• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

Rlan

Could I ask you a favor for those with the Xbox version of Crysis? I was wondering if the game had Leaderboards at all. If there are, would you be able to tell me how many people are on them?

foxdvd

Rlan said:
Could I ask you a favor for those with the Xbox version of Crysis? I was wondering if the game had Leaderboards at all. If there are, would you be able to tell me how many people are on them?

no leaderboards...

reggie said:
Pretty sure this is a glitch, you're meant to select Delta in options on the main menu, start a new game, then select Delta again when it asks (effectively selecting it twice). I did this and it worked. Sucks if you have to finish it again.
WTF? That's bizarre.

scitek

ii Stryker said:
Finished it last night on hardcore. Overall there are aspects of both Crysis 1&2 that I liked and disliked.

I thought the story, presentation, and suit enhancements of C2 were a great step in the right direction. I really enjoyed the openess of C1 a bit more but C2's environments felt more purposeful. The AI was shit and this was a problem that both 1&2 shared. And finally, the ending of C1 was much better than 2's anti climatic fizzle ending.

Man, I think just the opposite. Despite how poorly told I felt the story was, I thought the final cinematic was great. The
"They call me Prophet"
bit was dumb, but it still somehow got me pumped for the third one. The ending of the first was like, "Uhhhhh...ok."

XNarte

I just downloaded this last night. Love it so far, and this is my first time playing through this, so I'm sure it will be a good ride. I played the intro on my nephews maxed out PC, and besides the obvious differences, they did a great job graphically on this port.

I had some issues with the stealth at first, but when I played a little more I felt I've grasped it and my only issues with the stealth are now more attributed to me trying to see through thick jungle when I should be scouting for a better vantage point to tag enemies instead.

The weapons feel so tight too, I love it.

Kimosabae

Banned
I just realized about the difficulty glitch myself last night. I started the game on hard and realized halfway through the damn game "Normal" was checked in the Options Menu. That's fucking annoying.

ii Stryker said:
Finished it last night on hardcore. Overall there are aspects of both Crysis 1&2 that I liked and disliked.

I thought the story, presentation, and suit enhancements of C2 were a great step in the right direction. I really enjoyed the openess of C1 a bit more but C2's environments felt more purposeful. The AI was shit and this was a problem that both 1&2 shared. And finally, the ending of C1 was much better than 2's anti climatic fizzle ending.

I just can't fathom someone thinking the AI is "shit" in this game. Especially on the higher-end difficulty levels. The AI may not be "challenging" overall, but I think it's highly respectable in its routines and at times, even remarkable.

Kimosabae

Banned
reggie said:
I think that main problem people have with the AI is their super vision, sometimes it's downright ridiculous how they see you.

True, but at the same time, I like to consider two things when I get frustrated with this:

1. Put yourself in the shoes of a collection of vigilant soldiers actively searching for anomalies. Your group is probably an awful lot of sentries if they can't spot an enemy within 200 meters utilizing available accouterments (binoculars, scopes etc.). People seem to make the mistake of thinking "I can't see them, so they shouldn't be able to see me".

2. People probably aren't utilizing the HUD properly. I didn't realize until last night how informative it truly was in regards to keeping me aware of how visible I am, how aware the enemy is of my presence and what kind of liberties I could take in my approach to the gameplay in that moment in time.

3. Binoculars

reggie said:
I think that main problem people have with the AI is their super vision, sometimes it's downright ridiculous how they see you.
The game warns you (via HUD) just about every time that you step out in the open without cloak. If you don't want to be seen, stick to the shrubs and use prone a lot.

scitek said:
Man, I think just the opposite. Despite how poorly told I felt the story was, I thought the final cinematic was great. The
"They call me Prophet"
bit was dumb, but it still somehow got me pumped for the third one. The ending of the first was like, "Uhhhhh...ok."
Yeah I loved the ending of C2. I thought it was really well done.

So does Crysis Warhead pick up where C1 left off? If not, do we ever
find out what happened with Prophet
?

MaddenNFL64

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I loved the ending of C2. I thought it was really well done.

So does Crysis Warhead pick up where C1 left off? If not, do we ever
find out what happened with Prophet
?

Warhead is like Liberty City Stories hah. You follow Psycho around while he did shit, instead of Nomad.

Kimosabae said:
I just can't fathom someone thinking the AI is "shit" in this game. Especially on the higher-end difficulty levels. The AI may not be "challenging" overall, but I think it's highly respectable in its routines and at times, even remarkable.

I hate spending 45 minutes creeping/fighting my way though 30 enemies, most of whom can see me through the environment from 2 miles away, killing 29 of them only to have the 30th one magically kill me. What you perceive as remarkable I call frustrating uneven shit. I suppose it wasn't an issue on PC because you had the option to quicksave, something the console versions lack.

scitek

Neuromancer said:
Ah, thanks. Hmm that's quite a plot hole then.

Yeah, C2's story doesn't connect to C1 at all save for the Ceph existing and Prophet returning to Hargreave or whatever. Nomad and the others not being even mentioned is just weird.

ii Stryker said:
I hate spending 45 minutes creeping/fighting my way though 30 enemies, most of whom can see me through the environment from 2 miles away, killing 29 of them only to have the 30th one magically kill me. What you perceive as remarkable I call frustrating uneven shit. I suppose it wasn't an issue on PC because you had the option to quicksave, something the console versions lack.
The lack of quick-save is indeed bullshit in the console version.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Warm Machine said:
This and every other game. Can't rail against one without railing against them all.

Yes you can, really, because in Halo Reach or whatever they are about 3 minutes apart and the game saves before every encounter.

In Crysis they are 20-30 minutes apart, and the nature of the game is just... one wrong move and you're done. Even on normal. And because the game encourages experimentation and different approaches, but it really doesn't let you because you have a 30 minute time penalty if you screw up.

edit: truthfully I don't even need quicksaves, more frequent checkpoints would be enough.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Warm Machine said:
This and every other game. Can't rail against one without railing against them all.
I actually tend to prefer checkpoints to quick saves myself.

However, it doesn't seem to work that well in Crysis due to the level size.

StuBurns

Banned
Is there still no technical analysis of the two versions yet?

I'm not sure I really want to spend so much on it when I have it on PC, but I'm interested just because it's one of the best shooters ever, and it'd be nice to have it on the TV nice and convenient.

Nizz

StuBurns said:

I'm not sure I really want to spend so much on it when I have it on PC, but I'm interested just because it's one of the best shooters ever, and it'd be nice to have it on the TV nice and convenient.
Nothing yet man. A little disappointing but they're (LoT and Digital Foundry) probably busy with other big releases.

Vol5

Finished it this afternoon on Delta. The couple of last bosses are fun but a little too cheap. Overall though I can't believe I haven't played this sooner. Surely Warhead can be ported across as I'm honestly left with that wanting more feeling.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Glad to see a lot of positive impressions in the thread.
Neuromancer said:
Where can I find the incendiary rounds for the FY71?
iirc the first place you can get them is on the harbor level where it points out weapon caches in two buildings?

Dacon

Banned
reggie said:
Pretty sure this is a glitch, you're meant to select Delta in options on the main menu, start a new game, then select Delta again when it asks (effectively selecting it twice). I did this and it worked. Sucks if you have to finish it again.
I did that.

KageMaru

StuBurns said:

DF is working on their analysis, should be the next face off up I think.

purple cobra said:
Nothing yet man. A little disappointing but they're (LoT and Digital Foundry) probably busy with other big releases.

LoT is a joke and should never be taken seriously.

Did you guys find the kill 400 enemies achievement easy to get? I'm on play through 2 and i still haven't gotten it. As well as the achievement for killing someone/something with every weapon.

The issue might be on my end though, my profile became corrupted in the second half of my first play through and I didn't get any achievements then. I wonder if I'm now locked out of earning them if I was already supposed to get them.

Nizz

I don't think I'm too far into the game
a little after Prophet was snatched up by an alien. I'm at a base/dome and it's nighttime.
Looking through the trophy list, I think I can manage to get only my second platinum trophy.

KageMaru said:
DF is working on their analysis, should be the next face off up I think.

LoT is a joke and should never be taken seriously.
They don't seem to get too deep into the technical side of things but they seem ok.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
purple cobra said:
They don't seem to get too deep into the technical side of things but they seem ok.
LoT is pretty terrible. They refuse to do basic things like gamma correction to get a "pure" comparison but it just ends up adding differences to the two versions for no reason and many people seem to prefer one or the other when in actuality they're identical. A lot of their captures are pretty dodgy in quality as well.

eshwaaz

Warm Machine said:
The big difference here is that Crysis PC was designed with manual saves in mind. Yanking out that functionality and changing absolutely nothing else was a bad, shortsighted decision and can really hurt the fun of the game if you end up getting screwed by the poorly placed, poorly implemented checkpoints. The decision makes no sense to me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Neuromancer said:
Did you guys find the kill 400 enemies achievement easy to get? I'm on play through 2 and i still haven't gotten it. As well as the achievement for killing someone/something with every weapon.

The issue might be on my end though, my profile became corrupted in the second half of my first play through and I didn't get any achievements then. I wonder if I'm now locked out of earning them if I was already supposed to get them.
I had like 400 enemies before I reached the Core level IIRC. The kill with every weapon unlocked the second I used the weapon from Prophet. You are definitely getting glitches.

Stallion Free said:
I had like 400 enemies before I reached the Core level IIRC. The kill with every weapon unlocked the second I used the weapon from Prophet. You are definitely getting glitches.
Thanks, I thought as much. Oh well, I'll pick them up on another play through. I'll have to start a brand new save I guess, not a big deal. Its a good thing I love this game.

Kimosabae

Banned
ii Stryker said:

"2 miles away" is hyperbolic to the extreme. At that distance, you won't even be able to spot enemies without binoculars. What you call "frustrating uneven shit" couldn't possibly be you being overconfident due to the circumstances of facing a single AI, now could it?

And wow @ people clamoring for a quick save system. Really shows how much gaming has changed and how pampered gamers are. I find the checkpoint system to be quite liberal and you're largely talking 2-3 minute encounters every 2-3 minutes. Sure, I've had my share of frustrating deaths, but reaching the next checkpoint is the challenge.

So, essentially you want to:

*Play Crysis on Delta*
*Reach an area that frustrates you*
*Snipe an enemy*
*Save*
*Snipe another enemy*
*Save*
*Wash, Rinse, Repeat*
*Have a platinum trophy to reward your false sense of accomplishment*

Amirite?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what a "Quick Save" option is. In that case, forgive me.

eshwaaz said:
The big difference here is that Crysis PC was designed with manual saves in mind. Yanking out that functionality and changing absolutely nothing else was a bad, shortsighted decision and can really hurt the fun of the game if you end up getting screwed by the poorly placed, poorly implemented checkpoints. The decision makes no sense to me.

I sympathise on this issue. I'm on my Delta playthrough and I get killed by some bad decision of mine or by unfortunate circumstance all the time. However, I can't actually remember the last console game I played with manual saves.

I also don't find the checkpoints too badly spread in most of the game. Sure there are sections such as the Village with the first hostage that is pretty chock full of enemies but really, anyone could A-B that once they know what to do.

eshwaaz

Kimosabae said:
And wow @ people clamoring for a quick save system. Really shows how much gaming has changed and how pampered gamers are. I find the checkpoint system to be quite liberal and you're largely talking 2-3 minute encounters every 2-3 minutes. Sure, I've had my share of frustrating deaths, but reaching the next checkpoint is the challenge.

*Play Crysis on Delta*
*Snipe an enemy*
*Save*
*Snipe another enemy*
*Save*
*Wash, Rinse, Repeat*

Amirite?
Cute, but no - you're not "rite". It's about a checkpoint triggering at an inopportune time since you have no idea where they're placed, putting you in a terrible situation. It's also about the game design encouraging experimentation and different approaches, which the checkpoint placement makes inconvenient at best.

Plus, as mentioned, the game originally had it. This version doesn't. Arbitrary removal of features is annoying.

Kimosabae

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Cute, but no - you're not "rite". It's about a checkpoint triggering at an inopportune time since you have no idea where they're placed, putting you in a terrible situation. It's also about the game design encouraging experimentation and different approaches, which the checkpoint placement makes inconvenient at best.

This is a legitimate complaint, but how often are you finding this happening to you, really? Enough for it to be a knock against the design decision as a whole? I doubt it?

How is experimentation subjugated by this design? I don't see it.

Plus, as mentioned, the game originally had it. This version doesn't. Arbitrary removal of features is annoying.

Yes, I'm sure the lead designer woke up one morning and just decided to have the feature replaced on a whim. He didn't even consider how satisfying it would be to piss owners of the PC version off! That's how arbitrary it was!

StuBurns

Banned
I think it looks nice enough, but the performance is really disappointing on PS3. Every bit as shit as Crysis 2 in that regard, and the auto-aim is insane, luckily that's optional which is nice to see.

I'm really not missing the quicksave system, and I was quite liberal in using it while playing the PC version. Finished Assault, Onslaught, Awakening, Core and Paradise Lost on Delta today. Didn't even die during Onslaught and Core, I was impressed with myself. :lol

Kimosabae said:
This is a legitimate complaint, but how often are you finding this happening to you, really? Enough for it to be a knock against the design decision as a whole? I doubt it?

I just posted an example of how its subjugated
I hate spending 45 minutes creeping/fighting my way though 30 enemies, most of whom can see me through the environment from 2 miles away, killing 29 of them only to have the 30th one magically kill me.

This shit happens ALL THE TIME! And as for the 2 miles away, sure it was a slight exaggeration. However, enemy line of sight is absurdly accurate and they can pin point your location from ridiculous distances.

eshwaaz

Kimosabae said:

Once I have cleared out an area, I'd love to go back and see how I could have approached the situation differently. However, if I've triggered a new checkpoint, I cannot. If the battle was especially hard-won, I don't want to sacrifice my progress for the sake of experimenting.

Kimosabae said:
Yes, I'm sure the lead designer woke up one morning and just decided to have the feature replaced on a whim. He didn't even consider how satisfying it would be to piss owners of the PC version off! That's how arbitrary it was!
I like how you went back and edited your post to make it even smarmier and more condescending than it was originally. That'll show me.

sp3000

Kimosabae said:
"2 miles away" is hyperbolic to the extreme. At that distance, you won't even be able to spot enemies without binoculars. What you call "frustrating uneven shit" couldn't possibly be you being overconfident due to the circumstances of facing a single AI, now could it?

*Play Crysis on Delta*
*Snipe an enemy*
*Save*
*Snipe another enemy*
*Save*
*Wash, Rinse, Repeat*

Amirite?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what a "Quick Save" option is. In that case, forgive me.

I played Crysis on PC, but in Crysis 2 the lack of a quicksave sucked. The checkpoints were placed so terribly that entire sections had to often be repeated. This is what developers do to artificially ramp up the difficulty when they realize their game is too easy.

What's even more ridiculous is that the leaked beta had quicksave but it was inexplicably removed for the final.

I can see that they dumbed down the suit modes also. Funny that the Nanosuit 2 is worse than the original. I found a mod that puts the original in Crysis 2 so luckily it wasn't an issue after that.

Kimosabae

Banned
ii Stryker said:
I just posted an example of how its subjugated

No you didn't. You just gave me an example of one of your character flaws - a propensity for overconfidence and frustration. One many of us gamers share, mind you - myself included. The difference between you and I is that I've been able to distance myself from those moments of frustration, manage my ego, and realize the game is offering me a challenge, which is something I value when playing videogames. And no, I don't consider the challenge "artificial", or "arbitrary" or whatever, just because it isn't convenient or doesn't mimic the original conception of the game.

This shit happens ALL THE TIME! And as for the 2 miles away, sure it was a slight exaggeration. However, enemy line of sight is absurdly accurate and they can pin point your location from ridiculous distances.

Dude... it's a videogame. How realistic do you want it to be? Do you want the AI system to institute cataract simulation routines for soldiers? How about distraction routines, where they send/receive intermittent text messages to/from friends/family/girlfriends? How about ennui simulations? They just get bored of the game itself and stop caring about you all together. You'll catch soldiers reading pornography in the middle of firefights.

It's a videogame. The best you can do is know the rules and play by them accordingly. I don't think there's much, if any rules, the AI plays by that can be considered unfair and the game itself gives you so many of your own tools it's more unfair for them.

eshwaaz said:
Once I have cleared out an area, I'd love to go back and see how I could have approached the situation differently. However, if I've triggered a new checkpoint, I cannot. If the battle was especially hard-won, I don't want to sacrifice my progress for the sake of experimenting.

Fair enough. That's a justifiable disagreement with the change.

I like how you went back and edited your post to make it even smarmier and more condescending than it was originally. That'll show me.

*trollface.gif*

Nizz

StuBurns said:
I think it looks nice enough, but the performance is really disappointing on PS3. Every bit as shit as Crysis 2 in that regard, and the auto-aim is insane, luckily that's optional which is nice to see.
Agree with both things. Seems like all around performance is similar to Crysis 2 on PS3. The aim assist is pretty strong too. I got to an enemy base and there was one guy in a machine gun nest I snuck up to. I went to shoot him and started aiming but the character started glitching a bit and kept grabbing the machine gun and letting go, grabbing and letting go.

This made trying to aim at him a struggle since the game was trying to aim for me, lol

Top Bottom