• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

thefro

What if Penn State wins? They defeated osu. Also if Wiscy wins they accomplished something osu couldn't and that is defeat Penn state. Plus not like the Badgers loss was awful..lost in OT. Urbz is gonna write that check to make sure osu gets in.

OSU has one loss and wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Michigan.

Penn State has two losses (Pittsburgh & Michigan), and their only win over a top 25 team is OSU. They can beat Wisconsin the Big Ten title game and add that but they're still way behind resume-wise. I guess Iowa might sneak in the top 25.

jjasper

Oh FFS one of them managed to bring Trump into this.
Was it Albert Hayesworth?
@realDonaldTrump Can you make Tennessee football great again???

Anyway I googled Butch Jones and Purdue today and instead of finding rumors about this year I got taken back to 2012 and down a rabbit hole I didn't know existed. Basically I found out that I should have known he was a sleazy dude from the beginning.

But I guess the good news is that Houston is looking for life championships so maybe he can be their dude although they seem to hire good coaches that have a basic understanding of coaching a football game so I doubt it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
FSU beat Florida last night.

FSU isn't even great this year, but goes to show you just how bad the SEC is this year. Gata was supposed to be one of the better teams, and they got owned.

Also speaking of the SEC fucking South Cack is dumpster fire bad. I don't think fans ever fully appreciated what the OBC did there to make them competitive.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Glad WVU bounced back from the debacle vs Oklahoma last week. I was worried they'd tank the rest of the season, especially with Iowa St having momentum after blowing out Texas Tech last week.

Should be able to beat Baylor at home next week and nab our first 10 win regular season since 2007--not shabby as I was expecting 7-8 wins this year. Though to be fair TCU and Baylor being down, and Texas still not improving, helped a lot.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So there's always a coach at the end of the season, that usually performs alright but still gets sacked, any guesses?

I'm also interested to see what happens with Fedora at UNC and Doeren at NCSU, especially if he wins the bowl game. And I'm trying to figure out how to plant drugs in the offices of our defensive coordinators (all but the DL coach) so Cutcliffe will have no choice but to fire the. Seriously, the DC and DB coaches HAVE TO GO!!!!!!!!

Vanillalite

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Brian VanGorder assisting UGA defense in consulting role

Will the Dawgs bring back Richt, Bobo, and everyone else before it's all done?

Calion

I'm in the camp that strongly believes that if Alabama, Clemson, Washington, and B1G champ all win out, then the B1G champ is in the playoff. The Committee places an insane amount of weight on conference titles, and Bama-LSU 2011 is to blame for that.

11-2 Penn State B1G champ v. 11-1 Ohio State with a better SOS. Penn State barely gets that nod.

I'm starting to think that tOSU will definitely make the playoffs but the winner of the B1G champ game will NOT

Based on both resumes and dominance, here's my top 4 (assuming teams win next week)

1. Alabama
2. OSU (Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Nebraska - loss to Penn State)
3. Washington (Colorado, Utah, Stanford, Washington State, conference championship - loss to USC)
4. Clemson (Auburn, Louisville, Florida State, conference championship - loss to Pitt)
5. Wisconsin (LSU, Nebraska, Penn State - conference championship - 2 losses)
6. Michigan (Colorado, Penn State, Wisconsin - 2 losses)
7. Penn State (Ohio State, Wisconsin, conference championship - 2 losses)
8. USC (Washington, Colorado, Stanford - 3 losses)
9. Oklahoma (Oklahoma State, West Virginia, conference championship - 2 losses)

I'm in the camp that strongly believes that if Alabama, Clemson, Washington, and B1G champ all win out, then the B1G champ is in the playoff. The Committee places an insane amount of weight on conference titles, and Bama-LSU 2011 is to blame for that.

11-2 Penn State B1G champ v. 11-1 Ohio State with a better SOS. Penn State barely gets that nod.

If Penn State actually had a better resume than just a conference championship, I'd be on board, but they're just not that good a team. The Ohio State and potential Wisconsin wins would be great, but they've look pedestrian in too many other games. Just because it's the best conference doesn't mean that any out of 4 potential (as of two days ago) conference winners should automatically get in (Ohio Stage, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin).

Vanillalite

The key thing for Penn St isn't just the conference championship, but the one loss OSU has is to Penn State. So they have the direct head to head over OSU.

I was traveling so I got to listen to the game instead of watching...

... on a Seminole radio broadcast...

...and I didn't wreck the car and kill us all, but not for a lack of trying.

cashman

Banned
In crootin news, Baylor is back down to 1 commit in 2017. They've pretty much lost a whole season of recruiting this past year, and Chad Morris would only be able to raid his class at SMU at best. Baylor is gonna suck for a while guys.

In crootin news, Baylor is back down to 1 commit in 2017. They've pretty much lost a whole season of recruiting this past year, and Chad Morris would only be able to raid his class at SMU at best. Baylor is gonna suck for a while guys.

Hey maybe in 2 years, they'll be in the playoff hunt and conference championship race like PSU anyway!

Gorillaz

So after CFBgaf's favorite, Ohio state, won yesturday how much fuckery will this playoff bracket bring us now?

After drinking for 11 hours straight yesturday, I had some clarity this morning and realized someone is about to get fucked in these rankings. Someone is about to be told there last minute win or division wins don't mean shit.

This is the fuckery that we all secretly like tho right? this is what keeps the earth turning and gives us hope for the weekend games right.

So after CFBgaf's favorite, Ohio state, won yesturday how much fuckery will this playoff bracket bring us now?

After drinking for 11 hours straight yesturday, I had some clarity this morning and realized someone is about to get fucked in these rankings. Someone is about to be told there last minute win or division wins don't mean shit.

This is the fuckery that we all secretly like tho right? this is what keeps the earth turning and gives us hope for the weekend games right.

Hopefully it's penn st and it will be justic for the NCAA being chicken shit

Gorillaz

Hopefully it's penn st and it will be justic for the NCAA being chicken shit

That would mean the big 10 title game ain't worth shit right now then? I can't see them put both OSU and the winner up there like that. I guess maybe putting the winner of the big 10 in another bowl game would be good enough middle ground. I can't see them just put penn st up there. That game still has me disgusted breh.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. B1G championship winner

I know that Ohio State will probably make it in, but then what is the point of playing in a conference championship game? It loses all credibility. It's why I've supported an 8 team playoff. Numbers 1-5 are Power 5 champions, and 3 at large teams.

Slurmer

Banned

Yeah theyre basically still covering up that mistake lol.

I agree with you, as long as OSU is the B1G champ. OSU is probably only going to get in if one of the three (non-Alabama) teams lose. The committee is not going to want to have to explain why the conference championship is suddenly less important in this case.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington

I know that Ohio State will probably make it in, but then what is the point of playing in a conference championship game? It loses all credibility. It's why I've supported an 8 team playoff. Numbers 1-5 are Power 5 champions, and 3 at large teams.

Let's not act like a non conf champion making a championship game is a new concept for college football

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington

If the conferences are equal that is true....but they sure as shit aren't.

#FAU has fired head coach Charlie Partridge. Expect #OhioState co-DC Luke Fickell is get strong consideration for the vacancy.
Well Urban.. if Luke goes...

Go get Charlie to replace him? I don't know if I like that..

However if he wants to replace Beck with.. Sterlin Gilbert or Major Applewhite maybe? I wouldn't necessarily be opposed

Well Urban.. if Luke goes...

Go get Charlie to replace him? I don't know if I like that..

However if he wants to replace Beck with.. Sterlin Gilbert or Major Applewhite maybe? I wouldn't necessarily be opposed

I would take Strong in a hearbeat I also don't see Schiano staying longer than one more year. He was a great DC under Urban before he can be again but let's be honest he will probably get a HC gig somewhere.

Just because it's happened before doesn't mean it isn't dumb :p

So basically what teams should be doing at this point is playing scrub ass ooc teams right? Because if conference champs are just what the committee is going to choose at the end then what is the point of flirting with a loss if the win doesn't mean shit. While I won't be mad if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff just because a team wins a conference doesn't mean they should automatically be in. The point of the playoff was the 4 best teams not the 4 best conf. champs.

Ourobolus

Banned
Whew what a season. I was hoping for a winning record, going to the B1G CCG wasn't on my radar at all.

No delusions here that PSU goes to the playoffs though. That would require a ton of chaos, like Colorado beating Washington and VA Tech upsetting Clemson (and of course, PSU beating Wisc). Barring any bullshittery: Bama, Clemson, OSU, Washington.

Still, a great season - looking forward to further seeing what McSorley, Barkeley, and Godwin can do.

I would take Strong in a hearbeat I also don't see Schiano staying longer than one more year. He was a great DC under Urban before he can be again but let's be honest he will probably get a HC gig somewhere.
All three hit the one thing Urban gets from Beck.. able to help recruit Texas which looks to be what Urban wants to set up a pipeline in much like they have in Georgia/Florida which is a smart strategy.

I'm hoping they do to Tim what they did to Everett Withers and just nudge him out the door. (Everett was good.. he just wasn't great.. Chris was a godsend and his scheme was a lot better compared to Everett's)

Get Sterlin or Major to take Tim's chair next to Ed and get Charlie and Greg to run the defense..

FSU isn't even great this year, but goes to show you just how bad the SEC is this year. Gata was supposed to be one of the better teams, and they got owned.

Also speaking of the SEC fucking South Cack is dumpster fire bad. I don't think fans ever fully appreciated what the OBC did there to make them competitive.

Didn't the second best ACC team just lose to Kentucky?

The SEC's certainly down this year, but that's just relative to its dominance the past couple of seasons. It's objectively no worse than any Power 5 conference not named the B1G this year.

Didn't the second best ACC team just lose to Kentucky?

The SEC's certainly down this year, but that's just relative to its dominance the past couple of seasons. It's objectively no worse than any Power 5 conference not named the B1G this year.

B10 >>>
P12
ACC
SEC
B12

IMO... P12 was behind for awhile,but the stumbling of the other conferences the past 2-3 weeks is pretty remarkable.

cdyhybrid

So basically what teams should be doing at this point is playing scrub ass ooc teams right? Because if conference champs are just what the committee is going to choose at the end then what is the point of flirting with a loss if the win doesn't mean shit. While I won't be mad if Ohio State doesn't make the playoff just because a team wins a conference doesn't mean they should automatically be in. The point of the playoff was the 4 best teams not the 4 best conf. champs.

Yes, that's exactly what they should be doing.

Limiting the playoffs to four teams punishes losses so much that you're better off scheduling nobodies.

Expanding the playoffs to 8 and providing guaranteed berths for each P5 champ ensures that teams still have a way to get in even if they schedule aggressively in their out-of-conference schedule. And the more difficult schedule will look good for those at-large spots.

The point of the playoff was the 4 best teams not the 4 best conf. champs.

On what planet? They pretty much started after the outcry following the Bama/LSU title game. Plenty of AD's and conference commissioners are on record stating they wanted emphasis placed on conference champions. I don't really know where all this "it's always been about the 4 best teams" talk started.

Yes, that's exactly what they should be doing.

Limiting the playoffs to four teams punishes losses so much that you're better off scheduling nobodies.

Expanding the playoffs to 8 and providing guaranteed berths for each P5 champ ensures that teams still have a way to get in even if they schedule aggressively in their out-of-conference schedule. And the more difficult schedule will look good for those at-large spots.

The problem then is the fact that the committee has spouted off continuously about strength of schedule more importantly the ooc schedule so if they aren't going to take it into consideration they need to stop acting like it's important....they say one thing and do another.

On what planet? They pretty much started after the outcry following the Bama/LSU title game. Plenty of AD's and conference commissioners are on record stating they wanted emphasis placed on conference champions. I don't really know where all this "it's always been about the 4 best teams" talk started.

The committee's mission statement is 4 best teams not 4 most deserving

Calion

If Penn State actually had a better resume than just a conference championship, I'd be on board, but they're just not that good a team. The Ohio State and potential Wisconsin wins would be great, but they've look pedestrian in too many other games. Just because it's the best conference doesn't mean that any out of 4 potential (as of two days ago) conference winners should automatically get in (Ohio Stage, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin).

A 3-9 MSU and a 6-6 Northwestern team were 2 and 5 points away from beating OSU, so don't give me this pedestrian team crap. Is Ohio State better than PSU? Yes. However, the Committee places the highest amount of weight on Conference Championships (You can blame Bama-LSU 2011 on that one). That's why TCU dropped from #3 to #6 in one week in 2014 and got knocked out of the playoff.

If PSU wins out, it will have as many wins as OSU, have a weaker SOS, but win its conference title in the best conference. Do I agree with it? Eh, not really. but that's the rules.

A 3-9 MSU and a 6-6 Northwestern team were 2 and 5 points away from beating OSU, so don't give me this pedestrian team crap. Is Ohio State better than PSU? Yes. However, the Committee places the highest amount of weight on Conference Championships (You can blame Bama-LSU 2011 on that one). That's why TCU dropped from #3 to #6 in one week in 2014 and got knocked out of the playoff.

If PSU wins out, it will have as many wins as OSU, have a weaker SOS, but win its conference title. Do I agree with it? Eh, not really. but that's the rules.

They literally don't ,have said multiple times it is not weighed any higher than the others

If PSU wins out, it will have as many wins as OSU, have a weaker SOS, but win its conference title. Do I agree with it? Eh, not really. but that's the rules.

OSU leapfrogging Baylor and TCU probably had more to do with how they won not that they won. If they had won by a point I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor goes instead. Also Penn State should absolutely go ahead of Ohio State if they win and it really shouldn't be a discussion. The discussion is Wisconsin who lost to them and Washington who played an ooc of 127/128 teams.

cdyhybrid

The problem then is the fact that the committee has spouted off continuously about strength of schedule more importantly the ooc schedule so if they aren't going to take it into consideration they need to stop acting like it's important....they say one thing and do another.

If only there were a way we could just have all these teams play each other and figure it out on the field instead of leaving it up to a committee!

Jamesways

Penn State beating Wisc is not a foregone conclusion. They still need to play the game.

Everyone here seems to think it's already over.

So, OSU goes to playoff, who gets the Roae Bowl. Think they would take Mich over Wisc/Penn State?

Top Bottom