 > Crysis 2. Crysis 2 felt kind of padded to me. We'll see if these last two missions change my mind, but Crysis 3 sort of feels like they cut out all the bad bits they tended to leave in in the first two games.

So, yes, Crysis 1 still contains missions that none of the other games have matched, but over all I expect to be replaying the entirety of Crysis 3 over any of the others. I'm playing in 3D on my HMZ over in PC land. very high, very high. it's a pretty journey.

RS4-

Just beat game on supersoldier. No achievement. Went to replay mission and all show beaten on supersoldier.

What gives?

Oh yeah, same thing happened to me. I didn't pay attention until I looked at the achievements and I only have the Vet one unlocked, even thought it was tracking my supersoldier progress (got the 3 out of 7 achievement for it).

Not going to play this again.

KKRT00

Don't trust the fish, people. They're obviously worshiping the creature above... the Alpha-Ceph!

Also found this in the swamp level:

Excuse the bad jpg compression please. I don't play games with any capture software by default, so I had to use Crysis 3's screenshot key.
Ok, i now need to know where is this duck :)

Metal-Geo

Ok, i now need to know where is this duck :)
It's behind a breakable wooden wall. If I'm correct, it's in the area with the bunch of Pyro-Cephs and the hackable Pinger. Walk along the right side until there's a room with a breakable wooden wall.
I think. Didn't pay much attention. Sorry.

Metal-Geo

I just noticed that Prophet ties Nomad, Jester, and Aztec's dog tags to his bow.

Really nice touch.
That's not Nomad's dogtag. It's Cupcake's. (From Warhead)

Edit: Found a new 'easter egg' in the sixth mission. It's at
the very beginning, right after the cutscene, under a red box.
Seems like someone couldn't help themself adding their name on the map.

Really curious how many easter eggs there are left!

Sethos

Banned
Just completed it and I can honestly, one of the worst games I've played in the last few years hands down. While the gameplay itself is fairly generic and while a nice looking game, the style and environments of the game leaves a lot to be desired in many places. However my big problem with the game is: The bullet sponging. It's the reason why I loathe games like Halo, fucking shields and insane health bars.

You start out slow with the Cell forces where the game shines because you feel sort-of badass sneaking around and using all those fancy little features but as you get to about the halfway point and it becomes Ceph dominated the game turns to utter shit. Enemies that just soak up bullets left and right, a million of them and then they start throwing bigger dues into the mix, that can take even more shots. I was basically just standing behind rocks most of the game and looking for ammunition - Oh god the ammunition! Fucking weapons were empty all the time due to the amount of bullets the enemy could take, constantly picking up new weapons and ... Eugh. It's not a hard game, it's a frustrating and boring game.

I started to ignore secondary objectives, I ran past enemies just to get the objectives complete and get it over with. I even turned the difficulty all the way the way down towards the end to ease up on the bullet sponge effect and complete the game, so I could end my misery. The last part of the game is so catastrophically bad, I simply can't believe it.

I'm sorry but this game is garbage and this is not hyperbole, this game is utter trash. Generic, boring, uninspired, flaccid and frustrating game.

Just completed it and I can honestly, one of the worst games I've played in the last few years hands down. While the gameplay itself is fairly generic and while a nice looking game, the style and environments of the game leaves a lot to be desired in many places. However my big problem with the game is: The bullet sponging. It's the reason why I loathe games like Halo, fucking shields and insane health bars.

You start out slow with the Cell forces where the game shines because you feel sort-of badass sneaking around and using all those fancy little features but as you get to about the halfway point and it becomes Ceph dominated the game turns to utter shit. Enemies that just soak up bullets left and right, a million of them and then they start throwing bigger dues into the mix, that can take even more shots. I was basically just standing behind rocks most of the game and looking for ammunition - Oh god the ammunition! Fucking weapons were empty all the time due to the amount of bullets the enemy could take, constantly picking up new weapons and ... Eugh. It's not a hard game, it's a frustrating and boring game.

I started to ignore secondary objectives, I ran past enemies just to get the objectives complete and get it over with. I even turned the difficulty all the way the way down towards the end to ease up on the bullet sponge effect and complete the game, so I could end my misery. The last part of the game is so catastrophically bad, I simply can't believe it.

I'm sorry but this game is garbage and this is not hyperbole, this game is utter trash. Generic, boring, uninspired, flaccid and frustrating game.
Sounds like you would have more fun if you had used the bow more...

Sethos

Banned
Well, the fact that it basically eliminates your bullet sponge concerns is one reason.

No, it doesn't. Still requires ammo which isn't infinite, doesn't kill the big enemies in one hit and having to use a weapon you dislike you counteract another thing in the game you dislike doesn't make everything better. Just like picking up massive Ceph mortars also 'eliminates' the concern for about 5 seconds until you run out of ammunition.

desired in many places. However my big problem with the game is: The bullet sponging. It's the reason why I loathe games like Halo, fucking shields and insane health bars.

Seems like you're suffering from COD syndrome.
Aim for the head they die in 1-2 headshots on regular difficulty.

It's hard to aim with the awful amount of input lag the game suffers from though, I'll give you that.

One of the only things this game does right is the health/dmg ratios and rewarding feeling of headshotting enemies.
I fucking hate games where every weapon is a bullethose and holding down the mouse button in their general direction for half a second scores you kills

Sethos

Banned
Seems like you're suffering from COD syndrome.
Aim for the head they die in 1-2 headshots on regular difficulty.

It's hard to aim with the awful amount of input lag the game suffers from though, I'll give you that.

One of the only things this game does right is the health/dmg ratios and rewarding feeling of headshotting enemies.
I fucking hate games where every weapon is a bullethose and holding down the mouse button in their general direction for half a second scores you kills

Are we playing the same game? Headshotting many of the bigger Cephs doesn't insta-kill them or even kill them in several shots. They have armor.

And this game doesn't have "input lag", that's your PC.

No, it doesn't. Still requires ammo which isn't infinite, doesn't kill the big enemies in one hit and having to use a weapon you dislike you counteract another thing in the game you dislike doesn't make everything better. Just like picking up massive Ceph mortars also 'eliminates' the concern for about 5 seconds until you run out of ammunition.
The regular arrows basically are infinite since you are able to retrieve them after each use. Other than one level where they intentionally prevent you from using the bow, arrows were never in short supply. I ran past tons of arrow ammo boxes not needing a refill.

Sethos

Banned
The regular arrows basically are infinite since you are able to retrieve them after each use. Other than one level where they intentionally prevent you from using the bow, arrows were never in short supply. I ran past tons of arrow ammo boxes not needing a refill.

And what am I supposed to do with only regular arrows? They are about as effective as every other weapon versus the bigger enemies. Towards the end there's a million Ceph and then all the bigger guys start appearing everywhere.

Are we playing the same game? Headshotting many of the bigger Cephs doesn't insta-kill them or even kill them in several shots. They have armor.

And this game doesn't have "input lag", that's your PC.

No it isn't...
Vsync off, wired mouse, crt monitor, 85 hz refresh rate.

source games, quake engine games , spark engine (ns2) feel extremely responsive.
Crysis 3 feels sluggish, as sluggish as playing one of the above games with vsync on.

Then again you use SLI, an IPS monitor (or am I confusing you for someone else) and you claim you can't feel input lag from those either, so why am I even having this conversation with you. It's like trying to explain the difference between red and green to a dog.
If you are used to sluggish games and don't know any better you'll never understand.
It's like telling someone who lives in a big city that the air stinks there, they'll also say they can't smell it.

edit: and now you are trying to deflect, wasting my time on you.

Sethos

Banned
No it isn't...
Vsync off, wired mouse, crt monitor, 85 hz refresh rate.

source games, quake engine games , spark engine (ns2) feel extremely responsive.
Crysis 3 feels sluggish, as sluggish as playing one of the above games with vsync on.

Then again you use SLI, an IPS monitor (or am I confusing you for someone else) and you claim you can't feel input lag from those either, so why am I even having this conversation with you. It's like trying to explain the difference between red and green to a dog.

Sounds like you have a shitty PC that can't keep up.

Don't worry.

Arrows aimed at Seph heads will break through the plate and instantly kill them, you'll lose the arrow however. And a few shots from any weapon aimed at the head will pop the cap, and then one bullet to the fleshy bit will kill them instantly. If nothing else grab an automatic weapon and just aim at the body, they will die in about half a clip.

Was playing on Supersoldier difficulty, the enemies aren't sponges. Armor breaks.

Edit: And it goes without saying but if you use a sniper rifle it will instantly kill the Seph in question if you get a headshot. This is of course not the case for the few heavier Seph boss like enemies that pop up from time to time.

Really? Very weird that even now that with this game they have decided to reference C1, they try their best to almost ignore Nomad ever existed.

It's not Nomad's dogtag? Guess I didn't look all that closely but Nomad is among the casualties mentioned by Psycho during his rant so he is at least acknowledged as existing. Still can't believe he got killed off in some comic.

Sethos

Banned
Their handling of the story is pretty weak, especially having a comic in between the game outlining some pretty major story elements that just end up being plot holes if you only play the games.

They mention him by name at least.

I was shocked they mentioned him (and I think it was only ONCE) to be honest, because they try so hard to ignore him.

It's not Nomad's dogtag? Guess I didn't look all that closely but Nomad is among the casualties mentioned by Psycho during his rant so he is at least acknowledged as existing. Still can't believe he got killed off in some comic.

I googled a bit, check out this: http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=60580&start=110

Very mild spoilers:

In the initial vision of Prophet the names are Aztek, Jester, Psycho. Meaning Prophet "saw" Psycho would also die.

But Psycho gets to live, thus Prophet gets the Aztek, Jester and Cupcake dogtags.

Why did Psycho have Cupcake's dogtag?

Apparently in the ingame "Alpha Ceph Diaries" it is revealed Prophet, Psycho and Cupcake went on an Alpha Ceph hunting mission during which Cupcake died.

I hope they are secretly thinking of bringing Nomad back for the next Crysis game, since 1) they are being so secretive about its fate (no dogtag) 2) they retconned the Trilogy to be "Prophet's story" and 3) they have said that more Crysis games will be made they just won't be about Prophet as that chapter has been closed.

Or, maybe they surprise us with a Crysis 3: Warhead sidequel of sorts starring Nomad.

Badgerst3

100 percent QFT. I even stopped on the final boss and you tubed the ending.

Liked the bow and graphics. That's it. Couldn't wait for it to end. Glad I had red boxed it.

Too little time in my life to play poor to mediocre games.

I hope they are secretly thinking of bringing Nomad back for the next Crysis game, since 1) they are being so secretive about its fate (no dogtag) 2) they retconned the Trilogy to be "Prophet's story" and 3) they have said that more Crysis games will be made they just won't be about Prophet as that chapter has been closed.

Or, maybe they surprise us with a Crysis 3: Warhead sidequel of sorts starring Nomad.

I'm hoping for a "prequel" of sorts. Maybe some missions from Prophet/Psycho/Nomad before aliens came into the picture.

scitek

Their handling of the story is pretty weak, especially having a comic in between the game outlining some pretty major story elements that just end up being plot holes if you only play the games.

Story's atrocious, no doubt. Like, wtf happened to all the other Ceph around the world in between 2 and 3? Psycho says Prophet wiped them all out at the end of 2, so they apparently retconned that, too.

Isn't this exactly like Crysis 1 and 2? First half of the game vs humans being fun then the aliens come out that are bullet sponges?

KKRT00

And what am I supposed to do with only regular arrows? They are about as effective as every other weapon versus the bigger enemies. Towards the end there's a million Ceph and then all the bigger guys start appearing everywhere.

Rockets, C4, explosive/electro arrows, ceth weapons vs bigs enemies, rest versus smaller enemies. I dont really see the problem here.
I dont like Halo games because of bulletsponge issue, but i dont mind having some enemies to be stronger.

Sethos

Banned
Rockets, C4, explosive/electro arrows, ceth weapons vs bigs enemies, rest versus smaller enemies. I dont really see the problem here.
I dont like Halo games because of bulletsponge issue, but i dont mind having some enemies to be stronger.

Yeah, we can go in circles all day people suggesting weapons that aren't available at all times, doesn't have enough ammunition in one go to take down some of the bigger enemies or enough ammunition to take down the 80 of them. It's not like I was running around with only my knuckles through the game here.

Isn't this exactly like Crysis 1 and 2? First half of the game vs humans being fun then the aliens come out that are bullet sponges?

Pretty much, yet somehow this manages to be worse.

KKRT00

Yeah, we can go in circles all day people suggesting weapons that aren't available at all times, doesn't have enough ammunition in one go to take down some of the bigger enemies or enough ammunition to take down the 80 of them. It's not like I was running around with only my knuckles through the game here.

Can tell me about what level are You specifically talking about? I have never encountered ammo problem for dealing with bigger enemies.

Sethos

Banned
Can tell me about what level are You specifically talking about? I have never encountered ammo problem for dealing with bigger enemies.

I never said I didn't have the ammo full stop. I said you ran out constantly, which meant you had to go pick up more, run out, go pick up more and it was always the most inconvenient times. It's the most annoying way to play a shooter.

nOoblet16

I never had issues with ammo, used bow most of the time the impact arrows can be reused and you've got 9 other kind of arrows for the bigger enemies which don't die from impact arrows in one hit. The game never throws that many bigger enemies, and once you deal with them there's usually a bow ammo box lying around. Don't want to use bow for bigger enemies ? You've got multiple heavy weapons lying around everywhere in the game. As for the normal enemies they die quick as well, and if you stealth kill a ceph you can use their weapon which is quick in killing ceph as well.

Infact if there was anything that I'd complain about it's the level design, the game feels less open eventhough it has bigger areas than Crysis 2, think it peaked at the Dam level. Also Crysis 2 felt more....I donno, epic ? Another thing I didn't like was that the levels had absolutely no hint of New York, yes it's 25 years in the future from the previous game and it's been detroyed and stuff but nothing is recognizable. Also Prophet sounds very boring.

I was shocked they mentioned him (and I think it was only ONCE) to be honest, because they try so hard to ignore him.

I googled a bit, check out this: http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=60580&start=110

Very mild spoilers:

In the initial vision of Prophet the names are Aztek, Jester, Psycho. Meaning Prophet "saw" Psycho would also die.

But Psycho gets to live, thus Prophet gets the Aztek, Jester and Cupcake dogtags.

Why did Psycho have Cupcake's dogtag?

Apparently in the ingame "Alpha Ceph Diaries" it is revealed Prophet, Psycho and Cupcake went on an Alpha Ceph hunting mission during which Cupcake died.

I can't remember the specifics, but there are a handful of datapads you pick up when you go into the facility where Psycho was ripped out of his Nanosuit that have a long list of soldiers who had Nanosuits and what became of them. Almost all are dead, but Nomad was listed as missing/unknown or something along those lines.

after playing this I probably won't touch another shorter where your fighting aliens. the encounters are so uninteresting for me in Crysis despite the beautiful environments

Is anyone having trouble with screen tearing on the PC? I feel like I've tried everything -- D3DOverrider vysync, the in-game vsync, the NVIDIA control panel vsync -- and I still get tearing. Not a ton of it, but enough to mar the overall experience.

Did anyone else order this from Amazon?

The pre-order said I was going to get a digital download of Crysis 1 for the Xbox. I never received an email about this, and was wondering if others got it.

Did anyone else order this from Amazon?

The pre-order said I was going to get a digital download of Crysis 1 for the Xbox. I never received an email about this, and was wondering if others got it.

I pre-ordered the PS3 version and Amazon sent me my code about three days before the game's release.

Which FPShooters do you like then? Bioshock? Dishonored?

Top Bottom