• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Reave

All this Era talk. Gross.

Looks like the game turned out alright. Might want to wait for a few patches before I play, though. Can't decide.

Reactions: Isa

Trickster

IGN:
"A beautiful cityscape with a staggering amount of choice (and a few too many bugs)."

And gives it a fucking 9, this is it for these hack sites. I hate to side with shitholes like Gamespot, but they let the bugs impact their final score(along with other things) but THIS is the way to do it.

Anyone with brains should no longer trust review sites based upon the glazing over of all the shitty bugs this game is filled with. This is not a SUBJECTIVE issue this is an OBJECTIVE issue, more than one reviewer has talked about the SAME BUGS, this game is BUGGY.

I don't see why bugs should automatically hugely detract from a review score. A score should be based on how much enjoyment you got out of the game. Like, Bethesda games are notorious for being buggy messes, and yet they are the most fun I've ever had in video games. If I was a reviewer should I have given a game like Skyrim, my favourite game of all time, a 7 or 8 because it was janky and had tons of bugs? I certainly don't think so.

Dynasty8

Yes. Multiple reviews put it at 15-20 hours to blow through the main story. They also stress that's not way to play games and there are lots of side quests with their own multi-part story lines.

I don't see it as any different than things like Elder Scrolls games where the main story is relatively short for an RPG, but the game is long and full of other story lines with the Guilds etc.

I'm actually glad the main story isn't super long as that makes it easier to do one full playthrough trying to knock out most/all sidequests and then play the other two lifestories faster to see the major plot differences.

Got it, thanks. That makes sense.

I moved to Era doing the exodus but during the last few months it's impossible to have any type of discussion there without the ban hammer showing if you disagree with something or if you get someone reporting you because you share a different opinion about their favorite game/plastic machine.

The mods usually goes with the flow and consistency does not exist either you agree with the majority or goodbye.

Although I fully agree with protection specially around minories I don't agree that a discussion 100% around a game cannot happen due to this.

Welcome. You won't be crucified for having a different opinion here. All opinions are welcome.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do the reviews say to play on PS4 or PS5? I’m tempted to just play it on PS4.

It’s funny how one guy says “this is the greatest game I’ve ever played” and the bottom one is like “meh, 6/10”

YongYea said he spent 35 hours to beat without side-quests.

I like a lot the shorter campaign. I never saw a RPG with lots of choices & consequences which has 80+ in length so this is a good sign for me.
Yeah, that has be scratching my head when somebody said 15-20 hours. I've seen 30-35 when focused almost entirely on the main questline.

I think I’m officially done with Resetera after today. Can’t even have a video game discussion there. It has to extrapolate into other topics and it goes into a wash cycle of shit.

if them defending "Cuties" and censoring literally any non-hardcore lefty viewpoint didn't do it... well at least this one did, lol

welcome back!

Being in the mid-80's would be just fine with me. My expectations are not that high. I didn't really like The Witcher 3, so yea. I am intrigued by the world/theme of CyberPunk the most, along with the open-world and RPG aspects of it.

I got burned out on open world and fantasy stuff right around Dragon Age: Inquisition... I couldn't finish TW3.

I fucking *love* cyberpunk anything though. And yea, mid-80s would've been just fine.

Last edited:

gow3isben

91 after 41 reviews with a shit ton of bugs?

So basically GoTY candidate with the bugs and GoTG candidate if it was more polished.

Perfect, will wait for next gen consoles and patch.

Holy shit I didn't think I'd ever post here again, but I REALLY needed a break from Era.

You think in a year like 2020, they'd want people to just relax and play the game to forget about the worlds problems for a bit.
And another one, you're welcome here

5qU1.gif

cripterion

don't really care about reviews personally. the game is bought and installed. still i'm here for anything cyberpunk. will be interesting to see people react. i think A LOT of people are gonna have their balloon burst cause there is too much unrealistic expectations. if it's half as good as Witcher 3 then it'll be a bloody fantastic game.

Yup that's me right there too, the game will never live up to the hype but I'm sure we're in for something special.
I'm locked and loaded on pc but still pondering getting the game on PS5.

Haggard

Banned
When you ignore the reviews with the strange con-points like "transgender representation", "culturally offensive" nonsens which must have been forged in the depths of some crack den then what`s left is a lot of reviewers saying, "a bugged masterpiece."

Sounds like it`s best played in 1-2 months with some more patches under its belly, but it`s a must-play nonetheless.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
About the game and its reviews...

- Top content in world and presentation like you expected from the devs that made TW3.
- The game is very very rushed... all reviewers give a list of a lot bugs/issues.... they will probably take some months to fix most of them.
- The combat (that what made me hate TW3 even being a huge fan of the lore/world/presentation) is not well talked in the reviews... I mean I was in hope to the chance in perspective to make at least a playable game (something TW3 is not).
- The game is very small (well that is probably because it is being rushed) and I'm not even entering in the point of being a RPG.

IMO I will wait the PS5 patch to make my decision... so that way I can avoid most of the bugs/issues.

If somebody has some better description of how is the combat I will be very happy to read.

Last edited:

Isa

Well I'm excited for it. Its been a long time coming, can't wait to get stuck in. I am interested in the length, as on one hand the shorter main length is quite nice as I've been slowly working through my backlog but on the other I hope I will at least enjoy a couple of playthroughs. Which judging from some reviews it seems that choices matter which is nice. Shame about the bugs but I'm glad that the game itself was of sufficient quality that it still provided a great experience.

FunkMiller

91 after 41 reviews with a shit ton of bugs?

So basically GoTY candidate with the bugs and GoTG candidate if it was more polished.

Perfect, will wait for next gen consoles and patch.

Definitely higher metacritic than I was expecting. I get the impression the quality of the actual game's content is enough to override the janky shit.

Not surprised. Witcher 3 was exactly the same.

pratyush

But what the fuck does that has to do with this game? Normal person obviously support pro-trans rights or something like that, but I don't see how is this related...
Never said it is. That's why I said Resetera thread was bonkers. Not sure where we disagree my friend

Trickster

The whole 'main story is short' thing seems a bit pointless. Did it matter to you in Witcher 3 whether you were playing the main quest or side ones? Hell, a lot of times the side ones were more fun. As long as there's a lot of content combined, it doesn't matter to me at all.

Apparently it matters a lot to some people. I've had arguments with people in the last year, who got mad when CDPR said that the main story in 2077 was shorter than in W3. Basically they view the main story as the main reason to buy a game, and see all the side quests and other side content in a game as basically filler shit they don't wanna do.

It's a completely crazy view to me, but apparently there are plenty of people like that

PotatoBoy

When you ignore the reviews with the strange con-points like "transgender representation", "culturally offensive" nonsens which must have been forged in the depths of some crack den then what`s left is a lot of reviewers saying, "a bugged masterpiece."

Sounds like it`s best played in 1-2 months with some more patches under its belly, but it`s a must-play nonetheless.

I need someone to address head-on the initial preview claim that this was a "big budget Deus Ex."

Any videos / reviews besides the VentureBeat one?

The review thread there is like the one here... 10/10 first... 7-6/10 bottom.
I really didn't see any issue there.

I don't believe it is real.

This thread has been closed by mods just half an hour after being opened : '' Staff is re-evaluating how Cyberpunk 2077 threads will be handled. Until a decision is made, this thread will be locked. '', so I guess one can see some issues

Last edited:

Stuart360

Even if the main quest IS 12-15 hours long, thats similar length as Elder Scrolls/Fallout main quest lines, and those games are easy 100+ hour games.
As long as there is enough side missions and side content, it will be fine.

Reactions: Isa

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We have a dedicated thread for ResetEra talk:

Please keep it over there so that the lunacy doesn't seep into the main boards. Thanks.

JeTmAn81

Getting back to the actual review content, I am surprised and intrigued to find that
Johnny Silverhand is a figment of your imagination. This must be why it was so easy to give Keanu more lines. Getting Joker in Arkham Knight vibes from this, which was a lot of fun.

It seems like they are taking a Skyrim approach to this. A short main storyline that is secondary to the hours of endless deep sidequests to engage in.

Shame about the bugs though, seems like they are a little more pervasive than I expected, and I was expecting a lot in an open world game like this.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
In reading through the reviews now it sounds like a good game mixed with a lot of bugs throughout. About what I expected at this point. I'm looking forward to playing it this week and will probably give it a second playthrough next year when all the bugs are ironed out and the next gen patch hits.

CloudNull

Banned
How come other reviewers didn't have it? YounYea mentions that in his mid review the game got updated, but it still wasn't a day one patch.
So I call BS on that tweet.
There is some confusion here. Apparently there are two patches. Some reviewers got one patch while some got none and apparently there is the "real" day one patch.

It could all be FUD and day one patch could be only to fix performance on base consoles. There is a reason they are preventing reviewers from talking about the performance. It is all summed up to just wait and see. Game has been reviewed for what it is and is doing exteremly well.

Top Bottom