• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

I'm buying this today when I get home. I'm so fucking excited to be playing Swerys new game. I love Deadly Premonition. Can't wait to get home.
How long is the first part?
That theme song...so good. It's no Life is Beautiful but still has a damn good feel to it.

You can buy clothing items with in-game money/points from Amanda in the apartment. Some of them, usually the more expensive ones, can increase or decrease your stamina, vision and life bars (you can see what stats are affected before you buy). Then you need to go to the bedroom and equip them from the closet.

If you fill out Amanda's presents bar, you will get a discount on the next purchase. That's really handy for buying the most expensive items.

Oh, and you can also get rare items (I believe you can't buy them or find them elsewhere) in packages found by the front door when you dive out of a flashback. Another reason to go back to the apartment from time to time.

thanks, very helpful.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Does anybody know where Letter 5 is? I cant find it and I've gone up and down the apartment in vision mode

I can't remember which that is but did you get the one out on
the terrace?
It wasn't until Ep 2 that I even realized I could go out there.

I'm buying this today when I get home. I'm so fucking excited to be playing Swerys new game. I love Deadly Premonition. Can't wait to get home.
That theme song...so good. It's no Life is Beautiful but still has a damn good feel to it.

Ep 1 took me 1hr 50min forget how long prologue took me.

TriAceJP

I was flipping through the thread but couldn't seem to find an answer: will the additional episodes be an extra charge or is this a one time buy?

Prologue took me about 45 mins probably? I also got about half an hour into Episode 1 -- wished I had time to finish it but didn't. Oh well, more tonight!

I was flipping through the thread but couldn't seem to find an answer: will the additional episodes be an extra charge or is this a one time buy?

I can say with 99.99% certainty that they will be an extra charge. What you'll get for free, however, are weekly downloadable costumes that tie into other games.

The first should be announced today, right?

PhatSaqs

Banned
I played this for a bit with Kinect and was like wtf is this game (no I never played DP). I'll try with the controller.

Is the only way to save is by using a phone? Or can I just turn off my xbox and come back later?

Suspend/resume didn't work for me. I mean, the game resumed, but it said the user was not logged in anymore, and I was returned to the main menu.

I wonder if it's Kinect-related, however. If you're playing with a controller, maybe you should give it a try and let us know whether it works.

Alx

By the way, it's ridiculous how you have to say "Xbox,go to D4 : Dark Dreams Don't Die" to start the game. Just let us say "Xbox, go to D4".
I'm sure some trollish dev will soon enough publish a game called "The big bug bit the little beetle" just to mess with us.

By the way, it's ridiculous how you have to say "Xbox,go to D4 : Dark Dreams Don't Die" to start the game. Just let us say "Xbox, go to D4".
I'm sure some trollish dev will soon enough publish a game called "The big bug bit the little beetle" just to mess with us.

Other ridiculous mouthfulls:

"Xbox go to Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition!"
"Xbox go to Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare!"

We really need nicknames.

I thought the prologue and episodes 1 and 2 were the first season. Are we getting more episodes before a season 2 for that $14.99 price?

"Xbox go to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition." It actually works, btw.

What's hilarious is that shorthand names work on the PS4 with just a headset.

"BF4" takes you to Battlefield 4.
"AC4" takes you to Assassin's Creed IV.
"Killzone" takes you to Killzone: Shadow Fall

And no you don't have to say "PS4, go to"... or anything either.

What's hilarious is that shorthand names work on the PS4 with just a headset.

"BF4" takes you to Battlefield 4.
"AC4" takes you to Assassin's Creed IV.
"Killzone" takes you to Killzone: Shadow Fall

And no you don't have to say "PS4, go to"... or anything either.

How does that work? Every time you say Killzone while wearing a headset it launches the game?

def sim

I wasn't able to finish this in one go, but I have high hopes for tonight. The creepy Doctor Mutombo and Avant-Gaaaaaarde guy are amazing, though my favorite is Phillip Cheney so far. He reminds me of Liquid Snake.

Finished the latest episode! MAN it was an awesome experience. I played mostly with Kinect and sometimes with the controller if my Kinect started bugging out.

Best Xbox One game.

Finished the latest episode! MAN it was an awesome experience. I played mostly with Kinect and sometimes with the controller if my Kinect started bugging out.

Best Xbox One game.

How do you switch between the two? Just turn on a controller? Does it automatically recognize it?

I've only been playing with Kinect thus far, but my arms have gotten tired holding my hands up the whole time.

Cuphead

Banned
Ended up enjoying this way more than the Wolf among us and Walking dead games.

I may have been able to focus more on the action sequences using a kinect but using the controller did not bother me at all.

The characters were interesting, the voice acting was comedic in an enjoyable way. This game nails it's atmosphere, everything no matter how silly feels like it belongs in this crazy game world.

The quicktime events were slightly more involved than I anticipated but not too crazy where they would have detracted from the scenes taking place.

I'm not a huge fan of this dirty cel-shaded style but I prefer it in this game to others that have recently used it, most likely due to the nice animations seen in this game.

Can't wait to see what's next.

4 strong cups out of 5

I thought you could move by pointing two fingers in that direction, has that been changed or is it only for the episodes ? I thought that feature was a great idea when I heard about it in the previews, and grabbing footstep icons is the only think I dislike for now.

I checked this and it indeed works. First you stick your fingers out until it recognizes the shape (should be near-instant), place the pointer over the node you want to move to, and prod slightly. Sometimes it won't recognize it immediately, so try other similar motions.

How do you switch between the two? Just turn on a controller? Does it automatically recognize it?

I've only been playing with Kinect thus far, but my arms have gotten tired holding my hands up the whole time.

Turn it on and hold any button for a few seconds. If you want to return to Kinect controls, hold your hand above your head for a few seconds.

Jawmuncher

Looks like I have glitched achievements.
Can't get the starting game and beating the tutorial ones.

Also the first action sequence won't unlock either. Weird guess I don't gotta give a shit about trying to get all the achieves now.

First DLC
Killer Instinct / Crimson Dragon / Powerstar Golf Clothes
9/24 for Free
hnmD2m9.png

Robbit

Banned
Are voice overs sometimes playing in ridiculously low volumes for others? It doesn't happen 100%.. I'm not sure if it's certain scenes..

Alfredo

So, is there any question that Amanda is actually cat, and David just sees her as a human for some reason?

Before I even saw human Amanda, I checked the TV and saw a flashback of Peggy and a cat named "Amanda." So I was even more surprised when a human jumped out of the back door and attacked David.

cool_dude

Banned
This game needs to get popular by word of mouth. It's really fun to play with Kinect. I had guests over that watched me play too and they also enjoyed the story, humor, and Kinect gestures. Way to go Swery!

so I did all of the side mission things for Amanda, by buying stuff. The achievement did not pop for doing one. Does she have more missions later, or am I just fucked out of that achievement now? at least in this playthrough

I thought the prologue and episodes 1 and 2 were the first season. Are we getting more episodes before a season 2 for that $14.99 price?

"Xbox go to Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition." It actually works, btw.

I definitely agree we need nick names!

However, two of those can be shortened today. It seems like there is some support for having Kinect pick up different names, so maybe it's a dev thing they have to do?

For example, these two work instead of the ones you guys listed:
"Xbox go to Guacamelee"
"Xbox go to Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls"

Both of those work and are shorter than the ones you guys listed. Heck, Xbox Go To Guacamelee is about as short as you can make that command. Granted, I wish I could just say "Xbox go to Diablo 3", but alas...

Also, I wish they would show the shortest possible name on the text it displays so you even are aware of the shortcuts. It's not surprising to see people mention the Guacamelee thing because on the screen the green text implies you have to say the entire thing, when it doesn't require all of that. If I get one of these games which have a pain in the ass name to say, I usually try a few combinations to see if I can find shortcuts, and there usually is a secondary name.

So, is there any question that Amanda is actually cat, and David just sees her as a human for some reason?
I'm almost certain she is Peggy's cat. I think Kaysen probably sees her as a cat, too. The bullet to the brain likely changed David's perception of her.

I haven't finished Episode 2 yet, so I guess I'll see what develops.

Looks like I have glitched achievements.
Can't get the starting game and beating the tutorial ones.

Also the first action sequence won't unlock either. Weird guess I don't gotta give a shit about trying to get all the achieves now.
It looks like if you suspend the game you get logged out of your profile, thus you don't get achievements unless you log back in.

Bessy67

Thanks, I was wondering how to use the go to command with this game. I tried just D4 and D4 Season One (which is what it says when you say xbox select).

Top Bottom