• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Bought the game and leaving it to download while I sleep. Can't wait, impressions here sound great and will write my own when i'm done with both episodes!

This thread is killing me. I want to play this so bad.
I paid ~$450 for this game.
Cost of Xbox One + overnight shipping + download.
Worth. Every Penny.
I'm almost to this point of want.

Typed this post through squinted eyes as to not read the spoiler.....

Squishy3

I paid ~$450 for this game.
Cost of Xbox One + overnight shipping + download.
Worth. Every Penny.
This game alone is making me swing towards a Xbox One again, coupled with MCC and Killer Instinct. Of course, I'll be buying Scalebound and Phantom Dust when they come out too. I'm sure that it'll become my new media box as well. (Netflix, HBO GO, Blu-Rays, etc.)

BOTEC

That's some dedication. I'm waiting for supergreatfriend to bust out a playthrough video, hopefully.

This thread is killing me. I want to play this so bad.

I'm almost to this point of want.

Typed this post through squinted eyes as to not read the spoiler.....

If you liked Deadly Premonition in the slightest (or liked watching the DP Endurance Run), it's worth the investment. We finally know what a "SWERY game" is: Kooky characters, intriguing story, bizarre situations, surprisingly brilliant musical score. A fun time all around. And more to come in Season 2...

Montresor

I'm not far in this game at all yet, but I read that the achievements in this game are glitched if you try to use system resume.

Apparently if you regularly quit the game to the main menu after finishing your session, then you won't run into bugged achievements. Can anyone confirm?

I bought this on Saturday but I went ahead and splurged on other XB1 puzzle games that I've been waiting on so I've been playing those instead (Contrast and Stick It To The Man). Hopefully that achievement stuff gets sorted out.

There's definitely something going on with the achievements. The first time I played the game, none of them popped up, so I thought that they simply didn't want to disturb the gameplay in that manner; when I checked the achievements app, a bunch of them were unlocked. Now they pop up as usual.

GavinGT

Banned
There's definitely something going on with the achievements. The first time I played the game, none of them popped up, so I thought that they simply didn't want to disturb the gameplay in that manner; when I checked the achievements app, a bunch of them were unlocked. Now they pop up as usual.

Yea, I didn't see any pop up either.

Just bought and downloaded remotely, this will be the first time I ever use a Kinect and the first time I ever have connected it to my Xbox One. Only for Swery.

Storm360

So, finally got a chance to dive in, just finished Episode 1.

So far i'm loving it, Playing with Kinect controls, I had a problem with the
shouting during the fight
, any way around it? I played at about 4am so had to take the failure on it...

I also love how
The main characters name, David Young, is actually the original name for Francis York Morgan in Deadly Premonition during it's Rainy Woods days (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA)
Pretty cool reference for fans.

Miles, as a fellow TT fan I bought this game off nothing more than your reactions in this thread....into episode 1 I am not disappointed. The motion controls take some time to get used to but other that this game is great! Good call, my friend.

Excellent, glad you're enjoying it.

This has set a new bar for me in terms of story driven interactive games. Not sure I'll be happy going back to the TT mode. I'm just really hoping this is successful enough that we keep getting seasons throughout the generation, that would be simply incredible and the memento mechanic allows for them to do as any episodes/seasons as they want.

Perhaps we need to start bombarding Phil's twitter account to show how much demand there is for a new season?

I want this on PS4 so bad. :(

Bruh....

J4WRnqE.gif

Linkified

Excellent, glad you're enjoying it.

This has set a new bar for me in terms of story driven interactive games. Not sure I'll be happy going back to the TT mode. I'm just really hoping this is successful enough that we keep getting seasons throughout the generation, that would be simply incredible and the memento mechanic allows for them to do as any episodes/seasons as they want.

Perhaps we need to start bombarding Phil's twitter account to show how much demand there is for a new season?

Or just ask if their are more downloadable episodes coming to S1?

Ricitor

Goddamn this game is incredible. GOTY contender for me and was worth buying an entire console just for this experience!

Been trying to get all the achievements and am sitting on 80% now. A shame a few are glitched but hell, just more reason to play through it again and again!

And while the Kinect is horrible during the exploration, I was surprised how much fun I had during the action segments! Worked surprisingly well during my play through.

I need more, NOW! Phil, baby, please! I'm desperate over here!

Alx

I just finished the prologue yesterday. It felt ok, but I'm not too impressed right now (it's my first Swery game and I basically went blind into buying it, since it was cheap and kinect-based).
I thought you could move by pointing two fingers in that direction, has that been changed or is it only for the episodes ? I thought that feature was a great idea when I heard about it in the previews, and grabbing footstep icons is the only think I dislike for now.
Oh and I think the graphics would feel less weird with a flatter shading, like in Borderlands. But maybe it is intentional.

I've gotten used to Kinect in exploration, most of the time I can move through the environment with ease and smoothly join the actions. It still goes haywire randomly, though.

And it's totally inappropriate for that clover mini-game, has anyone here gotten all the related achievements? I'm still missing the last two (up to 758 now that I've changed the pointer speed to fast; still not enough), and it angers the hell out of me whenever I play it. I also gave it a try with the controller, but I found it even harder to play when things get hectic.

I really hope they nerf the difficulty in a patch.

I thought you could move by pointing two fingers in that direction, has that been changed or is it only for the episodes ? I thought that feature was a great idea when I heard about it in the previews, and grabbing footstep icons is the only think I dislike for now.

Never heard about that, I'll try it out later. The pointer icon does change to a hand pointing with two fingers occasionally, but I couldn't figure out what that meant.

Ricitor

I've gotten used to Kinect in exploration, most of the time I can move through the environment with ease and smoothly join the actions. It still goes haywire randomly, though.

And it's totally inappropriate for that clover mini-game, has anyone here gotten all the related achievements? I'm still missing the last two (up to 758 now that I've changed the pointer speed to fast; still not enough), and it angers the hell out of me whenever I play it. I also gave it a try with the controller, but I found it even harder to play when things get hectic.

I really hope they nerf the difficulty in a patch.

I got them. It's a god damn nightmare because it is heavily luck based. I have not tried it with Kinect so I cant say how it works but controller was fine for me.

So basically, 1-300 you will be fine. Nothing to hectic. From the bonus, you should be on 350 - 400. Now shit gets tough.

You have to use the special clovers to their fullest. Snow flake will be the main lifesaver, keep using it and with Pink Vortex, keep practicing as you can get all clovers in one sweep. If you see both the Pink Vortex and the Snow flake, Go for the Vortex first and then freeze them. You get a nice bonus from that. For the most part though, just keep swiping the top until you see one get by.

When you get to 800 the bonus from that should get you to about 1000-1100 (but keep swiping along the top) but then comes the worst part and where you have to pray you get lucky. The small clovers will now drop incredibly quickly and you WILL miss them, only hope is if the snowflake spawn (in my one I had 3 pop up at the same time) as Vortex will probably make you miss one of the small clovers .

Best advice I can give but as I said, it's very luck based. Just keep at it.

Thanks, I'll try it again with the controller. I figured out it's very much luck-based, sometimes the special clovers just won't appear when you need them.

Do you know what those multi-colored clovers do? Because they don't seem to do anything. Maybe they're just worth more points?

I know the game has always been said to only be coming to xb1, but I saw this on swery'a Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/Swery65/status/513832296047054848

I don't lol the sound of the phrasing of that, it's as if it's suffering from bad sales?

It's a Microsoft game, a PC version is always possible, but in this case I'd say it's unlikely. It's primarily a Kinect title, and I at least hope that they would prioritize funding more episodes/seasons over a port.

i wholeheartedly agree with one critical point of the polygon review:

"D4 makes the incredibly odd decision to make every action (including investigating objects) use up Young's stamina meter. If the meter empties (which it will pretty quickly if you investigate everything) you either lose progress or give up a sizable chunk of in-game currency.

Rather than let you explore this thoroughly weird world at your own pace, D4 pushes you to find the critical path through the game and not linger too long on anything. That may work for other games, but I want to lose myself in Swery65's worlds, not grind through them in a rush to the end."

I think this really was a stupid decision. I want to explore everything but i cant because literally every step decreases stamina. Lifting up a small cloth loses stamina. It really shouldnt work this way. it's like putting the damn time limit in Dead Rising 2. One of those decision that will ensure that this game will not be accepted by the wider masses.

The game is very interesting and has such a good style, but this mechanic alone means i really cant recommend it to any friend as it really makes it a chore to play.

Hammer24

Banned
I want to explore everything but i cant because literally every step decreases stamina.

You are aware, that you can use the menu button anytime, get home to a free meal and sink that fill up your stamina and vision?
I guess that's why he implemented it, so you don´t just follow the main story arch, but go back home in-between and do the side missions.

You are aware, that you can use the menu button anytime, get home to a free meal and sink that fill up your stamina and vision?
I guess that's why he implemented it, so you don´t just follow the main story arch, but go back home in-between and do the side missions.

yes after i finished Ep 1 someone here told me this, but to me it just really disrupts the game completely. i want to stay in there and explore and every few steps im either buying something from the cat or going back to the house to do this. It ruins the immersion completely.

I do like the game but it is such a questionable design element to me. In the first ep the whole reason i DIDNT want to do more side missions is because i had to keep refilling and refueling all the time.

I dont like it at all, same as time limits within games.

Ricitor

Okay, at 90% of the achievements now. 3 just popped while I was replaying the prologue so at some point they will register.

Last few are grindy as fuck so I'll be clearing those up tonight but the only one I'm having issue with is finding the letters. Does anybody know where Letter 5 is? I cant find it and I've gone up and down the apartment in vision mode
(and I sure I have the one from Roland Extra Case already)

yes after i finished Ep 1 someone here told me this, but to me it just really disrupts the game completely. i want to stay in there and explore and every few steps im either buying something from the cat or going back to the house to do this. It ruins the immersion completely.

Even if you don't want to go back to the apartment to refill (and you should, because there are things in the game that you can't find and experience otherwise), the stamina bar really doesn't decrease that quickly. You can always go to Amanda (the real cat on the plane) and buy food. It will cost you some money, but since you're exploring everything in the first place, you should have more than plenty. On subsequent replays you can buy and equip clothing items that increase the size of your stamina bar.

Even if you don't want to go back to the apartment to refill (and you should, because there are things in the game that you can't find and experience otherwise), the stamina bar really doesn't decrease that quickly. You can always go to Amanda (the real cat on the plane) and buy food. It will cost you some money, but since you're exploring everything in the first place, you should have more than plenty. On subsequent replays you can buy and equip clothing items that increase the size of your stamina bar.

That i didnt know. Is this just the clothing in your closet at home? do you buy it with in game creds or is this DLC with real money?

The cat thing i knew about - i was constantly going back to her.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So I finished this yesterday, me gusta.

Kinect didn't work for me at all. I tried, I really did, different positions, lighting etc. But no matter what, when I slowly move the cursor across the screen, it goes crazy at some points. And sometimes it just flat out doesn't detect my hand. Which made me sad because I find playing it with the Kinect way better than with the controller. :(

As for the game itself, I never played DP but I liked the "weirdness" of this one, I liked the characters, and it wasn't hard but I thought the stamina mechanic was really unnecessary, I could simply refill it by buying food from the closest cat, or by going back to the apartment, but it gets annoying after a while. I wanna explore freely in such games.

All in all it didn't blow my mind but I'm interested and I wanna see more. (Please buy it so we could get moar, m'kay?)

Took some funny screenshots too
Code:
[IMG]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5566/15274915216_7438353959_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3863/15119466738_59981b44d2_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5566/15127862780_3cc2f32afd_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3916/15127825119_d290af0090_o.png[/IMG]

That i didnt know. Is this just the clothing in your closet at home? do you buy it with in game creds or is this DLC with real money?

The cat thing i knew about - i was constantly going back to her.

You can buy clothing items with in-game money/points from Amanda in the apartment. Some of them, usually the more expensive ones, can increase or decrease your stamina, vision and life bars (you can see what stats are affected before you buy). Then you need to go to the bedroom and equip them from the closet.

If you fill out Amanda's presents bar, you will get a discount on the next purchase. That's really handy for buying the most expensive items.

Oh, and you can also get rare items (I believe you can't buy them or find them elsewhere) in packages found by the front door when you dive out of a flashback. Another reason to go back to the apartment from time to time.

Top Bottom