• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

cdyhybrid

It would be the same thing as the spread, I think. Might catch them once or twice but Saban would adjust his scheme to beat it. He'd press the receivers at the line and force pressure with their superior DL athletes.

The core problem is still that Bama has better players and better coaches.

UW beat Wazzu by primarily rushing three and blanketing every receiver with the 8 in coverage every play. Bama would be able to cover just as well and would probably get even more pressure with the three they would be rushing.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It would be the same thing as the spread, I think. Might catch them once or twice but Saban would adjust his scheme to beat it. He'd press the receivers at the line and force pressure with their superior DL athletes.

The core problem is still that Bama has better players and better coaches.

UW beat Wazzu by primarily rushing three and blanketing every receiver with the 8 in coverage every play. Bama would be able to cover just as well and would probably get even more pressure with the three they would be rushing.
We don't have the DB depth to drop 8 in coverage. We had to play a walk-on, Levi Wallace, on Saturday after Marlon Humphrey left with an injury.

Question gaf, how big of difference if any would be if Bama played USC now instead of the first game?

Eh. The final score isn't 52-6, but I'm confident we still win by anywhere between 10 and 20 points.

The good news is that there's some good, young QB talent in the conference that will pay off in a year or two:

This. Comparing Jalen Hurts stats this season to Lamar's last year make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As for playoffs, I think 6 is actually the best number. I'm not convinced a 7th or 8th team really has a claim to compete for the playoffs at the end of the season.

If it is 6, it allows for the 5 P5 conference champs (not that there would be an autobid), and a wildcard. But of course if one of the conferences is weak and their champ just is ranked low and out of the top 6, then that opens up another slot.

Treat the format like the NFL conference playoffs. Top two get a bye, and it goes from there. Use the big bowls as rotating regional sites - unless Rose continues to be fucks. Just leave them out at that point. They can get Big 10/Pac 12 leftovers every season.

But Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton, and Peach can all be in the mix to rotate the regional games and host the championship.

This puts more stress on the rankings as it matters a helluva lot who's #2 and who's #3 even if your parsing hairs as top 2 get a bye.

If you go to 8 then you eliminate the pain point as everyone has to play.

Vanillalite

It's year one of Kirby. They're #3 in recruiting right now behind Bama and tOSU. That's not bad for his first full year recruiting. As far as staffing goes, it started expanding when Pruitt came and has continued to expand under Kirby.

Things are improving but nobody is going to reinvent what Bama has in one season.

While #3 is fantastic it's not like y'all haven't been top 10 for the last years ie forever.

The recruitment gulf between UGA and GT is massive, but we've won 2 out of the last 3 years. This is despite Mark Bradley's comment about our 80th ranked recruiting class.

Jombie

Is that up for discussion? I can see the argument of a 1 loss OSU over a 1 loss UW team, but a 2 loss team that is not in the champ game? Might as well burn down the CFP at the point.

Some of the pundits are suggesting Michigan could still make it in, which would be bullshit.

andycapps

While #3 is fantastic it's not like y'all haven't been top 10 for the last years ie forever.

The recruitment gulf between UGA and GT is massive, but we've won 2 out of the last 3 years. This is despite Mark Bradley's comment about our 80th ranked recruiting class.
The difference between 8-10 where normally are is 2-3 conference teams ahead of us. Where do we usually end up in the conference? Runner up in the East lately.

What happened this year happened, but it was a game UGA should have won. Hell the 2014 game was Richt's brilliant decision to squib kick at the end that led to a short field and the GT win.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the pundits are suggesting Michigan could still make it in, which would be bullshit.

Michigan should be out regardless. Should be

Bama (if they win, possibly even if they don't)
Clemson (if they win)
Washington (if they win)
B1G champ or OSU

If one of Clemson or Washington lose, B1G champ + OSU probably get in. If both lose, the last spot may go to the B12 for OU or Gondo State.

Just not enough possible chaos left for Michigan to get in. They only get in if there are 3 B1G teams, and there is no way that happens.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Cheeto, does Wyoming got their conference title locked up yet? Or do they still have to defeat Boise St?

no, they must play SDSU again.

Wyoming was higher ranked by their computer formulas so they host the game.

Wyoming narrowly beat SDSU just last week in Laramie, now they have to play them again.

SDSU is favored by 7.5

no, they must play SDSU again.

Wyoming was higher ranked by their computer formulas so they host the game.

Wyoming narrowly beat SDSU just last week in Laramie, now they have to play them again.

SDSU is favored by 7.5

Going to be a great game. SDSU went for two at the end of that game ala Mich St and failed.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
qrZRI0b.png

Miggytronz

Michigan should be out regardless. Should be

Bama (if they win, possibly even if they don't)
Clemson (if they win)
Washington (if they win)
B1G champ or OSU

If one of Clemson or Washington lose, B1G champ + OSU probably get in. If both lose, the last spot may go to the B12 for OU or Gondo State.

Just not enough possible chaos left for Michigan to get in. They only get in if there are 3 B1G teams, and there is no way that happens.

OSU is a lock at #2.

As posted earlier in this thread...forget who did.

"This is assuming U Dub and/or Clemson loses. In which case, the proposed 4 in would be:

-Alabama
-tOSU
-UDub | Clemson (whichever team did not lose)
-Michigan

If they BOTH lose, then we could have:

-Alabama
-tOSU
-Michigan
-Colorado/B1G champ"

Basically what Mike and Mike were ranting about this morning during their show. At the end of the day though nobody know wtf the committee is going to do.

tebunker

Banned
It's year one of Kirby. They're #3 in recruiting right now behind Bama and tOSU. That's not bad for his first full year recruiting. As far as staffing goes, it started expanding when Pruitt came and has continued to expand under Kirby.

Things are improving but nobody is going to reinvent what Bama has in one season.

No, I completely agree, however, talking with my brother, equal UGA fan to yourself, he talks a lot of fans expecting amazing results with Richt's players. Yall played a lot of freshman, and are in the process of getting processed. Bama was blah year one under Saban too.

As long as the admin and school stays with the system and is willing to build out the infrastructure UGA could theoretically be a long standing power in the east. No more, "Remember 1980? Yeah man, Herschel could still play today."

andycapps

No, I completely agree, however, talking with my brother, equal UGA fan to yourself, he talks a lot of fans expecting amazing results with Richt's players. Yall played a lot of freshman, and are in the process of getting processed. Bama was blah year one under Saban too.

As long as the admin and school stays with the system and is willing to build out the infrastructure UGA could theoretically be a long standing power in the east. No more, "Remember 1980? Yeah man, Herschel could still play today."

Oh I gotcha. I completely agree. Yes, ton of freshmen played this year.

Fan expectations were probably a bit out of line this year, though this team easily could have had 10 wins. Tennessee was on a hail mary, Vandy end of the game, and Tech as well. 7-5 was also reasonable. Really could have been worse because we didn't put many teams away. Product of an OL they had to scheme around shortcomings and a freshman QB. Our OC actually told the SECN sideline reporter before the game the other day that they took out most of the playbook by the end of the season because nothing was working with their personnel. They just don't have the people there to do what they want, which was to maul teams up front on the DL. Can't maul them with guys that are averaging 6'2" and 300 pounds. As the season progressed our OL started looking a little better, which was because they went to more of a zone-blocking scheme, which Richt offenses tended to feature and what they were recruited for. But really, OL recruiting was an afterthought for Richt for a decade. He cared more about the skill positions, being a former OC I guess.

Legit surprised that LSU settled for Ed Orgeron.

I think the Aranda deal loomed large over it. It seems questionable that he'd stay if there was another shift given how attractive he'd be to most programs.

Speaking of former Aggies, wonder if Todd Orlando is going to Texas following Herman now or if Houston will keep him around as HC. I think Houston might go bigger but Orlando is a totally legit hire.

Jeff Tedford at Fresno State? Should be interesting.

You can win 8+ games overall in a season whe you are in the MWC West division with a 100-rank recruiting class and solid coaching. Fresno's been missing the latter for years but they can get it back on track.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Helton seems to be doing fine this year, and I'm in the camp that thinks Orgeron might work out too.

I think Orgeron could regularly get 9-10 win seasons with the occasional better or worse one. So about the same as LSU under Miles recently. I doubt that will be enough though, LSU craves championships.

Kevtones

haha oh Purdue thought they would get him

They still might but I think Oregon wants to take a risk this time. Mullens went East with Dana Altman with the bball program and it looks to be one of the best hires in the sport in recent memory.

Put your money on:

PJ Fleck
Gary Patterson
Les Miles
Chip Kelly

Or we'll end up Lane Kiffin or Jerry Glanville.

Eh, USC settled for Helton, this is nothing compared to that.

I remember a Monday morning earlier this fall when Keyshawn, George and LZ were seriously debating the possibility of letting Helton go at 1-2 (prior to the Utah loss). Love this fickle-ass town sometimes.

PJ Fleck would be a great fit for Houston and vice versa. The AAC is a great conference for up and coming coaches who are looking to take the next big step in their career while not taking the immediate leap from mid major to P5 that could kill their career should they fail.

cdyhybrid

I remember a Monday morning earlier this fall when Keyshawn, George and LZ were seriously debating the possibility of letting Helton go at 1-2 (prior to the Utah loss). Love this fickle-ass town sometimes.

To be fair, if Darnold didn't turn out to be a star he'd probably be gone already.

Vanillalite

USC should be an eternal top 10 team, and they aren't so I understand why their fanbase is jumpy.

They have legacy, a ton of previously great players, flush with cash, in a market with a gazillion fucking people, top notch weather ect...

In So Cal the land of 20-30 million people no reason USC shouldn't be able to get all kinds of good players. Plus So Cal has good weather so kids can play sports year around.

Top Bottom