• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters
paint what narrative. she's saying the game is racist and transphobic. do you agree with that? do you think you can say your game is bigoted and then score the game a 9? in 2020? in a gaming site based on san francisco? you can't be that naive
If you watched her entire 20 minute video review and the only negatives you heard her talk about is what you're claiming then you are willfully ignorant.

No I don't have to, you're right. If you care about what he's putting out, I can only say that that's puzzling to me, but sure, it's your prerogative to care about that. I find videos like that tiring and unnecessary. I just tried to convey that. That's all. I think you got that though. It's all good.

Thanks for your opinion.

I know what opportunism, clickbait and generating a narrative is.

Misrepresenting criticism as "hate"? Misrepresenting criticism of her review as "targeted harassment" against her? Claiming The Quartering is "hateful" and then insulting him left and right in the most vile terms?

Is that what you mean by "opportunism, clickbait "?

To answer your question: Very few people are following what I have to say. Not sure why you feel the need to highlight that noone gives a fuck about me. I'm not comparing myself to him. Where is this supposed to go anyway?

You made laughable pronouncements about no one caring about The Quartering. May I suggest a heavy dose of modesty?

This whole conversation is just drifting off into Blabla land. With some editing.

Feel free to act in accordance with that opinion.

I ain't deciding for anyone or myself, people decide personally. If you want facts I would just look at raw numbers, after that whatever opinion you form is on you, I'm not arguing for any side here, I'm just here to shed light on how people feel in order to get a complete picture of the situation.

Sure.

The moment people talk about feelings is the moment you aren't going to get facts based on numbers or quantitative data.

The smear-campaigners were repeatedly asked for evidence for their claims .None was provided.

They are free to call their moms and therapists and let them know all about their fact-free feelings. Here, unfortunately, I will have to call out their fact-free hysteria.

The only fact I can give you is that some people feel offended,

Yes, I would say most people must have figured that out by now.

The fact someone was offended says nothing about whether there's good reasons to find the video offensive. Flat Earthers may feel offended when someone points out Earth approximates a globe, but I and hopefully you won't join them just so their feelings are spared and not hurt.

The same principle applies here.

and others don't. I wouldn't want to perform a scientific study on the demographics of people who like X video. That's like taking a gun to your own head.

So do not make pronouncements about The Quartering not appealing to anyone with "significance", a term you used but cannot define, cannot quantify and cannot even present the criteria.

This is entirely on you since you decided to go there, you, not me.

sevoro

So do not make pronouncements about The Quartering not appealing to anyone with "significance", a term you used but cannot define, cannot quantify and cannot even present the criteria.

This is entirely on you since you decided to go there, you, not me.
I was talking about another poster, not myself soooo I dunno what your beef is with me. My exact words were "I think he meant to say no one with any significance". You can outright dismiss me since I said I think. I never said I knew or claimed any facts, except for pointing out people feel offended.

Great review. It simultaneously supercharges my excitement for the game -- and also helps prepare me for the scope of how awful the bugs in this can be. The amount of game breaking bugs that forced him to restart is wild.
You know you have quality Bethesda when you have bugs. It's like fine wine from the WW2 era.

Last edited:
I was talking about another poster, not myself soooo I dunno what your beef is with me. My exact words were "I think he meant to say no one with any significance". You can outright dismiss me since I said I think, I never said I knew or claimed any facts except for pointing out people feel offended.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said.
My bad.
Please accept my apologies.

harlekin

VInny from Giant bomb is doing exactly what people probably shouldnt do.

Running a 3070, with raytracing on, details set to medium. Wrong blacklevel into video capture. And the game looks, ehem...

Toss a coin to your Game Reviewers, and actually tell them how DLSS works, and how this game is meant to be set up. On their own, they are lost.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Running a 3070, with raytracing on, details set to medium. Wrong blacklevel into video capture. And the game looks, ehem...

Toss a coin to your Game Reviewers, and actually tel them how DLSS works, and how this game is meant to be set up. On their own, they are lost.

Is he live-streaming somewhere?

TriSuit666

Banned
The rules on his own thread? What are you even talking about? This was the first post, the OG post got banned. Are you confusing this with Kiuuki's thread? Yea, I think you are lol

No, I think you're getting confused. It's the OT thread on Resetera which's policing how people comment, which I'm referring to.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
If you watched her entire 20 minute video review and the only negatives you heard her talk about is what you're claiming then you are willfully ignorant.

not all but all the major negatives (except for bugs of course) come from political reasons. i don't know what to tell you. it's not my opinion. it is what it is. it's pretty transparent.

Dunki

The point you do not understand is that she keeps her opinion also on Social media like Twitter were she basehes the game for these reasons. She did the same with Days gone. Did she write in the review that she hates white male leads? NO but she did so on Twitter when her review did hit. If you think this does not influence her review you are pretty naive.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Misrepresenting criticism as "hate"? Misrepresenting criticism of her review as "targeted harassment" against her? Claiming The Quartering is "hateful" and then insulting him left and right in the most vile terms?

Is that what you mean by "opportunism, clickbait "?

You made laughable pronouncements about no one caring about The Quartering. May I suggest a heavy dose of modesty?
It's a setup. This whole gig is constructed. If anything, I'd give TQ points for being a puppet master of sorts. I don't think it's worth going into this though. So I'm going to step back, I don't need to lecture you, and you don't need me to lecture you.

not all but all the major negatives (except for bugs of course) come from political reasons. i don't know what to tell you. it's not my opinion. it is what it is. it's pretty transparent.
Uh no they didn't and you have proven you didn't watch it or listen to it. She clearly states that she has problems with how the main story is handled and how various systems like the crafting and economy function. These same points were said by other reviewers like Skill Up. Her review faults the game for much more than "political" reasons.

JackMcGunns

No, I think you're getting confused. It's the OT thread on Resetera which's policing how people comment, which I'm referring to.

But the screenshot I posted, and which you quoted, is not from that thread, it was a Review Thread that he started.

I understand what you're referring to, but you're the one who replied to MY example. My example was a screenshot of someone who posted a new thread, this new thread was a Cyberpunk Review thread. The thread got Locked (Notice how is says: "Not open for further replies") and he was banned, you follow? That is literally what you replied to, so how is it that I'm the one that's confused? help me out here bud.

John2290

I’ve got my PS copy and currently downloading the 40gig patch. Where is the base console footage online already?
SomeOrdinarygamers said it was fine on PRO and with Sony's cert standards, I'd expect it to be much the same but just lower resolution. I can't imagine it'll change much other than that.

harmny

Banned
Uh no they didn't and you have proven you didn't watch it or listen to it. She clearly states that she has problems with how the main story is handled and how various systems like the crafting and economy function. These same points were said by other reviewers like Skill Up. Her review faults the game for much more than "political" reasons.

exactly. her issues with the main story and the whole "the world is superfluos" which she repeats and repeats and repeats are political. if you don't get that then you are the one not paying attention.
crafting and economy are minor issues.

Last edited:

John2290

Watching Angry Joe in twitch, that epilepsy outrage is so hyperbolic. If you're gonna get a seizure from that, you should be be playing games at all.

exactly. her issues with the main story and the whole "the world is superfluos" which she repeats and repeats and repeats are political. if you don't get that then you are the one not paying attention.
crafting and economy are minor issues.
No those weren't the issues. Her problem with the main story is that she never felt connected to V as the main character and that it just wasn't that good. Skill Up also said this. The writing and character of V just isn't interesting like it was in Witcher 3. They both say that the side mission content is vastly more interesting and more of a reason to play the game over the main story.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I understand what you're referring to, but you're the one who replied to MY example. My example was a screenshot of someone who posted a new thread, this new thread was a Cyberpunk Review thread. The thread got Locked (Notice how is says: "Not open for further replies") and he was banned, you follow? That is literally what you replied to, so how is it that I'm the one that's confused? help me out here bud.

Nah, nothing to do with you. At all... bud.

MiguelItUp

No those weren't the issues. Her problem with the main story is that she never felt connected to V as the main character and that it just wasn't that good. Skill Up also said this. The writing and character of V just isn't interesting like it was in Witcher 3. They both say that the side mission content is vastly more interesting and more of a reason to play the game over the main story.
JFC, y'all are still playing hot potato with this? Lmao.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Toss a coin to your Game Reviewers, and actually tell them how DLSS works, and how this game is meant to be set up. On their own, they are lost.
Gb never knew how to set pc games. And Vinny is the worst video producer with this black levels since forever.
Gb is shit

And so the misinformation campaign continues.

I am going to directly quote the written Gamespot review authored by none other than Kallie Plagge herself (source). In the review summary, under "The Bad" she lists 5 points. Please note I am not cherry picking. This is the summary the reviewer herself decided to encapsulate the review with with:

#1,
"There's so much to do that isn't meaningful, so a lot of it ends up feeling superfluous"

"Superficial and often "edgy" aesthetic choices often have no real purpose, which makes them grating rather than adding anything relevant to the world"

Apparently she has no conception of the lore. Gratuitous edginess is a defining feature of the universe.

"The incorporation of different cultures and backgrounds is wildly inconsistent, from good to inaccurate to downright offensive"

So her top 3 negatives don't even include Bugs!
Amazing. It's simply amazing . Bugs make it to number 5, the last position.

it's equally amazing that you would have the audacity to claim with the usual total lack of evidence that characterizes your presence in this threads the review is not driven mostly by real-world politics when her own words condemn her review as ideologically-driven.

Other notable quotes from the same review:

"The result is that there's a fetishization of trans people at every turn, in a game with only one very minor trans character (that I found, at least) and no way to play as an authentically trans character yourself. "

Your repeated claims hold no water whatsoever and your unwillingness to present any evidence condemns you for the semar-campigner you regrettably have decided to show yourself to be.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Considering I have a wife I wouldn't want her to dumbass. Me not liking pieces of shit on Youtube that do nothing but lie, mislead, and stir up hate doesn't mean I have a thing for her. This is just my latest issue with that particular Youtuber in a long line of them.

Then you are no better than them.
Reviewer has an issue with the game.
YouTuber has an issue with the Reviewer.
NeoGAF poster has an issue with the YouTuber.
So on.

At the end of the day you have to just accept that nobody is above criticism.

If a videogame reviewer makes a living critiquing the work of others then she surely can't expect to never face criticism of her own work?

Why bother about some YouTube dude criticising her crappy review? She should be exempt somehow?

Oh HIS critique must be held to a high standard?

However, you are clearly fine with harsh criticism of said YouTuber so how come criticism manages to conveniently skip a level here?

Reviewer criticised the game. This is fine. Her opinion. It's all good.

YouTube guy criticised the review. This is not OK. Harassment, etc etc.

Poster on here criticises the YouTube guy. He's a shitty person etc. It's mysteriously back to being all OK again.

It comes across as very hypocritical.

Then you are no better than them.
Reviewer has an issue with the game.
YouTuber has an issue with the Reviewer.
NeoGAF poster has an issue with the YouTuber.
So on.

At the end of the day you have to just accept that nobody is above criticism.

If a videogame reviewer makes a living critiquing the work of others then she surely can't expect to never face criticism of her own work?

Why bother about some YouTube dude criticising her crappy review? She should be exempt somehow?

Oh HIS critique must be held to a high standard?

However, you are clearly fine with harsh criticism of said YouTuber so how come criticism manages to conveniently skip a level here?

Reviewer criticised the game. This is fine. Her opinion. It's all good.

YouTube guy criticised the review. This is not OK. Harassment, etc etc.

Poster on here criticises the YouTube guy. He's a shitty person etc. It's mysteriously back to being all OK again.

It comes across as very hypocritical.
Look my and many others problem with his video is the fact that it is listed and talked about in a way that makes it sound like she didn't play the game. It is a blatant misleading video that is used on people who have no brain cells or time to find the truth themselves. He claims that because she didn't craft she didn't do her job. Well guess what? According to other reviewers the crafting is pointless which is probably why she didn't do it. She didn't buy cars really either and as another reviewer said that is likely because you can't hardly afford anything in the game. Yet she was blamed for not playing the game. If you want to come up with valid points to criticize her review for fine but when she skipped things that made sense then she shouldn't be faulted. The Q and his audience haven't played the game to know these things about it like she and others have.

"You didn't craft in an RPG? You didn't do your job." Yeah well crafting may be important and functional in other RPGs but from everything I've heard that isn't the case in Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe they should learn about the game before attacking her.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Look my and many others problem with his video is the fact that it is listed and talked about in a way that makes it sound like she didn't play the game. It is a blatant misleading video that is used on people who have no brain cells or time to find the truth themselves. He claims that because she didn't craft she didn't do her job. Well guess what? According to other reviewers the crafting is pointless which is probably why she didn't do it. She didn't buy cars really either and as another reviewer said that is likely because you can't hardly afford anything in the game. Yet she was blamed for not playing the game. If you want to come up with valid points to criticize her review for fine but when she skipped things that made sense then she shouldn't be faulted. The Q and his audience haven't played the game to know these things about it like she and others have.

"You didn't craft in an RPG? You didn't do your job." Yeah well crafting may be important and functional in other RPGs but from everything I've heard that isn't the case in Cyberpunk 2077. Maybe they should learn about the game before attacking her.
uhh...skillup criticized the crafting system after playing 50 hours, and noting that the system doesn't mesh well with how the combat system balances combat. He didn't try it one time, and then ignore it.

Skillup also didn't go on a rant about political issues. Using his and other reviews to shield her is shitty, and your comments about this youtuber are so over the top it makes the rest of your argument look silly. Your just looking for a reason to bash him, and pretending his boring critique of her is some serious offense is laughable. He didn't like a review, move on

Point me a review where someone says that they werent able to finish the game due to a game breaking bug

"I had to load a savestate to correct a bug". Oh, the horror!

Havent seen anything quite like "multiple restarts because of progression bugs", but you can point me out some
In new Vegas' case, can't load a save state when the game corrupts all your saves, nice try, thankfully I didn't get the Fallout 4 elevator one when I palyed it at launch. In Witcher 3's case I reload my last 3 auto saves and Eredin's AI was bugged in all 3 so I wasn't going back further so I just saved the proper final until replaying when DLC released, rest were a few that broke a few side quests, thankfully none of the major story tie-in ones.

Anyway, I just saw your post on the base PS4 in the other thread. kind of ironic you got onto me for saying I was thinking (as I was undecided) of sitting on my copy until some patches (already bought), and now you're thinking the same thing. Regardless of your attitude here, I still feel bad for you since you were even more excited for the game than me, but I'm not playing on my base PS4 in its current state, as much as I want to.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That's also exactly my problem with Jeff Grub's review

He complained about the game not being revolutionary (really)

He expected things like: being able to sit on every bench (yeah, he also complained about this), being able to enter every building, being able to play in some slot machines, complained about offering "limited" options for stealth and combat ....

And man, this pisses me off. Because we have RDR 2 sitting at a 97 MC score.

A game where you can't sit on every bench and interact with every object.
Where you can't enter every building. Where you can't interact with NPCs more than "hi" or "rob".
Where mission design is ATROCIOUS, all you do is shoot shoot bang bang, and you can't even deviate from the linear path otherwise its "game over".

Where was he in 2018 to tear a new asshole in RDR 2 with those criticisms?

Witcher 3 didnt revolutionize gaming in 2015. It was just a damn good game in almost all fronts. And being good at that level is something so rare, that despite not revolutionizing the gaming world, it was still my GOTG.

And I expect the same with Cyberpunk.
This type of post.

This is why I love GAF.

Saruhashi

Banned

You're just going round in circles now. Stop.

If it's OK for you to harshly criticise him then it's OK for him to harshly criticise her.

Of course he is a bit over the top. He's a YouTuber. This kind of stuff is his "thing".

You gotta move on from this.

mcjmetroid

That GameSpot review was really embarrassing. I can't believe they let that on their site.

It's even funnier that they disabled comments on their YouTube video.

No confidence at all in it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With so many last gen users who are going to play this game, 2077 is going to get destroyed in user scores. I'm going to predict a 3 or 4/10 on average. There's no way all the PC and next gen console users will be able to counter all the base Xbox and PS4 users who will play the game say "WTF is this?!"

Saruhashi

Banned

So I watched his video and I would recommend that others watch it too.

The amount of shit he is getting over this is hilarious and really shows up some of these game journalists.

He is 100% entitled to his opinion on her review. Even if he is wrong. Even if his opinion was "hurr durr women don't know anything about games".

Some of the abuse he is getting is ridiculous and journos asking their followers to report and flag his content is out of order.

They simply will not tolerate any criticism of their own. Fucking hypocrites.

These are supposed to be professional video game reviewers and they are having a meltdown because some guy said one of their reviews was shite.

So I watched his video and I would recommend that others watch it too.

The amount of shit he is getting over this is hilarious and really shows up some of these game journalists.

He is 100% entitled to his opinion on her review. Even if he is wrong. Even if his opinion was "hurr durr women don't know anything about games".

Some of the abuse he is getting is ridiculous and journos asking their followers to report and flag his content is out of order.

They simply will not tolerate any criticism of their own. Fucking hypocrites.

These are supposed to be professional video game reviewers and they are having a meltdown because some guy said one of their reviews was shite.

There is immense irony in his criticism of her review - which I'm not passing comment on - in his criticism being described as "targeted harassment" and branded as "sexist" and "hateful" and then a few people in this very thread, in this very thread alone calling him a "stain", "piece of shift" and what not.

It never ceases to maze me when the most bitter, vicious and resentful vitriol seems to come from the very same people who are always crying "hate", always praising inclusiveness but nevertheless pointing fingers down.

Won't these smear-campaigners introspect just once in a while?

LivingD3AD

Metro Game Central - 8 out of 10
Cyberpunk 2077 is More formulaic than it first appears, with most of the ideas having been done before in various similar games. Story missions lack meaningful choices and the tone can often be obnoxious!

John2290

Is it changed from what was shown in June (braindane trailer)?
Not sure if it has changed but It's just half a second of minor white flashes you'd see on some flickering LED lights in real life. I've learned since I posted that reply that the person who brought it up first called it out cause"it looks like" the real world device used to induce epilepsy and not the flashes themselves, everyone rolled with it to use as Ammo against CDPR.

kuncol02

Banned
Not sure if it has changed but It's just half a second of minor white flashes you'd see on some flickering LED lights in real life. I've learned since I posted that reply that the person who brought it up first called it out cause"it looks like" the real world device used to induce epilepsy and not the flashes themselves, everyone rolled with it to use as Ammo against CDPR.
That's how it looked then:

As you said. If someone is on risk getting seizure from that, then that person really should not play videogames. Especially that flashy as Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Overall if you have PS4/Xbox One/Weaker PC dont buy it. This is next-gen game and should never be put on last gen hardware, its just money grab.

If you have PS5/XSX/S wait for next-gen version in 2021.

Top Bottom