• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
EviLore said:
crysisstuck.jpg

This building. I've scoured the place, still can't find anything.

that's the embassy? - school is another large building i think - it has a staircase with like 3 flights of stairs... you go up those stairs and the hostage is on the top floor

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DopeyFish said:
that's the embassy - school is another large building i think

The top floor of the school, which you described, holds the first hostage. I'm on the second one.

DopeyFish

EviLore said:
The top floor of the school, which you described, holds the first hostage. I'm on the second one.

err... look for a trigger in the area i guess or reload and try again

TEH-CJ

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
:lol

Don't worry. The game sucks...It looks wide open but if you walk off the road you get stomped on by giant chickens. It's a really weird design choice and I'm not sure why they did it.

Giant chickens?, im intruged already :lol

ill give it a go one day :p

EviLore said:
Did you fight off the tanks?

*edit*

Wait, did you try to go and secure the 1st hostage, there's a cutscene and new intel on the 2nd one.

EviLore said:
Yup, I finished that part and got the completion message...

Same shit happened to me, dude. I killed the tanks and it said complete but for some reason the script never completed, so it didn't send me to the next location. I had to start the level over to get it to work. Might want to give that a shot.

EviLore said:
Yeah, it must be bugged then.

This is me after the tank part is completed.

Yeah, try restarting the mission from the very beginning. There should be an option to restart the level -- don't just load a save game. It worked for me, as I had the exact same bug.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I see what caused the bug. You're supposed to:

Go to the building from my pictures. "No one's there, check the school." Objective updates. To go school. Rescue hostage. Kill the tanks.

What I actually did the first time, was go to the school and rescue the hostage accidentally, when I was clearing the village of threats on my way to the objective. After that it triggered the tank objective, but then the progression halted. Going to that other building first appears to be necessary to complete the level. Keep that in mind if you're playing this mission...

EviLore said:
I see what caused the bug. You're supposed to:

Go to the building from my pictures. "No one's there, check the school." Objective updates. To go school. Rescue hostage. Kill the tanks.

What I actually did the first time, was go to the school and rescue the hostage accidentally, when I was clearing the village of threats on my way to the objective. After that it triggered the tank objective, but then the progression halted. Going to that other building first appears to be necessary to complete the level. Keep that in mind if you're playing this mission...
Good to know.

I was running amok throughout the village and killed everything, had so much fun I forgot about the objectives, once the whole place was clear I went to the first objective then to the 2nd, it all triggered properly.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Damn reading this thread makes me want to upgrade this pos. I told myself no new pc till something can play this gameat least 1680x1050 on this gdm fw900 with 60 plus. My wait upgrade wait for H2 sucked waiting till sometime next year can't come soon enough this and UT3 out this year fan damn tastic. Keep up the stuff knox.

madmook

Just got the game and played a tad bit past the first level (the level in the demo). Sadly, performance/optimization appears to be the same as the demo, meaning less than stellar (guess the demo wasn't an old build after all).

Some parts are good and smooth, giving me a mid-twenties to low-thirties framerate. In some areas it is inexplicably dropping down to the low teens. Here's to hoping that Crytek puts some optimization in the patches that are bound to come.

DopeyFish

all i gotta say is that about 3/4 of the game onwards is the best realtime graphics my eyes have witnessed. the things you see in the beginning just don't compare to what's coming. not even close.

DopeyFish said:
all i gotta say is that about 3/4 of the game onwards is the best realtime graphics my eyes have witnessed. the things you see in the beginning just don't compare to what's coming. not even close.
I'll be posting tons of screens later.

Tasty.

00009.jpg

madmook said:
Just got the game and played a tad bit past the first level (the level in the demo). Sadly, performance/optimization appears to be the same as the demo, meaning less than stellar (guess the demo wasn't an old build after all).

Some parts are good and smooth, giving me a mid-twenties to low-thirties framerate. In some areas it is inexplicably dropping down to the low teens. Here's to hoping that Crytek puts some optimization in the patches that are bound to come.

There's a patch tomorrow.

Tieno

One thing I don't understand is how the levels work in Crysis. Is it one big open world like Oblivion? How big is it? Or are they 'just' really big maps?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
bigmit3737 said:
You tried out the new beta drivers right? I heard they make a pretty significant difference.

I haven't actually, thanks! I didn't know they existed. I'll definitely give them a go, if they are available for 64bit XP.

DopeyFish

Tieno said:
One thing I don't understand is how the levels work in Crysis. Is it a big open world like Oblivion? How big is it? Or are they 'just' really big maps?

they're just really big maps

Tieno said:
One thing I don't understand is how the levels work in Crysis. Is it one big open world like Oblivion? How big is it? Or are they 'just' really big maps?
They are broken up into levels/maps, each one is fucking huge and extremely open in how you can choose to navigate through it.

Tieno

MickeyKnox said:
They are broken up into levels/maps, each one is fucking huge and extremely open in how you can choose to navigate through it.
How big is it? If it's possible someone should take some overhead screenshots of a SP map from really high in the sky.

Here is a quick an dirty attempt from the first level (the one featured in the demo) which is one of the smaller maps.

top.jpg

top2.jpg

top3.jpg

Middle arrow
top4.jpg

Left arrow
top5.jpg

Right arrow
top1.jpg

*EDIT*
Don't want to triple post so I'll add this here.

MadBoris from the inCrysis and Beta forums put together a ridiculously awesome tweak guide that I link to in the OP, has just updated it with AI tweaks configuration tweaks.

aasettingsfulldi2.gif

You can now make your own custom difficulty level.

Sauce.

I got the LE at Circuit City for 39.99 + 10 dollar gift card cause the cashier thought it was the regular and adjusted the price. :D However, I think I'm gonna wait till I get my new graphics card early next week before I try and run this bad boy.

Shawn128

Which nVidia drivers are everyone using? I'm using the latest official drivers, but I thought I heard of some beta ones that increase performance pretty well

Tieno

MickeyKnox said:
Here is a quick an dirty attempt from the first level (the one featured in the demo) which is one of the smaller maps.

Sauce.
Thanks man, that's still incredibly big. Appreciate the effort. Is it not possible to go into freecam?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What kind of framerates are you seeing with those settings, Mickey? That looks insane and makes me want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I'm glad that the game itself turned out to be excellent.

What kind of hardware would I need to have a great framerate throughout in very high mode at 1360x768 with AA and AF? Is there a way to lock the framerate at 30 fps (motion blur + v-sync at rock solid 30 looks great)?

dark10x said:
What kind of framerates are you seeing with those settings, Mickey? That looks insane and makes me want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

I'm glad that the game itself turned out to be excellent.
I run max detail @ 1280x720 and get an average of around 30fps.

I'm using the 169.04 drivers though since I wasn't getting any performance increase from the 09s and for whatever reason the hardware scaling is borked in those.

dark10x

MickeyKnox said:
I run max detail @ 1280x720 and get an average of around 30fps.

I'm using the 169.04 drivers though since I wasn't getting any performance increase from the 09s and for whatever reason the hardware scaling is borked in those.
Sounds good.

What about my edited in question? What kind of hardware would I need to drive the game at that resolution and can I lock the framerate?

Also, what about 5.1 audio hardware? Is there a sound card out there that would allow me to simply use a fiber optic cable of achieve 5.1 sound (for my receiver)? 5.1 PC audio has always given me trouble, but I haven't tested the full range of cards out there today.

kitch9

Banned
dark10x said:
Sounds good.

What about my edited in question? What kind of hardware would I need to drive the game at that resolution and can I lock the framerate?

Also, what about 5.1 audio hardware? Is there a sound card out there that would allow me to simply use a fiber optic cable of achieve 5.1 sound (for my receiver)? 5.1 PC audio has always given me trouble, but I haven't tested the full range of cards out there today.

Lock the framerate..........Fugedabowtit......

I'm running Q6600@3.0ghz, 4GBRam, 8800GT, X-fi with mostly V High settings, apart from Shaders, Shadows, Objects and Textures which are high. Res: 1360x768

R_motionblur 1 is used to force full screen motionblur on to smooth things out.

Getting a reasonable 30, which feels really smooth when it is actually 30, but dips to the low 20's is frequent, although it still feels playable.

Just got past the levels with the tanks, and my god it was the most incredible looking thing I've ever seen. The explosion and smoke effects are unbelievable.

dark10x

Lock the framerate..........Fugedabowtit......
I didn't mean prevent it from dropping. :p I'm simply looking for an option to prevent the framerate from going beyond 30 fps (ala Half-Life 2).

Let's take trip into the wonderful world of Crysis interiors, note these shots don't do the lighting and atmosphere (I'm talking literal atmosphere, no just mood) justice.

there are some serious tremors that occur while you're in here and it shkes dust off the walls, moves the lights, it's all just crazy.

cave.jpg

cave2.jpg

cave3.jpg

cave4.jpg

cave5.jpg

cave6.jpg

cave7.jpg

cave8.jpg

cave9.jpg

cave10.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For some reason my performance is actually worse than in the demo. Wonder what I can attribute it to. But I ran 1080p/high in the demo and held 30 most of the time, but I had to go to 720p/high/2xAA to get a consistent 30 minimum (30-50) in the full game (including the demo level). The full game was actually going into 10fps range during one of the cutscenes at 1080p, which put some big question marks over my head.

Have the settings for the full game been tweaked upward maybe?

Top Bottom