• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

The way this whole situation reads to me is that LSU thinks that Orgeron+Kiffin+Aranda for a total of about $6-7 million a year is a better option than however much they'd have to pay Herman to keep him from Texas.

They must be pretty confident that Kiffin will go.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Paul Finebaum just said this will be a "popular" hire. LOL Paul.
Sadly this is accurate. People down here are dumb as shit and were pining to keep O.

@RossDellenger
9m
#LSU confident they'll now keep Dave Aranda w/plans to promote him & give him a significant contract boost

We'll see....

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Seems like Orgeron is a pretty good coach and players seem to like him, but I'm guessing he's not a great recruiter. And I guess its hard to be excited about the guy who has been a temp coach everywhere? Who took over for Bama when Shula was dismissed?

Seems like Orgeron is a pretty good coach and players seem to like him, but I'm guessing he's not a great recruiter. And I guess its hard to be excited about the guy who has been a temp coach everywhere? Who took over for Bama when Shula was dismissed?

He's a fantastic recruiter actually. One of the main reasons he had a job at LSU in the first place.

So Chris Lowe is saying its Sark and not Kiffin to LSU....

What the hell is going on here?

Everything burns.

Recruiting might be the one positive.

tebunker

Banned

He's a solid recruiter, hell he got guys to to commit to the Viles at UTk but the landscape has changed and there are better people recruiting for other teams and he has a lot of baggage to use against him.

Sadly this is accurate. People down here are dumb as shit and were pining to keep O.

@RossDellenger
9m
#LSU confident they'll now keep Dave Aranda w/plans to promote him & give him a significant contract boost

We'll see....
Note to self
Develop a Cajun accent and I can get hired as head coach of LSU

Well he is in Tuscaloosa, so technically your are correct.

Bama is not gonna lose an SEC game again for as long as Saban coaches there, huh? What a garbage conference.
Especially if Auburn decides to fire Gus.. at the moment.. I would say he's the second best coach in the conference I think.. that's a scary thought

Bama shouldn't lose unless they choke against someone..

This whole thing reeks of Orgeron telling Alleva he could get a coach from Bama and Alleva going "oooooo really?" and hiring him for it because Bama is good guys and if we can get one of those coaches we'll be good too.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
This whole thing reeks of Orgeron telling Alleva he could get a coach from Bama and Alleva going "oooooo really?" and hiring him for it because Bama is good guys and if we can get one of those coaches we'll be good too.
Oh, no doubt Alleva's dumbass believed everything O sold him in their meeting.

Ed: "I can hire a Bama coach.."
Alleva: really? Well you're hired.. who?
Ed: Avery Johnson
Alleva: Fuck

jjasper

He's a solid recruiter, hell he got guys to to commit to the Viles at UTk but the landscape has changed and there are better people recruiting for other teams and he has a lot of baggage to use against him.
Getting kids to Tennessee isn't really a huge accomplishment.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

What does he have going against him? I know he wasn't considered for the USC job even though he turned around that shit show. I know he took over Ole Miss after Cutcliffe but they hired Nutt instead of Orgeron. I've always been curious why he wouldn't stick somewhere.

tebunker

Banned
Getting kids to Tennessee isn't really a huge accomplishment.

Yeah for all the shit the Tennessee name has been dragged through recently, they are still a blue blood.

For a first time CFB Hc and a failed sec Hc, on top of the shit show Fulmer left them?

Yeah it has pull in a part of the country but they were pulling guys from across the country that Fulmer never had a shot with.

If Kiffin had stayed he would have had more success there than he did at USC. He jumped to early, and left UTk in a shamble.

It may be a blue blood, but it still takes a good recruiter to get people to choose Knoxville over many college towns. Too many kids will just choose a place like Florida or Texas or LA to play if they can. It takes a good recruiter to get kids to come to a Knoxville or Tuscaloosa. The pedigree of school only plays a small part these days.

What does he have going against him? I know he wasn't considered for the USC job even though he turned around that shit show. I know he took over Ole Miss after Cutcliffe but they hired Nutt instead of Orgeron. I've always been curious why he wouldn't stick somewhere.

He failed at Ole Miss, they fired him. I mean he was legit bad. I guess the boosters weren't as willing to spend then like they were the other year.

He's bounced around a lot and that will be used against him. He's never shown he can develop the talent he recruits. Etc. It is a much different SEC now than 10 years ago.

andycapps

This story coming up on Devon Gales is pretty cool. Kid has been through a lot. But it's cool to see how much UGA has helped him and the family since then.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
IS6xcqC.gif

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Woah guys, Orgeron brought a binder to their meeting. No wonder Alleva hired him.

Ross Dellenger
2h2 hours ago
Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger
Ed Orgeron "blew away" #LSU decision-makers in a meeting Friday.

He brought with him a massive binder detailing long-term plans.

HeySeuss

Traditional bottom tier? What? Only Bama has a richer tradition in the SEC

They have 5 SEC titles since 1970. Sure they have the second highest title count at 12, but most of those were pre-1960.

They haven't been relevant in a long long time. By that logic you must consider Minnesota a blue blood since they have the 3rd highest big ten titles.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The real issue with Kiffin is that he has 3 more games left, maybe 4.

So you can't really announce it, and/or it'd be tricky to have him working both jobs so does he leave Alabama before the playoff?

Slo

This is a "not get fired" move by the AD. Hire a popular coach for cheap rather than risk $6M/per on an up and comer.

tebunker

Banned
@Rollbamaroll said:
Roll Bama Roll‏ @rollbamaroll
If you believe in your guy, you pay him despite his experience: Les Miles had three year HC experience and went 8–5, 9–4, and 7–5 at Ok. St.

RBR gets it right. You have to put your stick jn the ground and go with the beat choice. Herman is a better coach than Ed. Period. They shouldn't have balked at the money and they should've used it as a fund raising moment to get enough to keep Aranda. They better hope Coach O's plan plays out.

Also they followed it up with this which I believe too;

If LSU was not going to pay fair market value for a red hot HC, you have no reason to believe LSU would pay $1.4-$1.6m for Lane Kiffin.

andycapps

They have 16 Conference Championships, 2nd most SEC wins(behind only Bama), 6 National Championships and are ranked 8th on all time victories list
Over the past 30-40 years Tennessee is not a blue blood. Bottom tier in SEC they're not, but top tier in the SEC? Let's ask jjasper if he agrees.

Nebraska is #4 on that list. Are we going to call them a blue blood? What happened 40-100 years ago doesn't matter for more than this. E-penis size over how many wins you had in leather helmet days.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Tennessee hasn't been a top tier program in the SEC since they fired Fulmer (the best coach of their modern times).

jfkgoblue

Over the past 30-40 years Tennessee is not a blue blood. Bottom tier in SEC they're not, but top tier in the SEC? Let's ask jjasper if he agrees.

Nebraska is #4 on that list. Are we going to call them a blue blood? What happened 40-100 years ago doesn't matter for more than this. E-penis size over how many wins you had in leather helmet days.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Tennessee hasn't been a top tier program in the SEC since they fired Fulmer (the best coach of their modern times).

I have never seen anyone argue that Nebraska wasn't a blue blood(until now) They had a span in the 90's when they lost 3 games in 5 years ffs

Historical success is the number one criteria to achieve blue blood status

jjasper

Tennessee can be a blueblood and be shit tier for 10 years. Not sure why you can't be both?

For the record I do think Tennessee is one but could see an argument against them depending how many teams you wanted to list.

andycapps

I think we're getting into offseason CFB talk here. I'd be interested in everyone's definition of a blue blood in CFB. Maybe that's a good podcast question.

jfkgoblue

I think we're getting into offseason CFB talk here. I'd be interested in everyone's definition of a blue blood in CFB. Maybe that's a good podcast question.

IMO its the top 10 teams in all time wins, that shows consistent success, or especially good success at one time

HeySeuss

Yeah let's get back to the topic at hand. The winner of OSU/Michigan being the team to lose against a much superior Bama team in the playoffs.

squicken

When Stoops took over at OU those first few years he was beating the rest of the Big 12 by some big numbers. I think Herman is going to be doing that at UT. He'll be able to recruit defense and have the first decent defense the Big 12 has seen in 8 years

Top Bottom