• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Currently playing Uncharted 4 on ps5 in absolute AWE of how good this still looks better than most new games

eNT1TY

I must have played a different Uncharted 4 than ya'll. While yes very pretty it was so boring i couldnt be bothered to continue past the 4 or 5 hour mark, maybe the shit i missed was the good part; i dont know.

Vick

Gold Member
but 4 is just gaming perfection like shown above it just moves better than any other game
Which is why I wish it had a different pacing.
Not only a bit more encounters scattered across, but way more waves of enemies in them.

I don't care if it's "gamey", two/three waves are not enough when you're giving me these godlike controls. My first playthrough at the end of every single firefight I was "Fuck, is this over already?!"

Which is also why, realizing another game with a catholic caucasian married action hero genociding foreign pirates in a lighthearted old-school adventure is unlikely to ever happen again due to evil winning in our world, if they simply released a Drake's Fortune Remake with the only addition of Uncharted 4 mechanics, simply ported in a raw and straightforward way, I'm not kidding when I say I would be playing that game everyday for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Which is why I wish it had a different pacing.
Not only a bit more encounters scattered across, but way more waves of enemies in them.

I don't care if it's "gamey", two/three waves are not enough when you're giving me these godlike controls. My first playtrough at the end of every single firefight I was "Fuck, is this over already?!"

Which is also why, realizing another game with a catholic caucasian married action hero genociding foreign pirates is unlikely to ever happen again due to evil winning in our world, if they simply released a Drake's Fortune Remake with the only addition of Uncharted 4 mechanics, simply ported and a raw and straightforward way, I'm not kidding when I say I would be playing that game everyday for the rest of my life.

Maybe they could if he was married to a man 🥸

great graphics, shame the game was one the most disjointed games i ever played, pacing was all over place, it did not know if it wanted to be a shorter or puzzle exploration game, best moments were the set pieces, it had some of the best gameplay ever when it found the right balance between stealth, combat and shooting.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 is such a good experience you have to get the controller

images

There’s not many games like uncharted 4, the pirates, Madagascar etc
I have this controller and my x button never worked properly. It was always sticking when I pressed it.

Rival

Gold Member
I must have played a different Uncharted 4 than ya'll. While yes very pretty it was so boring i couldnt be bothered to continue past the 4 or 5 hour mark, maybe the shit i missed was the good part; i dont know.
I am with you. By far my least favorite Uncharted. I did finish it but I couldn’t wait for it to end. But yes for its time it was quite pretty.

Hunnybun

Yeah I replayed it fairly recently, still looks great, mostly.

The roughest part is the jungle area and new Devon - basically from when Elena joins in to the descent into the tunnels. The shadows and foliage always looked a bit crap and time hasn't done them any favours.

There are other parts though that it's hard to imagine will ever age. The caves in Scotland, and the last chapter or two. Basically looks like CG.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game still looks good like most last gen games. especially running on ps5 and high end pcs. but you must not be playing a lot of new games if you think this game looks better than them. it doesnt even look better than tlou2, ghost of tsushima and horizon fw.

TIGERCOOL

Had a great time replaying UC4 a couple years back with the slow-mo aiming cheat enabled. Made the shooting part of the combat way more enjoyable, which has always been a bit sloppy and low impact for my liking which made those long encounters a chore. It's obviously a gorgeous game.

Did the same on my tlou2 replay

Last edited:

Fbh

I honestly think last gen we reached the point were game graphics got "good enough".
It's not that they couldn't keep improving, which they have, but we reached the point where I feel like pushing visuals even further isn't really enhancing the experience in a meaningful way and is, in fact, often detracting from it by sacrificing performance and/or image quality in the process.

I'd much rather get a new game with the visuals of Uncharted 4, Arkham Knight, Forbidden West, Gow Ragnarok, Battlefront 2, etc running at 60fps and real 1440p over games with better graphics running at 30fps or some hilariously bad 720p 60ish fps with FSR "performance mode" like we are seeing more and more.

buenoblue

Yep, unchy 3 to unchy 4 is a more noticeable jump than from gears 1 to gears 5 in terms of feeling.

Mostly because the gunplay in the first 3 unchy was kinda suck-y and in 4 is actually good, i mean the few times that you get to actually shot enemies in a 10 to 15 hours action game.
Stop saying "unchy" it makes me feel weird 😂

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Same here. Beautiful game, but only got a few hours in before I moved on. Maybe it's gets better, but I felt like I was more watching a B movie than playing a game.

Chad Warden

Banned
Agree with many. Gorgeous looking game but one of the most boring pieces of shit in gaming. 80% of the same climbing.

Has awesome combat mechanics you barely get to use.
Go play chained together, more fun.

nkarafo

I said many times how this current generation barely made a dent in graphics tech. Some of the best looking games are still from last gen.

I said many times how this current generation barely made a dent in graphics tech. Some of the best looking games are still from last gen.

Aside from crossgen finally coming to an end a big problem is lack of actual games period from the heavy hitters..still waiting for naughty dog to melt the world's eyes with a ps5 game

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Most games made on the cusp of the Woke era still look amazing today, sadly most of the Devs responsible have either left or got pushed out and the devs that remained can only replicate what the great Devs taught them or hand in subpar efforts in triple the development time because they didn't have the talent to push it forward and are relying on the tech to do the heavy lifting.
This isn't exclusive to the gaming industry, the movie industry is the same with CGI.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 is a weird game, because it has amazing graphics and much more refined gameplay and combat than the old games, but the story is just this joyless dirge and it goes on way too long. If someone likes it, I can see why they would REALLY like it, as a game, it is better than the first 3. But the total package, I wouldn't play through it again.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
yah, I am glad they they went ahead to implement current gen techs in the PC version which makes the game looks even better

yah, I am glad they they went ahead to implement current gen techs in the PC version which makes the game looks even better

I'm all for tech advances but this is the biggest problem in gaming today for pcs and consoles devs chasing all these new gimmicky tech terms that require a 300x zoom in on DF to even notice and results in ugly choppy "next gen" games...Just make a beautiful game I don't care if uncharted 4 uses 14 year old pre baked lighting still puts most ray traced games to shame

Last edited:

ArtHands

I'm all for tech advances but this is the biggest problem in gaming today for pcs and consoles devs chasing all these new gimmicky tech terms that require a 300x zoom in on DF to even notice and results in ugly choppy "next gen" games...Just make a beautiful game I don't care if uncharted 4 uses 14 year old pre baked lighting still puts most ray traced games to shame

Go play on the Nintendo Switch if you want games that doesn’t focus on chasing these techs then

ZehDon

I thought its visual presentation was really solid, especially the fidelity of its cutscenes. Really strong work across the board.

Unfortunately, all that effort was largely wasted on a dour story with some of the worst pacing I've ever seen. And their E3 trailer also happened to be, basically, the best set piece in the game. The series peaked with 2 and went out on a whimper. But yeah, it sure looks pretty!

Go play on the Nintendo Switch if you want games that doesn’t focus on chasing these techs then

Balance is all im asking if devs put as much time in art and polish as they do hitting all the latest tech buzzwords we would have more ageless beautiful games like uncharted 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2

GrayChild

One of the few games in which I spent more time fiddling with the photo mode than actually playing. Looks gorgeous, but is an absolute slog to play and is the definition of one-and-done type of experience.

saintjules

Gold Member
I never played Uncharted but I kinda wanna try this. Silly question with a potentially obvious answer, do I need to play the first three games?

I don't think you need to play the first 3 per se, but to understand who Nathan is as a person and the other recurring characters you may want to play them. Especially when it comes to his relationships with Elena and Sully.

You could skip Golden Abyss. Its the prequel to the series but AFAIK it's only available on the Vita. 2 is arguably the best in the series.

UC4 is great. Was in my platinum trophy hunting phase when I first played it. Liked it so much, that I ended up getting platinum for UC 1, 2 and 3. Fun times. The jump from UC 1 to UC 2 and from UC3 to UC4 is still insane.

Haint

Same problem as Last of Us 2 though, the game dragged on too long for what it is. Wonder how many years of development and how many $100 million dollars they could save making something more reasonable.

ArtHands

Balance is all im asking if devs put as much time in art and polish as they do hitting all the latest tech buzzwords we would have more ageless beautiful games like uncharted 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2

Yah the PC version’s visual quality matches what the game deserves.

Stu_Hart

It looks good and the atmosphere of the environments are top notch, but unfortunately, the series got stale and the formula is got old. If they are going to make a new one, they need to reboot it IMO.

Same for animations without getting the RDR2 effect where characters need 5 seconds to start moving.
That's an insane exaggeration but also I don't think all the people who criticize RDR2's weighty movement realize how dumb that game would "look" if the characters controlled like an Uncharted game.

It would completely break the immersion if Arthur controlled as fast, snappy and responsive as Drake does in Uncharted, for instance. imagine every time you push forward on the stick and Arthur breaks out into a light jog and then you're able to make him instantly switch directions by rolling the thumbstick around - that would totally fly in the face of the entire tone and design philosophy of what the game is.

Could some things be a touch more responsive? Sure, but its nowhere near what some of you make it out to be, you're in the vocal minority with those complaints - and oh by the way - it has a 97 metascore and is the 6th highest selling game of all time.

Puscifer

Just wished the game matched it's visuals. I gave up on it and picked it up a year later only to discover I was 15 minutes from the end lmao

Vick

Gold Member
Yah the PC version’s visual quality matches what the game deserves.
PC version had some downgrades compared to the PS5 release:

emy4bRc.png

While offering virtually no improvement. And PS5 version itself had many downgrades compared to the OG release:

Best Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy version will be on PC, but only when the OG gets emulated. Still a travesty the current gen release on both PS5 and PC did nothing to improve shadows on Chapter 12 and 17, when they simply needed to unlock the graphical settings of other Chapters.

Nadine hair still being broken on PS5/PC is nothing less than hilarious.

Here some gameplay screenshots from the PS4 Pro version's earlier Chapters (first person shots are taken by simply aiming with the HS39 with no HUD or by turning the camera):

AiAPE2G.png

zbjtZ70.png

xUTWph0.png

hpEDg1K.png

DQhfMWa.png

gdQE1wB.png

XwRk8WC.png

M85OTys.png

wWsuB0h.png

nQFS0Nl.png

UHqYYVD.png

riC7AVf.png

T4AmsmV.png

ZIXjJKX.png

5EFIHu8.png

94sQN5y.png

sHg83h4.png

LfZpQZt.png

bsUO6pR.png

F6FXoU7.png

IQH4b4T.png

LzBDpCi.png

Kxqkttf.png

WBOBD0l.png

TPGO62U.png

Cs1kett.png

CoIsjhE.png

2lWhh2a.png

fC8uSMs.png

g2edQQE.png

uRClcPM.png

4X9DZR9.png

jg7dzWb.png

Mpt1ZoL.png

kJnIBaH.png

lb8p4Zv.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
I particularly liked how they turned nate into a scared bitch that is terrified to tell his wife that he was going on an adventure with his lost brother.

The same chick that fell in love with him while he was doing the same indiana jones stuff in the first 2 games :lollipop_squinting:

They should have called the game Untesticles 4.

Killer8

We need a Vick Vick analysis thread for the best looking games - and their best versions, since people like Digital Foundry miss a ton of issues.

The ending in the Drake home with Cassie was so ridiculously good for it's time.
Just a random fact, I didnt know until recently, but thought it was pretty cool. The face model for Cassie in Uncharted 4 is the actress who will play Abby in the TLOU HBO show. She's must be a big fan of Naughty Dog.

GDbUZOKWEAA1sUs.jpg
kaitlyn-dever-gettyimages-1346387598.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom