• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Currently playing Uncharted 4 on ps5 in absolute AWE of how good this still looks better than most new games

A picture is worth a thousand words

ASxnc6l.jpeg
bfNA0iV.jpeg
WtrVlZG.jpeg
xoFRXL1.jpeg
uWWl2So.jpeg

SkylineRKR

Generally the PS4 remasters are the most pleasing, if done well. I was also kind of floored by Days Gone on PS5, and TLOU2 and GoT. They were pushing the PS4, and the PS5 gave them the missing res and fps boost.

If you take some next-gen only UE game, it will suffer from artifacts, framedrops and other shit for the sake of detail.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't care about the story or characters, but the game was awesome. The rope was sick, and there's multiple insane car chases; especially that one near the end driving through walls and shit.
I forced myself to finish it after 6 months of back and fourth, so yeah, awesome :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I hope we get tlou3 instead of u5, if i have to play another shitty paced game with a shit story, at least give me the one with violence and gore.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I forced myself to finish it after 6 months of back and fourth, so yeah, awesome :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I hope we get tlou3 instead of u5, if i have to play another shitty paced game, at least give me the one with violence and gore.
I don't really need more Uncharted, but I enjoyed 4. It's honestly the only one I managed to finish. Even played some of the multiplayer. The rope was just such a huge addition for mobility, and it's very "video gamey."

Yeah, UC4 is reaaly impressive and a great testament of a well crafted gameplay. It´s really fun. In the time I was sick of this action-movies kind of games and I didn´t like it very much on release date but it standed the test of time.

I really would love that ND upgraded the multiplayer for the PS5 version though: I have both PS4 and PS5 versions installed (that takes 80gb each), just to play the online multiplayer component; they could add a couple more stages and make a mode more in the veins of the UC2 multiplayer that was awesome and groundbreaking (at least for me).

I hope we get tlou3 instead of u5, if i have to play another shitty paced game with a shit story, at least give me the one with violence and gore.
The lack of blood and gore was definitely my biggest complaint but other than that this is a flawless masterpiece of gaming

GymWolf

Gold Member
The lack of blood and gore was definitely my biggest complaint but other than that this is a flawless masterpiece of gaming
I mean i get it, unchy is more family friendly so it is expected.

For the second part, let's just agree to disagree.

Flintty

I never played Uncharted but I kinda wanna try this. Silly question with a potentially obvious answer, do I need to play the first three games?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Best mechanics in the series. Worst pace.
Yep, unchy 3 to unchy 4 is a more noticeable jump than from gears 1 to gears 5 in terms of feeling.

Mostly because the gunplay in the first 3 unchy was kinda suck-y and in 4 is actually good, i mean the few times that you get to actually shot enemies in a 10 to 15 hours action game.

Last edited:
It looks as good as video games need to look, honestly. We've seen the results of devs trying to push past this -- decade-long dev times, shallow broken gameplay, enormous budgets, studios closing. The fact it could release today eight years later for the first time and still be considered a very good looking game is a testament to that.

Last edited:
I never played Uncharted but I kinda wanna try this. Silly question with a potentially obvious answer, do I need to play the first three games?

Depends on how much time you have for gaming..child me would say hell yes play all 4 but adult me says watch a recap on the first 2 and just play 3 and 4 or even watch first 3 and just play 4

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gotta admit I enjoyed this game quite a bit, even if the first hours were more a movie than a game.

I'd even argue that the pacing is better than Uncharted 3, that one almost put me to sleep

Uncharted 2 is still the best one imo.

King Dazzar

Nah, you'll be fine.
Oh yes looks amazing in performance mode and buttery smooth, also has a 120fps mode but I can't take the 1080p on that lol. And some pretty decent haptics on the dualsense to boot.
You can use the VRR unlocked mode with fidelity. Hopefully the Pro will boost the fps, which will be great.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It looks as good as video games need to look, honestly. We've seen the results of devs trying to push past this -- decade-long dev times, shallow broken gameplay, enormous budgets, studios closing. The fact it could release today eight years later for the first time and still be considered a very good looking game is a testament to that.
The funny thing is that some games look worse than Uncharted 4 (and other great looking PS4 titles) and run worse.

Saber

Its one of highest visual presentations, totally agree. But the game was a boring slog. Toook ages to me to finish that game, was basically forcing myself to. Extremelly tedious.
Uncharted 1 on the other hand was pretty damn fun, even if some mechanics didn't work that well.

Fahdis

Uncharted 5 in the Himalayas, Hindu Kush and Karakoram mountains please.

Uncharted 1 - Concept and Character Building
Uncharted 2 - World Building and Verticality
Uncharted 3 - Gameplay and Sense of Adventure with Set Pieces
Uncharted 4 - Masterful Narrative, Gameplay and Sense of Wonder and Suspense with Complexity of Characters

Some of you, if you don't like slow paced narrative driven games, this isn't for you.

Rockman33

Playing it when it first came out on ps4 I was floored. Stopped multiple times to just look at the vistas.

I replayed it last year on PS5 and thought it looked really great. Not as blown away as I was when it originally came out but still really good.

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
The only unchy games i like are 1 and 2, bailed out from 3 and barely finished 4.
Yeah I actually consider uncharted 2 one of the best games ever made. Actually, there was a point where the gaming community universally agreed.

Unfortunately 3 and 4 were paced poorly and directed differently, and that tainted uncharted as a series and now TLOU took over and young'ns forget uncharted 2 was a specifically special game that should always stay in the top games of all time list, and a piece of gaming history.

I actually feel uncharted 2 was indeed...their strongest game. Over TLOU. Sadly that's not the narrative now.

Like I hated uncharted 3 and 4, yet felt UC2 was one of the finest games ever made. How lol

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Yes, it's still quite impressive. The art and baked lighting are top notch. Same for animations without getting the RDR2 effect where characters need 5 seconds to start moving.
Not just the baked.

The game in general looks much better in motion than it does in pictures:

Especially because what truly makes it, still after almost a decade, so impressive is the unmatched fluidity/motion blending (which is crucially extremely responsive here, unlike a game with comparable motion blending and maybe even better animations such as RDR2).

H9arRiP.gif

Yeah, UC4 is reaaly impressive and a great testament of a well crafted gameplay. It´s really fun. In the time I was sick of this action-movies kind of games and I didn´t like it very much on release date but it standed the test of time.

I really would love that ND upgraded the multiplayer for the PS5 version though: I have both PS4 and PS5 versions installed (that takes 80gb each), just to play the online multiplayer component; they could add a couple more stages and make a mode more in the veins of the UC2 multiplayer that was awesome and groundbreaking (at least for me).
I agree. It has been my least favorite at release, and maybe still is.. but it has grown immensely on me over the years. Especially since I've found out we should never take titles like these for granted.
It's a colossal achievement, and this is mindblowing to me given its troubled development.

Its looks great indeed, but sadly these games are super garbage in terms of gameplay. The climbing is soooo boring X X X X X... and the firefights are all the same just in a different setting.
lol

This and Lost Legacy, pad in hand, are still almost a decade later by far my favorite controlling/mechanics third person games.
Not going to say they ruined the vast majority of third person games released after, but almost.

jeFcjhf.gif

The responsiveness/fluidity/player driven animations Bruce Straley achieved are something I've yet to encounter in another game. Even Part II doesn't feel as perfect as U4/LL did.

As for the climbing, I agree I would rather shoot shit all the time ala Drake's Fortune (my favorite Uncharted), but even the climbing mechanics themselves are still unparalleled. No other game I've played offered the amount of control you have over your hands movement, likely because it was supposed to be an even bigger deal originally:

Thankfully they scrapped all that, as there's more than enough of it already.

the firefights are all the same just in a different setting.
Even the same firefight is never going to be same in these games.

Last edited:
Yeah I actually consider uncharted 2 one of the best games ever made. Actually, there was a point where the gaming community universally agreed.

Unfortunately 3 and 4 were paced poorly and directed differently, and that tainted uncharted as a series and now TLOU took over and young'ns forget uncharted 2 was a specifically special game that should always stay in the top games of all time list, and a piece of gaming history.

I actually feel uncharted 2 was indeed...their strongest game. Over TLOU. Sadly that's not the narrative now.

Like I hated uncharted 3 and 4, yet felt UC2 was one of the finest games ever made. How lol

Uncharted 3 most definitely had some parts that dragged 😅 but 4 is just gaming perfection like shown above it just moves better than any other game

mitch1971

Gold Member
Don't even think I could be bothered to play it again. The first wide linear section of land was painfull the second time around. Really slowed the pace down.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I vastly prefer the gameplay and themes of tlou over sony indiana jones so i'm always gonna chose tlou over unchy.
But u1 and 2 were good fun, especially 2.

Fahdis

Not just the baked.

The game in general looks much better in motion than it does in pictures:

Especially because what truly makes it, still after almost a decade, so impressive is the unmatched fluidity/motion blending (which is crucially extremely responsive here, unlike a game with comparable motion blending and maybe even better animations such as RDR2).

H9arRiP.gif

I agree. It has been my least favorite at release, and maybe still is.. but it has grown immensely on me over the years. Especially since I've found out we should never take titles like these for granted.
It's a colossal achievement, and this is mindblowing to me given its troubled development.

lol

This and Lost Legacy, pad in hand, are still almost a decade later by far my favorite controlling/mechanics third person games.
Not going to say they ruined the vast majority of third person games released after, but almost.

jeFcjhf.gif

The responsiveness/fluidity/player driven animations Bruce Straley achieved are something I've yet to encounter in another game. Even Part II doesn't feel as perfect as U4/LL did.

As for the climbing, I agree I would rather shoot shit all the time ala Drake's Fortune (my favorite Uncharted), but even the climbing mechanics themselves are still unparalleled. No other game I've played offered the amount of control you have over your hands movement, likely because it was supposed to be an even bigger deal originally:

Thankfully they scrapped all that, as there's more than enough of it already.

Even the same firefight is never going to be same in these games.

Followed. You like the same shit as me.

Top Bottom