• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYGNI ༺|OT|༻ All Buns Blazing

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Tried stage 1 on easy and I still suck. Got to the boss but instantly died. One thing I hate is that there is no checkpoint system and if you die, nothing carries over. It's start again at the beginning of the level. I've tried 3x and .....I get nothing. But it's still cool and a pretty intense game. I felt a bit worn out even after I got to the level 1 boss.
Remember that you can spam missile more than you think, it just takes a lot of active energy management.

Fill up your weapons (R1). Fill up your shields.

Then any orbs flying around are a free missile shot. Just have to fire the missiles, then R1 to power up weapons again (leaving blank slots in shield). Then absorb every free orb flying around.

Not sure if that makes sense. It's not as complex as it sounds, but takes a bit to get. And juggling that while dodging is a learning curve.

Anytime you're getting hit a bunch and feel you're in danger, just tap L1 a few times to fill shields.

I’ll be downloading this tonight, excited to give it a try. I generally only play old school cave shmups, but for free, I can see no reason to not try it.

simpatico

Gold Member
🚨🚨ALERT ALERT 🚨🚨

We’ve got a situation here boys. This game came out of nowhere and will likely see my top 10 of the year. Despite the Epic giveaway, I bought it in Steam to support a big budget shmup. And what a shmup it is! Geez I don’t want to get too far into it, so here my points.

- Diverting energy to weapons or shields mechanic feels great. Slamming LB if you’re in the shit. Doing the same to RB when you’re feeling pretty good about your situation and want to bring some heat. Already loving this mechanic.

- Amazing set pieces. Anyone reading this, even if you’re not a shmup player(yet), this is one worth checking out. Easy difficulty is fine for anyone, and it’s really worth seeing some of these bosses and levels. Amazing stuff.

Esca

Going to grab this when I can. I love the energy resource management and shields. I such at shumps but I did up ikargura regularly still since it first came up

simpatico

Gold Member
Going to grab this when I can. I love the energy resource management and shields. I such at shumps but I did up ikargura regularly still since it first came up
“I’m low on health, but so is the boss, fuck it RB RB RB RB” is a fun thing to do tbh. Interesting how quickly it becomes instinct.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Beat the game on easy, really enjoyed it! I tried the first level on medium difficulty and got my ass handed to me lol

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Remember that you can spam missile more than you think, it just takes a lot of active energy management.

Fill up your weapons (R1). Fill up your shields.

Then any orbs flying around are a free missile shot. Just have to fire the missiles, then R1 to power up weapons again (leaving blank slots in shield). Then absorb every free orb flying around.

Not sure if that makes sense. It's not as complex as it sounds, but takes a bit to get. And juggling that while dodging is a learning curve.

Anytime you're getting hit a bunch and feel you're in danger, just tap L1 a few times to fill shields.
Finally beat the 1st level. after a couple more tries. It does get a bit easier once you know how to manage the weapons and shields. I got to the boss without losing a life and at full weapons and shields. Haven't tried the 2nd level yet.

How does the upgrade screen work. I cannot make heads or tails of it. I had 25 points to use. I unlocked a gun slot but nothing seemed to change and I didn't see any new guns. Are there any instruction on how that all works?

Punished Miku

Finally beat the 1st level. after a couple more tries. It does get a bit easier once you know how to manage the weapons and shields. I got to the boss without losing a life and at full weapons and shields. Haven't tried the 2nd level yet.

How does the upgrade screen work. I cannot make heads or tails of it. I had 25 points to use. I unlocked a gun slot but nothing seemed to change and I didn't see any new guns. Are there any instruction on how that all works?
I've just been barely playing this, so I honestly still don't know.

I unlocked the passive ones on the sides. Homing shot is the biggest thing I've unlocked so far, and radial damage, whatever that is.

I need a tutorial on it. I was going to just try and finish the 7 stages first and see if it unlocks something. I just beat stages 1-4 so far. Just played a stage every other day or so. Need to put more time into it. I don't know how the pattern creation works, or all the unlocks on the left for gun, or the drone thing.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble with stages 2-4, but I would get homing shot ASAP.

Last edited:

D_N_G

played a bunch (finished everything on easy so far) and watched the short videos here which kinda helped https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1248080/view/4324103463990239654
tried to make a quick synopsis for you guys, please feel free to correct anything

- There arent any new main weapons guns to unlock but you can customize weapons (trajectory, homing)
- P1/P2 profiles exist if you want to save 2 overall ship customization configs for various runs/stages
- collect powerups during stage runs to get points to use to unlock the upgrades

Gun Presets
Upgrade Gun or Drone for 25

- These pretty much only unlock the capability to change the trajectory of the shots per power level (wide vs straight ahead)
- Each 25 upgrade allows you to do this for each power level (shifting power between guns/shields in realtime changes power levels - think kinda like Gradius)
- Full power is represented by the main gun/drone pair on the left of the center Equipped menu, weak power are the dron/main gun pair on the right of the center Equipped menu
- At full power you may want to fire straight ahead and at weak power maybe you want to do wide, you get to choose (but you have to unlock the capability first)

Homing Missiles
- Upgrade qty of missles fired
- Upgrade damage they do based on where the shots hit the enemy
- Missiles use weapon power slot to shoot (if you fire once at full power you lose a power level and so on for each subsequent firing until your ship is at the weakest power)

Special upgrades Air to surface
Salvo

- Fires shots faster at ground enemies

Homing
- Allows you to lock in on a ground enemy vs aiming the cursor
- Toggle activated

Special Upgrades Air to Air
2 side Drones

- Once unlocked on the right side of the menu adds 2 extra shots
- Each 25pt upgrade allow you to change trajectory per power level like the main gun (see 1st section up top)

Homing Projectiles
- The % listed above each main gun/drone pair in the center of the menu is the amount of shots that will Home in when at that power level
- 50 % means at that power level 50% of the shots will track enemies
- This can be changed to 0% if you dont want any homing at a power level, or 100% if you want full homing at a power level

Raylight
- Once unlocked press toggle key/button to activate, press toggle key/button to swap back to main gun
-Swaps out main guns for a strong blast
- Seems to takes out shields faster on bosses
- Shoot a big enemy with raylight then swap back to main guns seems to kill them a bit faster

Weapons of Mass Destruction
Shield Blast
- Like a bomb in other shmups
- Uses Shield power to activate

Gun Designer
- Can be used to customize a wider range values vs using definded trajectories/homing percentages

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
played a bunch (finished everything on easy so far) and watched the short videos here which kinda helped https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1248080/view/4324103463990239654
tried to make a quick synopsis for you guys, please feel free to correct anything

- There arent any new main weapons guns to unlock but you can customize weapons (trajectory, homing)
- P1/P2 profiles exist if you want to save 2 overall ship customization configs for various runs/stages
- collect powerups during stage runs to get points to use to unlock the upgrades

Gun Presets
Upgrade Gun or Drone for 25

- These pretty much only unlock the capability to change the trajectory of the shots per power level (wide vs straight ahead)
- Each 25 upgrade allows you to do this for each power level (shifting power between guns/shields in realtime changes power levels - think kinda like Gradius)
- Full power is represented by the main gun/drone pair on the left of the center Equipped menu, weak power are the dron/main gun pair on the right of the center Equipped menu
- At full power you may want to fire straight ahead and at weak power maybe you want to do wide, you get to choose (but you have to unlock the capability first)

Homing Missiles
- Upgrade qty of missles fired
- Upgrade damage they do based on where the shots hit the enemy
- Missiles use weapon power slot to shoot (if you fire once at full power you lose a power level and so on for each subsequent firing until your ship is at the weakest power)

Special upgrades Air to surface
Salvo

- Fires shots faster at ground enemies

Homing
- Allows you to lock in on a ground enemy vs aiming the cursor
- Toggle activated

Special Upgrades Air to Air
2 side Drones

- Once unlocked on the right side of the menu adds 2 extra shots
- Each 25pt upgrade allow you to change trajectory per power level like the main gun (see 1st section up top)

Homing Projectiles
- The % listed above each main gun/drone pair in the center of the menu is the amount of shots that will Home in when at that power level
- 50 % means at that power level 50% of the shots will track enemies
- This can be changed to 0% if you dont want any homing at a power level, or 100% if you want full homing at a power level

Raylight
- Once unlocked press toggle key/button to activate, press toggle key/button to swap back to main gun
-Swaps out main guns for a strong blast
- Seems to takes out shields faster on bosses
- Shoot a big enemy with raylight then swap back to main guns seems to kill them a bit faster

Weapons of Mass Destruction
Shield Blast
- Like a bomb in other shmups
- Uses Shield power to activate

Gun Designer
- Can be used to customize a wider range values vs using definded trajectories/homing percentages
Thank you. That helps a lot. Some of it still seems confusing but I just need to get through more stages.
BTW, replaying levels and beating the boss get you the same points each time?

Hyphen

I take back what I said about the music - Initially I was not impressed, probably because I was too busy getting used to the game. However, having worked my way through 'Easy', and one level away from completing all stages on 'Medium', I'm certainly starting to appreciate it more. For example, the first few minutes of Canyon Graveyard [Level 2] - :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Beat it on Easy finally. I loved it. Going to keep playing. The stage 6 and 7 bosses were both pretty cool.
After a rough attempt at stage 1 last week, I tried stage 2 today. I beat it 1st time!! Although I only got 17 credits (or whatever it is). How does one get upgrade points, credits, tokens? But anyway, It was a great run. I actually got into the groove of switching and managing shields and weapons. It's quite a balancing act, but fun. ....oh and also the ground weapons too.....

Punished Miku

After a rough attempt at stage 1 last week, I tried stage 2 today. I beat it 1st time!! Although I only got 17 credits (or whatever it is). How does one get upgrade points, credits, tokens? But anyway, It was a great run. I actually got into the groove of switching and managing shields and weapons. It's quite a balancing act, but fun. ....oh and also the ground weapons too.....
No idea on the points. I get 10 to 150 a stage. I really dont know.

Tried arcade mode and my guns are way bigger. I clearly dont understand the upgrade menu, still.

Hyphen

I think you accumulate 'points' to spend by collecting the power-up icons in game when your shield gauge is totally full. Despite how cool the tutorial is portrayed, there's still so much of the mechanics of this game that aren't explained.

Punished Miku

I think you accumulate 'points' to spend by collecting the power-up icons in game when your shield gauge is totally full. Despite how cool the tutorial is portrayed, there's still so much of the mechanics of this game that aren't explained.
Thats interesting. Yeah sometimes I get 20 points a level. Sometimes I get 350.

P.S. you were right, the music is growing on me.

A.Romero

I liked the game a lot. Started on easy and breezed through the stages, probably just had to repeat the last one once.

Next I tried on normal and got my ass handed to me during the first stage. The difficulty of this game is no joke.

Still, enjoyed it a lot. Just wish it was more accessible (understanding weapons and upgrades is a pain in the ass).

protonion

I played 3 levels.

I have mixed feelings...
It is fun to play (the graphics and effects help) but at the same time I think it is poorly designed.
The enemies and bullets have too chaotic patterns. You cannot learn the game, just rely on the shields. It feels that you are constantly brute forcing your way through.

Top Bottom