• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

Decarb said:
Why does it ask me to pay in real money? I have enough points in my account to pay for it.

When you click on "Download to 360", you'll be taken to a page where you have the option to either pay with your CC (or PayPal), or use Microsoft Points.

Apocryphon

Just started playing. Impressed that the options have remained the same - changable crosshairs, female suit voice etc. Can't remember if blood was set to off by default in the PC version, but it is here.

Base settings look like the equivalent of medium on PC. Light shafts and god rays are present though. Some nice movement blur and dof too. Textures aren't amazing, but it definitely looks good. Plenty of foliage... and it now bends as you pass through it. There's some noticeable pop-in and the foliage can look a little harsh without AA (or with whatever solution they used) but so far I think it's an impressive achievement, especially given what kind of rig it takes to run the PC version at a steady framerate. The lighting in the opeing areas is really mellow, but perhaps a little colder than the PC version. Explosions look good but sound weak and shooting the fuel can attached to the back of the jeep/humvee's results in it exploding much faster than in the original version.

Sprint is nowhere near as fast as the PC version and you can't activate strength mode. You can strength jump by holding the jump button and strength melee by holding the melee button. I'm assuming this means no strength grenade throwing...

There are new sound effects for suit functions (they're like Crysis 2) and there are new weapon sound effects. In particular, the FY71 sounds completely different and the silenced weapons sound different.

R3TRODYCE

Been playing for a while now and is it dark for anyone else? I had to change the brightness settings from 50 to 70 but now it looks AMAZING...Hard as balls though.

Woorloog

Banned
Majik said:
and you can't activate strength mode. You can strength jump by holding the jump button and strength melee by holding the melee button. I'm assuming this means no strength grenade throwing...
If it's like Crysis 2, hold Melee while aiming down sights, that should reduce recoil (and use energy of course). Whether this works for 'nades... *shrug*

foxdvd

R dott B said:
Been playing for a while now and is it dark for anyone else? I had to change the brightness settings from 50 to 70 but now it looks AMAZING...Hard as balls though.

what difficulty you playing on?

Woorloog said:
If it's like Crysis 2, hold Melee while aiming down sights, that should reduce recoil (and use energy of course). Whether this works for 'nades... *shrug*
I thought right stick was melee, left stick was to 'harden' for better aim. I could be wrong.

RyudBoy

Some impressions so far:

Played about an hour or so. I spent most of the time just screwing around and exploring the area.

What I noticed about the graphics is that the aliasing is really bad. Everything looks really jaggy compared to Crysis 2 on 360. On the bright side it looks like they took out temporal AA which would explain the rough look but now it doesn't have that ugly shadow effect when things move too quickly. Animations of destructible objects and trees took a big hit. They don't look as good as they do compared to the PC version as expected, but it's noticeable.

Frame rate is very smooth only noticing a small hit during some action when I was getting shot at from all directions while taking cover by one of the shacks. A part of the roof fell near me and that's when the game started to chop up a bit. It wasn't that bad though and was brief. I'm impressed by the amount of foliage and the LOD is good for the most part. I notice when you get deeper into the jungle that things begin to pop in more. Compared to the PC demo I played this runs a lot better than it did on my 3yr old PC which kept me from buying the game. So far I'm enjoying it and I really like the way they handled the controls. Anyone concerned over performance issues don't need to worry. Of course this is all based on the early part of the game and things could get worse.

More impressions later, back to playing.

Woorloog

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I thought right stick was melee, left stick was to 'harden' for better aim. I could be wrong.
I have no idea how it worked... It's been a while since i last played Crysis 2 and i sold it a few weeks back. You might be right, at least snipers can be steadied with left stick. But is that power mode or holding breath? Holding melee activated super melee so i assume it would also keep on the power mode to reduce recoil.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
R dott B said:
LOL Normal, I'm great at FPS's but I don't know where the enemies are shooting me from half of the time on this.

Don't just run in gun-hoe, chillout out on the boarders of encampments and tag everyone with your binoculars then you can track them on your radar, if this is you first go at a Crysis game then make good use of the invisibility mode, I hardly ever use armour mode.

Woorloog said:
I have no idea how it worked... It's been a while since i last played Crysis 2 and i sold it a few weeks back. You might be right, at least snipers can be steadied with left stick. But is that power mode or holding breath? Holding melee activated super melee so i assume it would also keep on the power mode to reduce recoil.
I don't know

Now I'm confused

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Found a decent video here (gamma is messed up, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwHQ1-jArg

Also, the beginning (better quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYz02oG570

That first video showcases one of the most demanding areas in the entire game yet it seems to hold a near perfect 30 fps throughout. Very impressive, I must say. It certainly looks a fair bit beyond "medium" settings, but I don't think we can directly draw parallels between the PC options and this as they've likely customized individual settings across the board rather than going entirely "medium" or "high".

I'm really stunned that they were able to keep the entire game in tact. In fact, I didn't even believe this was possible until recently. In 2007, nobody could have guessed this would have happened.

Also, here's a comparison (PC is using DX10 Very High)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRAwFTvh54

Red

R dott B said:
LOL Normal, I'm great at FPS's but I don't know where the enemies are shooting me from half of the time on this.
Scout before rushing into fights -- the binocs are a must for many encounters (though this applies more to higher difficulties).

As a tip, when you see a line of soldiers, take them out one by one starting from the guy in the rear. With a silencer attached, you can often hit all of them before they realize they're being attacked.

As long as you get headshots, anyway.

dark10x said:
Found a decent video here (gamma is messed up, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwHQ1-jArg

Also, the beginning (better quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYz02oG570

That first video showcases one of the most demanding areas in the entire game yet it seems to hold a near perfect 30 fps throughout. Very impressive, I must say. It certainly looks a fair bit beyond "medium" settings, but I don't think we can directly draw parallels between the PC options and this as they've likely customized individual settings across the board rather than going entirely "medium" or "high".

I'm really stunned that they were able to keep the entire game in tact. In fact, I didn't even believe this was possible until recently. In 2007, nobody could have guessed this would have happened.
In 2007, it couldn't have happened. Crysis as it is on PCs still can't exist on consoles. Cryengine 3 is what makes this possible.

the licensee

Neo Member
R dott B said:

Another tip: You'll lose your cloak immediately when firing so quickly change to armor mode, get off a few shots, then back to cloak to relocate. I spent most of the game doing this.

Also: head shots.

Curufinwe

dark10x said:
That first video showcases one of the most demanding areas in the entire game yet it seems to hold a near perfect 30 fps throughout. Very impressive, I must say.

That frame rate sounds much better than Crysis 2 on consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In 2007, it couldn't have happened. Crysis as it is on PCs still can't exist on consoles. Cryengine 3 is what makes this possible.
Of course they could not have simply ported the original CryEngine 2 game to consoles, but Cry Engine 3 simply represents what they've created since. It doesn't matter if the engine is different when the results are so good.

This footage here was so impressive that I first thought it WAS PC footage until the achievement popped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRAwFTvh54&feature=player_detailpage#t=230s

That frame rate sounds much better than Crysis 2 on consoles.
It actually does seem to run much faster than Crysis 2, oddly enough.

Why did they take out the speed mode? Hardware limitation?
It's a controller limitation, I'd imagine. More accurately, they changed the way the suit works altogether to deliver something closer to Crysis 2 (which I actually support as I preferred the streamlined suit of that game to the original).

sn00zer

So...wow...yeah its Crysis...and its on a console....and before nitpickers and screen grabbers start ripping it a new one I gotta say that it is damn impressive

Tunavi

Banned
Never played Crysis. Hows the gameplay? It's a sandbox shooter, so does that mean its more open world than linear? If so, I'd like to pick this up.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Tunavi said:
Never played Crysis. Hows the gameplay? It's a sandbox shooter, so does that mean its more open world than linear? If so, I'd like to pick this up.

It's more like Bioshock than Far Cry 2 or something.

iam220

JJD said:
PC Master Race players, is the loss of Ascension a big deal? Never played Crysis!

No, but the loss of (proper) speed mode kinda is. Well for me anyways, many people will claim it's their least used suit power but I had a lot of fun with it.

Crunched said:
Impressions on the last page made it seem like speed mode was still in.

Its not nearly the same from what I'm seeing in the videos.

It's a controller limitation, I'd imagine. More accurately, they changed the way the suit works altogether to deliver something closer to Crysis 2 (which I actually support as I preferred the streamlined suit of that game to the original).

You sure? Might it have something to do with texture streaming? Like the hardware can't keep up the streaming if the player is moving too fast.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder how long till the game is available from Dashboard...
Still concerned about the frame rate though, anyone played half the game yet?

jackdoe

iam220 said:
No, but the loss of (proper) speed mode kinda is. Well for me anyways, many people will claim it's their least used suit power but I had a lot of fun with it.
I don't know. I actually liked Ascension (but when was it confirmed to be taken out?). Also, yeah, proper speed mode is damn useful for traversing large amounts of nothing quickly.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
iam220 said:

What's wrong with the speed mode in the console version?, I think it's still a good speed and lets you cover a lot of ground, I found that 'Maximum speed' on the PC version of Crysis was a little too fast and it run out way too quickly imo, it still quite fast in the console version.

Red

JJD said:
PC Master Race players, is the loss of Ascension a big deal? Never played Crysis!
Not a game breaker, but it'd be nice to have. Was one of the game's best-looking levels.

The strongest Crysis levels are all still present.

CozMick

Banned
No comparisons, No pixel counts, No x200% texture zoom-ins?

And people call this a PC port? bah! I am disappointed master race :(

Top Bottom