• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

Lethal01

sure i understand that hype and dissapointment come hand in hand. people expected the best game in history and got tw3 with guns. but people talk about the game like the game is a steaming piece of shit because npcs are braindead. and nobody can play that game and honestly say that when you compare it to other games of the same genre. i understand that it may not be your favourite but cmon...

I really didn't expect anything that would make it some holy, better than anything ever game. I feel like pretty much every element of the game is just mediocre compared to other AAA games. The AI is especially bad but the combat is also meh as is the traversal, stealth and a ton of other elements.

The visuals of the City however are definitely fantastic and I can say that it's the one area where it's clearly ahead of the competition. But that's not enough to make it a good game.

Last edited:
I really didn't expect anything that would make it some holy, better than anything ever game. I feel like pretty much every element of the game is just mediocre compared to other AAA games. The AI is especially bad but the combat is also meh as is the traversal, stealth and a ton of other elements.

The visuals of the City however are definitely fantastic and I can say that it's the one area where it's clearly ahead of the competition. But that's not enough to make it a good game.

I'm sure we've been playing most of the same games my guy, and no way are other AAA games especially RPG's making cyberpunks quests look "mediocre" which game are you comparing it to? please tell me.

which first person RPG is even having an animation for stealth kills or the ability to dump the bodies in the trash, and the A.I. detecting that? bethesda games? LOL

which first person RPG is mechanically giving you a slide a double jump, and gunplay that doesn't feel stiff, and has weapon variation that goes from shooting around corners to a sentient gun that talks to you

Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2020-12-19-19-19-44-56.png

please give me this magical game, especially RPG, you are playing that makes this game look mediocre.

you are acting like the games you are playing are THAT good. they aren't.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just updated Steam version to 1.05. I don’t notice much difference in the areas I was struggling in. I just have to sell this R5 1600 and get something like 3600. I had already installed an unofficial SMT patch and even before that I might have done another. My multithreaded usage was fine since way back then.

I really hope to get a R5 3600 and RTX 3070 soon. Probably another 16GB RAM, too. Not this year though. Time to shell out for Christmas like Clark Griswald.

P.S.- I still have the debug menu.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I'm sure we've been playing most of the same games my guy, and no way are other AAA games especially RPG's making cyberpunks quests look "mediocre" which game are you comparing it to? please tell me.

which first person RPG is even having an animation for stealth kills or the ability to dump the bodies in the trash, and the A.I. detecting that? bethesda games? LOL

which first person RPG is mechanically giving you a slide a double jump, and gunplay that doesn't feel stiff, and has weapon variation that goes from shooting around corners to a sentient gun that talks to you

Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2020-12-19-19-19-44-56.png

please give me this magical game, especially RPG, you are playing that makes this game look mediocre.

you are acting like the games you are playing are THAT good. they aren't.

Why would I limit myself to first person RPGs?
Doom, Apex Legends, Shadow warrior.
Splintercell, Metal Gear, hitman etc have better stealth.
Witcher 3 has better quests.

Like I said, it's mediocre in everything it tries to do (except the story, talking gameplay). Every element has dozens of games that do it better.

Last edited:

because thats what it fucking is??? wtf holy shit lol.

thus specific genre's have specific expectations???

hence notice how you had to take individual aspects from different games in different genre's like combat and stealth games to compare it to an RPG.

thats a testament to how good cyberpunk is, because you wouldn't dare compare fucking doom combat with fallout or outerworlds, or metal gear with Skyrim stealth. that was a reallly bad take from you, if anything it's an argument for cyberpunk that you even had to do that.

and yes, the only game fucking with CP's quests is the witcher 3. and some of cyberpunks quests are actually better, while some of witchers side quests are better. thus this game has the best quests SINCE the witcher 3, so that should tell you, that CDPR didn't magically forget how to do fucking quests lol

Last edited:

Like I said, it's mediocre in everything it tries to do (except the story, talking gameplay). Every element has dozens of games that do it better.

it's the sum of it's parts, you can make that same argument for the witcher 3 or elder scrolls, even the souls games.

notice that elder scrolls doesn't have dishonored/dark messiah combat

souls doesn't have DMC 3 mechanics

and witcher 3 doesn't have god of war ps4 mechanics

because it's prioritizing entirely differnet things.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you. know your games. how old are you man?

harmny

Banned

bait post. forza horizon has better driving too i guess

Last edited:
these kids are doing mental gymnastics to make this game bad. funny enough, the logical argument is that the game is good. because the logical argument will verify the title against it's peers.

but you see these...mental hoops people are jumping through to avoid comparing the game to it's direct peers. because they KNOW it's better than those games.

Lethal01

because thats what it fucking is??? wtf holy shit lol.

thus specific genre's have specific expectations???

hence notice how you had to take individual aspects from different games in different genre's like combat and stealth games to compare it to an RPG.

thats a testament to how good cyberpunk is, because you wouldn't dare compare fucking doom combat with fallout or outerworlds, or metal gear with Skyrim stealth. that was a reallly bad take from you, if anything it's an argument for cyberpunk that you even had to do that.

Nah, the mediocre shooting doesn't suddenly start being fun because it's in a genre that usually has mediocre Shooting. Cyberpunk combat and stealth get surpassed by indie games. Going "BUT IT'S AN RPGGGGG" doesn't change that it's just not good.

Lethal01

it's the sum of it's parts, you can make that same argument for the witcher 3 or elder scrolls, even the souls games.

notice that elder scrolls doesn't have dishonored/dark messiah combat

souls doesn't have DMC 3 mechanics

and witcher 3 doesn't have god of war ps4 mechanics

because it's prioritizing entirely differnet things.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you. know your games. how old are you man?

When you add a bunch of gameplay elements as mediocre as those in CP2077 you end up with a mediocre game. If the combat sucks the fact that the game also has stealth that sucks and driving that sucks doesn't suddenly make it better. You can't just throw a bunch of trash together and call it good.

Nah, the mediocre shooting doesn't suddenly start being fun because it's in a genre that usually has mediocre Shooting. Cyberpunk combat and stealth get surpassed by indie games. Going "BUT IT'S AN RPGGGGG" doesn't change that it's just not good.

actually it is pretty damn good. and yes especailly considering everything else it's offering. we already said it's quests were better than it's counter parts. so are you saying every other RPG is trash too?

are you saying souls is trash because it's mechanics aren't as good as say...bayonetta or DMC?

are you acknowledging that bethesda games and deus ex etc are trash because their combat doesn't remotely compare to CP? and the former can't even compete in the RPG sense.

see, people liek you don't know shit about games. I feel like i'm arguing with some bro at work who kinda casual. but you...you had the conceit to make a neogaf account and speak on this shit.

the romance option for straight Male V is pretty underwhelming compared to the options of the Witcher 3. i wonder what they plan on adding for the DLC but it seems like they have a long road left before this game even feels complete in content.

When you add a bunch of gameplay elements as mediocre as those in CP2077 you end up with a mediocre game. If the combat sucks the fact that the game also has stealth that sucks and driving that sucks doesn't suddenly make it better. You can't just throw a bunch of trash together and call it good.

So does that apply to fallout? and the witcher 3? and skyrim? and souls?

Last edited:

Komatsu

the romance option for straight Male V is pretty underwhelming compared to the options of the Witcher 3. i wonder what they plan on adding for the DLC but it seems like they have a long road left before this game even feels complete in content.

I really wish Judy was available as a romantic option for male characters but I respect their commitment to not taking the easy way out.

If the Witcher 3 is any indication, we may get more romantic/hookup options in upcoming DLCs. Hearts of Stone brought back Shani, after all.

Need for speed games from 2001 have better driving.

source.gif

I really wish Judy was available as a romantic option for male characters but I respect their commitment to not taking the easy way out.

If the Witcher 3 is any indication, we may get more romantic/hookup options in upcoming DLCs. Hearts of Stone brought back Shani, after all.

source.gif

dude is too stupid for this game. I hate people lol

letal let me ask you this, did you enjoy the witcher 3? did you enjoy skyrim?

Last edited:

Lethal01

So does that apply to fallout? and the witcher 3? and skyrim? and souls?
Ofcourse it does, WItcher didn't get a pass on it's combat just because it was an RPG, I acknowledged that it was bad.
I'm sorry that you have to imagine that you play more games than me just because you can't handle the truth.

This game isn't "intelligent" It's a bloated mess. There are a dozen AA or indie game that does every element of it's gameplay better.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. driving in this game is garbo. 2005 level at most.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Went back to my last save to try different ending choices, has anyone exhausted the options?

I've tried the suicide (pretty much a cop out ending since you don't get any climax whatsoever, might as well have it as a choice throughout the whole game, lol).

I've tried going with Hanako's deal as V all alone (no help) then deciding to live and not become a construct.

I've tried going to Arasaka as Johnny with Rogue (can she be saved if you choose a different plan with more mercs for help or whatever?) then deciding to let V live the rest of his days.

I've not yet tried going as V but with allies (my gal is Panam so I'd be going with the alpadajhsfjhdfj nomads if choosing this, does it depend on who you've romanced or are they all you can get regardless?). Or going as Johnny then taking over V's body or as V choosing to live as a construct.

Some of the choices take way too long to unfold for little pay off so I'm not sure if it's worth going back to try everything else. Have I missed any other big potential choices worth checking out?

Do any actually give you a different option to go back to Night City and carry on playing past the ending instead of going back to your last open world save before any of the choices?

Last edited:

Komatsu

Do any actually give you a different option to go back to Night City and carry on playing past the ending instead of going back to your last open world save before any of the choices?

No, not at the moment. There have been rumblings on the CDPR forums about postgame content being one of the thing to be included in the upcoming free DLCs.

Ofcourse it does, WItcher didn't get a pass on it's combat just because it was an RPG, I acknowledged that it was bad.
I'm sorry that you have to imagine that you play more games than me just because you can't handle the truth.

This game isn't "intelligent" It's a bloated mess. There are a dozen AA or indie game that does every element of it's gameplay better.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. driving in this game is garbo. 2005 level at most.

tired of this, gonna get down to the root of this shit.

did you enjoy the witcher 3 and did you enjoy skyrim

and which indie game, list it. list the game that should make me put down cyberpunk, i'll look up gameplay of it. then I'll post it here for everyone else to see. it must be good. I'm excited please name the game.

and make sure it offers everything else cyberpunk does too. im looking for an RPG

Last edited:

Loostreaks

Nothing "meh" about this game's gunplay, and combat in general. What you are doing is cherrypicking examples from games that heavily specialize in single area. MGSV, for example, is praised for it's gameplay, even if it doesn't come with best stealth, melee, or gunplay, or AI.
Rpgs in general do not have super refined single aspect of design, but more than make up for it with width and depth of overall experience you get: typically more than sum of it's parts.
Doom Eternal is pretty much just hour after hour of run&gun. Forza with driving.
Cyberpunk excells at world design, world building, story, quests/mission design, characters and dialogue, music, ambiance, art direction. That on top of that has a ton of character build options, progression systems And excellent gunplay ( that puts many straight FPS to shame), is pretty damn impressive.

Alexios

No, not at the moment. There have been rumblings on the CDPR forums about postgame content being one of the thing to be included in the upcoming free DLCs.
MEh, I'd think you get that as Johnny (absurd as it is, they messed up that explanation) given Alt says he won't have issues unlike V and they should let you play even as V, doing stuff until he dies, nobody will play for real time 6 months (and in any case winter will never come to Night City so in the lore it won't be his time).

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Even with the latest PC patch, and the game on the absolute lowest settings, I can't maintain a 60 FPS here. Really unfortunate tbh, since my rig isn't anything to sneeze at. The driving segments are killing it.

Xeon 1231 v3
RTX 2070 XC Ultra
16GB DDR3

Should be able to have this at Medium Settings with Raytracing on Medium and still get 60FPS: bare minimum.

Game is embarrassingly poorly optimized and it's disheartening, expecially coming from the guys who brought us Witcher 3

Kinda makes me wanna ditch this and play something else.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Newest update is out. Downloading on the Pro now. Almost 18gb.
Interestingly this patch is 1.7GB on PC. Looks like the console versions are getting much more major work.

I tried it, no immediately obvious difference to me on PC but wouldn't expect any since bugs are random and occasional.

Last edited:
Nothing "meh" about this game's gunplay, and combat in general. What you are doing is cherrypicking examples from games that heavily specialize in single area. MGSV, for example, is praised for it's gameplay, even if it doesn't come with best stealth, melee, or gunplay, or AI.
Rpgs in general do not have super refined single aspect of design, but more than make up for it with width and depth of overall experience you get: typically more than sum of it's parts.
Doom Eternal is pretty much just hour after hour of run&gun. Forza with driving.
Cyberpunk excells at world design, world building, story, quests/mission design, characters and dialogue, music, ambiance, art direction. That on top of that has a ton of character build options, progression systems And excellent gunplay ( that puts many straight FPS to shame), is pretty damn impressive.

kid doesn't want to compare it to other RPG's at all lmao doesn't even want to have a thorough conversation about the RPG comparison

1. because he can't

2. He knows it's in cyberpunks favor. therefore the dude is more loyal to his stubborn stance then rethinking the positives of the game.

Komatsu

Xeon 1231 v3
RTX 2070 XC Ultra
16GB DDR3

It's not greatly optimized, no, but in fairness the Witcher 3 wasn't either when it first came out.

One quick note about your setup: You've got a bit of a CPU bottleneck there.

Your Xeon is a Haswell chip, it's almost 40% slower quadcore-wise than a Ryzen 5 3600, which is the big middle-of-the-road CPU for this game.

I can run this game on high with RT set to medium and get around 60FPS and my GPU is weaker than yours: a 2060 Super. I've tested it with both a i7 9700F and a Ryzen 5 3600 and they were fine.

Dorohedoro

Can this Stanley guy piss off? Always randomly interrupting a bop on the radio with his shit and when he finally shuts up it skips whatever was previously playing.

What level is recommended for the high/very high danger missions in Heywood and City Center? I'm at level 31. It'd be nice if it told you like TW3 but you know...

Lethal01

Nothing "meh" about this game's gunplay, and combat in general. What you are doing is cherrypicking examples from games that heavily specialize in single area. MGSV,

I'm not saying AAA games that purely focused on those elements are the only games to beat Cyberpunk. I was asked for a game that beats them when i thought it was obvious that there are tons that beat them so I gave the first example that popped into mind.. Cyberpunk loses to even indie shooters and stealth games..

I will agree that a game can make up for one element not being fantastic by having variety. The issue is that Cyberpunk isn't just "not fantastic", The gunsplay, stealth, driving and melee combat are 4/10. If you think they are good, the go ahead, but that's a different discussion from what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Alexios

Even with the latest PC patch, and the game on the absolute lowest settings, I can't maintain a 60 FPS here. Really unfortunate tbh, since my rig isn't anything to sneeze at. The driving segments are killing it.

Xeon 1231 v3
RTX 2070 XC Ultra
16GB DDR3

Should be able to have this at Medium Settings with Raytracing on Medium and still get 60FPS: bare minimum.

Game is embarrassingly poorly optimized and it's disheartening, expecially coming from the guys who brought us Witcher 3

Kinda makes me wanna ditch this and play something else.
Probably your CPU's fault, same as me, going by a quick search it's considerably slower than the average modern CPUs (and not even the highest end/priciest) which in single threaded tasks are like 30% faster and increasingly better the more threads you add, like 60% faster for 4 threads and 100% faster for 8.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Probably your CPU's fault, going by a quick google search its performance is considerably lower than your average modern CPU (and not even the highest end possible), in single threaded tasks up to like 20% slower and increasingly worse the more multi threading you add, like 60% slower for 4 threads and 100% slower for 8 core.

It is, the Xeon is a Haswell CPU, a bit on the older side.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Xeon 1231 v3
RTX 2070 XC Ultra
16GB DDR3

No, dude, this is not the game being poorly optimized, Ray tracing taxes the CPU as well as the GPU and you have a 5 year old CPU and you're trying to run a RT on an already CPU heavy game on a mid range first gen RT card.

Turn off RT, set everything else to Ultra, set DLSS to auto, and enjoy perfect 60fps gameplay. Or upgrade your CPU.

Last edited:
haha I did this cool espionage themed mission where there are 2 way mirrors and other cool surveillance stuff. Then I had to chase after a van and it drove right through a closed garage door.

So I thought "aha! more cool spy tech, the garage door is a hologram!" and went through it full speed.

Nope it's real, slammed into it at max power and fell on my ass. Couldn't catch up to the van, mission failed. The van was able drove through the closed door because of a bug.

Loaded a fresh save to redo the mission and the garage door is open the whole time on the new attempt, lol.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
It's not greatly optimized, no, but in fairness the Witcher 3 wasn't either when it first came out.

One quick note about your setup: You've got a bit of a CPU bottleneck there.

Your Xeon is a Haswell chip, it's almost 40% slower quadcore-wise than a Ryzen 5 3600, which is the big middle-of-the-road CPU for this game.

I can run this game on high with RT set to medium and get around 60FPS and my GPU is weaker than yours: a 2060 Super. I've tested it with both a i7 9700F and a Ryzen 5 3600 and they were fine.

Probably your CPU's fault, same as me, going by a quick search it's considerably slower than your average modern CPU (and not even the highest end/priciest), in single threaded tasks up to like 20% slower and increasingly worse the more threads you add, like 60% slower for 4 threads and 100% slower for 8.

No, dude, this is not the game being poorly optimized, Ray tracing taxes the CPU as well as the GPU and you have a 5 year old CPU and you're trying to run a RT on an already CPU heavy game on a mid range first gen RT card.

Turn off RT, set DLSS to auto, and enjoy perfect 60fps gameplay. Or upgrade your CPU.

I do have RT off at this point. I'm aware I've got a bottleneck. This is the first game I've had issue with performance wise with this rig. Appreciate the input guys, still don't think this should be this much of a performance drop.

I do get 60+ FPS, but it drops while driving etc.

Just sorta lame.

Last edited:
The combat is actually...awesome?

The FPS mechanics are spot-on - especially for an RPG with dice rolls behind every shot.

Each and every encounter I've faced is as intense as anything I've played in a straight-up First Person Shooter - sometimes more so.

They nailed the combat🤘💯

I'm not saying AAA games that purely focused on those elements are the only games to beat Cyberpunk. I was asked for a game that beats them when i thought it was obvious that there are tons that beat them so I gave the first example that popped into mind.. Cyberpunk loses to even indie shooters and stealth games..

I will agree that a game can make up for one element not being fantastic by having variety. The issue is that Cyberpunk isn't just "not fantastic", The gunsplay, stealth, driving and melee combat are 4/10. If you think they are good, the go ahead, but that's a different discussion from what I'm saying.

jesus you didn't even understand anything he just said.

do you not understand that this is an RPG? it's not just "variety" it's "is this a good RPG" that's the discussion. being that RPG's sole focus isn't combat at all, and considering that fact they are usually judged in accordance to a different criteria. Us having to explain this to you, is almost as if we're speaking to someone that aint really about this hobby.

the games you mentioned don't apply because they aren't RPG's., if I wanted a first person RPG what would you recommend to me instead?

and once again, stop avoiding answering this:

did you enjoy the witcher 3 and did you enjoy Skyrim?

teezzy

Banned
Cyberpunk is an RPG first and foremost.

One can't help but think of Witcher 3, Deus Ex: HR, and GTA V while playing as a result of its influences.

I wouldn't say it does anything that those games are known for better than their respective titles, but its still a solid time as it is clearly a case where the sum is larger than its parts, etc.

djinferno807

Neo Member

Easily the dumbest thing I've read on the internet this week and that's saying something in 2020 with the year we've had.

Ya sure let's argue that elements in games that SPECIALIZE in that element are better done in another game. Ya ok. Stealth better in splinter cell? Ya don't fucking say?

I also heard that room/doom eternal has better gunplay.

Were here comparing apples to apples and this guys out here comparing apples to autistic lemons.

Cyberpunk is an RPG first and foremost.

One can't help but think of Witcher 3, Deus Ex: HR, and GTA V while playing as a result of its influences.

I wouldn't say it does anything that those games are known for better than their respective titles, but its still a solid time as it is clearly a case where the sum is larger than its parts, etc.

yep, and yet I'd rather play this than say...deus ex, because the setting is better, and the gameplay is better and the quests have higher presentation value, and are arguably as good or better.

GTA V isn't a rpg, it's GTA, and the witcher 3 is sublime but if I can get that with better gamplay in a cyberpunk setting then sign me up. that's what this game is.

Easily the dumbest thing I've read on the internet this week and that's saying something in 2020 with the year we've had.

Ya sure let's argue that elements in games that SPECIALIZE in that element are better done in another game. Ya ok. Stealth better in splinter cell? Ya don't fucking say?

I also heard that room/doom eternal has better gunplay.

Were here comparing apples to apples and this guys out here comparing apples to autistic lemons.

lmaoo

Lethal01

The combat is actually...awesome?

The FPS mechanics are spot-on - especially for an RPG with dice rolls behind every shot.

Each and every encounter I've faced is as intense as anything I've played in a straight-up First Person Shooter - sometimes more so.

They nailed the combat🤘💯

Glad your enjoying it, I'll wait for updates or mods.
Feels like a mix of janky and dull to me.

I can tell that Lethal01 is playing on console lol. I can see how bad performance on console can suck enjoyment from the combat.

But with keyboard and mouse on 60 FPS? Combat is fucking awesome. This is how combat can look in this game:

yeah that looks bad. fallout is better. yep we can typically do that in RPG's. [/sarcasm]

lethal1 yeah that look average right? fuck outta here lol give me the RPG lethal where I can do that shit

watch your scared ass not respond with an answer

Lethal01

I can tell that Lethal01 is playing on console lol. I can see how bad performance on console can suck enjoyment from the combat.

But with keyboard and mouse on 60 FPS? Its fucking awesome. This is how combat can look in this game:

Nah, I'd never play this on consoles even if it were running properly.

Top Bottom