• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

TriSuit666

Banned
But here's what I see, I was searching for a Cyberpunk review thread in a certain other place and I couldn't find one, I had to dig 10 pages deep to find this:

A user that posted a legit Cyberpunk review thread and from what I can see, said nothing wrong. The mods reasoning is that they want to suppress Cyberpunk threads...wut? I don't want that kind of censorship here or anywhere else for that matter, or be treated in the way users are treated, it's outright draconian.

Mfmwvlr.png

Did you read the ‘rules’ on that thread? They legit said you couldn’t ‘dismiss’ concerns by saying you enjoyed the game against someone who had an issue with it.

Its legit a banning issue.

Gamespot turned off youtube comments on the review hahaha.

I'm all for people not liking a game,but her review (if you want to call it that) is pure fucking garbage. Who is she fucking over there to have a job.
You clearly didn't watch her video review that came out this morning if you think it's garbage.

Considering I have a wife I wouldn't want her to dumbass. Me not liking pieces of shit on Youtube that do nothing but lie, mislead, and stir up hate doesn't mean I have a thing for her. This is just my latest issue with that particular Youtuber in a long line of them.
Dumbass is the best you got chief? Better up your game if you want to stand any chance with that brilliant wordsmith from Gamespot

(...) Me not liking pieces of shit on Youtube that do nothing but lie, mislead, and stir up hate

You still have time to learn to love yourself, though.

Criticism is now "hate".
"Hate" is bad, terrible even, except when it's Mercenary09 doing the criticizing, I mean the hating on The Quartering. Then it's ok to criticize, I mean, hate.

doesn't mean I have a thing for her. This is just my latest issue with that particular Youtuber in a long line of them.

A long line which ends with you propagating falsehood after falsehood after falsehood after falsehood.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I agree with @DustQueen , sometimes SkillUp is a little too much pretentious, but not here it seems
Really? I've honestly never felt he was ever pretentious, if anything, maybe a bit stern. But for the most part I've always felt he's done a great job explaining himself.

Haven't finished it yet myself, but it sounds solid. The past few big game reviews he's done all kind of fell in line with how I felt, which I wasn't expecting at all. From anyone really.

I'm just glad there's someone that reviews games that treads the same opinions I have closer than anyone else.

Already hyped to get into it, but it's somehow getting worse knowing I'm getting closer to work being over and the game being available, lol.

Last edited:
I actually relate to this... I know the Jeff Grubb you're talking about from D&D fame... and I also played the OG Cyberpunk, along with the OG Shadowrun back in the late 80s/early 90s. What at time... when Tabletop RPGs were king. Remember a lot of fun with friends/RPG groups from that era.
Yes, so, in a way, I've been waiting for this RPG for over 30 years. :)

Reading about these reviews reminds me of the reviews for RDR2 (probably my personal favorite video game of all time). A lot of people just didn't "get" RDR2. They didn't understand that the main draw to most people excited about RDR2 was the atmosphere and the fact that you just couldn't fast travel or take shortcuts to places on the map (I mean, for the most part). One of the biggest reasons for the game - to me and many others - was playing in an atmospheric, gorgeous and hand-crafted wild west sandbox world where we could actually FEEL like a cowboy from a western movie. RDR2 was never supposed to be just another video game where you are trying to get to your next objective, get that next crafted upgrade, and move on until the end so you could immediately turn around and digest the next video game in your list. The whole POINT was to live and breathe in RDR2's world.

And I am hoping that Cyberpunk2077 will be like RDR2 in that regard (similar to the WItcher 3) - a game that you can almost literally immerse yourself in. Just get into it, forget about the bullshit that too much of our modern world has turned into, not have just lists of shit to do and then just "be done" with the game to move onto another. Games like the WItcher 3, RDR2, and, hopefully, Cyberpunk 2077 are more like lifestyle games - they are supposed to be like taking a vacation somewhere and getting away from everything for a while in a world that feels alive, breathing, and as realistic as possible.

Maybe most mainstream reviewers are simply incapable of properly reviewing games like this because their entire job revolves around getting through a game as quickly as possible to move onto the next review. So of course they are going to hold these types of games to the same standards as most other (mostly linear or objectives-based) games. They don't have time to soak in the atmosphere and then rate the game a lower score accordingly.

But, eh, what do I know? If Cyberpunk 2077 just allows me to stand on the balcony of a building several floors up and just watch the pedestrian traffic and the vehicles go by for a while (like when Deckerd is just standing on his balcony in Bladerunner) then I will have gotten my money's worth. Everything else will be gravy.

sevoro

I noticed the white nights go into overdrive if the critic is a woman. I don't remember this vigorous defense for the guy who couldn't get past the cuphead tutorial or that time Arthur geese was terrible at Doom.
Under my scope, that guy has every right to make such a review and shouldn't be focused on or harped about. Equality for all.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With all these crappy looking pre-release videos coming out from gamers who got a copy early, they are playing a shitty unpatched version?

But all the reviewers who also got a copy (even earlier), did their reviews based on a download patch only they got, so that's why their game is better?

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
With all these crappy looking pre-release videos coming out from gamers who got a copy early, they are playing a shitty unpatched version?

But all the reviewers who also got a copy (even earlier), did their reviews based on a download patch only they got, so that's why their game is better?

basically you have people playing the disk version of the game which is awful. and then people playing with a patch that was released last week that works much better. none of those are the day 1 patch but to be honest i don't expect the day 1 patch to fix everything that was broken in the previous patch. however both of those should be a day and night difference compared to the disk version

Last edited:

sevoro

I'll be the one to say it. A game shouldn't have an impact on anyone's life to the point they start raging, it's completely irrational. Most of us just play to escape, if some game doesn't offer that escape just don't play it. I don't see the need to try and change it to conform to some ideal.

harmny

Banned

as i thought. basically a 7 because of politics. the author said the game was offensive. transphobic and that she didn't want to help the cops because ACAB so there you have it.
gamespot chose their fight. but if you do that then don't be surprised when people attack you for it.

Last edited:

sevoro

I don't think any of these nutshell videos really shed light on the content of her review and again are just there to form a narrative. Personally I prefer people read/watch the entire review and decide that she's problematic then. The nutshells take away lots of context. Just a preference.

Her review is still shit.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
I don't think any of these nutshell videos really shed light on the content of her review and again are just there to form a narrative. Personally I prefer people read/watch the entire review and decide that she's problematic then. The nutshells take away lots of context. Just a preference.

Her review is still shit.

oh i agree. i just chose that video just because the parted that i wanted to highlight was edited but i could have shared the actual review with a timestamp

it is clear in the review that the gave the game a 7 for political reasons.

if you say the ad is transphobic. if you think helping the police is bad. if you think the game is racist and offensive. you can't give the game a great score. it's clear that you won't like it. i expect more outlets to follow because now this is not about gaming but about politics.

Last edited:
Can we stop it with the guy? Nobody gives a shit about him. That's at least how I feel.

This video is not on autoplay. You don't have to click and watch it. Nobody is forcing you to watch it and you won't be banned if you don't.
Unless you want to, of course. Your opinion is your own. It certainly does not reflect my own.

As I said earlier, if it's up to me, I can 100% guarantee that as long as the unsubstantiated accusations, the smear campaign and the dockland level of insults go on, I will keep replying in kind.

But thanks for your input, though.

Last edited:
The sad thing there is a chance he will thrive on that. Views, reactions, just look at the thumbnail. “ATTACK ME!”

Your sadness deeply moves me.

It's also a rational way to settle the matter.
You are sad and therefore you are right. You just are. Your feelings are the new standard for Truth, in your mind at least.
No arguments. No evidence. No logic. Nothing.

You have feelings and the world must comply.

You must have had a wonderful past forum experience, if you sincerely think your feelings will persuade anyone who remotely cares about facts and rationality.

Keep them comin'.

sevoro

oh i agree. i just chose that video just because the parted that i wanted to highlight was edited but i could have shared the actual review with a timestamp

it is clear in the review that the gave the game a 7 for political reasons.

if you say the ad is transphobic. if you think helping the police is bad. if you think the game is racist and offensive. you can't give the game a great score. it's clear that you won't like it. i expect more outlets to follow because now this is not about gaming but about politics.
Problem with gaming reviews nowadays, social media, is that they become mired in political commentary and I get sick and tired off it, it's why I don't view this industry as a professional one. I think gone are the days when you could actually get a comprehensive review that was well rounded.

Apparently 1 million people do. How many people are following what you have to say?
I think he meant to say no one with any significance. It's easy for 1 million people to be stupid and thus hold no actual weight. I don't care about the dude or numbers btw, just offering insight.

I think he meant to say no one with any significance. It's easy for 1 million people to be stupid and thus hold no actual weight. I don't care about the dude or numbers btw, just offering insight.
He said what he said. Is it really so easy to start a YouTube channel and find 1 million people that will subscribe to what you have to say in front of camera? Really?

as i thought. basically a 7 because of politics. the author said the game was offensive. transphobic and that she didn't want to help the cops because ACAB so there you have it.
gamespot chose their fight. but if you do that then don't be surprised when people attack you for it.

This is just there to fit a narrative. I watched her 20 minute video review all the way and she had many other negatives about it that warrant the 7/10 score. Many of those same negatives are being said by other reviewers like Skill Up. You can try to paint it in another light and blame it on politics all you want but that's false.

Your sadness deeply moves me.

It's also a rational way to settle the matter.
You are sad and therefore you are right. You just are. Your feelings are the new standard for Truth, in your mind at least.
No arguments. No evidence. No logic. Nothing.

You have feelings and the world must comply.

You must have had a wonderful past forum experience, if you sincerely think your feelings will persuade anyone who remotely cares about facts and rationality.

Keep them comin'.

“Keep then comin”

Of course, so you can continue to deliberately exaggerate a persons point of view on things along with that persons feelings or how upset they must be over a video. Come on man.

harmny

Banned
This is just there to fit a narrative. I watched her 20 minute video review all the way and she had many other negatives about it that warrant the 7/10 score. Many of those same negatives are being said by other reviewers like Skill Up. You can try to paint it in another light and blame it on politics all you want but that's false.

paint what narrative. she's saying the game is racist and transphobic. do you agree with that? do you think you can say your game is bigoted and then score the game a 9? in 2020? in a gaming site based on san francisco? you can't be that naive

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Did you read the ‘rules’ on that thread? They legit said you couldn’t ‘dismiss’ concerns by saying you enjoyed the game against someone who had an issue with it.

The rules on his own thread? What are you even talking about? This was the first post, the OG post got banned. Are you confusing this with Kiuuki's thread? Yea, I think you are lol

MadPanda

Banned

When I read that exact part I just deleted it from my quick access. I never had an account there due to email requirements. I visited neogaf from time to time but it seemed like a much slower place. Anyway, decided to make account and I feel like it's much more civil around here, although I don't go to threads which attract console warriors. That's just sick. I couldn't believe how extreme they were.

sevoro

He said what he said. Is it really so easy to start a YouTube channel and find 1 million people that will subscribe to what you have to say in front of camera? Really?
Never said it was easy to find 1 million people. I said "It's easy for 1 million people to be stupid". Let me put it this way, do you think PewDiePie's audience hold any real weight as people? If no they are nobodies, if yes, well they are people who matter.

I might be reading too much into this.

When I read that exact part I just deleted it from my quick access. I never had an account there due to email requirements. I visited neogaf from time to time but it seemed like a much slower place. Anyway, decided to make account and I feel like it's much more civil around here, although I don't go to threads which attract console warriors. That's just sick. I couldn't believe how extreme they were.
Those people who drive the rage train are very sick in the head. And I mean that in a nice way.

(...)
I think he meant to say no one with any significance.

So 1 million subscribers is not relevant in and of itself?
Who gets to decide who has significance and under what criterion?
You do?
How?
How do you know among that 1 million no one has any "significance"?

Questions, questions.
Will these questions remain a mystery?

It's easy for 1 million people to be stupid and thus hold no actual weight. I don't care about the dude or numbers btw, just offering insight.

Sure. Likewise, I have not said much about his content, other than to point out the magnitude of the smear campaign some are trying to deploy.

Sorry, no can do.

When some posters finally, at long last, have facts to present, let me know.
I've heard a lot about feelings. Facts, nada.

This is not a collective therapy session.

“Keep then comin”

Of course, so you can continue to deliberately exaggerate a persons point of view on things along with that persons feelings or how upset they must be over a video. Come on man.

It's very simple and very easy.

If you think I have misrepresented yours or anybody else's point of view, you quote them and then you quote me. You them explain in what ways I have misrepresented them.

So the obvious question is why haven't you done that?

So, yeah.
Indeed, keep them comin'.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
This video is not on autoplay. You don't have to click and watch it. Nobody is forcing you to watch it and you won0t be banned if you don't.
Unless you want to, of course. Your opinion is your own. It certainly does not reflect my own.

As I said earlier, if it's up to me, I can 100% guarantee that as long as the unsubstantiated accusations, the smear campaign and the dockland level of insults go on, I will keep replying in kind.

But thanks for your input, though.
No I don't have to, you're right. If you care about what he's putting out, I can only say that that's puzzling to me, but sure, it's your prerogative to care about that. I find videos like that tiring and unnecessary. I just tried to convey that. That's all. I think you got that though. It's all good.
Apparently 1 million people do. How many people are following what you have to say?
I know what opportunism, clickbait and generating a narrative is.

To answer your question: Very few people are following what I have to say. Not sure why you feel the need to highlight that noone gives a fuck about me. I'm not comparing myself to him. Where is this supposed to go anyway?

This whole conversation is just drifting off into Blabla land. With some editing.

MrMephistoX

Jesus, the Gamespot review is even worse than I thought. How can they let someone like that review a game like this. So unprofessional.

Ironic that the same company fired Gerstman for giving an honest opinion that a publisher didn’t like but they don’t seem to have a problem with a woke biased opinion that I’m sure the publisher also doesn’t like.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
This is why I miss magazines like gamefan, which were run by regular people who were just excited to play fun games and transfered that hype onto their readers.

Now what you have are a bunch of stuck up stiffs who want to talk down to you because they have a bullshit degree in journalism or something. They act like they are writing for the Wall Street journal. Fuck outta here.

You do?
How?

Questions, questions.

Sure. Likewise, I have not said much about his content, other than to point out the magnitude of the smear campaign some are trying to deploy.

Sorry, no can do.

It's very simple and very easy.

If you think I have misrepresented yours or anybody else's point of view, you quote them and then you quote me. You them explain in what ways I have misrepresented them.

So the obvious question is why haven't you done that?

So, yeah.
Indeed, keep them comin'.

I just find all that stuff a vicious circle. It’s sad in that the ones giving him shit will be laughing at that headline “ATTACK ME” , he also benefits from the views and attention from it. On and on we go. They will continue giving him shit, he’ll retort etc. Of course, it’s his channel , he can do what we wants. I was simply commenting on it, like anybody else. Doesn’t mean I’m upset or the world evolves around my feelings mate. Not at all.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ironic that the same company fired Gerstman for giving an honest opinion that a publisher didn’t like
That's not actually what went down; after the re-merge of GB + GS, Gerstmann had a sitdown with some GS staffer and detailed what exactly was going on back then. It boils down to "an inexperienced management dude with too much power lashed out because of money concerns".

sevoro

You do?
How?

Questions, questions.

Sorry, no can do.

I ain't deciding for anyone or myself, people decide personally. If you want facts I would just look at raw numbers, after that whatever opinion you form is on you, I'm not arguing for any side here, I'm just here to shed light on how people feel in order to get a complete picture of the situation.

The moment people talk about feelings is the moment you aren't going to get facts based on numbers or quantitative data. The only fact I can give you is that some people feel offended, and others don't. I wouldn't want to perform a scientific study on the demographics of people who like X video. That's like taking a gun to your own head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom