• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Kotaku UK wasn't very fond of it....

Fuck it I'm buying it anyway tonight.

Here's the problem, though: Deadly Premonition's weirdness was otherwordly, and sometimes felt borderline accidental. D4's weirdness is extremely ostentatious. It shoves is strangeness right in your face, from the off, and it's difficult to create accidental poetry when you're being bizarre on purpose. Knowing that he has a reputation for being super-weird, it's like director SWERY is suddenly trying too hard.

So this confirms my fears. I called it since the E3 demo was made public.

rrc1594

So this confirms my fears. I called it since the E3 demo was made public.

I didn't feel like that at all, The pace of the game feels perfect, never felt like he was trying to hard. Writing a dialogue really express the characters, this is who they are. Under that weirdness is complex deep characters. I mean I listen to 3 min chat about clam chowder like WTF.

def sim

I'm really looking forward to playing this later today. It'll take my mind off purchasing one of the two new GPUs, at least for a bit.

watership

The thing is, I didn't really care for DP. I didn't dislike it, I just found the gameplay to be I satisfying. This looks different and fresh. And it makes good use of Kinect, which is fantastic. I wish more unique games were made, so I'm supporting the process and buying it. It's the perfect filler for me between now and Forza Horizon 2 and the OCT onslaught.

DP was okay for me to play, but I loved watching quicklooks on it for Giant Bomb. I'll buy it, but i might wait until there are more episodes out to dive in.

Shauni

So, what's the content like? 2 episodes and a Prolouge doesn't seem like much for $15 unless they have a decent length. Also noticed this game has 78 achievements, apparently.

question for first QTE in the game.
when Amanda attacks you, I do all of the movements perfectly, but there is one that flashes so fast that I have no idea what to do. Its when u get knocked on the floor, my synchro goes way down.
Just wondering what I am supposed to do because there is an achievement for it

Yikes it's that bad?
It picks up my dog when he walks in the room for whatever reason (he's white and a dog, I'm darker and a human), which throws off whatever I was doing at the moment.
Not fond of the leaning either - I practically have to lean at a 90 degree angle for it to register.

DP was okay for me to play, but I loved watching quicklooks on it for Giant Bomb. I'll buy it, but i might wait until there are more episodes out to dive in.

If you don't support it now, there might not be any more episodes. They'll continue with the series if people show enough interest, it appears to be envisioned kind of like a video game soap opera that might go on indefinitely.

It picks up my dog when he walks in the room for whatever reason (he's white and a dog, I'm darker and a human), which throws off whatever I was doing at the moment.
Not fond of the leaning either - I practically have to lean at a 90 degree angle for it to register.

Leash your dog when you play? That's kind of a hard thing to account for I imagine.

statham

swipe to turn is the issue I'm having with kinect, The marker to swipe doesn't always pop up. Switched to controller scheme type 2 as I can't deal with that.

What the hell is clam chowder anyway?
Ew, there's clam in it. Besides that it sounds alright though.
Including tomatoes is shunned; a 1939 bill making tomatoes in clam chowder illegal was introduced in the Maine legislature.[3] It is occasionally referred to as Boston Clam Chowder in the Midwest.
Manhattan clam chowder has clear broth, plus tomato for flavor and color. Scornful New Englanders called this modified version "Manhattan-style" clam chowder because, in their view, calling someone a New Yorker was (and still is) an insult.
Actually learning story stuff by researching clam chowder.

What the hell is clam chowder anyway?
Ew, there's clam in it. Besides that it sounds alright though.

Actually learning story stuff by researching clam chowder.

New England clam chowder is delicious. Especially with Rhode Island quahogs. Man, is it good.

Just bought and downloaded the game from work via Smartglass. Can't wait to find out what Swery is all about tonight.

It took me a little over 5 hours to complete. This includes diving out of the episodes a couple of times. I was much more involved than in any Telltale game. Loved the ending and I can't wait for more. Highly recommended. I will go back and replay to try and complete some of the side missions.

10 minutes in and I want to throw my Kinect out of the window. Jesus Christ what a piece of shit.
Switching to controller.

I've always said I'd never be that guy, but I really haven't encountered any issues Kinect so far. That said, I have only played the prologue, so it's entirely possible it'll start to play up when I get to the more action packed sequences.

Sucks that you're having issues though. Using Kinect has really changed how I view games like this, I'm not sure I'll be all that happy going to back TWD or TWAU and using a controller...

now seriously: DAT SOUNDTRACK

The three tracks available in the prologue were fantastic. Really hope we get an official OST release.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just finished the prologue, took me close to one hour.

Anyway, this is bloody incredible. Swery has managed to outdo Telltale in terms of how to tell a story through interactive QTE. The voice acting is perfect, the humour is superb (clam chowder), characters are suitably crazy and the world is very well realised.

I really hope this isn't all we get. We need more episodes. Please Phil, don't sit on your hands on with, get Swery working on season 2, 3, 4 and 5. This has the potential to be one of the greatest games of the generation. The memento mechanic is just a superb touch, leaves the potential for future episodes and seasons wide open.

Oh and this game alone fully redeems Kinect. Goodness, I'm legit blown away, It's perfect. There's literally no other way to play it.

imma be mad if this game is not gotg ;)

Anyone have any tips for the fashion quest?
I found a magazine that said he designed Retro and Military outfits but the 70s tie still didn't work

imma be mad if this game is not gotg ;)

It would need to get a lot more seasons for that to happen.. I've got everything crossed it sells well enough to get more seasons.

I've already done as much as I can and told pretty much everyone I know who owns an X1 or is getting one for MCC to buy it straight away.

statham

Finished the prologue and loved it! I played with the controller, took a little getting used too, but it played fine. Tho, the first QTE, I did rather poorly.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Sorry if it's been asked before, but do you have to stand up in order to play this game with the Kinect?

Fucking Xbox didn't finish downloading this while it was in standby all day. Will the day ever come when stuff like that is reliable.

Now I have to wait till tomorrow. :(

Alfredo

I was afraid that Deadly Premonition was a fluke, too, but while playing through the Prologue and Episode 1 of D4, I didn't have any of those worries.

I don't think this game is weird for the sake of weird. The only thing that might be a little too over-the-top are the dinner scenes, as they are an extreme magnitude sillier than the lunch scenes in Deadly Premontion, but maybe that's because they actually had their animators do some real work this time, lol. There is, however, some Deadly Premonition-esque "jank" in this game, namely some of the facial expressions during some 1-on-1 conversations and the texture work on some of the food products in David's pantry.

I'll hopefully start and finish Episode 2 today, then replay the game with Kinect so I can provide some fuller impressions. Game plays fine with a controller for now.

Top Bottom