• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

HOLY SHIT!

Everything about episode is incredible. The characters, the swerves in the plot, the music. Holy shit man, I can't believe how incredible that entire episode was, easily the most fun I've had with a game so far this year.

I'll probably tackle episode 2 next week, I want this to last as long as possible.

Up to episode 2 now. Exploring all around and doing all side cases along the way. This is the real deal, SWERY killed it with this game.

Tip for controller users: go into options and change the cursor speed to fast. Made it much more enjoyable to move about.

Max out Amanda's present meter in the store = this scene lol wow

My GF and I couldn't stop laughing at this. Best moment so far, so out of left field.

AVAAAAAAANT GAAAAAAAARDE!!!!

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
Played through it a couple times this weekend and really enjoyed it. I feel like this Telltale-like format works really well for SWERY's storytelling. I always felt like the combat sections in Deadly Premonition dragged that game down at points. No such issues with an adventure game though.

Like others in this thread I just hope it sells enough to warrant continuation of the series. I had to search to find it in the games store. I don't know why Microsoft is hiding such a great game.

By the way, does anyone happen to know the location of the 5th letter from Peggy off the top of their head? It's the only one I am missing.

Pollux

HOLY SHIT!

Everything about episode is incredible. The characters, the swerves in the plot, the music. Holy shit man, I can't believe how incredible that entire episode was, easily the most fun I've had with a game so far this year.

I'll probably tackle episode 2 next week, I want this to last as long as possible.

Miles, as a fellow TT fan I bought this game off nothing more than your reactions in this thread....into episode 1 I am not disappointed. The motion controls take some time to get used to but other that this game is great! Good call, my friend.

I'm going through this as slowly as possible and loving it.

There's a medal in his bedroom shower and I can't figure out how to get it. It's driving me mad.

Edit: Thought I'd share some time saving controller tips. You can walk by flicking the right stick towards a walk icon instead of having to select it, and you can toggle through anything that you can interact with (to my knowlege) with the d-pad. You can also turn 180 degrees by hitting down/up on the right stick.

Edit 2: Got the medal by leaning with the bumpers.

Yuterald

Anyone trying to fill/complete the "Collection" screen/lists at the end of the Episodes? I'm only missing a few Observations and Objects for the Prologue and I've replayed the intro 3 times already! There's so much hidden cool shit all over the place!

sector4

I didn't have as much luck as you guys with kinect controls unfortunately, sitting down it didn't seem to be able to track my hands with any consistency. Standing up was better, but it had a really had time registering pushes and making a fist to select items, luckily it plays really well with a controller, but I'm willing to give Kinect another shot, any tips?

Freaking awesome game though, absolutely loved every moment, Swery is incredible. So many lols too haha!

It was about 6 hours all up for me trying to do all side quests, 1 hour in the prologue, 2.5 hours on each episode.

Anyone trying to fill/complete the "Collection" screen/lists at the end of the Episodes? I'm only missing a few Observations and Objects for the Prologue and I've replayed the intro 3 times already! There's so much hidden cool shit all over the place!

Yes, I'm 100% done with the prologue, tomorrow I might try the first episode, I missed a hell of a lot stuff there.

benzy

Man, they're bringing back Phantom Dust. They're not afraid to push those quality, small-scale products right now. It's a good idea, actually, builds up the brand very nicely.

Publish these niche titles and don't even bother to advertise the damn thing.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

D4 Pro-Tips that might not be immediately apparent:

-At any point during a "Dive", you can hit the start menu and jump back to David's apartment to refuel/shop. Kaysen will give you a free meal that fully restores your stamina and drinking from the sink will restore your vision.

-If using the controller, you can press the left and right bumpers to lean. Holding both bumpers at the same time allows you to look down.

-Different clothing and facial hair gives different stat boosts. Mix and match them to optimize your stamina/vision/health buffs.

-If using the controller, set the cursor speed to "fast".

Feel free to post some more.
Don't know what happens with kinect, but on a controller during the QTE sequences you can see what's about to show up almost like a rhythm game scrolling across the bottom. RS is orange and LS is blue, so you can already hold them in advance since you can see what direction it'll go. It almost seems necessary to get perfects.
Nice, I hadn't caught that.

Yuterald

Yes, I'm 100% done with the prologue, tomorrow I might try the first episode, I missed a hell of a lot stuff there.

Man, I keep replaying the Prologue and I can't seem to find 2 Objects and like 5 observations. Ugh. Could replay these chapters forever though, lol, so in love with this game!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Corn Flakes and Tequila lol

Seriously, lol. I love all the food scenes.

D4 Pro-Tips that might not be immediately apparent:

-At any point during a "Dive", you can hit the start menu and jump back to David's apartment to refuel/shop. Kaysen will give you a free meal that fully restores your stamina and drinking from the sink will restore your vision.

-If using the controller, you can press the left and right bumpers to lean. Holding both bumpers at the same time allows you to look down.

-Different clothing and facial hair gives different stat boosts. Mix and match them to optimize your stamina/vision/health buffs.

Feel free to post some more.

Don't know what happens with kinect, but on a controller during the QTE sequences you can see what's about to show up almost like a rhythm game scrolling across the bottom. RS is orange and LS is blue, so you can already hold them in advance since you can see what direction it'll go. It almost seems necessary to get perfects.

Man, I keep replaying the Prologue and I can't seem to find 2 Objects and like 5 observations. Ugh. Could replay these chapters forever though, lol, so in love with this game!

You may need to examine some objects and visit some locations multiple times, I believe that new descriptions and new objects (like Peggy's letters) may appear after certain events. Also, pay attention to observation anchors in cutscenes, some appear for just a few seconds. It's generally a good idea to interact with objects multiple times, until you can't interact anymore or responses start repeating.

The same is true with Kinect. They even have tiny arrows that show you the required swing direction.

during the first QTE of the game
with Amanda. The very last thing shows something pop up, and it seems to hurt me. Is there something I am supposed to press to avoid that? it seems too quick to even see what it is

during the first QTE of the game
with Amanda. The very last thing shows something pop up, and it seems to hurt me. Is there something I am supposed to press to avoid that? it seems too quick to even see what it is

You get hurt in some action scenes, I don't think it's avoidable. After the sequence it will show you the results and the synch score. Getting 100% in the first one shouldn't be hard.

You get hurt in some action scenes, I don't think it's avoidable. After the sequence it will show you the results and the synch score. Getting 100% in the first one shouldn't be hard.

oh ok. I could just barely get over 80% synch rate on the first one haha. I had to reload like 5 times for the achievement

Gameboy415

I spent the majority of my afternoon playing through the Prologue & Episode 1 - great stuff!
I can definitely see myself re-playing them to find the stuff I missed at some point.
I'm looking forward to playing through Episode 2 soon! :D

ughhh. I know it wont matter to most people, but the completely broken/glitchy achievements are pissing me the fuck off to the point where I dont even want to play until they are fixed

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
ughhh. I know it wont matter to most people, but the completely broken/glitchy achievements are pissing me the fuck off to the point where I dont even want to play until they are fixed

That was a little annoying. It was like the game would just stop tracking achievements for me at points until I restarted it. Had this happen to me more than once.

Alfredo

I tried Kinect controls again, and this time faired a little better. I found out that you don't need to point the cursor directly over something in order to activate it. You just have to pass over it a little bit to highlight it. Once it's highlighted, closing your fist will activate it, no matter where the cursor is on the screen, so it turns out you don't have to be as accurate as I thought you would with the Kinect controls.

I still think it plays much better with a controller, though.

Top Bottom