• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Bsigg12

I just bought it too. I'm waiting for a slim Xbone so it'll be a while before I get to play it though.

knowshon-moreno-crying-huge-tears.jpg

#WeNeedMoreD4
#ThankYouNoneXboneOwners

for anyone that has gotten far, or maybe even beaten it. Is there a way to jump right back to certain sequences? For example, I cannot for the life of me get over 75% synch in the first QTE. Would I be able to jump right back to this scene later, or will I have to play though the whole thing again. I have just been quitting to the main menu and doing it from the last checkpoint, which is a bit back and I have to do everything over up until the event happens

Cheddahz

Banned
I only got to play the prologue tonight, but wow, it's been amazing so far (and yes, I did search every inch of the house). I'll probably play the next episode tomorrow, but yeah...I think this game can be something special

Yuterald

Don't care how knee-jerky, honeymoon-phase this sounds...this is my GOTY so far. The OST, the characters, everything is beyond perfect.

We know anything about how many seasons are planned? I want all and everything that has to do with this game.

Alfredo

OMG, in Chapter 2, you can buy
A York clothing set for David, Kaysen outfit for Kaysen, Willie costume for Amanda, and an Emily sheriff outfit for Olivia

...I immediately spent all the credits I had at that point on all that stuff.

Tain

This is really cool so far. The Kinect controls sadly don't recognize grabs often enough for me, though, so I'm using a controller right now unless I sense an action sequence coming up.

The stealth launch / pushing out the door by MS.. why couldn't they have tried a bit more?
:-/

But yeah, buying this well in advance of my One purchase later this year. Gotta hope they're able to do more episodes.

Alfredo

Okay, I bought a TV mount for my Kinect just to try D4 with the Kinect. It works okay, but, honestly, selecting things with hand just seems to slow and inaccurate. Like, you get credits when you push things in the game, and with a controller, I can just mash the right trigger and get a bunch of credits,. With Kinect, it seems you have to slowly push and reset every time.

The action or "stunt" sequences are MUCH easier with Kinect. I wish I could just do normal point and click stuff with a controller and just use the Kinect for action sequences. Switching between them on the fly is weird, because sometimes it'll sign me out of my profile for some reason, causing me to back out to the title menu.

Also, I guess the "Continue" option on the main screen always loads the save that is furthest in the game. Like, I wanted to retry the Amanda action sequence in the Prologue, so I selected Prologue from the Replay Episode menu option, went through the tutorial, then saved right before the Amanda sequence. But when I went back to the title screen and chose "Continue," it loaded my save in Episode 2 instead of the most recent save at the Prologue. Kind of annoying. I hope they add a better chapter select or something later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I took my time and went through all of the Story on-Plane in Episode 1... and then I find out I'm SUPPOSE to dive out, and pursue sidequest in-home during that mission too? Wow, somehow, I didn't expect that at all.

I'm surprised at how meaty these Episodes feel. This game seems like so much more of a GAME than Telltale's efforts. The costume unlocks, the weird little mini-games and side stories, the utter fun they have with the ridiculousness of goofy animations that pop up any time, and all the expanded info obtained by hovering over objects... I actually like playing around in the world, rather than feeling like all I have to do is get through the story in order to see the next part.

I honestly don't feel like the characters are trying too hard, either (From it's demo, I was actually much more offput by Beyond: Two Soul's characters, really..). Sure, we have some STRONG Ridiculousness
(AVAAAAANNNNNNNTTTT GGGAAARRRR~~DDDEEE!)
but they also feel like they have some grounded, reasonable personalities behind all of that silliness, and David has a pretty relatable view of it all; he knows what's odd, and he knows what to go along with.

There's actual variance to how you can play this game; Blitzing through to find the story path (most efficient for Stamina), following one characters path just to find out everything they have to say (while not overspending on stamina), or just crazy, do-everything mega-chunks (which will have you buying restores from the Shop all the time). It really helps add a nice non-linear value to something that shouldn't even possibly be able to have such a thing (going by other examples), making this feel like a much more substantial purchase than the usual Telltale chapters, going off what I experiences with TWD. The stamina / vision / health bars doesn't feel like a hassle to me at all, but more like a way to nudge different takes at playing the content.

This really feels like it bridges Genres quite well. I feel more like I'm having the fun I had with Sakura Wars V's more active novel elements, than the long, drawn-out slog that was experienced with, say, Blazblue's talky-but-utterly-boring-to-play graphic novel mode. It's QTE's feel much more like Shenmue's, which felt like they BELONG in the game, rather than being a cheap way to animate motions that should have been done through actual gameplay, in a more moment-to-moment combat game.

The stealth launch / pushing out the door by MS.. why couldn't they have tried a bit more?
:-/

But yeah, buying this well in advance of my One purchase later this year. Gotta hope they're able to do more episodes.

I think Microsoft considers the On-Dashboard info and promotions to be the major marketing for the game, and all their Digital Offerings. As much as people are complaining about a lack of marketing... it'll be advertised all throughout the Community Meld for any games published by Microsoft, and SWERY seems to have a nice setup for daily updates and such through his blog/website from the game, which is linked right from within the meld.

On top of that, the Weekly Free Costumes will keep the game on the marketplace, front and center, for a while. It'll constantly be directly marketed to people who have XB1s, and this kind of long-tail strategy will hopefully prevent the game from falling out of the public eye, which I feel was the real detractor of late XBLA offerings, more so than the lack of pre-launch marketing.

My only criticism so far is the game doesn't encourage exploration. The mechanic where you lose stamina for walking around and also using your vision means you have to keep buying stuff or hunt it down. I really didn't like that in the plane episode.

Alfredo

My only criticism so far is the game doesn't encourage exploration. The mechanic where you lose stamina for walking around and also using your vision means you have to keep buying stuff or hunt it down. I really didn't like that in the plane episode.

Have you been exiting the dive to get a free meal from Kaysen? That's what I did for most of Episode 1. I exhausted most of my stamina on the plane, then once it was as low as like 5, I went back to the apartment and had Kaysen cook for me, filling my stamina back up to max for free. I was able to do this twice to get two different meals from Kaysen. I think he might even give you more, but it'll be the same meals.

rrc1594

Have you been exiting the dive to get a free meal from Kaysen? That's what I did for most of Episode 1. I exhausted most of my stamina on the plane, then once it was as low as like 5, I went back to the apartment and had Kaysen cook for me, filling my stamina back up to max for free. I was able to do this twice to get two different meals from Kaysen. I think he might even give you more, but it'll be the same meals.

Wait you could go back WTF! I didn't know that. Definitely need replay game again.

Avant Garde!

I think it's a good thing as it encourages a more thoughtful approach and prevents you from just breezing through the game. But it's relatively easy to get money, so I never felt really stressed out. Even when I was low on stamina, I had that refill charm with me, just in case.

I also never realized that you can dive out, I'll have to try that. And one more thing, in the plane fight I think I did everything perfectly, yet I still lost some life. Did I miss something after all, or is getting hurt unavoidable?

I have an XBone with a Kinect.
I never use the Kinect. This game was to be my test case.

After 15 minutes of moving the fucking thing around the room because I was either too far away or it couldnt see my torso I finally was able to hold up my hand and have it register in the game menu. By register I mean it showed my hand and it was jumping all over the screen. I continued on to see what the gameplay was to be. I got past the opening credits, into the bathroom part and switched to the controller.

Why would anyone want to play a game that way? I was sitting up straight like a kid at his school desk and trying to punch an owl. In between that I am leaning left and the girl is looking right. I'm trying to hover a jittery hand cursor over this tiny badge just long enough to make a fist while trying to keep the dog out of view of the Kinect because everytime he moved the Xbox would ask me who is playing the game.

The controls are no bargain but at least I can pause the game without having to do the wave. So dumb.

Started playing this morning. I knew nothing going in and still haven't read impressions from anyone else. True blackout. Game got way better once I enabled the controller during the opening lake bit. The bostonians extra case was great. The oyster crackers lol so good. Yeah I think I will like this as much as I did DP.

GavinGT

Banned
Just finished it, and I loved it. The first episode in particular was just great.

- awesome music
- Kinect controls worked really well, but took some getting used to
- characters are fun and ridiculous
- "combat" sequences are a blast (although I doubt that's the case if you're using a controller)

It feels like a Japanese interpretation of the Telltale formula, except with gameplay that's actually engaging. I'll definitely be picking up future episodes.

Anyone else having issues playing with the controller and the game picking up some movement or command which it interprets as you trying to switch to Kinect controls? I have no idea what I'm doing but it keeps popping up in the corner of the screen every few seconds.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone else having issues playing with the controller and the game picking up some movement or command which it interprets as you trying to switch to Kinect controls? I have no idea what I'm doing but it keeps popping up in the corner of the screen every few seconds.

The signal for switching is to either put the sontrol down, or raise your hand over your head.

Scratching your head or putting the controller down can trigger these to prompt.

I think you can turn these off in tions if they annoy you too much, but I'm glad it has a timer.

Yuterald

Finished up to Episode 1 last night. Game is so fucking awesome. This is exactly the kind of weird/underdog game I've been waiting for all year. Playing this makes me want to bust out Deadly Premonition again too (still haven't even played the Director's Cut). Swery's stuff is hot shit right now.

Montresor

Telltale broke me when it comes to waiting for episodic content. As a result, doesn't matter how good D4 is, I'm waiting until the episodes are all out. Rather than get fucked around like Telltale did to its customers for Walking Dead Se2 and Wolf Among Us.

The signal for switching is to either put the sontrol down, or raise your hand over your head.

Scratching your head or putting the controller down can trigger these to prompt.

I think you can turn these off in tions if they annoy you too much, but I'm glad it has a timer.

Thanks, I'll have to turn that off then. No idea what was happening though as I was just sitting down holding the controller.

Storm360

Telltale broke me when it comes to waiting for episodic content. As a result, doesn't matter how good D4 is, I'm waiting until the episodes are all out. Rather than get fucked around like Telltale did to its customers for Walking Dead Se2 and Wolf Among Us.

If you don't buy it now, there won't be any future episodes, the success of this release depends on it

Yuterald

Is there only 1 episode?.

There's a prologue and 2 full length episodes. It's considered Season One.

Alright, is this game worth my hard earned 15$? I would play it with the kinect.

Like PC-style adventure/visual novel games? Fan of quirky, cool Japanese games? Dig Swery's style? For $15, there's quite a bit on content and reasons to replay the game. Game's chock full of sidequests and collectables. The presentation is phenomenal and it's classy/stylish as shit. This is the most passionate $15 experience I've ever taken part of.

This is an entire season. There's no waiting for more episodes like with TWD/TWAU. This is it.

If there's more, it will be an entirely new season and the only way to get more seasons is to support the game now.

Is there only 1 episode?.

Prologue and two episodes.

pesda

Banned
There's a prologue and 2 full length episodes. It's considered Season One.

Like PC-style adventure/visual novel games? Fan of quirky, cool Japanese games? Dig Swery's style? For $15, there's quite a bit on content and reasons to replay the game. Game's chock full of sidequests and collectables. The presentation is phenomenal and it's classy/stylish as shit. This is the most passionate $15 experience I've ever taken part of.

You had me at chock full. Buying now. My kinect better work. I won't play it with a controller. Dude developed the game around it so I will respect his vision.

RetroStu

Banned
How long would you say it is to complete the prologue and both episodes?. I'm about to watch a playthrough of the game (i don't have an X1) and its about 3 hours long and the last video is titled 'end of episode 1', does that sound about right?

Top Bottom