• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

EviLore said:
For some reason my performance is actually worse than in the demo. Wonder what I can attribute it to. But I ran 1080p/high in the demo and held 30 most of the time, but I had to go to 720p/high/2xAA to get a consistent 30 minimum (30-50) in the full game (including the demo level). The full game was actually going into 10fps range during one of the cutscenes at 1080p, which put some big question marks over my head.

Have the settings for the full game been tweaked upward maybe?
Couple things, first, what driver are you using? If you're not running SLI then don't bother with the new ones that came out earlier this week as they either give no benefits or even decrease performance for single card users.

2nd check your CVARs, just copy and paste the ones from your demo folder into the retail folder, run the bench mark and compare the results to those from the demo. My average frame rate is improved by ~3-4 fps compared to the demo. If you're talking about other parts of the game, well, there are varying degrees of environmental complexity throughout.

Also don't use that 2xAA setting since it doesn't work on foliage and it disables the edge-AA which does.

Solo

So how is the game itself? 99% of the talk has been about graphics, but is it a good game? I was one of the few who actually really liked Far Cry, god-awful AI and all, so hopefully Crysis is at least better than that.

But the graphics sure are nice.

Diablos

Soooo how would Crysis run on a S939 4200+, 1GB of DDR and a 512MB 7950GT?

Should I just not even get the demo and forget about it? :lol

Solo said:
So how is the game itself? 99% of the talk has been about graphics, but is it a good game? I was one of the few who actually really liked Far Cry, god-awful AI and all, so hopefully Crysis is at least better than that.

Game is fun as hell.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know everyone asks stuff like this, so my feelings won't be hurt if no one helps out, but what kind of performance can I expect with this setup:

- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6700 / 4MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB
- Video & Graphics Card: 2X Nvidia GeForce GO SLI 7950 GTX MXM IV Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA PREMIUM 64-Bit Edition
- Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 2048MB

I'd really like to run the game at 1920, but that's probably overshooting. Can I at least run it on High if I bump it down?

PS my second 7950 is in transit so I have no way of checking this myself for now.

AstroLad said:
I know everyone asks stuff like this, so my feelings won't be hurt if no one helps out, but what kind of performance can I expect with this setup:

- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6700 / 4MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB
- Video & Graphics Card: 2X Nvidia GeForce GO SLI 7950 GTX MXM IV Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory

I'd really like to run the game at 1920, but that's probably overshooting. Can I at least run it on High if I bump it down?
The thing is that there is so much you can do to tweak the game to your own perfect balance of eye candy and performance that the best answer would be to download the demo, run the included benchmarks, then go to the thread I link to in the OP and see what you can get.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MickeyKnox said:
Couple things, first, what driver are you using? If you're not running SLI then don't bother with the new ones that came out earlier this week as they either give no benefits or even decrease performance for single card users.

2nd check your CVARs, just copy and paste the ones from your demo folder into the retail folder, run the bench mark and compare the results to those from the demo. My average frame rate is improved by ~3-4 fps compared to the demo. If you're talking about other parts of the game, well, there are varying degrees of environmental complexity throughout.

Also don't use that 2xAA setting since it doesn't work on foliage and it disables the edge-AA which does.

I don't have the demo installed anymore, but I went through it several times with the same 1080p settings as I tried in the full game, always with fraps on, and it never for example dropped to 10 fps (!) during the exterior shot of the plane going through the clouds right before you paradrop. Did in the full game.

I tried with september drivers, and then updated to the crysis beta drivers. No appreciable improvement. I'll use your AA tip for 720p though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MickeyKnox said:
The thing is that there is so much you can do to tweak the game to your own perfect balance of eye candy and performance that the best answer would be to download the demo, run the included benchmarks, then go to the thread I link to in the OP and see what you can get.

Alright, I'll have to give it a shot. Had an impulse-buy bug but I'll hold off until I get the new card and try out the demo. Only downside is that I'm on a laptop, so I have to rely on the lv2g drivers rather than the official ones. Though usually they're decent I'm using the manufacturer ones right now as lv2g drivers often bring up random problems.

AstroLad said:

PS my second 7950 is in transit so I have no way of checking this myself for now.

I have a similar setup, except a single 7950 GTX GO (512), 2 gigs of RAM, a T2700 processor, so my machine is a step down and I get very playable performance in the demo at medium settings in 1024. I can move certain settings up to high, and still get playable performance, but it hitches a bit when i do that. It's been a week or two since I've played the demo, so I can't remember which settings I was able to play with at high, but I will be getting the full game at some point.

Xenon

I know I'm going to get shit for asking this but, has anyone tried the gamepad support with a 360 pad?

Tieno

Xenon said:
I know I'm going to get shit for asking this but, has anyone tried the gamepad support with a 360 pad?
When I have a strong enough PC to run Crysis I'll probably use a 360 pad too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MrCompletely said:
I have a similar setup, except a single 7950 GTX GO (512), 2 gigs of RAM, a T2700 processor, so my machine is a step down and I get very playable performance in the demo at medium settings in 1024. I can move certain settings up to high, and still get playable performance, but it hitches a bit when i do that. It's been a week or two since I've played the demo, so I can't remember which settings I was able to play with at high, but I will be getting the full game at some point.

Thanks, I had similar performance as well so far. I know the 7950 isn't going to "OMG DOUBLE" my performance, but hopefully I will get to bump it up. My biggest problems are that I'm a native-res whore; which usually isn't an issue--but Crysis at 1920, yeah probably not going to happen no matter how many 7950s I try to cram into this thing. If I can play it on High at 1680 I'll be very happy. I'm not too much of a framerate whore, especially on single-player FPSes, so at least I've got that going for me.

Xenon said:

I was curious so I did. It detects the 360 pad automatically when you plug it in and fully supports it (including rumble).

It's quite playable with a pad (though obviously better with kb+m), but theres a couple big restrictions with the pad based off the demo(will get full version later today).

You can't change sensitivity, and default is quite low. Also you can't go prone, which is kindof a biggy.

BeeDog

Solo said:

Yeah, it reminds a lot of Far Cry, so if you really liked that game you'll probably love this one too. Mind you, haven't gotten so far (to the third or fourth map), but already there has been some awesome set pieces so far. Grab it if your PC is up for the challenge.

Solo

BeeDog said:
Grab it if your PC is up for the challenge.

Sadly, its not. I want to play Crysis, but not until I can play it the way it should look. Probably another year before I build a new PC. Hopefully its still considered a technical marvel by then.

Doc Evils

I found this in the readme:

In Windows XP, saved game files, and captured screenshots for Crysis
are stored in the "Crysis" folder. In Windows Vista, saved game files
are stored in a different location--see below.

To access the "Crysis" folder, click the "Start" button in the
Windows taskbar, then click "My Documents" in Windows XP or
"Documents" in Windows Vista.

In Windows Vista, saved game files are usually stored in the following
C:\Users\<your login name>\Saved Games\Crysis

To access this folder, click the "Start" button in the Windows
Taskbar, then click "My Computer" in the Start menu. Then
navigate to the folder.

how comes xp supports screenshots and Vista doesn't?

madmook

Yeah I am also curious about screenshots. MickeyKnox how are you getting screens? When I push F12 in-game, I notice in the console it says r_getscreenshot 2 or something, followed by unknown command. I can't imagine Crytek built this top-of-the-line engine and left out taking screenshots. Hopefully its just a bug and will be fixed in a patch.

Sanjay

pc specs
oced dual core at 3.4
2gig
8800 gt
xp

i run crysis at 1080p at settings all high except shadows on medium, runs at 25fps beyond stable.

playing on delta, this games so awesome, each enemy fight feels so different because of the different bodysuit powers and they way you can combine them, forget modern warfare this is gorilla warfare.

Crysis2007-11-1322-31-00-48.jpg

P1000265.jpg

some tips you may all ready know, using turrets, cars or boats you will still be in stealth mode.

Tzeentch

Played at Very High @ 1440x960 for almost the entire game, until my framerate died on two parts:
Spoilers
1. On the VTOL escape section my craft seemed to perform worse and worse as the level went on, not sure if it was actual framerate, some scripting I didn't notice, or a bug, but by the end of the mission I was moving about 5 mph and couldn't gain any altitude.
2. For the Hunter and warship battle I had to go back to High settings because it was slideshow time - especially once the HORDES of Scouts showed up to wreck me.
Framerate got so low it was actually bugging out the game - I couldn't pick up new rocket launchers or ammo, and weapons would simply not swap. Also, on Very High the later cutscenes were laughably out of sync with the audio, meaning the audio would play and it would take almost a minute before the animations caught up and it would play the next dialog section. The final cutscene I was getting about 3 fps even on High.

BEAUTIFUL game, especially the
Onslaught (tank battle) and Core (alien ship)
level. Graphics-wise, nothing compares to this game right now.

Only negatives? Lack of weapon attachments late game (at least, none I could find), huge framerate drops in cutscenes, and the Halo 2 style ending.

E6600 2.4 (stock)
EVGA 8800GT KO (675MHz)
2gig G.Skill RAM
Vista 32

Running in DX 9 mode, with light beams added through console. 16x10, all settings High except shadows on medium.

Alf-Life

Solo said:
I was one of the few who actually really liked Far Cry, god-awful AI and all

I don't get how people can be so polarised with their opinion on this... it's either BST AI EVR or WORST AI EVR.
And never any reasons given.

Been a while since I played it, but I remember it being very very good... (although a bit smoke n mirrors like HL1)... and for those 'boat can see you a mile off' I was at least able to read that on the Stealth O Meter when being really sneaky on Realistic, felt like MGS a bit, watching the radar, but... I would never say it was retarded, they always reacted nicely for me.

Beat it and I have to say that the "hate" for the last quarter of the game is overblown, the change in mechanics isn't the arbitrary bait and switch I was assuming it would be from what I've been hearing, if anything its an extended climactic sequence in the vein of MGS3.

As far as the cliffhanger ending goes, I'd want to say it's as terrible as Half Life 2's but narrative in this game isn't nearly as important a part of the experience as it is in Half Life 2 so I still say HL2's ending was worse. Of course that's because I fucking love the Half Life cosmology and I was really engaged by that world and those characters to the point where I actually cared enough to be pissed off at the lack of closure.

Overall, this was a fantastic game, one of those rare accomplishments that completely changes the landscape of it's genre, hell, of it's entire medium. Remember back in the golden era of 1upYours when they would talk about Game Literacy? This is one of those games.

I'm going to go see if Best Buy will pricematch Circuit City's $39.99+$10 GC deal.
I'd be able to get Crysis for: $39.99-$10-$5 Rewards GC= $24.99

Tzeentch

dark10x said:
What are your specs Tzeentch?
The game-important stuff:
Q6600 @ stock (the game does NOT push processors very hard, and certainly not quad core. The game is multi-core optimized but you won't see anything special past two cores)
EVGA 512MB 8800GT stock overclock
4GB DDR2 RAM @stock 800MHz
Installed on a Raptor HD (helps load times mainly, which are fast to begin with).

Running on Vista x64 in 64 bit mode with DX10 and all Very High at 1440x900 with the latest 169.08 beta drivers (though it bluescreens Vista on Sleep). Framerate was extremely playable except in those sections I noted and cutscenes in general, even with lots of enemies and explosions and particles and vehicles. I haven't really messed with the cvars to up my framerate and didn't notice any particular difference in performance from the demo or earlier drivers - except that the .08 beta fixes most of the horrible water reflection update bug.

The game is one of the most replayable FPS's I have seen in a long time, I did a quick check on the second stage in Sandbox and there were huge chunks of the map I NEVER SAW because of the route I took. And yes, the game is very fun, with the sort of attention to little details that don't really stand out but add to the enjoyment. The AI was also very good, with its only issue being that they are almost comically brave and don't react well to extreme distance sniping - but compared to something like COD4 (does that game even HAVE AI?) it's a revelation.

Playing this game really spoils you, and its hard to play other games in the genre without comparisons now.

NeOak

Gah, i hate Gamestop...

1. I preorder Crysis LE on the 12th.

2. I go to pick it up on the 16th. They didnt call btw. I notice there is a Crysis LE box on display but no regular.

3. They give me a regular ed. I noticed before i got in the car and went back.

4. Guy goes to the back to look for mine...

5. Guy comes back with 2 little books and 3 discs. Gets the display box... i was thinking "no no no no f*ck no..."

6. Explains that they only received the one LE copy that was on display: MINE!

7. Pissed would be an understatement. I start asking why the f*ck they opened the damn LE for display when the regular is not on display. I almost make a scene there and the guy who was giving me the copy and the manager try to explain that it was policy and that they were sorry.

8. I walk out pissed. I got the game anyway since the game disc and ost were in perfect condition, but the bonus disc has 2 little scratches. I got discount on it and all etc etc. :(

UGH! Since the manager was there, i couldnt negotiate to get some stuff for free which he would have done since he knows me. Anyway, i know it was not his fault but goddamn, check if the damn LEs you get are preorders.

They had bonus points with me since the guy who gave me the copy opened all the Halo 3 CEs they had (like 12) so he could find one that didnt had any loose discs. Lost them now.

Oh, and requesting pics of the sealed LE and how the discs came in it... to see if i can arrange the stuff in the box :(

Diablos said:
Soooo how would Crysis run on a S939 4200+, 1GB of DDR and a 512MB 7950GT?

Should I just not even get the demo and forget about it? :lol

You can definitely run it, just not on high. Go ahead and try out the demo.

m0dus said:
While I agree that this game is best enjoyed with Kb/M, that kind of attitude is tiresome, even if you're kidding. This game is a big-enough e-penis-fest. no need for anyone to be an elitist prick on top of it ;-)

To answer his very reasonable question: I have a 360 pad attached to my computer for non-fps's, and yes, crysis not only recognizes it, but maps buttons to it (and even flashes a picture of it when it is connected)

I would NOT use it for this game, however. You will get pounded KPA style.
I'll never temper my contempt for members of the dual analogue persuasion, NEVER!!

As far as the original question, the game natively supports the 360 controller, there's a spread in the manual on the control layout, and if you're going to use it for anything it would be for the vehicles.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I played the game on medium the first couple of hours before I decided to run out and get a 8800 GT and the game still looks beautiful on medium. And you still have all the awesome gameplay and physics.

Thunderbear

By the way, my frame rate is always perfectly fine 30-40 and I play at 720p, but every once in a while (and not when saving) the game halts for a second and then continues. I would normally feel that this is a RAM issue, but I have 2gb (not a lot but should be fine?) and 512mb on the 8800GT.

Anyone got any ideas why that is?

Doc Evils

Thunderbear said:
By the way, my frame rate is always perfectly fine 30-40 and I play at 720p, but every once in a while (and not when saving) the game halts for a second and then continues. I would normally feel that this is a RAM issue, but I have 2gb (not a lot but should be fine?) and 512mb on the 8800GT.

Anyone got any ideas why that is?

I got 4 GB of ram, and I get this issue too, allthough my issue stems from the nvidia driver which stops responding and have to close crysis and reboot my system so the driver is stable again.

Rur0ni

I'm at the point you escape from the ship, now you are walking around in ice and your vision is all screwed, and the fps have taken a massive shit.

Not fond at all with the alien zero-g level. Glad to be done with it. I want to be in the jungle, crossing streams and engaging patrols, not fighting aliens in zero-g lol.

Doc Evils

Rur0ni said:
I'm at the point you escape from the ship, now you are walking around in ice and your vision is all screwed, and the fps have taken a massive shit.

Not fond at all with the alien zero-g level. Glad to be done with it. I want to be in the jungle, crossing streams and engaging patrols, not fighting aliens in zero-g lol.

Paradise Lost.

I just got there and left because I think I must of dropped to 10fps or something.:lol

I think the game needs serious optimising in some place.

Sanjay

the alien zero-g level is the equivalent to what the zen levels were for half life. still a awesome game, each level being its own with no repetition so far, just started paradise lost.

Doc Evils

Sanjay said:
the alien zero-g level is the equivalent to what the zen levels were for half life. still a awesome game, each level being its own with no repetition so far, just started paradise lost.

Crysis pretty much has nicely done zero gravity and organic alien enviroments so perfectly(compared to that shitball called Prey), with each segment wowing you, as you go along.

Biggest problem I find with other games is that it drags on for too long, and pretty drab effects.

Crysis did it nicely.

Forsete

Is there a config file somewhere for the graphics? I get worse performance in the full game compared to the demo with the same settings?

Is it possible to use the config file from the demo on the full version, if there is one?

The 169.09 beta drivers have bollocks'd up my 64-bit Vista install completely, Crysis was corrupting whenever I would use the scopes in DX10 and it eventually caused more and more frequent BSODs. Luckily it was a brand new install or I'd be very annoyed indeed!

Thunderbear

Doc Evils said:
I got 4 GB of ram, and I get this issue too, allthough my issue stems from the nvidia driver which stops responding and have to close crysis and reboot my system so the driver is stable again.

Hmmm.. I tried two sets of drivers. Wonder what it is that causes it then. It's definitely annoying.

Just wondering, has anyone been tinkering with the world/level editor? Is it even currently available?

Though I REALLY want to play through Crysis, the level editor is what I'm most looking forward to. And details or info regarding this will be appreciated.

Sullen

Assembly Required said:
Just wondering, has anyone been tinkering with the world/level editor? Is it even currently available?

Though I REALLY want to play through Crysis, the level editor is what I'm most looking forward to. And details or info regarding this will be appreciated.

The editor has been available for awhile, it was even included with the demo for the game. It is really fucking rad, and easy to use. Which is a change of pace compared to most editors.

Doc Evils said:
Crysis pretty much has nicely done zero gravity and organic alien enviroments so perfectly(compared to that shitball called Prey), with each segment wowing you, as you go along.

Biggest problem I find with other games is that it drags on for too long, and pretty drab effects.

Crysis did it nicely.
The alien level went from being completely disorientating to fun the minute I figured out the trick to the movement controls, Q&E lean commands and CTRL&Space are your friend here.

Basically I'm only getting 18fps on very high at 1680x1050, so I decided on sacrificing the resolution for the graphics (feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for doing this when I could do a or b or c, I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing anyway). In a autoexec.cfg file I went to change to a custom 16:10 res of 1280x800, but it only put it to 1280x960. Anyway around this? I've gotten 35-45 fps at 1152x864, so I'm guess I can get 30fps at 1280x800.

My specs

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz
Nvidia 8800 GTX 768mb
2gig Corsair XMS Pro

So I have a P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 gig RAM, 7800 GS.....

Crysis runs slow and choppy even on low settings :(

I hate when that happens, ah well, guess I'll wait 6 months and upgrade a bunch of stuff!

LCGeek

formerly sane
BigJonsson said:
So I have a P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 gig RAM, 7800 GS.....

Crysis runs slow and choppy even on low settings :(

I hate when that happens, ah well, guess I'll wait 6 months and upgrade a bunch of stuff!

Your P4 and Ram are an issue right from the get go your card is the least of your problems.

Thunderbear

People complaining about the alien sections, I thought they were awesome! The graphics are mind blowing, and the mood is fantastic. The gameplay definitely changes a bit to a slower pace, but I didn't mind. It picks up quickly enough. I should take some screenshots... There's so much beauty in this game, and it really gives it an epic feel.

Top Bottom