• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Eidan

I've been listening to the album nonstop since the stream was first released. Though Touch is obviously the best song on the album, I've been struggling to come up with an adequate #2. After much thought, I've finally come up with the song.

And that song is Instant Crush.

Sobriquet

Vinyl copy finally came in the mail today. I've been avoiding the stream.

I love it.

I've only listened to it once, but my favorites so far are Giorgio By Moroder, Motherboard, Doin' it Right, and Contact.

FWIW, I've been a fan since Homework dropped.

nRZs50b.jpg

IceCold

Do you guys know how to get metadata from a CD? I'm trying to rip the disc, but everything is listed as track [track number] without the features or album/artist names.

Instant Crush and Get Lucky are the good catchy songs, but Motherboard makes the second half a special record.

Do you guys know how to get metadata from a CD? I'm trying to rip the disc, but everything is listed as track [track number] without the features or album/artist names.

Unless the CD was made with CD-Text (doubt it), it won't have metadata. Get it from the internet in whatever program you ripped it.

IceCold

I stopped checking the threads on GAF to avoid hyping myself too much. I didn't read any reviews, nothing. Just went to the music store today, bought the album, and I'm halfway through it. Apart from Giorgio by Moroder everything is garbage; it fails both as a disco album and as a classic Daft Punk album.

I'm still listening to it as I type but I'm truly disappointed. Knowing GAF though, I imagine all these 100 pages have been pure praise. RAM is all over the place, what an underwhelming record.

Who said it was going to be a Disco album? Oh you did.

Also a lot of people here have been bashing the album. It isn't all praise.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Who said it was going to be a Disco album? Oh you did.

Also a lot of people here having been bashing the album. It isn't all praise.

Yeah, because the collaborations of Girogio and Nile totally didn't give me that vibe, and Get Lucky is straight up electro.

I'm not bashing it, just saying it didn't live up to what I expected, that's all.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

What are you using to rip the album?

iTunes will do that automatically, but something like EAC you'll need to input that all yourself.

Was about to ask the same thing.

Horizon, how can I get this track?

Legally? import a japanese edition of the record

illegally? not that hard.

Cipherr

I've been listening to the album nonstop since the stream was first released. Though Touch is obviously the best song on the album, I've been struggling to come up with an adequate #2. After much thought, I've finally come up with the song.

Instant Crush is crazy good. Best on the Album for me.

I like Contact, but a lot of the song towards the end has that high pitched tones that reaaaaally grate my nerves. I cant take it. If it weren't for that it would be a contender for best track on the album for me.

TeegsD

So reading up on the Wiki page to see who exactly helped out. Thinking about listening to some Chic and Animal Collective. Don't know what to expect.

IceCold

Yeah, because the collaborations of Girogio and Nile totally didn't give me that vibe, and Get Lucky is straight up electro.

I'm not bashing it, just saying it didn't live up to what I expected, that's all.

But then you have Panda Bear, Todd Edwards, DJ Falcon, Paul Williams, Julian Casablancas, Chilly Gonzales, and Pharrell. Two disco guys out of 9. On top of that the album title gives it away. It's random memories, not just disco memories.

You should give it one more listen without expectations. You might end up liking it better.

So reading up on the Wiki page to see who exactly helped out. Thinking about listening to some Chic and Animal Collective. Don't know what to expect.

Start with their first three albums. And this live show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBh8lgcVWXI

Also check this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53941794&postcount=637

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I like Contact, but a lot of the song towards the end has that high pitched tones that reaaaaally grate my nerves. I cant take it. If it weren't for that it would be a contender for best track on the album for me.

I'm with you on that. I usually skip when it gets to that part :(

Shambles

Sorry if this has been answered already but google isn't helping. Is DP planning on releasing a high-res digital version of RAM?

I'm with you on that. I usually skip when it gets to that part :(

Yup, end of Contact should have just been removed entirely. What a way to punish the listener for sitting down and giving the entire album a listen through.

Contact reminds me of Wonder 2 on mbv.

What are you using to rip the album?

iTunes will do that automatically, but something like EAC you'll need to input that all yourself.

If you input an email address somewhere in the program (can't remember where; its been ages) then EAC will do it for you too.

TeegsD

That's the best part guys. It feels like you are getting shot into outer space. There's so much energy and you can tell it's a nod to their Homework days. Then you hit Horizon and it's just the perfect epilogue.

I have to agree with this. The song builds up and peaks with you shooting into space and finally settling down with you reaching the outside of the atmosphere. Its soooooo good.

And thanks for this, definitely gonna give them a listen.

Ha! Was playing in my headphones as I read this. Yeah definitely one of my favorites on an album that is full of favorites.

That's the best part guys. It feels like you are getting shot into outer space. There's so much energy and you can tell it's a nod to their Homework days. Then you hit Horizon and it's just the perfect epilogue.

I have yet to hear Horizon, but I agree about the end of contact, love the song as a whole, including the end.

Edit: Also, IceCold your avatar is so cool.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If you input an email address somewhere in the program (can't remember where; its been ages) then EAC will do it for you too.

I didn't know that. I'll have to play around with EAC a bit more to do that.

I'm trying to use EAC to rip the disc right now, using this setup guide

http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html

Seems like it adds the tags but the flags you have to paste are different, have to replace them with the ones from here

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/support/faq/

I think thats only for flac though

Ah ok, I used this one http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/435208-Installing-configuring-and-ripping-with-Exact-Audio-Copy-%28EAC%29

Little less chatty and more pictures to use for comparisons in setup. And I'm not sure what you're using for playback, but if you use foobar, that program does a really great v0 coversion. I also use dbpoweramp for 320/ALAC/ogg vorbis conversions from the main FLAC rip.

RoKKeR

Had a full listen today with my best headphones completely undistracted. My conclusion?

This is by far Daft Punk's best album, and is the best album I've heard all year, even going into last year. It feels full, complete, a true work of art. It draws from countless genres and eras in a huge way, and does so with incredible style and musical awareness. There is not one song on this album that I will skip, and that is really saying something.

Huge props to Daft Punk for doing the absolutely most unexpected thing and doing it masterfully.

rdrr gnr

I'm at about 4 listens, so my thoughts are still somewhat tentative, but I have to say this album isn't doing much for me. I won't do a track-by-track but the highlights of this album for me are: Game of Love, Within, Instant Crush, and my favorite, Doin' It Right. I found the rest of the listing rather unremarkable. Paul Williams was always a better writer than performer -- his voice is rather weak. I hate the talking intro for Giorgio (or any track for that matter). Meh.

rdrr gnr

Animal Collective songs you should listen to (from their latest albums): Wide Eyed, Summertime Clothes, My Girls, New Town Burnout, Monkey Riches.

Edit: DP.

Jooney

Had a full listen today with my best headphones completely undistracted. My conclusion?

This is by far Daft Punk's best album, and is the best album I've heard all year, even going into last year. It feels full, complete, a true work of art. It draws from countless genres and eras in a huge way, and does so with incredible style and musical awareness. There is not one song on this album that I will skip, and that is really saying something.

Huge props to Daft Punk for doing the absolutely most unexpected thing and doing it masterfully.

Yep, my feels exactly.

There is no dance floor megahit here like 'One More Time'. But as a complete album this is my favourite work of there's.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I didn't expect that much from this album, but I'm starting to agree with this. It's already my favorite album of theirs. It tackles a lot of different styles and feels like an ode to pop music in general. Ok, tracks like 'Touch' are pretty cheesy, but it's cheese taken seriously and executed really well. Breaking it down:

Favorites:
Giorgio by Moroder. Normally after one listen I'd start to skip the interview at the start, but it feels like an essential part of the song and I'm not getting tired of it. Plus, the transition to the instrumental is fantastic. Best song on the album
Lose yourself to dance: feels like an MJ song. Probably Williams' goal for most of the songs he writes. Nothing wrong with that.
Get lucky: wasn't fan of this when I heard it the first time, but it's the track that has grown on me the most
Motherboard

Really good:
Touch
Within
Instant crush: those vocals get inside your head man, pretty catchy
Beyond: I even like the intro
Doin it right

Undecided:
Give life back to music and Game of love: after a few listens it seems these weren't the best to kick off the album with... Maybe I'll change my mind later

Meh:
Fragments of time: weakest song on the album

Top Bottom