• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

We putting reviews in here?

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=668

Once, I was holed up in a small wooden HQ building, sitting in the window and alternating picking off enemies--scanning while cloacked, squeezing off a headshot, then ducking out of sight while my shield recharged, feeling very pleased with my stealthy self. I swear to you, when an enemy grenade rolled up and blew away half the building, leaving me exposed to a group of now very pissed off North Koreans, I nearly shit my pants out of sheer surprise and shock.
Crysis starts out a little like the movie Predator--in the midst of an armed conflict, you move warily through a dense jungle, continually finding your squadmates gruesomely eviscerated by some unknown, likely non-human, force. In a bit of what is probably unintentional parallelism, you can completely turn the dynamic of the game around and become the Predator itself.

Juggling the cloak, the silencer, a high-powered rifle and scope, enhanced strength to steady your aim, grenades for sowing confusion, enhanced speed to stay on the move, and dense undergrowth for cover when not cloaked, you can silently and satisfyingly take out one enemy at a time, leaving fellow enemies to discover their comrades' bodies but unable to locate the killer.

le.phat

aw yeah bitches, the official crysis thread!
time to flex my pc, and make some sucka's jealous!! lets see here"...Big screens..."big screens ? man, my 8800GTs 640 MB's squeezing out 30 fps on very high @ 1680 x 1050. big enough for you ? yeah thought so, NEXT! "...5.1 surround sound..." Gah, on my 7.1 creative system this jungle just got a bit realer , ya heard ?? and finally "....Comfy Couches.." yeah son, my b.....wait what ?

bee

well i dont give a shit if the final third isnt as good as the rest, this is the most fun game of the year for me without question, still haven't made it too far as its pretty difficult on delta and i cant help but just wander around looking at stuff and replaying sections over in different ways.

im sure in days to come crysis forum threads will be full of little stories like this but anyway here goes, im walking through a wood its night time theres a beautiful mist hovering around when suddenly i hear the blades of a helicopter approaching, "oh fuck i fucking hate these helicopters" im thinking, it makes its 1st pass with its spotlight on and gun firing, the light filtering through the trees beautifully and the gun mowing them down left and right, i maximum speed out of there to avoid the falling trees to find myself in an open paddy field i spot a big sandbag which i crouch behind with the screen flashing red as im about to die, i fire off a few rounds and set its left hand missile pod ablaze then switch to rocket launcher and score a direct hit...it survives, "oh ffs die dammit" then i fire another rocket and it obligingly does so, falling out of the sky onto a nearby hut demolishing it and killing 2 kpa guards inside then rolls off takes down two palm trees and finally comes to a rest with a big spash in the field.

of course its all totally unscripted and it will never happen the same way again, but it played out so well it was way better than any scripted event in other games ive played, awesome game.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Thunderbear said:
I've been playing on Geforce 7900 and it's been running fine on medium with some settings on high.

I will go out tomorrow and get a 8800GT. For $269 it's worth it considering the amount of good PC games at the moment.

I picked up the 8800GT today and now I am running 1280x720 2xaa _all_ settings on very high under WindowsXP 64bit and averaging 40fps. I was a bit worried when I bought it but wow... it looks amazing in medium, but in very high it ... speechless.

GOTY so far for me.

quetz67

Banned
Thunderbear said:
I picked up the 8800GT today and now I am running 1280x720 2xaa _all_ settings on very high under WindowsXP 64bit and averaging 40fps. I was a bit worried when I bought it but wow... it looks amazing in medium, but in very high it ... speechless.

GOTY so far for me.
ooops, my 8800 GTS at 1920x1200 no AA didnt nearly give me such performance in the demo...so there is hope final version with some tweaking and latest drivers will improve things

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This and Galaxy on the one day = omgplosion

And then Uncharted next week.

I literally don't know where I'll find the time.

Do the new beta nVidia drivers give a good boost? Some of the performance numbers (on the 8800GT) being mentioned sound promising.

Thunderbear said:

GOTY so far for me.

What are your specs?

Rur0ni

Thunderbear said:

GOTY so far for me.
Seriously. o_O I know that 1024 > 720, but you shouldn't net so much more FPS than me, as well as under very high with AA. I'm appalled.

Icy said:
How much interest do you guys have in a NeoGAF Crysis MP Server?

I think the GAF segment capable of playing the game may prove too small to make it worthwhile. It may ultimately be better to find another server that everyone seems to get decent ping times to and agree to meet there in hopes that it will also be populated by others.

Icy

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
I think the GAF segment capable of playing the game may prove too small to make it worthwhile. It may ultimately be better to find another server that everyone seems to get decent ping times to and agree to meet there in hopes that it will also be populated by others.

thats what the current state of both the CoD4 and TF2 servers are :D

bee said:
of course its all totally unscripted and it will never happen the same way again, but it played out so well it was way better than any scripted event in other games ive played, awesome game.

A bit off-topic, but...

Reminds me of when I unleashed the AI in Stalker and strolled around checking out how the AI reacted to their new found freedom. After being chased by a very large pack of dogs, I ventured into Dark Valley where this friendly guy with a kickass scoped assault rifle had slaughtered a camp of bandits and sat near a bush scanning the horizon. So of course I shot him in the head till he died and stole his weapon.

Proceeded down the road down to this large industrial warehouse type building. Crazy people were running around shooting at each other in its vicinity. I didn't feel like getting caught in the crossfire so I chose to ignore it. Noticed there were a couple of blips on my radar emitting from a multistoried building on the other side of the road. One being a neutral stalker. So I went to check out what that dude was up to. Up the stairs, into room.

Death. Three corpses lied dead on the floor with one injured stalker writhing in pain. Wondered what the hell had happened here. I was about to find out as I gave the wounded stalker a medpack. Suddenly I heard an eerie howl. "What the hell was that?" I turned on the flashlight and turned it towards the doorway where I was greeted by two glowing eyes. For a while it just stood there, giving me time to act like a deer caught in the headlights before it lept forward. It mauled the other stalker to death in an instant before attacking me while I pumped bullets into its chest and screamed like a little girl in my head.

I think I hurt it cause eventually it ran out of the room. But I could hear it breathing somewhere out there. Having no idea where it went I thought it'd be safer to just wait and see if it would come back. There was only one point of entry, so at least I knew where it'd come from. For a while I just stood there in this room filled with corpses, hearing it breath, not knowing when or if it'd return. After a minute or two of psychologically unsound terror I decided to just gun for it and hope to make it past the damn thing.

Off I went, out of the room, to the right, down the first set of stairs, second, third, woohoo, I can see the exit I made IAAAAHHH!! On the last set of stairs I ran straight into it, scared the shit out of me. It lunged at me and started clawing at my belly and also my face. But at least now I wasn't cornered and had more room to maneuver. So I stepped backwards while unloading the magazine into it and thinkscreaming "DIEEEEE!" all manly like. This was my last stand. Either him or me. Finally, after two magazines, it went down. To make sure it was dead I emptied another magazine into its head.

I was just playing around, taking a leisurely stroll, exploring, and all of a sudden I walk into this house of terror playing out like some scene out of a horror movie. If you think about it it sounds like the bloodsucker was setting a trap for me. It most likely didn't, cause that'd be some immensely ridiculous AI, but it sure seems plausible.

In summary: Unscripted shit am awesome.

Thunderbear

quetz67 said:
ooops, my 8800 GTS at 1920x1200 no AA didnt nearly give me such performance in the demo...so there is hope final version with some tweaking and latest drivers will improve things

1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

1280x720 = 921,600 pixels

I am very satisfied with running this game at 720p, you're asking a lot to be able to play a game that blows everything else out of the water at 1080p on very high settings. If those are your expectations be prepared to be a bit disappointed.

Oh and to add to other people's AI comments, the AI is freaking amazing. They really feel intelligent, and never like they are cheating. Best AI ever in my opinion.

Thunderbear said:
1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

1280x720 = 921,600 pixels

I am very satisfied with running this game at 720p, you're asking a lot to be able to play a game that blows everything else out of the water at 1080p on very high settings. If those are your expectations be prepared to be a bit disappointed.

Oh and to add to other people's AI comments, the AI is freaking amazing. They really feel intelligent, and never like they are cheating. Best AI ever in my opinion.

You tried out the new beta drivers right? I heard they make a pretty significant difference.

What is the consensus on playing this on the high spec macbook pros? Is it even possible on decent settings? The ones with the 256MB geforce and dual core 2.4ghz.

I want to try the demo on it but haven't gotten bootcamp installed yet.

Mamesj

Banned
Does the DX10 effect hack work on the retail version as well?

Also, does it really enable all the effects in the DX10 version of the game? or just some of them.

Thunderbear said:

I think the AI is hit-or-miss. Sometimes it acts very intelligent, and other times at is dumb as nails.

As an example, I was playing the first level, and there were three NKs sitting around a rock chatting -- I was hiding in the bushes about 10-15 feet away cloaked. Anyway, a humvee comes driving up the road and drives past us, and stops around 30 yards down the road from the three NKs sitting at the rock. I pop a few rounds into the gas tank on the rear of the humvee and it explodes, killing all the occupants. You would expect the three other NKs sitting at the rock 30 yards away to hear the explosion and come running to investigate... right? Yeah, I did too. But instead, they just sat there and continued with their rambling. Stupid shit like that bugs me to no end. Still, the game is phenomenal.

Got it today and played until nightfall (in game)

Holy fucking shit.

The most open and best fucking firefights I've ever had in a single player game, seriously, right after the point where the demo ends, the next mission/map loads and I can't describe how much fun it was, same with the one after and the one after that. They make the first level/demo look like something out of Half Life in terms of linearity.

Rur0ni

There is a point, that if you try to play stealthy and a copter ever spots you, and you manage to get your "alert level" back down, it'll keep following you and hovering over you, and won't shoot at you until you reveal yourself. But that friggin thing followed me a few kilometers or some shit. It was night as well.
From the dome excavation to the point you meet the koreans in nano suits
. I mean seriously, that was annoying. I prefer stealthy play, but you can't run freely in the jungle with the copter following you the whole way, even though it doesn't see you. Like, it knows you're there yet it pretends not to know. :p

Delta difficulty btw. Impossible to rambo. You will die nearly instantly. Maximum armor fails you. But I like it that way.

*rants some more*

It would be so much more pleasurable if the fucking choppers didn't follow you everywhere even though you cloak and hide properly.

Chrono

Banned
So there aren't significant performance boosts for quad core or a 64bit OS? Crytek said those will be utilized for their game and people were saying the demo was only single threaded. =\

Rur0ni said:
There is a point, that if you try to play stealthy and a copter ever spots you, and you manage to get your "alert level" back down, it'll keep following you and hovering over you, and won't shoot at you until you reveal yourself. But that friggin thing followed me a few kilometers or some shit. It was night as well.
From the dome excavation to the point you meet the koreans in nano suits
. I mean seriously, that was annoying. I prefer stealthy play, but you can't run freely in the jungle with the copter following you the whole way, even though it doesn't see you. Like, it knows you're there yet it pretends not to know. :p

Delta difficulty btw. Impossible to rambo. You will die nearly instantly. Maximum armor fails you. But I like it that way.

*rants some more*

It would be so much more pleasurable if the fucking choppers didn't follow you everywhere even though you cloak and hide properly.

I'm playing on normal as that's what I usually do the first time I play a game (I'll definitely revisit it on higher difficulties)

I stopped right after the the exiting the dome but I've been taking the most scenic routes possible and kept finding some nice weapon cashes so I've had no problems with choppers at all, (i think I shot 3 or 4 down)

The style of play I've been using is most resemblant to Predator with a touch of Aliens, I do monster movie tactics on groups of soldiers where I'll observe a patrol going by in the jungle, tag them all with my binocs, then stealth to a location ahead of their patrol route where the terrain offers good advantages for the terror I'm going to rain down on them. I'll stay cloaked in a bush and let them pass me, when the soldier who's bringing up the rear is passing me I'll jump out while switching to strength mode grab the fucker by the throat toss him off into the woods and switch back to cloak as I enter the bush across from where I used to be. After that I'll speed over to the front as the rest of the guys wonder where the fuck their buddy went and take out the point man in a similar lightning quick assault.

Now I cut right through the middle of their line taking one dude and throwing him into at least one other then melt back into the the undergrowth as they freak out, some break and run, others try to follow me or at least go where they saw me disappear, one may fire a flare to call for help, a desperate and ultimately futile act since I will have slaughtered them all within the next 30 seconds and repeat the process with the reinforcements when they eventually get there. The arsenal I use is a combo of the shotgun, precision rifle, dual pistols and a LAW. I sight my targets while stealthed switch to armor jsut long enough to pull the trigger and go back to stealth in order to re locate.

And that's just for jungle patrols, encampments I deal with in a state of controlled chaos and it's oh so fun.

Monster movie tactics is the best description, every fight plays out like a scene from a monster movie where the alien/dinosaur/creature is fucking up the expendable cast members left and right while building tension for the main characters as they try to escape or fight it.

Except there's no Ripley, Dutch or Dr. Grant; the monster is the lead character and I'm the monster.

mentho

i was running it at 1680x1050, no aa, settings on high with two 8800gts sli today at 30fps. dx10 in vista. it doesn't seem to be significantly changed from the demo except sli kind of works with the new nvidia drivers. I'm going to have to mess around with bumping it up to very high and lowering the resolution to see if that makes the game look/perform any better.

also has anybody noticed differences between the dx9 and dx10 high settings? I only have a chance to mess around with it a little bit today but i haven't seen anywhere where people compare dx9 and dx10 in the game on "high" settings.

Pimpbaa

I guess there is no point in running this in dx10 mode if you can't do the ultra high settings, right? Didn't seem to look any different with my settings (everything high), plus it runs a hell of a lot faster in dx9 mode.

Sullen

My gamestop got my copy in yesterday afternoon, and I picked up then and played a ton last night and today, and finished it just a few minutes ago. Played through on Delta, not sure about total play time, probably somewhere around 10ish hours?

The last third of the game is definitely different from the first parts, but it wasn't any 'worse' in my opinion. It is different from how the game plays up to that point, but it isn't as if the quality of the experience just suddenly turns into shit. I personally enjoyed the hell out of the last parts of the game, especially the final sequence.

I pretty much loved everything about this game except for the occasionally spotty AI. It wasn't consistently bad or cheap or anything, just had a few bugs here and there. Most of the time it kept me on my damn toes (delta diff.) without being cheap, which is pretty rare among shooters these days. The one thing I hated most though was the Halo 2-esque ending, I'll never understand why any dev would think an ending like that is even remotely appropriate, but whatever. I just wanted it to keep going and going though, but I'm sure we'll see a sequel(s).

mentho

gamespot has a hardware performance guide: http://www.gamespot.com/features/61...=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

pretty good stuff.

Crysis is the textbook definition of a next-generation game. Picturesque beaches? Check. Ridiculously detailed jungles? Check. Utterly drinkable water effects? Check. Requires a computer from the future? Check. Crysis is either a game from the future that managed to travel back in time to warn us about nanosuits and North Koreans as interpreted though a cleverly disguised shooter, or it's just ahead of its time. Our best test computers, outfitted with high-end CPUs and GPUs, struggled to maintain frame rates at the game's highest-quality settings. Suffice it to say, you will need to upgrade your computer for Crysis.

bee

Sullen said:
My gamestop got my copy in yesterday afternoon, and I picked up then and played a ton last night and today, and finished it just a few minutes ago. Played through on Delta, not sure about total play time, probably somewhere around 10ish hours?

The last third of the game is definitely different from the first parts, but it wasn't any 'worse' in my opinion. It is different from how the game plays up to that point, but it isn't as if the quality of the experience just suddenly turns into shit. I personally enjoyed the hell out of the last parts of the game, especially the final sequence.

I pretty much loved everything about this game except for the occasionally spotty AI. It wasn't consistently bad or cheap or anything, just had a few bugs here and there. Most of the time it kept me on my damn toes (delta diff.) without being cheap, which is pretty rare among shooters these days. The one thing I hated most though was the Halo 2-esque ending, I'll never understand why any dev would think an ending like that is even remotely appropriate, but whatever. I just wanted it to keep going and going though, but I'm sure we'll see a sequel(s).

just finished it myself and was also playing on delta, i totally agree that the ai never feels cheap unlike fucking cod4 and its wallhacking grenade spamming enemies.

the final 3rd of the game is different to the initial open environments thats for sure but its certainly isn't bad by any means, not as good? maybe, but i still enjoyed it a lot, the only thing i didn't like about the final 3rd was the performance it suddenly started performing much worse to the point that i had to turn shaders down to medium.

the ending, well i was totally expecting something like that with cevat yerli saying its the 1st part in a trilogy, not a great ending but ive seen worse, crysis 2 now please :D

couple of other things, the multiplayer is ok but not really my thing but one thing to note is a few of the mod teams have had the alpha sdk for over a year now and i think a mod like obsidian edge 2 will be a much better multiplayer experience, which leads me onto the editor, ive only ever used hammer before and it was a pain in the arse where as here the cry engine 2 editor really adds to the game with its ease of use and i will actually be trying to make my own (probably shit) map.

matto 5 in cry engine 2, gimme gimme.

AGFlamey

Review on Angry Gamer

The AI is fucking pathetic, You have guys that walk backwards toward you, WTF? How dumb can you get? Also walking directly out of cover is kind of stupid. Another point, one of your abilities is a cloaking mechanism, cool, except if you have twenty guys around you and you turn it on… straight away you will hear "Target lost" and they go walking
around like twits…

The sound, I could fart better sound, in fact, maybe thats just what they did. The Protagonist's voice is typical "Tough Guy", uttering monosylobolic crap like "I'm on it" and "take em out" … seriously?!

The graphics, Apart from the extremely high spec system you will need to see it in its full beauty.. it is indeed …..well, beautiful… I have to admit this is quite possibly the sexiest game I have played…

My opinion, having only played it in demo form - there's not enough actual designers working in PC games these days.

Leonsito

I just received an email from EA about the Crysis launch, it seems that they read GAF and have adopted the "Jesus Crysis" phrase to their marketing:

Crysis is amongst us.

Let your divine influence spills
over this devastated land.
Have mercy of the disgraced that suffer
the power and tyranny of the war.
Help us to believe that suffering brings justice.
Hear our prayers and give us a
remedy for our calamities.

Click here to submit your pray and save the world.

ES.jpg

I tried to do my best with the translation :D

schmalz

I'm not really much of a pc gamer these days, so I'm hoping some of you guys can help me gauge what kind of performance I should expect on this game with these specs on Vista.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6420 (4MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT-DDR3

I'm not expecting much, but is it going to have a steady framerate on low settings at least? Thanks for any help.

schmalz said:
I'm not really much of a pc gamer these days, so I'm hoping some of you guys can help me gauge what kind of performance I should expect on this game with these specs on Vista.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6420 (4MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT-DDR3

I'm not expecting much, but is it going to have a steady framerate on low settings at least? Thanks for any help.

You'll probably be okay on low, but I'd download the demo yourself and check it out before purchase.

Doc Evils

Just installed the game and played it.

1050 with no aa.

ALL setting very high.

sadly I took more 30 screens, only to realise print screen does not work in crysis >:|.

The only reason I left now to post here is because the damn game made my nvidia drivers stop responding. 0_0

Words can no describe this game or screens in true DX10 glory....

for anyone wondering the Vista rating for this game is 5.0.

Doc Evils said:
Just installed the game and played it.

1050 with no aa.

ALL setting very high.

sadly I took more 30 screens, only to realise print screen does not work in crysis >:|.

The only reason I left now to post here is because the damn game made my nvidia drivers stop responding. 0_0

Words can no describe this game or screens in true DX10 glory....

for anyone wondering the Vista rating for this game is 5.0.
Really? It worked fine for me in the demo.
Then again, I'm using XP.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Did I hit a bug or am I just missing something?

Second area, gotta find the second hostage...I go to the green dot, but no hostage in that building. The objective list says "somewhere in the village" but I've scoured the compound, killing all enemies, and going into AFAIK every building. The big two floor building with the barricaded entrance, is that supposed to have the hostage? Not seeing one there.

Thunderbear

EviLore said:
Did I hit a bug or am I just missing something?

Second area, gotta find the second hostage...I go to the green dot, but no hostage in that building. The objective list says "somewhere in the village" but I've scoured the compound, killing all enemies, and going into AFAIK every building. The big two floor building with the barricaded entrance, is that supposed to have the hostage? Not seeing one there.

He's inside the building, there are two entrances and it shouldn't be too hard because in that corridor that connects the two entrances there's only one T-intersection that leads to the hostage. Or am I talking about the wrong objective?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the hostage is in
the school, top floor

unless, of course there was something there that said they "moved the hostage" which is also entirely possible... i forget

Top Bottom