• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 |OT| 1. Nomad / 1.5 Psycho / 2. ??? / 3. Prophet

scitek

I run this with an overclocked 7850 (to 7870 levels) 2 GB card on very high everything 1080P, with some settings set to high, get 40-50 FPS.

It is a very pretty game. But so was crysis 1 and 2. Graphically I think we're at the point of saturation and diminishing returns. As impressive as this game is, Uncharted still probably wows me more in terms of design.

Game itself is decent. I still feel Crysis 1 is where it's at.

Uncharted is a technical marvel, but the gameplay in that series is average at best. The shooting mechanics are weak, the platforming an afterthought, and the puzzles insultingly simple. Nice to show off an HDTV with in 2009, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally finished this, good game. The last hour or so was pretty poor though, and they still have the worst story telling in games. Luckily I don't play the Crysis series for the story at all so it's no big deal. In the main I enjoyed it.
I actually think they do incredible work with their first person cutscenes...but the actual stories being told are quite awful.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The "raptor field" section was pretty mind blowing, it was terrifying in spite of itself. Those enemies look soooooooo stupid, but having them pop out of the grass was terrifying. That was truly some next generation stuff. That type of tension just wouldn't have been possible without the density of that grass. I need to open up the fov though, I'm about to play another sitting. Overall the world just isn't interactive enoughm it's so weird to be walking around this area with such a high level of visual fidelity but it still feels so lifeless.

Gritesh

I haven't been paying attention to this game that much but is the game open world like Crysis 1? or is it closed corridor like Crysis 2?

I haven't been paying attention to this game that much but is the game open world like Crysis 1? or is it closed corridor like Crysis 2?
It's somewhere in the middle. Some missions are more Crysis 2 style, and some are more open. But yeah, it's a more expanded Crysis 2.

I wasn't really a huge fan of this approach. I may get killed, but I thought Crysis 2 was a more exciting (better) game as a result of the decisions it made. I completely understand the appeal of the first game, but I didn't play it until after finishing C2. As well, after playing FC3 I really had no desire for the open style as I thought it nailed it.

Anyways, Crysis 3 was alright I guess. Raptor field-style mission was actually pretty intense, but the back half of the game was quite dull to me. The grass technology really helped, but the environments got incredibly stale by the end, despite all being their own thing. Artistically they were all too similar for me.

Gritesh

It's somewhere in the middle. Some missions are more Crysis 2 style, and some are more open. But yeah, it's a more expanded Crysis 2.

I wasn't really a huge fan of this approach. I may get killed, but I thought Crysis 2 was a more exciting (better) game as a result of the decisions it made. I completely understand the appeal of the first game, but I didn't play it until after finishing C2. As well, after playing FC3 I really had no desire for the open style as I thought it nailed it.

Anyways, Crysis 3 was alright I guess. Raptor field-style mission was actually pretty intense, but the back half of the game was quite dull to me. The grass technology really helped, but the environments got incredibly stale by the end, despite all being their own thing. Artistically they were all too similar for me.

Thanks.

I think I will wait for a sale on this game, there are like 5 or 6 other games coming in March that I want so this one is going to have to wait till another time.

Uncharted is a technical marvel, but the gameplay in that series is average at best. The shooting mechanics are weak, the platforming an afterthought, and the puzzles insultingly simple. Nice to show off an HDTV with in 2009, though.

Wow, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Uncharted 2 didn't win all those GOTY awards because it had average at best gameplay.

Also since the DF article still isn't posted yet, can someone post the major differences between the PS3/360 versions?

mr stroke

Just finished the game and what a let down. Graphics, sound design, and score-10/10. Everything else was average at best-Terrible level design, linear levels, incoherent story and all around boring(half the game is running past enemies cloaked). Its too bad as Crysis 1 is one of my favorite games of all time.

scitek

Wow, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Uncharted 2 didn't win all those GOTY awards because it had average at best gameplay.

Also since the DF article still isn't posted yet, can someone post the major differences between the PS3/360 versions?

You're right, I've only played them, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll listen to other people instead from now on.

Just finished the game and what a let down. Graphics, sound design, and score-10/10. Everything else was average at best-Terrible level design, linear levels, incoherent story and all around boring(half the game is running past enemies cloaked). Its too bad as Crysis 1 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Playing half the game cloaked and running past enemies was all you. Be more creative.

OnTheFly tool.

Bind keys for custom graphics settings, enable/disable HUD, change DOF quality, change weapon FOV and slowmotion.

http://maldotex.blogspot.com/2013/02/maldo-onthefly-for-crysis-3.html

Fucking awesome. Thanks MaLDo!

You're right, I've only played them, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll listen to other people instead from now on.

UC2 was revolutionary for this generation with its gameplay. "Set pieces" was never done the way they were done in UC2 before that game existed(see falling hotel and train level). Look at all the games that ended up copies this gameplay mechanic! Its probably was my number 1 game this gen, but it also has universal acclaim on gaf too. To say its gameplay was average is just so off base and false it's ridiculous.

FACE

Banned
OnTheFly tool.

Bind keys for custom graphics settings, enable/disable HUD, change DOF quality, change weapon FOV and slowmotion.

Thank you!

UC2 was revolutionary for this generation with its gameplay. "Set pieces" was never done the way they were done in UC2 before that game existed(see falling hotel and train level). Look at all the games that ended up copies this gameplay mechanic! Its probably was my number 1 game this gen, but it also has universal acclaim on gaf too. To say its gameplay was average is just so off base and false it's ridiculous.

You have just described why I hate Uncharted.

scitek

Maldo, is there a way to have your Ultra settings start, but to also have Game Effects on Very High and 16xAF? I'm going to get tired of having to change those every time I start the game. Regardless, I don't know what you tweaked specifically, but I'm getting another 7-8 fps at 1440p and it still looks awesome.

OnTheFly tool.

Not sure if I'd call this a bug (as the STEAM Overlay doesn't really work all that well with Crysis 3 anyways) but if you use STEAM to launch Crysis 3 to get the overlay, if you bring up the overlay while running your tool you can't close the overlay nor select anything on it.

sp3000

There is nothing revolutionary about scripted set pieces. Halo 3 did a huge scripted set piece with 3 scarabs that was far larger in scale than anything in UC3. The only reason Uncharted stood out is because itlooked good.

And the fact that it's gameplay mechanic is copied generally means that its awful. Look at the way COD has single handedly destroyed the FPS genre.

There is no game that has universal acclaim on GAF. Uncharted is most certainly not one of them.

Finished this one tonight, 9 hours in total, on whatever it refers to as the "normal" difficulty.

As much as I normally enjoy end sequences, this one had a ton of potential but squandered it by liberally dusting the battlefield with I WIN buttons. By that I mean it was way way way too easy to just use those alien battery things to keep your suit persistently overcharged. You could just storm through it with a reaper cannon that never runs out of ammo and armor that doesn't deplete, the only challenge being the final boss's very occasional insta-death attacks.

Otherwise, enjoyed the campaign overall. On to multiplayer then :)

kitch9

Banned
WTF?! You are calling game boring, because You were skipping encounters?

--
@Maldo
Grats, that they allowed You to publish that :)

Once you are "spotted" the AI just seems to spam you from everywhere though so cloak is the only way to go.

It feels like the game is running through tighter corridors than Crysis 2 as well, its very claustrophobic.

mr stroke

]Once you are "spotted" the AI just seems to spam you from everywhere though so cloak is the only way to go.[/B]

It feels like the game is running through tighter corridors than Crysis 2 as well, its very claustrophobic.

+1

Had the weapons, AI, and level layout been more interesting(Crysis 1) I would have engaged in more combat. The majority of the combat is either cheap or boring thus turning to cloak seemed like the only way to get past most levels.

MaLDo

Maldo, is there a way to have your Ultra settings start, but to also have Game Effects on Very High and 16xAF? I'm going to get tired of having to change those every time I start the game. Regardless, I don't know what you tweaked specifically, but I'm getting another 7-8 fps at 1440p and it still looks awesome.

Open autoexec.cfg and add a new line for ultra preset this way

exec maldo.cfg
exec maldo_ultra.cfg

Hokhoku

Banned
In the ending where Prophet is in space and talks about himself! This actors voice combined with the music make a very intense moment! I was so impressed

KKRT00

Once you are "spotted" the AI just seems to spam you from everywhere though so cloak is the only way to go.

No, if someone doesnt see You, he doesnt see You and engage You. Of course if You pin down someone, he will call for help. What did You except? AI is very fair [except guys behind machine guns].

And how it is claustrophobic? o_0 Areas are much bigger than they were in C2.

Metal-Geo

That bow is really, really, really satisfying on the hardest difficulty. I felt pretty bad-ass killing 8 Cephs using a single arrow. (Shoot, run to arrow, pick it up, rinse and repeat) Then the 9th time the arrow didn't kill the Ceph... Shit. :V

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Finished it last night, enjoyed it. There's just something I can't put my finger on, I want to like these games more than I do but somehow they feel... for the lack of a better word inhibited. Also I'd sacrifice a lot of Crysis if they could just have some believable A.I, somehow the soldiers you meet appear more dumb than anything I've played in modern shooters.

phaze

Ending spoilers *

So Psycho is dead right ? He would have been sucked into space and he had no suit to protect him.

9 Hours eh?

How did you play?
Assuming you're replying to me. :)

I did a mix of some stealth and some aggressive tactics, plus I'm one of those guys that will explore areas a bit to find upgrades and make sure my ammo's all stocked up for the next asskicking. I was definitely not speed running, but other than the exploration I wasn't moving at a snail's pace either.

I probably also stopped to take screenshots a lot. :)

Jackpot

Banned
I enjoyed this more than Crysis 2 but I can't really put my finger on why.

Also barely used the bow, and this coming from someone who had an archery-only build in Skyrim.

Aliens still more boring to fight than humans.

kinggroin

Banned

How can you praise Crysis 1 just after admitting to running through Crysis 3 cloaked??

As for my opinion, the gameplay variety (thanks to more interactive environments) in the first game puts only slightly above the 3rd. 2nd entry is faaaaaar behind them. If Crysis would increase enemy variety, density, and means of attack....it would easily be in my top 5 fps campaigns of all time.

How can you praise Crysis 1 just after admitting to running through Crysis 3 cloaked??

As for my opinion, the gameplay variety (thanks to more interactive environments) in the first game puts only slightly above the 3rd. 2nd entry is faaaaaar behind them. If Crysis would increase enemy variety, density, and means of attack....it would easily be in my top 5 fps campaigns of all time.

You give some people a sandbox, they create a sandcastle. You give one to others, they dig themselves a hole. /oversimplified post with a nice ring to it.

KyleN

Banned
Hope we can dual wield in the next crysis!
ibv6AuloS8CXsD.jpg

Vitor711

Finished it last night, enjoyed it. There's just something I can't put my finger on, I want to like these games more than I do but somehow they feel... for the lack of a better word inhibited. Also I'd sacrifice a lot of Crysis if they could just have some believable A.I, somehow the soldiers you meet appear more dumb than anything I've played in modern shooters.

It doesn't help either that the enemy density is just so low and they rarely throw more than one enemy type at you at once.

Seriously, all someone has to do is rejig the enemy placement, making use of some of the weirdly empty areas of each level, and increase the difficulty, and it would be every bit as enjoyable as C2.

As is, beside the areas set in a sunny New York, the game was a bit of a disappointment. I still absolutely enjoyed it and I'll take average Crysis over almost any other FPS, but it's just frustrating to see how much wasted opportunity there was.

x-Lundz-x

Ending spoilers *

So Psycho is dead right ? He would have been sucked into space and he had no suit to protect him.

He is in a cut scene after the credits roll but I am not sure if it takes place after the end of the game or not.

Gbraga

I would love it Crytek added a "manual" suit mode, which allowed you to control the game like C1.

And also an option to make the gun models small so they dont take up as much of the screen like C1 also.

I'd love that.

Or a CE3 Crysis remake with no aliens.

scitek

It doesn't help either that the enemy density is just so low and they rarely throw more than one enemy type at you at once.

Seriously, all someone has to do is rejig the enemy placement, making use of some of the weirdly empty areas of each level, and increase the difficulty, and it would be every bit as enjoyable as C2.

As is, beside the areas set in a sunny New York, the game was a bit of a disappointment. I still absolutely enjoyed it and I'll take average Crysis over almost any other FPS, but it's just frustrating to see how much wasted opportunity there was.

I get a lot of that "rushed development" feeling from this game. I still like it better than 2, but that comes down to there being way more sandboxy environments. The only one I liked replaying a lot in the second game was The Gate Keepers, and it was still pretty small.

I don't like how this game handles weapon management, there are too many guns and you can only carry one pfftt. I didn't like Resistance 3 that much but the weapon wheel in that game was such a good design.

KKRT00

It looks that i'm defending this game non-stop, but i cant really understand complains about AI, because its very good, probably the best in any fps i've played.

scitek

It looks that i'm defending this game non-stop, but i cant really understand complains about AI, because its very good, probably the best in any fps i've played.

I think the AI's pretty good on SuperSoldier. It does act derpy every now and then, but that's purely down to the open environments. They sure like to spam those EMP grenades, though.

iNvid02

Really? Damn

Wish I hadn't skipped the credits now lol.

Elsewhere, two frightened CELL troopers and three frazzled men hurriedly retreat down a corridor. They are being attacked and pursued by an unknown enemy accompanied by strange sounds. It is revealed that the three men comprise the CELL board of directors. A door closes without incident. The Cell troopers turn around and are shot. The three nervous men turn to find Michael sitting at a desk. He claims to have had spent some time at one of their hospitals, and he wants to file a complaint.

Elsewhere, two frightened CELL troopers and three frazzled men hurriedly retreat down a corridor. They are being attacked and pursued by an unknown enemy accompanied by strange sounds. It is revealed that the three men comprise the CELL board of directors. A door closes without incident. The Cell troopers turn around and are shot. The three nervous men turn to find Michael sitting at a desk. He claims to have had spent some time at one of their hospitals, and he wants to file a complaint.

Awesome thanks for this. I will have to watch when I beat it again.

phaze

He is in a cut scene after the credits roll but I am not sure if it takes place after the end of the game or not.

Thanks I never have the patience for credits to end.

Top Bottom