• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

Shouta

To me, games feel longer when it's lacking plot, bad characters, slow progression or when story missions feels repetitive.

Like Red dead redemption 2; (he had a plan for like centuries but didn't do anything with it). Or TLOU 2; where they had no idea what they were doing with the main plot so introduced lots of uninteresting side characters and wasted time on their stuff. Or Witcher 3 felt longer because Geralt kept looking for Ciri for like 50 hours. These stories felt long because they were bloated at some point due to which they felt repetitive.

IMO Cyberpunk should have had around 50 main quest missions instead of 30. They could have kept it interesting with the inclusion of other street gangs, unused story potential with Meredith and maybe other characters at Militech.

Or maybe I'm enjoying the game too much and don't want to end it, which is why I'm going out of my way to avoid story missions at the point I am at in the game.

The main quest could have been longer for sure. Honestly, I was hoping for more corpo shenanigans going on and more stuff with the gangs. Exploring AI and a few more tangents for the main storyline would have been nice too. Like a faction war over V would have been interesting too.

Finished the game on normal, melee is absolutely busted.

Defeated final boss using a regular legendary Katana, 1600+ dps, lvl 33. I was just there swinging my sword on a dps race, wasn't even moving, before my stamina could even finish the boss died.

10/10 Arasaka made the best katana.

Everything is pretty much broken towards the end, they at least got that right, lol

scalman

The more i playing the more i love this game, just share of that open world feeling go anywhere feeling, drive for long along streets find some conflicts , deal with them , continue driving...enjoying everything. So its smt wrong that i do as others seems like more they play game more they hating it, how so? Maybe too high expectations? I didint had those for me all games i play are open worlds and racing games so this is like perfect mix of those both as i rly get all here, all i need. I kinda allways wanted this kind of game, more then just gta 5 and more then just fallout 4 and more then just horizon 4 . Like why not have those all styles in one ..i dont like fps games dont play cod or bf games anymore but shooting in this i just love yes with controller on pc yes on default settings, same for driving , i enjoy it.
Maybe its same for me as i look at life now, lots problems , lots bad and wrong stuff, but i enjoy it, like accepting all dont hating it.
Same for this game, yes some bugs but no crashes so for me its just a game, i accept it this way. Its much more good stuff then bad and whats bad for most bugs hunters for me its nothing serious its fine its even good.
I rly think its best game for now for me in last years . And i allready know i will play it second time all over .

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I restarted as a Body/Reflexes/Hacking solo (don’t want to do stealth on the first play through, plus I bought that perk to disassemble thrash). Taking it easy with the plot, just did some NCPD missions and two for Regina.

The game doesn’t grab me yet like the Witcher did, but maybe because I’m Polish and grew up with the series. It’s a proficient game and the bugs will be ironed out, but there is no magic yet. I have two say two missions for Regina were really fun, I liked how you could (spoiler to the market mission)
Either have 6 in Tech and open Anna’s door or 4 and open the apartment the floor below and use the balcony to climb up

shubik

finished the game yesterday after roughly 60 hours (two endings and all side quests done). I´m left with really mixed feelings. On the one hand, I enjoyed this game a lot and left with a hunger for more after the credits rolled (something only a few games accomplished for me). But at the same time, I´m heavily disappointed and borderline mad at CDPR. The game could have been so much more. It really feels at times like you are only playing a demo or a slice of the finished product...

I will put this thing away for now and will wait for the proper next-gen version + some major fixes/patches/updates before I go for a second playthrough. I really hope CDPR will put in the necessary work and time to get this game to its full potential. Otherwise, it would be a shame...

TastyPastry

Eptu7saXcAIyvBZ

60 hours or so in, I'm still going strong. Doing tons of side activities while I proceed with the main story, so I 100%'d 3 areas and have maxed out some things and yet I only just started Act 3. What can I say, this game is still great. By now, gameplay is like Crysis with how fast I move, how high I jump and how strong my melee is, though I prefer spraying with my pistol or SMG. I love how hacks can take out so many enemies with so little effort, AI ain't smart but it still makes you feel satisfied when you pull it off.

Aside from the glitches and performances, one of my main gripes so far is that the city is a great backdrop, but it does not feel particularly alive or characterized. NPCs do nothing, cars just spawn and despawn and nothing really happens with them, crimes happen but they feel pretty standard, and with how cops spawn behind you like Coldsteel the Hedgehog, and failure causing you to load the game as opposed to starting back from a hospital or something, you're discouraged from trying funny business. Interactions are also fairly minimal: yeah, you can buy weapons, blades and food everywhere, but they really aren't worth the hassle since you find much better lying around anyway.

That's one thing I hope they improve upon in the upcoming months/years, other than the obvious functional issues.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

Dries

i've been using DLSS balanced and been quite happy with it but will definitely try this out! looks much better. the only DLSS setting i thought was blurry was the most aggressive one (ultra performance).

i've seen people recommend use image sharpening in the NCP but it looks awful i think.

Back in the day these LOD bias tricks were also used for The Witcher 3 on PC, with very nice results. Used it myself too. Makes sense that the same tweaks can be applied to a new game made in the same engine.

MMaRsu

Im seeing a few more glitches in rtx with the newest patch too, never had a lot of issues prepatch so its a bit of a bummer lmao

rabbitontherun

Neo Member
Still rocking the yellow combo but found new boots, pants and legendary goggles.
Upgraded the jacket as much as i can right now.
Got me the double jump and mantis blades.
With all that + my revovler and sniper i'm feeling like a god damn terminator.

screenshot_20201221-1ipklb.png

screenshot_20201221-1ibk80.png

screenshot_20201221-1y8joi.png

screenshot_20201221-1dqkop.png

And poor Takamura....he's been waiting for me for who knows how long.

imsosleepy

I have a polish friend whos best friend works at cdpr. He told me that friend is really depressed atm. All that work put in to make something amazing and it shows in the design of the city, the details, the animations, the quality of the characters. And to even get the game pulled from the store ouch. And he told him that yea they needed more time. The first deadlines barely made sense. They started delaying the game from unrealistic deadlines set in the first place.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I have a polish friend whos best friend works at cdpr. He told me that friend is really depressed atm. All that work put in to make something amazing and it shows in the design of the city, the details, the animations, the quality of the characters. And to even get the game pulled from the store ouch. And he told him that yea they needed more time. The first deadlines barely made sense. They started delaying the game from unrealistic deadlines set in the first place.

Tell them to keep strong

Loostreaks

They ( their idiot managers) did this to themselves: and for no goddamn reason. They were not even running out of money: Witcher sales were still strong, five years after release.
Early in 2020 while still adding content, the "suits" had set a deadline for this to be optimized in 3 or 4 months. Complete fucking insanity.
And then they delayed, delayed, and delayed, and eventually boxed themselves into a corner ( can't even imagine the level of stress and panic in last few weeks). And then had a choice: Delay again, stocks take another hit, another internet outrage, squander all that marketing money and holliday season..or release it and hope Day 1 patch does miracles and players "will be understanding". And of course it didn't and witholding reviews to the last moment, made them look like they were deliberately trying to trick people into buying broken product ( angering a lot of people). I've never seen a worse handling of game launch by major company.
CDPR's management has been a ticking time bomb from the start: problem is lack of accountability for higher ups and "don't question the methods, so long as you get results" mentality.
But sooner or later, as you move to bigger projects, you run out of luck and no amount of "crunch" can save your ass. Exactly the same thing happened with Bioware.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
so i just done the Mama Welles quest. she offered me the bike but how do i get it? i went back to the garage and i can't get in. calling my vehicle brings a Delamain taxi.

so i just done the Mama Welles quest. she offered me the bike but how do i get it? i went back to the garage and i can't get in. calling my vehicle brings a Delamain taxi.
If you hold the call vehicle button ("V" on PC, not sure on console) then it brings up a list of your owned vehicles. It should be in there.

luffie

I think i can finally put into words what is weird with Night City.

CP2077 is really similar like Witcher 3 in terms of structure and world.
In W3, you have huge stretch of lands between each unique locations, these lands are essentially empty, with a bit of goons sprinkled here and there. Only the landmarks or towns have some interactions, and the interactions are pretty similar (pubs, armor, smith etc)

In CP2077 it's essentially the same, huge space between "towns".
Now the difference is, a city is much more condensed than fantasy towns, so they have to build these "in between" buildings, and they build it very nicely.

Here comes the problem, we are used to spotting interesting locations (eg.abandoned tower) in W3 and exploring it usually guarantees a secret or something.
But in CP2077, everything looks interesting but you can't explore most of them, so it's very hard to spot the real "town" between all other buildings. So the feeling of not being able to interact with anything is amplified, whereas in W3, subconsciously we know not to interact with every tree or rocks.
Difficulties in spotting towns also makes it harder for free exploration, you have to rely on map to see which are the interactive locations by the icons.

TLDR: Imagine from Novigrad to Velen, the grasses in between are replaced with buildings, and it feels weird not to be able to interact with them.

JonkyDonk

I don't know if I'm gonna continue with this game. It runs just poor enough on my PC to ruin my enjoyment, and the idea of building a new PC at the moment is not very viable. Everything is out of stock and very overpriced; it's just not worth it. I think I might wait for the proper PS5 version to come out and all of the bugs to be fixed before giving it another try.

There is a part of me that wants to opt out of high end PC gaming entirely. I'm not sure I care to put up with all the bullshit that comes with it anymore. The new console experience is quite PC-like and should be good enough for some years, and there will probably be a Pro model when I want to upgrade.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
There is a part of me that wants to opt out of high end PC gaming entirely. I'm not sure I care to put up with all the bullshit that comes with it anymore. The new console experience is quite PC-like and should be good enough for some years, and there will probably be a Pro model when I want to upgrade.
i get how you feel. i was ready to ditch PC gaming and go back to consoles. my Series X lasted 4 days and couldn't get a PS5 so just sticking with PC. mines is still quite powerful so i'm gonna try make it last until these consoles get a slim/pro revision.

first of all it's just a lot of money. my pc cost ~£4K to build as it is right now. i like games but i've realised i don't like them that much. for games when they work it's great but there are times when games are just a mess and you need to jump through hoops to get them working right. even if a game isn't a shitty port i am starting to get real tired of messing about with settings. i remember a while back when I bought RDR2 and i spent FOUR HOURS messing about with settings trying to get the performance just right. i played only a tiny bit of the game in that time. i kept thinking "i just wanna fucking play the game!". ended up just playing it on PS4 and not worrying about settings/performance.

Dries

I think i can finally put into words what is weird with Night City.

CP2077 is really similar like Witcher 3 in terms of structure and world.
In W3, you have huge stretch of lands between each unique locations, these lands are essentially empty, with a bit of goons sprinkled here and there. Only the landmarks or towns have some interactions, and the interactions are pretty similar (pubs, armor, smith etc)

In CP2077 it's essentially the same, huge space between "towns".
Now the difference is, a city is much more condensed than fantasy towns, so they have to build these "in between" buildings, and they build it very nicely.

Here comes the problem, we are used to spotting interesting locations (eg.abandoned tower) in W3 and exploring it usually guarantees a secret or something.
But in CP2077, everything looks interesting but you can't explore most of them, so it's very hard to spot the real "town" between all other buildings. So the feeling of not being able to interact with anything is amplified, whereas in W3, subconsciously we know not to interact with every tree or rocks.
Difficulties in spotting towns also makes it harder for free exploration, you have to rely on map to see which are the interactive locations by the icons.

TLDR: Imagine from Novigrad to Velen, the grasses in between are replaced with buildings, and it feels weird not to be able to interact with them.

I think this is an interesting take and I understand where you're coming from. But, what is the alternative I wonder? To have every single building explorable? Obviously that's not an option. So I'm really curious how you would strike the perfect balance between size, interactivity, and immersion. I'd think it's pretty fucking hard and CDPR are the only ones even attempting an open-world Cyberpunk world.

rabbitontherun

Neo Member
I don't know if I'm gonna continue with this game. It runs just poor enough on my PC to ruin my enjoyment, and the idea of building a new PC at the moment is not very viable. Everything is out of stock and very overpriced; it's just not worth it. I think I might wait for the proper PS5 version to come out and all of the bugs to be fixed before giving it another try.

Have you tried geforce now?
I'm playing it with my nvidia shield pro at high settings (DFs recommended settings), it runs pretty smooth.

JonkyDonk

i get how you feel. i was ready to ditch PC gaming and go back to consoles. my Series X lasted 4 days and couldn't get a PS5 so just sticking with PC. mines is still quite powerful so i'm gonna try make it last until these consoles get a slim/pro revision.

first of all it's just a lot of money. my pc cost ~£4K to build as it is right now. i like games but i've realised i don't like them that much. for games when they work it's great but there are times when games are just a mess and you need to jump through hoops to get them working right. even if a game isn't a shitty port i am starting to get real tired of messing about with settings. i remember a while back when I bought RDR2 and i spent FOUR HOURS messing about with settings trying to get the performance just right. i played only a tiny bit of the game in that time. i kept thinking "i just wanna fucking play the game!". ended up just playing it on PS4 and not worrying about settings/performance.
Absolutely. I was lucky enough to grab a PS5, and whenever I take a break from struggling through the stuttering mess of Cyberpunk and play something like GoT on PS5, it is so much more pleasant. If I end up going through with this plan then I'll eventually pick up the Series X too, whenever that makes sense, and hopefully that will keep me happy for the next 3-4 years.

Have you tried geforce now?
I'm playing it with my nvidia shield pro at high settings (DFs recommended settings), it runs pretty smooth.
I tried Geforce Now and it was so blurry. Even though it has RT enabled, the overall image quality is so soft that I couldn't appreciate any details. And there was still some stuttering because of the latency.

Ultimadrago

Question for people that completed the main story. I'm curious how far I am in the main story? I have spent a ton of hours on side content so it feels like I haven't moved much.
I just got the chip describing the parade from Wakako.

Now I feel less bad about those two wanks over her in-game model.

Only 2?

Question for people that completed the main story. I'm curious how far I am in the main story? I have spent a ton of hours on side content so it feels like I haven't moved much.
I just got the chip describing the parade from Wakako.

Only 2?
I'm not as young as I once was.

In response to your question:
You're maybe halfway.

Damn, I'm further than I thought. In my 40 hours play time I've been all but ignoring main quests. Looks like I need to spend more time on the open road doing sidequests and whatnot.
It could depend on the order you've done things to some extent as well though.

Also a lot of the late game side missions should have been main missions, so your progression should consider that too.

The game warns you about the point of no return.

Last edited:

rabbitontherun

Neo Member
I tried Geforce Now and it was so blurry. Even though it has RT enabled, the overall image quality is so soft that I couldn't appreciate any details. And there was still some stuttering because of the latency.

Huh weird. It's not blurry for me - or i can't notice it at least.
You can see my screenshots above, captured with shield (everything set to ultra for the shots only).

Ogbert

Gold Member
I´m heavily disappointed and borderline mad at CDPR. The game could have been so much more.

I think that's where I'm at too.

Although I'm not mad at CDPR. I think, fundamentally, it was just too ambitious. It's trying to be all things to all men and ends up being none.

I've enjoyed it most when I've treated it like a Fallout 4 DLC, scavenging for loot, selling, upgrading and crafting. The stealth and hacking are utterly superfluous. Combat is fun, but it's no shooter. The traits are ill-thought through and too broad. It just needed three branches:

1) Guns
2) Melee
3) Hacking

You could have then tied in cyberware upgrades into that three so time delay went with guns, jumping and speed of movement went with melee and hacking gained new tricks and treats to play with.

Textbook case of less would have been more.

It could depend on the order you've done things to some extent as well though.

Also a lot of the late game side missions should have been main missions, so your progression should consider that too.

The game warns you about the point of no return.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I'm just enjoying taking my time. Really think CDPR knocked this one out of the park.

Cyberpunkd

I think this is an interesting take and I understand where you're coming from. But, what is the alternative I wonder? To have every single building explorable? Obviously that's not an option. So I'm really curious how you would strike the perfect balance between size, interactivity, and immersion. I'd think it's pretty fucking hard and CDPR are the only ones even attempting an open-world Cyberpunk world.
It is an option if you let go of Ubisoft-like recipe for making open world games. Make the world smaller with meaningful choices, and great writing. This sometimes shows in CP2077 but mostly they are chasing the open-world train of endless side activities. This makes sense in AC since Ubisoft would love to sell you that sweet MTX, not so much here.

The game has sparks of some interesting design choices e.g. way more interactive way to handle conversation.

I still remember the game I enjoyed immensely - The Council. Literally walking simulator with a lot of rooms but the choices each time were super meaningful and conversations happened in a very unique way.

It is an option if you let go of Ubisoft-like recipe for making open world games. Make the world smaller with meaningful choices, and great writing. This sometimes shows in CP2077 but mostly they are chasing the open-world train of endless side activities. This makes sense in AC since Ubisoft would love to sell you that sweet MTX, not so much here.

The game has sparks of some interesting design choices e.g. way more interactive way to handle conversation.

I still remember the game I enjoyed immensely - The Council. Literally walking simulator with a lot of rooms but the choices each time were super meaningful and conversations happened in a very unique way.
Smaller, dense open worlds are always the best.

Deus Ex & Disco Elysium are two perfect examples of this.

The quest for bigger and more full of copy & paste side activities is depressing.

If Night City was half the size, with less of the filler activities, it would be a better game 100%.

Less usually IS more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom