• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

Mogwai

Why does Crysis 3 always crash upon loading the multiplayer maps? I know it happened in beta, but I can't get into any games in the retail version now. Singleplayer works just fine.

Pretty damn annoying.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Digital Foundry upped the face off images between PC 360 and PS3 already

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-24-crysis-3-triple-format-comparison-gallery

the full writeup should be coming soon, but for now the picture's are there.

1280x-1

1280x-1

1280x-1

Completed it last night -- it didn't feel short at all to me, although I like to take a stealth heavy, very methodical approach.

During the first few levels I felt like the game was leagues better than Crysis 2, but I thought it lost its way toward the end. I'd probably rate it on about the same level as Crysis 2 and well short of the original. Worth my time though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sounds like you have never played FEAR.

I'm not someone who constantly compares aspects of games to those who hold top tier positions but yeah FEAR shits on Crysis when it comes to that sense of immersion gained through A.I behavior. And KKRT you say you're defending the game, I've done my share of defending for C2/C3 as well as I enjoy them but some things I just can't let slide after all these years without improvement.

Good lord what's DF trying to prove by not adding some AA to the PC version?

I believe they try to make the comparison shots as close as possible to the console versions, ie 720P, lowest AA mode, and then they post a separate grouping of PC shots at the end with the highest AA settings and in 1080P

shinnn

Digital Foundry upped the face off images between PC 360 and PS3 already

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-24-crysis-3-triple-format-comparison-gallery

Lens of the Truth fucked up with the X360 textures again.

LoT
h2h_lens_zoom_03f1i9r.jpg

DF
1280x-1

LoT
h2h_lens_zoom_019peol.jpg

DF
1280x-1

Curious if its due to hdd instalation on X360? Or something wrong with theirs X360.

edit: LoT explanation
Due to time constraints we were unable to verify if installing the entire game on the Xbox 360 hard drive fixes this issues

smh

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Holy shit the Soundtrack in this game is amzing. Best Soundtrack of the year so far. I'm so freaking addicted to the main theme.

Biggzy

I believe they try to make the comparison shots as close as possible to the console versions, ie 720P, lowest AA mode, and then they post a separate grouping of PC shots at the end with the highest AA settings and in 1080P

I agree with the policy. We all know you can get much better IQ on PC than consoles, so you want to know whether the PC outclasses the consoles in other graphical features as well.

iavi

Makes sense

Holy shit the Soundtrack in this game is amzing. Best Soundtrack of the year so far. I'm so freaking addicted to the main theme.

Yeah, the OST for this game is phenomenal. I've been blown away almost every time it kicks in.

KKRT00

Sounds like you have never played FEAR.

It was so long time ago, but i dont really remember any bigger areas in this game.

Can You explain what dont You like in C3 in terms AI? You and/or Corky? Because i've never got feedback why its bad, or average.

Wish my second gtx 670 would hurry up and arrive.....MUST NOT PLAY UNTIL SLI IS ENABLED...

I'm trying to decide whether to get a second GTX670 or save for a Titan/700 series. I have the 4GB EVGA model so memory wise I should be fine for a while. Anyone have any personal opinion on this?

Woops, sorry for two posts so close together. Thought the other one was in the performance thread :D

scitek

I always find it funny how other games' AI is compared to FEAR to this day, and not even Monolith has been able to improve on it.

iavi

Finished the game.

Being my first Crysis, I don't have any cross reference within the series, but I enjoyed this one. It starts off damn strong, falters a good bit in the middle~ishend there, then closes strong, with some good boss fights towards the end.

I think the things I actually enjoyed most about the game was all the story relates ish like Prophet, his relations with all the characters, and the first-person, in-engine cutscenes. Really. really good, which was surprising as I had never known the Crysis series to be something special in that regard.

adamsapple

Lens of the Truth fucked up with the X360 textures again.

Lens of Truth has become irrelevant over the past few weeks, they fuck up every comparison.

But just for reference DF don't do the optional installs on 360 for their comparions either, unless its one of those "HD Textures" type of deal.

adamsapple

Giantbomb's review is up, Jeff has some pretty scathing comments. (3 out of 5)

It's serviceable and, again, it looks great on the PC, but was this trip really necessary? It's an average experience, overall, and in a genre that continues to be packed full of competition, you'd probably be better off finding a discounted copy of Crysis 2, or, if the open-world combat of the original Crysis really floats your boat, spend some time with Far Cry 3, instead.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/crysis-3-review/1900-562/

TTG

Continuing my play through on the ps3 version, discounting a horrible lack of visual clarity(I mean it's HARD to tell what the fuck is going on in some of these environments), I'm finding a lot of CODish things design wise keep popping up.

The latest, and perhaps the most egregious of these, is the first time I encountered seth that carried ballistic weapons. I think it's the 4th level. It's night time, ruined buildings in a swampy area. I get to a section where they throw at least a half dozen of those guys at you, I clear them out and that spawns another wave that seem to be even tougher. So, I don't know if it's infinite or not(even though I spent a bunch of retries trying to clear the area completely), but that moment where I officially abandoned engaging guys to go after a marker happened. And, of course, they disappeared as soon as I hit that scripted marker, even though I'm still standing in the same open spot, about 30 feet from where they would have been.

This goes along with weapon selection basically not being a factor, AI and enemy design being very one note that in turn means encounter design is bland. Apart from a couple of vents leading to an alternate path earlier around the dam area, the environments are also nothing interesting, just a slave to whatever visuals they want to show off.

I don't remember Crysis 2 being like this, it was not state of the art mechanically, but they definitely tried. This has turned out to be a visual showcase, which is actually detrimental in my case(playing on the ps3), because I lose so much visual clarity and playability for some effects.

KKRT00

The latest, and perhaps the most egregious of these, is the first time I encountered seth that carried ballistic weapons. I think it's the 4th level. It's night time, ruined buildings in a swampy area. I get to a section where they throw at least a half dozen of those guys at you, I clear them out and that spawns another wave that seem to be even tougher. So, I don't know if it's infinite or not(even though I spent a bunch of retries trying to clear the area completely), but that moment where I officially abandoned engaging guys to go after a marker happened. And, of course, they disappeared as soon as I hit that scripted marker, even though I'm still standing in the same open spot, about 30 feet from where they would have been.

Strange, i cleared this zone and then started to record gameplay and make gifs there, no NPC spawned.

You mean this zone?
http://i.minus.com/iboZdvXPIme1EG.gif
http://i.minus.com/iUM96HVPZxQjA.gif

TTG

You mean this zone?

Yes, and in that case, I guess the reinforcements are finite. There were definitely at least 2 waves of them, I had to replay the bulk of that segment/checkpoint a couple of times because I kept mismanaging my suit energy(let it deplete while cloaked, then trigger an alarmed state by killing a guy or whatever).

I still don't like that the design of that section made me take the path of least resistance halfway through. It's not something I ever do in shooters. I liked the verticality of that section in the game, too bad I just ended up cloaked with a bow and arrow, waiting for one of them to wander off from the pack.

Eideka

Banned

Crysis 3's visuals are certainly impressive (having played the game at very high settings) but I'm hesitant to outright claim it will hold its own against the first wave of next-gen games, exclusives or multiplats.

Not so long ago I used to consider it as a good representation of what should be expected from next-gen early on but now I'm not so sure. Watch Dogs in my opinion is more impressive and it's a cross-gen game.

Crysis 3's visuals are certainly impressive (having played the game at very high settings) but I'm hesitant to outright claim it will hold its own against the first wave of next-gen games, exclusives or multiplats.

Not so long ago I used to consider it as a good representation of what should be expected from next-gen early on but now I'm not so sure. Watch Dogs in my opinion is more impressive and it's a cross-gen game.
Hmmm... Watch Dogs might be more impressive if you take its scope into account, but nothing I've seen yet makes me think it is on par with Crysis 3 in terms of sheer visuals. Same goes for Killzone: Shadow Fall, which had the extremely impressive city scape, but otherwise was not as strong graphically as Crysis 3, IMHO.

Of course, both those games have plenty of development time yet, but they aren't there yet, not to my eyes anyway. I'd expect the best looking next-gen launch games will be roughly on par w/Crysis 3 and they'll eclipse it shortly after that.

Just loaded up the game on 360 for some multi and was greeted with an update. Update finished and I went to the multiplayer menu when I noticed my dog tag reset to a generic Crysis logo. Odd, I thought, but no big thing, I'll just switch it back. Wasn't even gonna bother right away but I figured I'd do it anyway so I could see if I unlocked any new ones last night. Not only were there no new ones, the reason it changed my tag was because it reset about 90% of my unlocks for some reason including the one I had equipped.

Not a big deal considering the tags are just cosmetic fluff but annoying to be sure. It didnt even reset all of them just most. Is this a known issue? Preventable? Due to the update?

Wtf Crytek. Beat the last boss, game froze when the achievement popped up. Now it always freezes the game and won't let me bring up my guns during the last section of the boss fight. If i try to quit The xbox freezes. If i die, it freezes. What the hell. I just want to see the ending but this is bullshit.

RS4-

Beat the game last night on supersoldier...eh, wasn't too impressed. Didn't really enjoy 2 either.

Nothing stood out for me, just another FPS.

Willectro

Banned
I'm using a 5 year old PC, so I can't play Crysis 3. Went to my friend's place last night and he had just built a new rig. Played about 2 hours and I was amazed. I will be building a new PC soon, haha.

Top Bottom