• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

2AdEPT

Ok things are finally looking up for the romance dept. I got a string of texts from Judy thanking me for helping her with the clouds questline (the last one had a wink at the end)... YES!, and then as I was reading those I noticed Meredith had texted me as well! I figured I better get meredith in before Judy and I get together maybe long term. No spoilers, but one of the best parts of meeting Meredith was getting that weapon she left on the bed....two words: HUGE damage.

luffie

I think this is an interesting take and I understand where you're coming from. But, what is the alternative I wonder? To have every single building explorable? Obviously that's not an option. So I'm really curious how you would strike the perfect balance between size, interactivity, and immersion. I'd think it's pretty fucking hard and CDPR are the only ones even attempting an open-world Cyberpunk world.
I'm not sure about the alternative, this is probably the 1st time a game has a fully constructed city without generic repetitive model or procedural design. CDPR design team went all in, and it seems the tech and programming side has yet to catch up. Most other games has only a small section with the megabuildings as mere backdrop.

My suggestion would actually be making the city 50% smaller or even 60%+, it is already big enough as it is. Then making them more interactive or making the "towns" even more standout. Although I suspect the vast spaces in between has to do with how the engine load spaces & ai etc, so it might not be possible currently to make a smaller but with interactive more elements.

GC_DALBEN

I know a lot of ppl dont like the game, but im LOVING it, theres a lot of bugs, but the city, the characters, the history, the gameplay, i love almost everything, one of the best games ever, if they had waited a few more months....

That been said, i have a BEAST PC, i know it looks like shit in consoles.

Goty easily, some quest are REALLY amazing, today i did
The ending of the Judy quest, i had a smile on my face the hole time, so cool.

Last edited:

Loostreaks

Holy shit. This game.
What I love about it, it doesn't go the same generic sc-ifi/cyberpunk route...bla bla does AI have a soul/grand conspiracy/what does it mean to be human/etc.
Everything is personal. A one off episode of my character trying to get laid ended up as some kind of spiritual session, confessing his fears. And when the "doll" was pulled by safeword, the whole change in lighting, setup of the scene, her reaction...man, it was heartbreaking.
This game lets you directly experience themes of this setting, on a deeply personal level, but without pretending to be philosophical or using same old, worn out platitudes.

KO7

Taking my time with side missions and gigs, but really wish Johnny’s gun and Porsche were available much sooner in the game than they are. I’ve only just finished the VDBs/Animals Main quest and gotten the float plans from Wakako Okana.
Next playthrough, I plan to beeline it through the main story to get the Porsche before taking a break for the side quests.

Btw, that Judy arc was really well done at being something that’s off the beaten path. This game is incredible in some of the slower quiet moments. I felt compelled to just “sit” with her by the water for a bit before moving on with the journey afterwards. Sad to see that come to an end.

Last edited:

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Is there any way to turn nudity back on? I turned it off cause I ain't no perv. Then I met Panam and have become a perv.
BSbnOge.jpg

Honestly? Im really enjoying the game right now. Game runs a lot better imo since the last patch. The Badlands look so damn nice. I wish my stupid screenshots would upload to xbox live already. Anyway, there are some older ones for now.

12-12-2020_5-04-45_AM-a4pzvvrm.png

12-11-2020_8-03-37_AM-p1z0pxrd.png

12-11-2020_11-51-22_PM-0m4thgwq.png

12-15-2020_5-03-38_AM-b5b2aaq0.png

12-15-2020_5-04-53_AM-llffmako.png

12-11-2020_8-04-27_AM-j4w3ublk.png

12-12-2020_5-03-19_AM-s1gapkyp.png

JonkyDonk

Huh weird. It's not blurry for me - or i can't notice it at least.
You can see my screenshots above, captured with shield (everything set to ultra for the shots only).
Is there a difference streaming on Nvidia Shield rather than on a PC?

Also I tried launching up Geforce Now to give it another look and it put me in a queue with 999 people ahead of me. Took 2 hours to get in!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Smaller, dense open worlds are always the best.

Deus Ex & Disco Elysium are two perfect examples of this.

The quest for bigger and more full of copy & paste side activities is depressing.

If Night City was half the size, with less of the filler activities, it would be a better game 100%.

Less usually IS more.
There's really not a lot of copy and paste activities though. I mean street crime/gangs, sure, those are like the equivalent of random encounters, but the quests are pretty individual. Even stuff like the Delemain quests and cyberpsychos that I expected to be were all different, with a little bit of unique storytelling to each.

I think one thing I miss is that there isn't a lot of discoverability, like I get all my quests from people calling me, GTA-style, I can't just wander down a back alley and someone waves me down and tells me their problems.

And I get that decision, because you spend most of your time in the car zipping all over the city in this game, it's not like Witcher where you're crawling across the map little by little, so it's the right way to handle it, but it would have made the world feel a little more alive.

Loostreaks

I'm not sure about the alternative, this is probably the 1st time a game has a fully constructed city without generic repetitive model or procedural design. CDPR design team went all in, and it seems the tech and programming side has yet to catch up. Most other games has only a small section with the megabuildings as mere backdrop.

My suggestion would actually be making the city 50% smaller or even 60%+, it is already big enough as it is. Then making them more interactive or making the "towns" even more standout. Although I suspect the vast spaces in between has to do with how the engine load spaces & ai etc, so it might not be possible currently to make a smaller but with interactive more elements.
Would've preferred more explorable buildings, but there is still no open world game, of this scale, that uses the world better( in mission design). Simple side quest tracking a cop hiding in hotel, had me interrogating people at market, hacking local security to directly see her on camera ( in her room), then having to jump across rooftops to reach her room ( didn't have high enough tech skill).
What they did with environment/level design and how it ties into missions, is pretty damn impressive. ( next to Rockstar, Piranha Bytes or Bethesda, where you just run around and kill things). There are loads of hidden options in traversal for player to find.
What I want them to focus more is adding dynamic encounters on the streets, so it encourages more emergent gameplay.

Reposting this from the HDR thread because I'm hoping more people could verify this. I know that this approach should be entirely incorrect, but somehow the image looks right. Considering the game uses "fake" HDR (tone-mapped SDR to HDR), this might be seen as an alternative approach to tone-mapping:
So... I think I somehow managed to fix the tone-mapped HDR on Cyberpunk for PC. Take this with a grain of salt - I don't know shit about brightness levels and whatnot, but I know what true blacks look like.

Ironically, I'm getting true blacks and what looks to be an HDR picture with the game running in SDR mode. This was tested on my 55" LG C9 OLED. Here's what I'm doing:
  1. Turned on Windows HDR setting
  2. Went into Nvidia Control panel to force YUV422 10-bit color settings (Output Dynamic Range set to Limited)
  3. TV has Black Level set to Low
  4. TV has Dynamic Tone Mapping enabled
  5. In-game HDR disabled (e.g. using SDR with Gamma adjusted for my TV)
That's it. I immediately noticed the intro/trademark screens showcasing true blacks when booting. The colors also seem to pop quite a bit more, contrast is a lot more fine-grained, and the washed out look is completely gone. My TV reports that I'm displaying an HDR picture, too. I have no idea why this has the effect that it does, especially considering the game is supposedly displaying SDR. Maybe forcing the SDR in the YUV422 10-bit container results in properly tone-mapped HDR?

I'll try to upload a picture later so people can verify whether I'm crazy or not.

Last edited:

Loostreaks

Anyone saying this isn't "deep enough rpg", on narrative side, is full of bs. Conversation standoff with Woodman had multiple ways to fail or convince him, on each side. My V had a corpo dialogue option to bring him in line( by bringing Eve's ties to Arasaka). Or ( this was something you had to discover by hacking into their network), I could use my hacking skill to trade in for solution on how to fix their security. Both options had a really well done "dialogue flow", that come across as natural part of conversation, my character sounded like he knows what he's talking about ( instead of standard "rpg skill check", persuade, proceed as usual)
Or you could bring about exposing him to the press.
From what I hear, if you resolve it peacefully, you also get additional quest from him, later on. If it turns to violence, you instead get a damn good assault rifle.
Seems like a lot of people simply rushed through the game and skipped a lot of options. ( and CDPR also shares some of the blame for this)

SF Kosmo

So Katanas are OP lol.

Melee sees like a better option for now at least.
Man, you think Katanas are OP, get you some Mantis blades. Shit's not even fair. I found legendary Mantis blades near one of the cyberpsychos. I couldn't beat him so I grabbed the blades and peaced out.

The game might need a little balance tweaking, some things should be a little easier to get early on but also maybe less powerful. It takes a long time to really specialize.

I also wish respecing wasn't so damn expensive.

TheContact

One thing that bothers me is, when you're in the streets (possibly elsewhere) and let's say you're looking at a car stopped at a stoplight, then you do a 180 and wait a quick sec, then go back to your original position, the traffic will still be there but the car will be completely different. I turned around 4 times and each time there was a different car at the stoplight (even though the light was still red). it's like the mobs are randomly generated based on what you're looking at, and are dumped from memory the second you're not.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just had a car randomly drop from the sky in front of me then explode. Some people may complain that the bug is "immersion breaking", but I am laughing my ass off.

TheMan

welp, just had to stop my playthrough for now. I ran into a bug where delamain called me and his face would not go away from the small screen that pops up with calls. Then another character called me (as part of a mission) and their face was superimposed on delemain's. The faces went away after I restarted but the blank screen is still there and now I can't use my phone. That is a gamebreaking bug. Looking it up, there's no clear way to fix this unless I revert back to an earlier save and I don't want to lose a bunch of progress, so I'll just wait it out i guess.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
welp, just had to stop my playthrough for now. I ran into a bug where delamain called me and his face would not go away from the small screen that pops up with calls. Then another character called me (as part of a mission) and their face was superimposed on delemain's. The faces went away after I restarted but the blank screen is still there and now I can't use my phone. That is a gamebreaking bug. Looking it up, there's no clear way to fix this unless I revert back to an earlier save and I don't want to lose a bunch of progress, so I'll just wait it out i guess.

Did you download 1.05 yet? This was listed in the notes:
  • Fixed an issue with Delamain's image displayed on top of the current caller during phone calls.

Ivory Blood

I like how this thread is the only place on the internet that is not burning with hatred for cdpr.

Neogaf OT served well during this otherwise rough and highly dramatic release.
There is also /vg/ general, and r/LowSodiumCyberpunk which is growing at an astonishing rate day by day. I think the silent majority are enjoying the game, and the usual suspects, like "journalists" are stoking the fires for clicks is all.

edit: RPG Codex sorta likes the game too, so we are not alone.

Last edited:

Woggleman

There is also /vg/ general, and r/LowSodiumCyberpunk which is growing at an astonishing rate day by day. I think the silent majority are enjoying the game, and the usual suspects, like "journalists" are stoking the fires for clicks is all.
There is even a general discussion thread on Resetera that is surprisingly positive. Seriously it is. CPDR has the potential to really turn things around if they are serious about fixing the game.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Has anyone else done the sidequest Sinnerman? That was some truly deep and fucked up stuff on the level of the deeper meaningful sides in W3. And the more I think about it, the more I think about different things I could’ve done that would’ve completely changed the outcome 😮

Kadayi

Banned
One thing that bothers me is, when you're in the streets (possibly elsewhere) and let's say you're looking at a car stopped at a stoplight, then you do a 180 and wait a quick sec, then go back to your original position, the traffic will still be there but the car will be completely different. I turned around 4 times and each time there was a different car at the stoplight (even though the light was still red). it's like the mobs are randomly generated based on what you're looking at, and are dumped from memory the second you're not.

That's the same thing in GTA TBH. You have fixed assets and dynamic assets. Stuff like parked cars stay the same, but assets on the road etc change all the time. It's all part and parcel of memory allocation.

Pretty much. The hate Boner some ppl are stroking for this game (and a few members here have been for years) is kind of incredible.

luffie

Man, you think Katanas are OP, get you some Mantis blades. Shit's not even fair. I found legendary Mantis blades near one of the cyberpsychos. I couldn't beat him so I grabbed the blades and peaced out.

The game might need a little balance tweaking, some things should be a little easier to get early on but also maybe less powerful. It takes a long time to really specialize.

I also wish respecing wasn't so damn expensive.
Katana is really op, i just use a regular katana to beat the last boss. Didnt even move, just non stop swing, and before my stamina is finished, he is dead.

I'm like..."what?!"

SF Kosmo

Has anyone else done the sidequest Sinnerman? That was some truly deep and fucked up stuff on the level of the deeper meaningful sides in W3. And the more I think about it, the more I think about different things I could’ve done that would’ve completely changed the outcome 😮
So good, yeah. Early on there are some dumb side quest, fetch this, kill that, but these eventually lead into some really great storylines, and that one is one of the best so far.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

edit: RPG Codex sorta likes the game too, so we are not alone.
the internet works by aggregating outrage, as things that get more clicks get promoted and things that outrage get more clicks. game journalism is largely comprised of clickbait and outrage because they write for these aggregators and it is better to have your piece blow up for being an outrageous piece of garbage everyone retweets to mock than to have a well written interesting story that nobody sees. they want to write about drama, not games. note the number of stories on the content of the games vs intra company gossip, in-fighting political, etc. they aren't covering the works, they are covering the production. they aren't really concerned with games themselves, they are there to cover the industry. that's where the outrage is. that's where the drama is.

on top of that you have social media and internet spaces, which are largely echo chambers for toxic memes and narratives generated by the media. people like Kyuu are all around, activists with a grudge, just looking for a game to pin it on. alt youtube clickbait journalists naturally latch on to any gaming outrage as well like the leeches they are. truthfully, many have had this game in their sights for years, ready to take it down. the bugs and launch issues, which are endemic to pretty much every big launch especially a cross-platform one, are hyped up beyond belief in order to prop up this outrage-farm "EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE!!!" narrative.

yet here i am, playing the game on PS5, have been enjoying it for over a dozen hours, and not had a single crash or even seen a bug since the last patch. it's like i'm playing a totally different game or something lol.

so i just tune out all that noise. none of it will matter in the long run. the game is enjoyable that's all i care about.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

game journalism is largely comprised of clickbait and outrage.
It truly is. Like right now, every game publication is buying whatever Cyberpunk stories and takes they can, just because it drives clicks. You could write the best story in the world about, like, the fall of Konami or something, they're not buying it because it's not one of their hot keywords.

Iamborghini

I don't understad how some of you are trying to defend CDPR. They are not victims here, they purposelly hided the ps4/One version to rip off their loyal community.

Maybe If Ubi or EA had done the same we will not be as angry as now because we had all our trust to CDPR and they betrayed us.

Woggleman

I don't understad how some of you are trying to defend CDPR. They are not victims here, they purposelly hided the ps4/One version to rip off their loyal community.

Maybe If Ubi or EA had done the same we will not be as angry as now because we had all our trust to CDPR and they betrayed us.
There is truth to this. I do think it is a great game when it runs good but the base console versions are terrible.

This might be the best thing to happen to Stadia though. A friend of mine bought it just to play this game and he is loving it. I looked up some Stadia videos on you tube and it might just be the best version of this game.

imsosleepy

seeing some of the positives on cyberpunk here. I think they wil patch this up really well, and hopefully add some extra functions people really want and find missing. Get in good grace again. Release dlc as good as blood and wine and they are back on track.

harmny

Banned

i keep hearing and seeing videos of this. but it doesn't happen to me. i tried to reproduce it but the cars are the same ones no matter how much i turn around. are you playing on pc? same with the npcs. they don't dissapear for me.

luffie

Kerry's quest mocking at the Japanese band was really hilarious. I finally got to see the music video of that funny song.

Dopoki dopoki dopoki!

seeing some of the positives on cyberpunk here. I think they wil patch this up really well, and hopefully add some extra functions people really want and find missing. Get in good grace again. Release dlc as good as blood and wine and they are back on track.

It'll happen 100%, but people love riding the hate train while it's hot.

Just look at No Man's Sky. It's nearly a different game now than it was at release.

MadYarpen

From what I can see, there are several levels of all this....

1. Messed up console release - from what I've seen, criticism 100% deserved. Tbh I haven't seen a lot of people defending CDPR, and it was mostly nonsense. The management fucked up so badly this could hurt them for years....
2. Shortcuts, not finished stuff in the game - which I think for many can rob the game from masterpiece title. Also the criticism is deserved. For me it is depressing, to think what could have been.
3. The game itself which, when it is working, deserves a lot of praise, despite point 2. I'm away for couple of days and finally can get some sleep after playing until 3am every day. So I'm doing a good thing, but also I keep thinking about the game and can't wait to ruin my health again. I'm over 30 and games almost never do this to me.

Kadayi

Banned
It'll happen 100%, but people love riding the hate train while it's hot.

Just look at No Man's Sky. It's nearly a different game now than it was at release.

Yeah but you still get cunts bitching about that to this day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guaranteed 20 years from now when people are talking about Cyberpunk, someone will be all 'CDP fucked my Mum hard. Airtight. I'll never forgive them ever!!! Doom Patrol4Life!!! The Boycott continues!!!'

rabbitontherun

Neo Member
Is there a difference streaming on Nvidia Shield rather than on a PC?
Not that i know of. Shield has a feature for upscaling to 4K but that's about it.
I think it highly depends on your connection - i have 150mbit via ethernet.
Here are couple screenshots from my laptop: Screen1 Screen2 Screen3 Screen4 thats on high settings without RT
Make sure to set your resolution in geforce now to 1080p.

Also I tried launching up Geforce Now to give it another look and it put me in a queue with 999 people ahead of me. Took 2 hours to get in!
Half of the servers were down. They should be up again.
Do you have the founders sub?
Depending which server you choose you can get queue times in the evening, even with founders sub.
Although it didn't happen to me in the last days - had a 1 minute queue like an hour ago (EU Central 4 server).

JonkyDonk

I don't understand; I have a 1080ti and i5 8600k, and even if I turn the game down to 1080p low preset settings and crowd density to low, the frame rate still chugs when driving through the city. Is this normal? Is it impossible to get something close to 60 fps in this game with my setup?

Top Bottom