• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Castles - AMNESTY (I) - August 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could easily be the album cover lol, she looks awesome.

yk7ChYWl.jpg

haikira

I like 'Kept' but most of the album is a bit messy and distorted for my taste.

After I read your post, I thought to myself that I didn't remember there being a track named 'Kept. After checking the album on Spotify, and the track list on the OP, I noticed it's missing.

I'm guessing it's exclusive to purchasing the album?

untitled-1oxasf.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4f6dqYxaCE

Femen in reverse contains the lyrics to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. Just thought this was pretty interesting.

Kept also sample's Beach House, Other People from Bloom.

After I read your post, I thought to myself that I didn't remember there being a track named 'Kept. After checking the album of Spotify, and the track list on the OP, I noticed it's missing.

I'm guessing it's exclusive to purchasing the album?

untitled-1oxasf.jpg

It's exclusive to the physical versions. Kept is also an older song that Ethan has been holding onto, but it's still great.

120v

can't believe it's been 4 years since a CC album. furthermore i can't believe the "band" has been around over a decade now... i remember when they were just some random myspace band i stumbled onto

anyway... totally forgot about this. can't wait to dig in

I like 'Kept' but most of the album is a bit messy and distorted for my taste.

Yeah I'm with you there man. I prefer their more videogame inspired synth driven melodic stuff like most of II so this album isn't really clicking with me. It's a harsher, harder sound that relies on nose and distortion and that isn't really gelling with me at the moment. The only track that's stuck on repeat since my first listen is Kept which is an older song based on their older style.

Not loving this new direction. It's a good album but ultimately not for me.

Yeah I'm with you there man. I prefer their more videogame inspired synth driven melodic stuff like most of II so this album isn't really clicking with me. It's a harsher, harder sound that relies on nose and distortion and that isn't really gelling with me at the moment. The only track that's stuck on repeat since my first listen is Kept which is an older song based on their older style.

Not loving this new direction. It's a good album but ultimately not for me.

Crystal Castles hasn't made chip-tune inspired music since I, which wasn't even a full album. It was a compilation of songs from various EPs. Since II, they've gone almost full blown Witch House and Electroclash in terms of their style. I think the thing that most people are in agreement this album, is that it's not a new direction, just a refinement of their sound from II and beyond. It is by far the best sounding CC album, Ethan's production is top notch.

I'm personally glad the chip-tune stuff is gone, because it was weak sounding.

Jzero

Yeah their sound reaaally stepped up after the first album. It's the only one I don't return to
Different strokes for different folks. I like chiptunes/bitpop and witchhouse so all their albums give me eargasms

Yasss this is great, too bad it's not on Spotify.

Kept also sample's Beach House, Other People from Bloom.

Some Beach House in my Crystal Castles? Am I dreaming?

Proc

Thanks for turning me onto their new stuff!

Grabbed a couple tickets to the Toronto show.

I saw them in 2012 and its up there for one of the best shows I've been too.

PillarEN

The album's pretty good. Some neat tunes that I could imagine working beautifully live.

I think what detracts from this album is that it sounds a bit like a retread of III. Some tracks seem a little lacking in creativity.
I'm kind of torn on the last track of the record. First off, I think it's beautiful. At the same time it goes with the lullaby closing idea which we've had on two albums already. But when that kick drum comes in it changes the song quite a bit from Tell Me What to Swallow and Child I Will Hurt You. That little faint electric guitar (or similar sounding effect) playing a few high pitched notes to decorate the track before the drum kick part is nice too.

Overall it is solid. Ethan is still the man which is good to see and yet at some points it seems he isn't pushed enough by his new second half. Crystal Castles remains in good hands. Hope to catch them live if they come to town (which they currently are not).

I think it's awesome that Ethan continued the band and carried on making music. Most thought when Alice left that'd be the end of the band. Glad CC is still rocking.

decaf

yGy6H4y.jpg

Just got back from seeing Crystal Castles at Rough Trade East in Brick Lane. The crowd were not quite as active as most CC gigs I've been to, but Edith put on a great show. She jumped down into the crowd, hung from the scaffolding above the stage, and really got into it on stage. Top notch performances on older songs too, especially Baptism. Anyone seeing them on tour is in for a treat.

I'm impressed. She might even be better than Alice was. Hung around to try and meet them after, and managed to get a photo in and be Edith's first signature request for the new album!

Edit: here's my video of them performing Fleece.

8OUHZeP.jpg

rGCMEwM.jpg

Wow that's awesome man! Super cool photos. I'd love to see them live too and might do so after seeing you had such an amazing time.

Sick. Glad they still do the "cover some of our face" pose. One of the coolest marketing things in music ever.

Yeah Digitalism do it too. It's really cool. Edith looks very pretty in the photographs whilst Ethan looks like a certified badass. Looks like it was an awesome gig.

After hearing the new album I'm pretty pumped for their tour. Hoping I can meet them as well but I'm not holding out much hope, their original venue was a tiny place I love and it got upgraded to one of the midsized act venues here that's probably triple the capacity of their initial choice so good for them, kinda sucky for being up close and personal though.

Anyway, new album bangs which is all I could really ask for. Edith is great, even if she seems a little purposely smothered in reverb. She shines the most on the original two demos for this, which btw the new Deicide is lovely.

Only kinda eh on the stretch of 3 songs after Char. Feel like they are all missing something to push them over the edge into being good, how I felt about some tracks on III like Mercenary.

So their show is still really good, got their kinda late though and missed the first six songs, including Char which I was really looking forward to. :(

But I met em! Kinda surprised how easy it was, waited by their tour bus with my friend for like an hour, then they let people into the back of the venue to meet them two at a time.

They are super chill and down to earth. Honestly thought they weren't really into that kind of stuff on a large scale but they met everyone and seemed to be in no rush to keep things moving. Only about 20 of us waited it out though. Wear Metallica if you go or a vintage tee of some sort cuz Edith and Ethan where feeling that shit on us hard lol.

Jzero

So their show is still really good, got their kinda late though and missed the first six songs, including Char which I was really looking forward to. :(

Yep, i'm going to see them tonight for the second time this year. I really hope they play char at this show. I must be the only person that doesn't care about meeting band members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom