• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

ryseing

I'm also interested to see what happens with Fedora at UNC and Doeren at NCSU, especially if he wins the bowl game. And I'm trying to figure out how to plant drugs in the offices of our defensive coordinators (all but the DL coach) so Cutcliffe will have no choice but to fire the. Seriously, the DC and DB coaches HAVE TO GO!!!!!!!!

DD is here for another year so we might as well win the bowl. Unfortunately.

Didn't the second best ACC team just lose to Kentucky?

The SEC's certainly down this year, but that's just relative to its dominance the past couple of seasons. It's objectively no worse than any Power 5 conference not named the B1G this year.

ACC won every other rivalry game yesterday.

After Michigan went up 17-7 their next drives

6 plays 14 yrds INT
5 plays 16 yrds
3 plays -6 yrds
3 plays 6 yrds
1 play 0 yrds

Overtime

Michigan had 5 yards in the entire 4th quarter

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
B10 >>>
P12
ACC
SEC
B12

IMO... P12 was behind for awhile,but the stumbling of the other conferences the past 2-3 weeks is pretty remarkable.
Sounds like the playoff teams should be tOSU, B1G champ, P12 champ and ACC champ.

Oh yeah since the question about the Rose Bowl came up last night, I saw on Twitter that the Rose Bowl gets to pick the highest ranked Pac-12 and B1G teams per the CFP poll that aren't in the playoff.

‏@ralphDrussoAP
UCLA announces offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu will not return.
Did one year at OC to replace Noel Mazzone.

Trojans probably hire Polamalu back in a week. That Bruins offense was awful though so this move is warranted.

CySyLQcUoAI0hsg.jpg:large

Important.

On what planet? They pretty much started after the outcry following the Bama/LSU title game. Plenty of AD's and conference commissioners are on record stating they wanted emphasis placed on conference champions. I don't really know where all this "it's always been about the 4 best teams" talk started.

"Slive said he was opposed to the conference champions-only proposal, saying he preferred to choose the best four teams, regardless of whether they won their conference championships or not." Michael Slive, SEC Commissioner, 2012

http://espn.com/college-football/st...lection-committee-potential-four-team-playoff

Gorillaz

Listen man fuck all this

I just need the Saben v Meyer match up for gifs.

Someone post that gif of meyer eating pizza with what looks like disappointment and a heartburn.

FyreWulff

Yeah theyre basically still covering up that mistake lol.

I agree with you, as long as OSU is the B1G champ. OSU is probably only going to get in if one of the three (non-Alabama) teams lose. The committee is not going to want to have to explain why the conference championship is suddenly less important in this case.

It's gonna keep happening until they go to the correct 8 team layout

Agreed. It's impossible to have 8 teams play each other in a tournament-style bracket to determine the champion. No other sport at any level does it.

Yep. No way to come to a legitimate consensus on who teams 5-8 are. Bottom 4 teams wouldn't have a legit claim to the title more times than not, anyways.

Are you accusing a man of rigging the game because he was honored by a separate (high school officiating) entity back in February?

See any problems here?

Kevin Schwarzel (back judge)
Referees can move up through the ranks (for example, you can't do a varsity basketball game the first year you referee), and Schwarzel moved up to Division III football games in 1991. He covered games for the Ohio Conference, which includes colleges such as Marietta College and Capital University. In 1997, Schwarzel began doing MAC games, and in 2002 he refereed his first Big 10 game.

'This year, I did my first full schedule in the Big 10,' he said. Schwarzel was an Ohio State fan growing up, and said he was excited to be on the field for the Ohio State/Texas game, which featured (at the time) the top-ranked team in the country against the second-ranked team.

His crew worked the Ohio State/Michigan game this fall, which also featured the two top-ranked teams at the time, but Schwarzel was not allowed to work the huge game because he is from Ohio.

http://www.athensnews.com/news/local/local-businessman-has-interesting-hobby----he-refs/article_ff61a741-18ae-57a0-ba31-a3188493324b.html

Apparently the B1G said "fuck it" this year...

Regarding lead official Daniel Capron:
Four officials who worked the Sept. 21 Purdue-Wake Forest football game were dismissed by the Big Ten Conference on Wednesday after being determined to have done a poor job during the game.

"During the course of the game, these officials did not officiate well enough to meet Big Ten standards," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said in a statement. "Therefore, they will forfeit future officiating assignments."

The eight-man officiating crew had four officials that are listed on the Big Ten’s staff. They are referee Daniel Capron, linesman Steve Beckman, back judge Scott Buchanan and side judge Don Swanson.

Beckman had been a Big Ten official since 1990. Capron and Buchanan both had been officials in the conference since 2000 and Swanson began in 2001.

Purdue head coach Joe Tiller said it was gratifying to see the Big Ten hold its officials accountable.

"Obviously, they felt the performance of some of the officials in our Wake Forest game did not meet conference standards," said Tiller. "I think this action is a positive step by the conference."
http://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/article_f22a455e-1bc6-504f-957d-876628375294.html

So a guy who was previously dismissed because he was terrible at his job was made lead official for yesterday. Nice job B1G...

cdyhybrid

Yep. No way to come to a legitimate consensus on who teams 5-8 are. Bottom 4 teams wouldn't have a legit claim to the title more times than not, anyways.

Guaranteed berths for conference champions are about as legitimate as you can get.

If you win your conference, you're in. If you didn't win your conference, it's out of your hands and up to the committee. If you don't like their decision, should have won your conference.

And 5-8 wouldn't have a legitimate claim to the title? How do you know? You're not seeing them play 1-4.

I will never understand college football's obsession with having their championship decided by anything but actually playing football.

FyreWulff

I will never understand college football's obsession with having their championship decided by anything but actually playing football.

I think we'll get there eventually. A lot of it is left over from Old Money and they're releasing their grip on the postseason as slowly as possible.

Go to 8 team playoff, all the conferences get an autoslot then fill out the rest with the highest ranked teams NOT from any of those conferences, and all the BS ends. Either that, or the inevitable 4 superconferences happen and the conf championships are the first brackets anyway :V

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Didn't the second best ACC team just lose to Kentucky?

The SEC's certainly down this year, but that's just relative to its dominance the past couple of seasons. It's objectively no worse than any Power 5 conference not named the B1G this year.

All of CFB is down though. That's that rub. It's just the SEC had further to fall.

cdyhybrid

All of CFB is down though. That's that rub. It's just the SEC had further to fall.

Nah. B1G had five teams in the rankings entering this weekend, four in the top ten. Pac-12 had six teams. Those conferences are doing just fine.

ACC only had three. SEC had four. Hell, the Big 12 only has three teams but two of them are in the top ten.

Alabama being the best team in the country is doing a lot of favors for the rest of the conference.

Guaranteed berths for conference champions are about as legitimate as you can get.

If you win your conference, you're in. If you didn't win your conference, it's out of your hands and up to the committee. If you don't like their decision, should have won your conference.

And 5-8 wouldn't have a legitimate claim to the title? How do you know? You're not seeing them play 1-4.

But my regular season! My student athletes!

Honestly looking at rankings I think it's clear its a down year for most the fact that the top 25 is littered with 3 and 4 loss teams shows that. I mean how the hell does Stanford go from unranked to 17th by beating mighty Rice?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nah. B1G had five teams in the rankings entering this weekend, four in the top ten. Pac-12 had six teams. Those conferences are doing just fine.

ACC only had three. SEC had four. Hell, the Big 12 only has three teams but two of them are in the top ten.

Alabama being the best team in the country is doing a lot of favors for the rest of the conference.

It's very possible that Alabama being so good for so long has about destroyed the SEC. The never ending race to match up has lead to the old guard getting tossed, Saban staff being poached but not working out, and generally taking chunks of talent that used to be spread out among the teams. Back when Alabama used to be average.

The SEC prospered in Alabama's absence, and now it has swung too far the other direction when Alabama came back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, College Football is down and completely mixed up. Louisville has some bad losses lately, but are behind a team they beat by 40+ in FSU. You don't have to put Pitt in front of Clemson or Iowa in front of Michigan, but there was no lucky bounces in that shellacking.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah apparently the guy who tweeted Texas was bowl eligible didn't know MSST held the APR tiebreaker. Oh well. Strong promised Texas fans preseason that we would go to a bowl, and if South Alabama or Lafayette lose next week, he'll deliver that promise posthumously!

To be completely honest, I haven't found the exact rule in the NCAA handbook outlining that tiebreaker but have just heard it from reputable sports reporters. That said, if the tiebreaker isn't true then Miss. St. and Texas share the same issue and if both of those games next week end with wins for the 5-6 teams, then its just a toss-up between Texas and Miss. St. and I don't know who would go. I'd guess Texas just because of tie-ins.

Tom Herman's introductory presser can be seen here

http://www.texassports.com/watch/?Live=311

starts in 30 mins

Someone should ask what his plans are if Texas actually gets a bowl, lol.

Someone should ask what his plans are if Texas actually gets a bowl, lol.

lol yeah I think there's a 50/50 shot someone asks. I mean, as long as South Alabama or Laffayette lose, Texas is bowl eligible and I think the Big 12 requires all eligible teams to accept their bowl invites due to media contracts and all

andycapps

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Brian VanGorder assisting UGA defense in consulting role

Will the Dawgs bring back Richt, Bobo, and everyone else before it's all done?

VanGorder was a consultant for this game actually. They haven't said if it extends or not. I posted about this in last week's thread. Some of our best defenses were with him, and the last SECCG that Richt won was while he was there. I think he's still a good defensive mind, the rumors are that he sucks at recruiting these days. Kirby is a pretty good defensive mind, so if he called VanGorder up, I assume he had his reasons.

If Kirby doesn't get us where fans want in 2 years I expect Bobo to be the first person called. And I'd be okay with that. Time will tell on Kirby. He went 7-5 in his first year with some real problems on the team. Most of our DL are true freshmen. Our OL is shit. Not a true tackle on the team and they're much smaller than needed. Recruiting is taking care of that piece this year, but they'll be true freshmen so I don't expect more than 1-2 to play, if that.

It could be worse, we could be Michigan State that went from playoffs last year to 3-9 and that's not with a first year head coach. ND went from 10-3 to 4-8, again not with a first year head coach. It's just too early to tell on Kirby either way.

Also rumor has it UGA DC is up for the GA State HC job. Wonder if he bolts or not.

Yeah saw that rumor about Tucker. Doubt he bolts for that, but who knows. That program is fledgling and will be hard to get off the ground.

mre

If the SEC is so far down, then why does everyone assume that Bama is the best team in the country. I just don't get that. Either the SEC is still good, or Bama isn't the best team in the country. Record is no reason to dictate ranking by the committee.

Ourobolus

Banned
If the SEC is so far down, then why does everyone assume that Bama is the best team in the country. I just don't get that. Either the SEC is still good, or Bama isn't the best team in the country. Record is no reason to dictate ranking by the committee.
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

mre

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
Of course not, but then why rank Bama over OSU, for example, who only lost 1 game in a league with 4 teams in the top 10? Bama doesn't have a single win over a team with fewer than 3 losses. If going undefeated through a powder puff conference is so impressive, why not put Western Michigan at 1 or 2?

Didn't Tennessee beat a Virginia Tech team that won its division? Didn't Georgia beat the UNC team that nearly won that same division?

SEC's average this season. Not some bottom of the barrel league.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
In crootin news, Baylor is back down to 1 commit in 2017. They've pretty much lost a whole season of recruiting this past year, and Chad Morris would only be able to raid his class at SMU at best. Baylor is gonna suck for a while guys.

Hey maybe in 2 years, they'll be in the playoff hunt and conference championship race like PSU anyway!
I know you were joking GoldenEye but honestly they're in an even worse position than PSU was from what I recall. Bennett mentioned a few weeks back that Baylor was down to 63 scholarship players, and that was a mid-season count that wouldn't include graduating seniors. Factor in (12) graduating seniors, transfers, and early draftees and they could realistically be in the 40s.

They can only sign 25 in a class, so if we put their number at 45 or so that still puts them 15 under the cap. Technically they could count early enrollees back against the prior class but it being late November and them having only 1 commit, no idea who the coaches will be, and negative recruiting momentum, I don't think that number will be significant.

Their roster is about to look REALLY ugly in both talent AND depth, and they don't have the PSU advantages of a massive fanbase and a full trophy case to get back on track. People keep waiting to see if the NCAA will step in but honestly what they've done to themselves is probably worse than anything the NCAA has ever done this side of the death penalty.

Karl2177

Of course not, but then why rank Bama over OSU, for example, who only lost 1 game in a league with 4 teams in the top 10? Bama doesn't have a single win over a team with fewer than 3 losses. If going undefeated through a powder puff conference is so impressive, why not put Western Michigan at 1 or 2?

Because there was only 1 final where Bama was within 1 score of the team they beat. They showed that despite the conference being slightly down, they were still the team to beat.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Penn State beating Wisc is not a foregone conclusion. They still need to play the game.

Everyone here seems to think it's already over.

Penn State is getting all of the water cooler talk because they beat Ohio State on the field and they knocked Ohio State and Michigan out of the title game, but Wisconsin has been ranked higher than them all season. You'll see all of the same potential issues with a Wisconsin win as with a Penn State win.

lol yeah I think there's a 50/50 shot someone asks. I mean, as long as South Alabama or Laffayette lose, Texas is bowl eligible and I think the Big 12 requires all eligible teams to accept their bowl invites due to media contracts and all

I think our APR puts us out of it regardless, but the question about taking a bowl at 5-7 apparently prompted a VERY strong response out of our AD today about how 5-7 teams shouldn't go bowling. Strong to the point that people got the impression he wouldn't take it even if offered. I haven't personally watched it or read the transcript yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
OSU leapfrogging Baylor and TCU probably had more to do with how they won not that they won. If they had won by a point I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor goes instead.

I still think that the Big XII had the biggest part in screwing that up by declaring co-champions after a round robin schedule. Baylor should have been the sole champion but the conference got scared about their OOC schedule so they propped up dual champions and made everybody look weak. Plus, IIRC Baylor was already out there publicly doing the WWE heel act so they were really low in general goodwill.

If Baylor had a decent P5 opponent in their OOC I think they're named sole champs and get in regardless of what Ohio State did. As is, the CFP committee was itching for a reason to take them out of it.

Part of it is that undefeated is undefeated. Everybody else in the P5 has a loss but them.

Another part is, frankly, that they're Nick Saban's Alabama. Even if the committee and general public aren't intentionally giving them the benefit of the doubt for recent history (as they say they don't) they will still pretty much always be getting the benefit of the doubt.

cdyhybrid

I mean, they might not be, but they haven't really given me any reason to think otherwise. They've looked pretty dominant (particularly on defense) the entire year. Plus zero losses.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Someone has to be ranked though. It's not as if they aren't gonna fill out 25 slots.

It's more CFB is down (IMO) comparatively as a whole when compared to past seasons.

Schiano is legit.

Glad I didn't watch the Rutgers game yesterday. I like Ash so far (but don't like some of his hires), but man coaching our slow ass team must be a complete shock for him.

I'm honestly not thrilled with Ash at all.

He lost a lot of support with his "commitment to OSU" and not reporting to RU ASAP.

Okurch needs to go.

Ash screwed the pooch with this staff, you don't form a coaching staff where the backbone of the offensive playcalls come from a 28 year old who never called plays at this level before. Mehringer should be no more than a WR or QB Coach. Ash has the defense under wraps, so even as much as I don't like Neimann, Ash can mask things.

Rutgers should have went cheap on the DC, and opened the coffers for a seasoned accomplished OC.

I lost interest in Ash and Mehringer for totally going back on what they promised not to do. They promised to take the players they had and meld their systems around them. They didn't at all.

You don't have an Offensive Line that returned 4/5 starters completely regress and only help register 4 rushing TDs down from 17 the year prior. Especially the lone bright spot of the OL was the one person who wasn't even playing last year (Tariq Cole).

Playing Seymour the last few weeks has been an unmitigated disaster, dude couldn't stop an old man with no legs from coming around the edge.

Meh... Ash just needs to stick around long enough for us to get our BIG PAYDAY.

Program is at rock bottom. Short of a major scandal, nowhere else to drop.

Top Bottom