• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
No surprise whatsoever, but our AD confirmed Kingsbury is the coach going forward.

As has been suspected over recent weeks Kingsbury "self-identified" that he needs to be taking a more active hand in overseeing the defense. Don't think he's giving up playcalling duties on offense but the AD says the "day to day operations" will be noticeably different next season.

If nothing else it will be nice to hear Kingsbury say "we" instead of "they" more often when talking about the defense.

I will continue to hope for max fuckery and a Western Michigan loss. Would create an issue for the committee because of Army/Navy assuming they can win their CCG.

tebunker

Banned
I'm aware. Makes it even more hilarious when people say it can't be done at the FBS level.

Exactly.

In fact the FCS playoffs started this weekend. However the money just isn't the same compared to CCGs and bowls.

Too many "non-profits" benefit from bowl games.

Also, it feels like if Clemson wins & UW wins convincingly , it really comes down to the big ten championship game right? Wiscy is close enough that a dominant win over psu could push out anOsu. I am still not willing to rule out a huge win in the BIG championship by either team pushing out the buckeyes.

guys, the conspiracy is real

CyURgWfUcAEWI6C.jpg

cdyhybrid

Exactly.

In fact the FCS playoffs started this weekend. However the money just isn't the same compared to CCGs and bowls.

Also, it feels like if Clemson wins & UW wins convincingly , it really comes down to the big ten championship game right? Wiscy is close enough that a dominant win over psu could push out anOsu. I am still not willing to rule out a huge win in the BIG championship by either team pushing out the buckeyes.

Well, you could still have bowls for those that aren't in the playoff. I doubt they're going to send all 80 or whatever bowl-eligible teams to a playoff (and no one is asking for that), so it couldn't hurt to let whoever didn't get in play in a bowl game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I get why Michigan fans are pissed. I think it was a bad spot.

I still think it was a bad spot.

That said, they had that game and blew it.

bgbball31

Since we're posting images of the spot. This has a lot less angle on it relative to the 15 yards line than the TV shot. Looks like he was short here.

Signed,
A pissed Michigan fan looking through maize tinted glasses.

osu-miami+interference.jpg

dat Ohio State conspiracy train still running strong after 14 years

But i mean, UM fans can keep posting the pic of after hes falling backwards into theyre blue (lol!) in the face, or we can look at the one where his forward progress is stopped (but its clearly photoshopped ive been told numerous time! sad!)

CyUNSvMXEAUmIWM.jpg

andycapps

Problem with that spot that it was impossible for me to tell either way whether he got it or not. His body was covering up the ball such that with forward progress I still wasn't entirely sure of where the ball was. Just not any good angles to tell definitively.

That's one thing about games at the Shoe, the camera angles kind of suck. The main cameras are way too high to get good perspective of what's going on.

Problem with that spot that it was impossible for me to tell either way whether he got it or not. His body was covering up the ball such that with forward progress I still wasn't entirely sure of where the ball was. Just not any good angles to tell definitively.

That's one thing about games at the Shoe, the camera angles kind of suck. The main cameras are way too high to get good perspective of what's going on.

Looking at the other angles the ball is clearly at his shoulders, which would correspond somewhere to the name plate/top of the numbers at its "lowest point" which clearly reach the white line

What a world.

Gotta love someone for condemning someone for "not a good look" right after having their own "not a good look" moment.

bgbball31

But i mean, UM fans can keep posting the pic of after hes falling backwards into theyre blue (lol!) in the face, or we can look at the one where his forward progress is stopped (but its clearly photoshopped ive been told numerous time! sad!)

It clearly IS photoshopped though. All someone did was try to "normalize" (for lack of a better term) the image by making the yellow line straight up and down. This ignores that it was taken at an angle. The whole crux of the problem is that there wasn't a camera right above the play. Since the camera was taken at an angle behind the runner, he could be well short, but we see it as over. The image you posted doesn't show anything.

You can test this easily. Draw a line on a paper. Then, hold a quarter an inch above the paper behind the line. If you stand behind the quarter at an angle you can get it to look like it is over the line, when clearly you know you are holding it behind the line.

Meanwhile, the image I posted shows it from a much tighter angle relative to the 15 yard line at almost the same instant (look at every player's body position), and gives us points of reference along the way. With Barrett's hand on the ground, there is no question where it is based on the angle, we know his left hand is just over the 15. We can then gather information on the rest of his body due to this. The rest of his body is obviously behind his arm, the with majority of it at a slight angle back from his elbow. The ball can clearly be seen just above his helmet in my picture (the which semi-circle above the helmet), which is almost directly over his left shoulder. Unless the distance between his wrist and his shoulder is shorter than the width of the yard line (the literal 15 yard line), he was short.

I spent way too much time looking at that...

It clearly IS photoshopped though. All someone did was try to "normalize" (for lack of a better term) the image by making the yellow line straight up and down. This ignores that it was taken at an angle. The whole crux of the problem is that there wasn't a camera right above the play. Since the camera was taken at an angle behind the runner, he could be well short, but we see it as over. The image you posted doesn't show anything.

You can test this easily. Draw a line on a paper. Then, hold a quarter an inch above the paper behind the line. If you stand behind the quarter at an angle you can get it to look like it is over the line, when clearly you know you are holding it behind the line.

Meanwhile, the image I posted shows it from a much tighter angle relative to the 15 yard line at almost the same instant (look at every player's body position), and gives us points of reference along the way. With Barrett's hand on the ground, there is no question where it is based on the angle, we know his left hand is just over the 15. We can then gather information on the rest of his body due to this. The rest of his body is obviously behind his arm, the with majority of it at a slight angle back from his elbow. The ball can clearly be seen just above his helmet in my picture (the which semi-circle above the helmet), which is almost directly over his left shoulder. Unless the distance between his wrist and his shoulder is shorter than the width of the yard line (the literal 15 yard line), he was short.

I spent way too much time looking at that...

Bruh, the pic you posted is after hes already falling backward.

If I were on the committee, I would treat Michigan and Oklahoma State as 1 loss teams with Michigan holding the edge over Ohio State and with Oklahoma State having a slight edge over Central Michigan

If I were on the committee, I would treat Michigan and Oklahoma State as 1 loss teams with Michigan holding the edge over Ohio State and with Oklahoma State having a slight edge over Central Michigan

To be fair i would probably put Stanford at 1, because during all their loses they werent playing stanford football, which as well all know via the Palmer rule: Nullifies the loss

CyUNSvMXEAUmIWM.jpg

It was rotated and cropped to make it look better:
PEyJ2Kl.jpg

It's not a down-the-line shot so it will appear that he is more forward than he actually is...

I don't know, two me, these look like the exact same moment (first pic is the unphotoshopped and unzoomed version of the one with the line straight up). If I'm missing something that makes these at different times then please, honestly, let me know.

The other shots show Michigan defenders covering the entire number. Yours show only the 6, meaning they were close but not the same time

bgbball31

The other shots show Michigan defenders covering the entire number. Yours show only the 1, meaning they were close but not the same time

Ah, I see, on the shoulder pad. Thanks. (And ugh, you catching my spelling error in the quote right before I fixed it)

Though, it is a little hard to tell with the low res of the first shot. Note how you can't make out the numbers on the left shoulder pad. That said, there does seem to be more distance between UM player's hand and Barrett's name.

Exactly.

Wisky pushing OSU out would be stupid. PSU, I can understand given the head-to-head.

I really wish we'd do away with conference divisions.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Here's the thing: they won't go back and undo Oklahoma states loss to CMU, and that game the refs openly admit to blowing it. This 4th down cannot be undone.

When I finally saw this play, upon first sight at normal speed, it doesn't look like a first down. All the slomo reviews and angles just make it impossible to tell, which then leads to having to go with what was called on the field.

Either stop them on the next play, or maybe try not to fumble on the one or throw a pick six.

Looking at stats, it just appears that Michigan was too sloppy to win. Lost the turnover battle, had penalty issues, and couldn't run the ball

tebunker

Banned
The Holy Definite Article.

So I've adopted this only because its kind of funny. As well as the CFB title belt.

So one but of irony is that because of 2014 the BIG12 got permission to have a conf title game. Now, anOSU is probably going to render that point moot.

Honestly, if the committee isn't going to give the CCGs any more weight I honestly think no one should play them ever. Maybe we can get to a point where everyone plays a ten game schedule against only P5 schools and we have a legit playoff.

And to be fair I do think that the schools and networks and everyone involved could benefit much more than the current system.

Cday

Banned
Conference championship games clearly matter a lot seeing as how 11/12 playoff spots will have been conference champions. Being in the position to win a conference in the first place also tends to coincide with being highly ranked and being in a position to get into the playoff. Truly a revelation. Doesn't mean that's always going to happen or that conference championships are the end all be all. If it was then there'd be no point in having a committee in the first place. It would just be the highest ranked conference champions, which would be dumb and boring and piss people off too.

And yes I'm saying Ohio State is a lock. I think the only way otherwise is if they're somehow put down to #3 this week after just beating #3 and that puts them in more of a position to be jumped after championship week. Even then Ohio State was #5 going into championship week in 2014 and it still took that performance for them to jump a single spot. In the unlikely scenario that they drop to #3 this week they'd still need to be jumped twice by 2 such performances.

As much as you may want Ohio State to not get in I think you should just get over it and that way you'll be less mad on selection day. No need to thank me.

tebunker

Banned
Conference championship games clearly matter a lot seeing as how 11/12 playoff spots will have been conference champions. Being in the position to win a conference in the first place also tends to coincide with being highly ranked and being in a position to get into the playoff. Truly a revelation. Doesn't mean that's always going to happen or that conference championships are the end all be all. If it was then there'd be no point in having a committee in the first place. It would just be the highest ranked conference champions, which would be dumb and boring and piss people off too.

And yes I'm saying Ohio State is a lock. I think the only way otherwise is if they're somehow put down to #3 this week after just beating #3 and that puts them in more of a position to be jumped after championship week. Even then Ohio State was #5 going into championship week in 2014 and it still took that performance for them to jump a single spot. In the unlikely scenario that they drop to #3 this week they'd still need to be jumped twice by 2 such performances.

As much as you may want Ohio State to not get in I think you should just get over it and that way you'll be less mad on selection day. No need to thank me.

I personally don't think people are saying that anOSU isn't deserving or shouldn't be in. Most people just want to know what the hell the committee actually considers come this final week of rankings. The problem is over the past two years they haven't really done a good job illustrating it. Honestly if we had or or two more 1 loss teams it would be an even bigger shit show.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On the earlier subject of saying why not just go to 6 teams vs 8 for the playoff I feel like 6 teams puts pressure on the rankings.

Imagine we have 6 teams and both PSU and OSU get in, but OSU still ranked #2. Then you'd have people bitching about OSU getting the automatic bye, and essentially not playing a game since the Michigan win as it rolls into the final 4.

At least with 8 everyone has to play someone so you'd have less stress on getting the CFP rankings perfect.

Top Bottom