• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Alfredo

I hope Swery has a backup plan to finish the story in case no other episodes get greenlit... :(

...this would make a really good iPad game... :)

p3tran

Banned
I've always said I'd never be that guy, but I really haven't encountered any issues Kinect so far. That said, I have only played the prologue, so it's entirely possible it'll start to play up when I get to the more action packed sequences.

Sucks that you're having issues though. Using Kinect has really changed how I view games like this, I'm not sure I'll be all that happy going to back TWD or TWAU and using a controller...
strange... I remember an interview where sweary said exactly that, and back then I thought he was trolling..
yet now you say the same.

here, http://gamingbolt.com/d4-interview-...ntial-of-xbox-ones-cloud-exclusivity-and-more

Ravi Sinha: What feature about the Xbox One – besides Kinect, of course – has you most excited for the console’s potential?
SWERY: This would be an “evolution in style” with regards to how the game is played. It would be awesome if this new device could help to start a new generation in the way that tablet PCs, cellphones, portable audio players, wireless controllers, and the PC mouse and keyboard managed to change our lifestyles over the past few years.

he also says other things in that interview, about size of game (he says 90-120 mins per episode, plus metas and sidequests and collectathons)
also he is a believer of the cloud :D and also thinks that it will change the content of (his) games.

and I read somewhere else that he wanted to surprise everybody with a unanounced release of a japanese game at TGS and pull a steve jobs..
what a dude :D

Sorry if it's been asked before, but do you have to stand up in order to play this game with the Kinect?
kinect instructions from D4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liYX_-VustI
it even warns about revolutionary's dog :D

Alfredo

How is everyone managing their stamina in the game? Are you being careful with what you observe so you don't run out, risking on missing out on stuff, or are you just observing everything and not worrying about your stamina until it's really low and then spending all your credits for food at the Amanda Shop?

I just do everything until my stamina is super low, then I exit the dive and usually Kaysen is willing to cook for me by then, so I can get my stamina back up to its max for free. I wonder how limited this strategy is, though, 'cause it seems pretty effective so far. I noticed that time advances a lot in your apartment when you exit dives, but I'm not sure how that factors into anything.

So I've finished downloading this and when I start a new game it keeps telling me installation is not complete and I can't begin the game. How long do I have to leave it installing for? Haven't encountered this issue with other xb1 games

GavinGT

Banned
Anyone else having problems getting Kinect to register open/closed hand states? It doesn't work about a quarter of the time for me.

edit: nevermind, I was just way too far away from the Kinect. About 6 feet seems to be the sweet spot.

Daft Bird

Does anyone else's arms get tired? I can only play about thirty minutes before my arms start getting sore from keeping them up.

Bsigg12

I really like using the Kinect here. The game is absurd and a lot of fun. I really hope word of mouth spreads on this so we get more.

Zomba13

Had no interest in this at all since announcement (Ewwww Kinect game) but watching that trailer and it looks cool, like, not the controls (though it says it works with a controller so that's fine) but like, the mystery and the characters and that trailer music was great. Good reviews too. Will pick this up when I get my Xbone later this year.

arhra

So I've finished downloading this and when I start a new game it keeps telling me installation is not complete and I can't begin the game. How long do I have to leave it installing for? Haven't encountered this issue with other xb1 games

I've read someone else who had that problem say that quitting and relaunching fixed it.

I spent the whole evening playing it, slowly, trying to explore as much as possible. I still have the second episode to go, and then I'll replay everything to find the remaining collectibles, solve optional cases and so on. I'm having a great time, it's just a fun take on the modern post-adventure format without any of the pathos of David Cage's games, and with a lot of classic Japanese weirdness. I don't feel like it's overdone or trying too hard, I have no idea where that came from. The mannequin guy is probably my favorite character so far, it's like he walked straight out of God Hand, but most of them are pretty amusing.

Kinect is a mixed bag. The more physical sequences work great, the aeroplane fight was just so much fun to pull off. Absolutely exhilarating stuff, I can't imaging it being nearly as engaging with the controller, although I'll give it a try on my next replay. On the other hand, it really sucks for navigation and exploration; it's too unreliable and jittery. I don't know, maybe I should try recalibrating, but it's unnecessarily frustrating at times. I feel like a hybrid approach might have worked really well here.

As soon as the new episodes release, I'll be there, no questions asked. Thankfully, when I'm finally done with D4, I'll still have both versions of Deadly Premonition waiting in my backlog.

Alec

This game is amazing. I have had an Xbone since launch but have literally not bought a single game. This is my first real Xbone purchase and I'm loving every second of it.

Tried both Kinect and Controller but I'm sticking with Controller.

I've re-done the Prologue stunt scene with Amanda like 5 times, all above 75%...the achievement isn't unlocking though. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maaaan, the streaming is still busted for me. Really annoying.

This game is great though. Definitely works a lot better to make a game similar to a point and click vs. that terrible shooting in deadly premonition.

arhra

Kinect is a mixed bag. The more physical sequences work great, the aeroplane fight was just so much fun to pull off. Absolutely exhilarating stuff, I can't imaging it being nearly as engaging with the controller, although I'll give it a try on my next replay. On the other hand, it really sucks for navigation and exploration; it's too unreliable and jittery. I don't know, maybe I should try recalibrating, but it's unnecessarily frustrating at times. I feel like a hybrid approach might have worked really well here.

Yeah, that's definitely the feeling I'm getting after just doing the prologue. Kinect was amazing for the bit when Amanda makes her entrance, but kinda awkward for general movement/examining stuff (and the little pseudo-QTE things for opening doors don't work well at all, since it's "move your hand along the line" rather than just "move your hand up/down/left/right", and I always seem to start with my hand on the wrong side of it).

This game is amazing. I have had an Xbone since launch but have literally not bought a single game. This is my first real Xbone purchase and I'm loving every second of it.

Buy Max:The Curse of Brotherhood if you don't already have it on PC or Xbox 360 or if you didn't get it for free. It's worth every penny.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it just going "Broadcast failed" immediately? Because that is what's happening to me and I have no way of diagnosing or fixing it.

Yup. I even tried to boot it in another game and go to D4 but it goes right to that screen each time.

I guess the sudden release is screwing with it and the system doesn't think it's released or something.

and the little pseudo-QTE things for opening doors don't work well at all, since it's "move your hand along the line" rather than just "move your hand up/down/left/right", and I always seem to start with my hand on the wrong side of it

I haven't had any problems with that, you don't really have to precisely follow the line, just moving your hand in the right general direction should do the trick. I also quite like the leaning (although it took me some time to realize that you can also look down if you lean forward), but I'm experiencing quite a few problems with swiping. I'll try to adjust the speed settings tomorrow, and recalibrate if that doesn't help.

I think I want this but I have the sense this will be on Games with Gold in the next few months.

Fuck that, buy it. Just finished playing the prologue and first episode with a friend and it's fantastic. Just utterly mental and so much goddamn fun, and Kinect makes it so much better. Like, its genuinely enjoyable with Kinect and I cannot see how it would be improved by using a joypad.

EVERYBODY BUY THIS SO SWERY MAKES MORE EPISODES.

Prologue took 35 minutes, first episode was an hour and a half and in neither case did we come remotely close to finding everything there was to discover.

Recommend it to everyone, 11 out of 5.

Yup. I even tried to boot it in another game and go to D4 but it goes right to that screen each time.

I guess the sudden release is screwing with it and the system doesn't think it's released or something.
I hope that's simply the case. Had to use my shitty Roxio HD and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

benzy

I'm buying this despite probably not buying a Xbone for awhile. SWERY needs my money as soon as possible.

I just bought it too. I'm waiting for a slim Xbone so it'll be a while before I get to play it though.

knowshon-moreno-crying-huge-tears.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
Still in episode 1, just poking around and taking my time with everything.

Going to end up on my GOTY list for sure.

Give Swery all the money he needs Microsoft!

Is the $15 just the prologue and eps. 1 and 2?
Or just the prologue?

Gonna buy it tonight after work.

Also just watched some gameplay demo, what is the MC's accent?? Driving me nuts...

Edit:
I'm buying this despite probably not buying a Xbone for awhile. SWERY needs my money as soon as possible.
Yup!

Played through the prologue and episode 1. It's ridiculous in a great way. That clam chowder scene was great.

I'm using Kinect for my controls. I echo REMEMBER CITADEL's thoughts on it. Some parts with it are fantastic, but some of the navigation is clunky. Grabbing didn't always work, and swiping was hit or miss.

Persona7

Banned
Played through the prologue and episode 1. It's ridiculous in a great way. That clam chowder scene was great.

I'm using Kinect for my controls. I echo REMEMBER CITADEL's thoughts on it. Some parts with it are fantastic, but some of the navigation is clunky. Grabbing didn't always work, and swiping was hit or miss.

I feel the same. I would trigger stuff by accident or miss a swipe every so often.

Top Bottom