• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

I think it will be on the table..

Let's face it.. people are going to be pissed either way

On what table? Michigan would have 2 losses and out of the champ game. I think the more interesting discussion will be how the 2-4 seeds will be looking like between Ohio State, Washington and Clemson. (If the latter two take care of business of course).

Andodalf

Banned
I feel like Michigan got worked into a shoot. IMO they're still a top 4 team. Ive always thought the cfp should be the top 4 teams. Sometimes that means two from one conference, and that will happen this year, imo.

Our AP friend has realized he is a maroon.

screen-shot-2016-11-28-at-1-19-06-pm.png

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I feel like Michigan got worked into a shoot. IMO they're still a top 4 team. Ive always thought the cfp should be the top 4 teams. Sometimes that means two from one conference, and that will happen this year, imo.
Two from one conference, with neither team having played in their championship game would be a farce. I don't disagree that it will happen if either Clemson or U Dub lose, but it would still be a farce.

On what table? Michigan would have 2 losses and out of the champ game. I think the more interesting discussion will be how the 2-4 seeds will be looking like between Ohio State, Washington and Clemson. (If the latter two take care of business of course).
I meant that if Colorado beats Washington.. Michigan might back themselves in to the playoff as MRE said because of them beat Colorado. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I think that Washington and Clemson will win next week and be in. I think Wisconsin beats Penn State and Oklahoma wins Bedlam

1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Washington

Is what I think the final ranks will look like..

ccbfan

Michigan easily has the best resume of any 2 lose team. The only thing they're missing is a conference championship.

If Clemson loses, Colorado wins and Penn St wins.

It gonna be really hard for the Committee to put any of these teams over Michigan since Michigan creamed both Penn St and Colorado and have a much better resume than all three.

Hell if the above scenario happens, it would be hard pressed not to put 3 Big 10 teams in the playoffs.Their resumes are just so much better than Colorado's and Clemson's.

Draxal

So a poster posted an interview with a now ex player on our 9.95.

I feel alot better about going 2 and 10 now. Our program needed an enema.

I meant that if Colorado beats Washington.. Michigan might back themselves in to the playoff as MRE said because of them beat Colorado. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I think that Washington and Clemson will win next week and be in. I think Wisconsin beats Penn State and Oklahoma wins Bedlam

1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Washington

I would put Clemson at 2 but obviously that is irrelevant but I would agree with this as long as it is Wiscy that wins the B10.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
But we talking about Saban.. I think he needs to win by 40 plus a 0 for the opponent to be happy

There's no such thing. It's feigned happiness when he wins national championships. He's dead inside, and wants everyone else to feel that way, and he's certainly accomplished that for everyone else in the SEC.

1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Washington

Oh that makes sense then, I thought we were talking 1 loss UW and 2 loss Michigan.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There's no such thing. It's feigned happiness when he wins national championships. He's dead inside, and wants everyone else to feel that way, and he's certainly accomplished that for everyone else in the SEC

It's true. The SEC is a hollowed out shell this year. So much mediocrity propped up by being in the formerly best conference. Alabama is the best team, imo, but would they have survived OSU, Wisconsin, or Michigan's schedules and come out unscathed? Not sure. It will be interesting as hell to see these playoffs play out. I fully expect Alabama to cream Florida in the SECCG.

HeySeuss

I've been saying that Clemson might get left out but the more I think about it, I'm leaning toward Washington getting left out and it being:

1. Alabama
2. tOSU
3. Clemson
4. Big 10 Champ

Not sure how you leave out the outright Champ of the best conference in CFB. Sure it's just this year, but it's the case.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been saying that Clemson might get left out but the more I think about it, I'm leaning toward Washington getting left out and it being:

1. Alabama
2. tOSU
3. Clemson
4. Big 10 Champ

Not sure how you leave out the outright Champ of the best conference in CFB. Sure it's just this year, but it's the case.

Lol. Your logic is all fucky. The best team from the best conference will make it. The actual champ is not necessarily that good. Especially to screw the best team from the second best conference.

cdyhybrid

1. Alabama
2. tOSU
3. Clemson
4. Big 10 Champ

Conference championships only matter if you're comparing "like" teams. So if the committee thinks the B1G champ is a lesser team than whoever else they're competing with for that spot (UW, Michigan, Colorado, whoever) then their conference title won't even factor into the decision.

That is, of course, assuming that the committee sticks to the guidelines they've laid out, which is not necessarily a safe assumption.

Quake1028

Year 1 under Mark Richt was a success, at least in the stands:

2016 total home attendance - 351,434 / 6 games
2015 - 285,363 / 6 games
2014 - 367,623 / 7 games (and the stadium was configured to hold 9,934 more per game)

As for playoffs, I think 6 is actually the best number. I'm not convinced a 7th or 8th team really has a claim to compete for the playoffs at the end of the season.

If it is 6, it allows for the 5 P5 conference champs (not that there would be an autobid), and a wildcard. But of course if one of the conferences is weak and their champ just is ranked low and out of the top 6, then that opens up another slot.

Treat the format like the NFL conference playoffs. Top two get a bye, and it goes from there. Use the big bowls as rotating regional sites - unless Rose continues to be fucks. Just leave them out at that point. They can get Big 10/Pac 12 leftovers every season.

But Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton, and Peach can all be in the mix to rotate the regional games and host the championship.

I would put Clemson at 2 but obviously that is irrelevant but I would agree with this as long as it is Wiscy that wins the B10.
It is.. you can dicker with Clemson over Ohio State.. but it doesn't in the grand scheme of things matter since we'll play them regardless..
and we probably lose to them..

Ohio State needs two things to happen this Saturday..

Wisconsin beating Penn State first and foremost because if Penn State wins.. I really think Ohio State is fucked and Penn State will be in (SOS or not) They'll have the championship and the the head-to-head and those might be the biggies if I'm the committee.

They also need Oklahoma to beat Gondo State.. if Oklahoma loses to Gondo State.. that hurts Ohio State's SOS argument if Gondo State beats Oklahoma should number one not go the way we all hope..

If Penn State wins and Gondo State wins..
1)Bama
2)Clemson
3)Washington
4)Penn State

look at it this way CFB-GAF, if they make it.. we can all enjoy watching Alabama just dunk on them hard.

Lunar15

It's true. The SEC is a hollowed out shell this year. So much mediocrity propped up by being in the formerly best conference. Alabama is the best team, imo, but would they have survived OSU, Wisconsin, or Michigan's schedules and come out unscathed? Not sure. It will be interesting as hell to see these playoffs play out. I fully expect Alabama to cream Florida in the SECCG.

Yeah, the SEC was dire this year. Usually there's at least two or three presentable teams, but this year it was almost all terrible except for Alabama.

Just look at the QB situation. I couldn't name more than one or two good QB's in the SEC right now.

andycapps

Yeah, the SEC was dire this year. Usually there's at least two or three presentable teams, but this year it was almost all terrible except for Alabama.

Just look at the QB situation. I couldn't name more than one or two good QB's in the SEC right now.
The good news is that there's some good, young QB talent in the conference that will pay off in a year or two. The bad news is that there's several coaches still on hot seats and those schools are delaying the inevitable. The other bad news is that first year coaches don't typically do well, the league had a few this year and likely will have more next year or year after.

Kirby's 7-5 first season puts him on average with UGA coaches for first season. Some good news is that the average wins in year 2 is 10.7.

Lunar15

I think the SEC needs to stop hiring so many Sabanites. Everyone wants to be Bama, but to succeed you have to shake things up.

cdyhybrid

The good news is that there's some good, young QB talent in the conference that will pay off in a year or two. The bad news is that there's several coaches still on hot seats and those schools are delaying the inevitable. The other bad news is that first year coaches don't typically do well, the league had a few this year and likely will have more next year or year after.

Kirby's 7-5 first season puts him on average with UGA coaches for first season. Some good news is that the average wins in year 2 is 10.7.
Eason will be a year better too. An extra spring and fall camp will be huge. Browning is only a true sophomore and he went from mediocre to outside shot at the Heisman.

ryseing

I think the SEC needs to stop hiring so many Sabanites. Everyone wants to be Bama, but to succeed you have to shake things up.

I would love to see an SEC school take a risk and hire an Air Raid guy or something along those lines. You aren't going to out Bama Bama so might as well come in with a completely different look.

cdyhybrid

Question gaf, how big of difference if any would be if Bama played USC now instead of the first game?
A big difference. Bama probably still wins but it would be close.

I would love to see an SEC school take a risk and hire a spread guy or something along those lines. You aren't going to out Bama Bama so might as well come in with a completely different look.
aTm and Auburn did. It worked for a time but Bama adjusted.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This past Spring, one of our best defensive players, redshirt sophomore Dakota Allen, was kicked off the team with two other players after a burglary. He played 2016 at a JUCO and we've heard recently that apparently all charges were dropped and he reached out to our coaches to see if they would be willing to let him return. Nothing set in stone yet but it seems like a decent possibility. Would really help out our LB corps.

The real reason I bring it up here is because the JUCO he went to was East Mississippi Community College, better known as the subject of the Netflix documentary series Last Chance U. He's rumored to be one of the focuses in the upcoming season 2.

tebunker

Banned
I would love to see an SEC school take a risk and hire a spread guy or something along those lines. You aren't going to out Bama Bama so might as well come in with a completely different look.

You're joking right? Like Hugh Freeze, Sumlin, Gus. Even Mullen to a degree used the spread with the almighty Dak. Petrino was at Arky. Mizzou ran spread light. Urb ran the style out at UF and I believe Saban was 2-1 against him in the SEC.

The point is, Saban adjusts and tweaks and gets better. You are right in most teams aren't gonna out bama bama, but thats because Saban is driven by something so few people are and not many coaches come close. Urban is the closest when he talks about aligning the whole school etc. Sounds awfully a lot like the process.

andycapps

Spread vs pro style isn't the problem. Years straight off consensus #1 recruiting classes combined with Saban's coaching acumen gets us where we are.

tebunker

Banned
Spread vs pro style isn't the problem. Years straight off consensus #1 recruiting classes combined with Saban's coaching acumen gets us where we are.

People also miss the 3*s he gets that are either just missed players or the coaches develop.

The real secret sauce is the huge staff, former HCs as analysts, former pro coaches everywhere, the best damned Strength Coach in CFB, and full time on staff Nutrionist. All of that is part of the process of achieving the best out of players.

You can't just hire kirby and some of the coaches, you gotta commit in full. Coach Boom was elsewhere for too long, Coach Mac didn't quite take everything with him. Jimbo has been the most successful and I believe FSU has put a lot in to the program the last decade to get there.

Very few schools can commit the resources or have the football revs to py for the operation Alabama has. Honestly Saban will retire in 4-5 years and the program will probably be okay for another 6-10. That's insane.

There are probably more spread teams than non spread teams in the SEC now. Even Bama uses elements of it.

Saban has adapted his personnel on both sides of the ball during his tenure at Alabama. He's not a fake genius like Chip Kelly who failed evolve and adapt.

jjasper

This plus everyone saw that Bama went from basically went from dumpster fire to GOAT overnight and thought they could replicate that without realizing that there are 3-4 coaches that can do that. Which lead to a lot of bad hires and then whatever the hell Derrick Dooley is.

andycapps

People also miss the 3*s he gets that are either just missed players or the coaches develop.

The real secret sauce is the huge staff, former HCs as analysts, former pro coaches everywhere, the best damned Strength Coach in CFB, and full time on staff Nutrionist. All of that is part of the process of achieving the best out of players.

You can't just hire kirby and some of the coaches, you gotta commit in full. Coach Boom was elsewhere for too long, Coach Mac didn't quite take everything with him. Jimbo has been the most successful and I believe FSU has put a lot in to the program the last decade to get there.

Very few schools can commit the resources or have the football revs to py for the operation Alabama has. Honestly Saban will retire in 4-5 years and the program will probably be okay for another 6-10. That's insane.
It's year one of Kirby. They're #3 in recruiting right now behind Bama and tOSU. That's not bad for his first full year recruiting. As far as staffing goes, it started expanding when Pruitt came and has continued to expand under Kirby.

Things are improving but nobody is going to reinvent what Bama has in one season.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's year one of Kirby. They're #3 in recruiting right now behind Bama and tOSU. That's not bad for his first full year recruiting. As far as staffing goes, it started expanding when Pruitt came and has continued to expand under Kirby.

Things are improving but nobody is going to reinvent what Bama has in one season.

UGA will be fine. I think the one thing you have to remember is Kirby was the hottest assistant coach destined for an HC position for years, so the expectations were really high.

andycapps

UGA will be fine. I think the one thing you have to remember is Kirby was the hottest assistant coach destined for an HC position for years, so the expectations were really high.
Too high for a first year head coach coming into a situation so dire on OL. Richt may have had a couple more wins due to more experience but he wouldn't have had an undefeated team with this bunch.

ryseing

You're joking right? Like Hugh Freeze, Sumlin, Gus. Even Mullen to a degree used the spread with the almighty Dak. Petrino was at Arky. Mizzou ran spread light. Urb ran the style out at UF and I believe Saban was 2-1 against him in the SEC.

The point is, Saban adjusts and tweaks and gets better. You are right in most teams aren't gonna out bama bama, but thats because Saban is driven by something so few people are and not many coaches come close. Urban is the closest when he talks about aligning the whole school etc. Sounds awfully a lot like the process.

Whoops. I meant Air Raid. Not sure how I got those confused.

andycapps

Whoops. I meant Air Raid. Not sure how I got those confused.
Sumlin is air raid. Not sure if Josh Heupel at Mizzou is. Maybe. Mizzou's problem this year oddly enough was on defense. Connelly's stats show that they have a good chance of improving drastically next year

Top Bottom