• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

crispyben

The type of playing here, is that just referred to as funk guitar? Or is there a more specific name for it?

Edit: He busts out some more riffs in this video after getting his guitar back in tune. Same summit, but from last year.
I think only Nile Rodgers sounds like Nile Rodgers, he's playing very rythmically and melodically at the same time. In that second video, he's riffing on "Everybody Dance", I believe.

RooMHM

Love RAM all along. Within is the only low.
I used to not like "Lose Yourself to Dance" but now it's maybe favorite.
"Everybody dancing on the floor" bitches. Instant Crush is a hit.

pestul

I'm not sure I've ever listened to an album that continuously gets better with each listen like RAM. I now appreciate every goddamn song and never press skip. Giorgio by Moroder is an amazing workout track btw.

edit: jesus Giorgio is 73 and still killing it.

Shaneus

I think only Nile Rodgers sounds like Nile Rodgers, he's playing very rythmically and melodically at the same time. In that second video, he's riffing on "Everybody Dance", I believe.
Holy shit, I feel like an idiot. I didn't even realise (though it's so freaking obvious listening to it again) that it was Rodgers and Edwards on Sheila and B. Devotion's Spacer. Ugh, I want to bang my head against the desk.
Just found this... kind of what I was hoping to hear from the DP album, a 100% Rodgers track, nothing over the top:
Chic - Spacer (Instrumental Demo)

Courage

I've been listening to the album nonstop since the stream was first released. Though Touch is obviously the best song on the album, I've been struggling to come up with an adequate #2. After much thought, I've finally come up with the song.

And that song is Instant Crush.

Eidan, although I agree with you that listening to Touch for the first time was the best 8 minutes of my entire life, I have to disagree with you here.

Giorgio wins that for me.

Owensboro

I've been listening to this in my car now, and I must confess; I find myself skipping Within, Instant Crush, and Lose Yourself to Dance a lot. Within just sucks, the other two aren't bad but I'd rather carry on to the better songs. The rest of the album is ace.

Skipping Instant Crush and Lose Yourself to Dance is a mistake man!

I've also been listening to this in my car for my work commute because my car is the best sound system I own (unfortunately) and it's a loooooong drive. I've always thought you can't really judge an album until you listen to it multiple times, mostly because every time I've gotten a new album from a band I love I always hate it the first time I listen to it. Something in my brain just can't accept that this new thing is as good as the album I've heard 1000 times.

Initially (of course) I wasn't too impressed with it. Now that I've made it through the entire album 6-7 times (Never skip songs! You lose the flow!) I'm starting to have the reaction I was hoping to the album: 1) Song starts, 2) I think "Oh man, this may be my favorite song", 3) Rock out / get sucked into repeating and singing lyrics horribly, 4) hum the tune as it fades away, 5) repeat 1-4 for next song.

The only two songs I'm not too crazy about are Within and Fragments of Time, but when they are done playing I can't get the melody out of my head. Within's simplicity (and piano) make me like it despite how slow it is. I understand the need for the break after the craziness that is "Giorgio by Moroder", but I was really hoping that "click click click" at the end of it would lead directly into the next song (and Within is not that song). Fragments of Time sounds like a old 70s/80s TV show theme, which my brain translates into both a plus and a minus. I imagine Bea Arthur and the Golden Girls running into the Jeffersons for wacky shenanigans each time he says "I'll just keep playing back / These Fragments of Time / Everywhere I go! / Is a moment to shine!". Someone always drops something expensive right at "shine!" and looks at the other cast members very sheepishly by the way.

But seriously, Instant Crush is such an awesome song to turn all the way up and drive down the highway to with the sun shining, the windows down, and the sunglasses on. That sucks that you don't enjoy it :(

Sorcerer

I would love to see Steely Dan cover Fragments of Time.

Its as if Fagen and Becker wrote this for them. Daft Punk did an amazing job capturing their sound here.

I guess I would place it in Pretzel Logic era.

They should have had a corroboration with Steely Dan for this record. Would have been amazing.

Macmanus

Has anyone figured out how to stop listening to this album? I can't. Cover to cover. Love it all. Even Giorgio spending two minutes talking is something I listen to over and over.

andylsun

Has anyone figured out how to stop listening to this album? I can't. Cover to cover. Love it all. Even Giorgio spending two minutes talking is something I listen to over and over.

This album needs to be listened to completely in one sitting each time - not something to hop in and out of.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Having my first listen now. I'm about halfway through on track five and I have to say I'm really digging it. It's like Daft Punk moved into a Smooth Jazzy Electronic sound if that makes sense.

Anyway so far so good. I like this style.

I'm not sure I've ever listened to an album that continuously gets better with each listen like RAM. I now appreciate every goddamn song and never press skip. Giorgio by Moroder is an amazing workout track btw.

edit: jesus Giorgio is 73 and still killing it.

Yep and yep, I mean there are songs that I can listen to on repeat, but the album is so damn cohesive it's amazing. Not to mention I can probably thank my parents for favoring lots of disco hits when I was growing up as even though I'm 31, this album hits all sorts of nostalgia for me.

Pretty sure if I play this in the car for them, they'll love it as well.

andylsun

Vinyl owners, worth it?

its so damn overpriced but i bet it sounds great.

It does sound great, but the mastering on digital is fine - as the CD isn't brick walled to death then the vinyl isn't essential.

I may double dip for the HDtracks master long with the vinyl I already have.

Damn, "Give life back to music" is such a tease. At first you think there'll be the greatest thing ever when you here the buildup in the intro and then it turns into elevator music. DP know why they cut off at that point in their preview-video.

Damn, "Give life back to music" is such a tease. At first you think there'll be the greatest thing ever when you here the buildup in the intro and then it turns into elevator music. DP know why they cut off at that point in their preview-video.

Give Life Back to Music ... .elevator music? Lol. That drop is awesome. The rif is sweet too.

Beyond is underrated.

It's one of the best on the album.

Stoze

Skipping Instant Crush and Lose Yourself to Dance is a mistake man!

I've also been listening to this in my car for my work commute because my car is the best sound system I own (unfortunately) and it's a loooooong drive. I've always thought you can't really judge an album until you listen to it multiple times, mostly because every time I've gotten a new album from a band I love I always hate it the first time I listen to it. Something in my brain just can't accept that this new thing is as good as the album I've heard 1000 times.

Initially (of course) I wasn't too impressed with it. Now that I've made it through the entire album 6-7 times (Never skip songs! You lose the flow!) I'm starting to have the reaction I was hoping to the album: 1) Song starts, 2) I think "Oh man, this may be my favorite song", 3) Rock out / get sucked into repeating and singing lyrics horribly, 4) hum the tune as it fades away, 5) repeat 1-4 for next song.

The only two songs I'm not too crazy about are Within and Fragments of Time, but when they are done playing I can't get the melody out of my head. Within's simplicity (and piano) make me like it despite how slow it is. I understand the need for the break after the craziness that is "Giorgio by Moroder", but I was really hoping that "click click click" at the end of it would lead directly into the next song (and Within is not that song). Fragments of Time sounds like a old 70s/80s TV show theme, which my brain translates into both a plus and a minus. I imagine Bea Arthur and the Golden Girls running into the Jeffersons for wacky shenanigans each time he says "I'll just keep playing back / These Fragments of Time / Everywhere I go! / Is a moment to shine!". Someone always drops something expensive right at "shine!" and looks at the other cast members very sheepishly by the way.

But seriously, Instant Crush is such an awesome song to turn all the way up and drive down the highway to with the sun shining, the windows down, and the sunglasses on. That sucks that you don't enjoy it :(

I've honestly probably listened to the album 6-7 times before I started skipping songs. I think the album's flaw for me is that it doesn't flow quite right, it's not as coherent as their other albums. That's expected when you have songs with such rich variety, but there's multiple spots in the album where I thought "this doesn't sound right coming after ____". Within is supposed to be a song that remedies that but because of its bland melody it doesn't really help.

I still like Instant Crush and Lose Yourself, but they have gotten just a tad bit repetitive for me and I get the urge to just move on to the next song. Homework was the same way, Teachers was interesting on the first few listens but I always end up skipping it when listening to it on the go. It also boils down to taste, I love Touch and Get Lucky but there's others in this thread that don't, which is understandable.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Vinyl owners, worth it?

its so damn overpriced but i bet it sounds great.

Was just coming in to post that the vinyl is AMAZING. So much detail and imaging, it ranks right up there with the best vinyl sonic releases I have (James Blake's self titled mainly). Very, very impressive.

jtb

Banned
after listening to this album many times over the past two weeks, I've come to the conclusion that Touch is still a shit song.

TheGrue

I guess I am alone in not caring for this album? I've only listened to it once, but what's with the vocals in most of the tracks? I was hoping it was only in a song or two, but unfortunately not.

HigXx

Best album I've heard for quite a while, definitely tops anything they've done so far I think.

The middle section of Touch is masterful.

andylsun

Just decided The Chemical Brothers could learn something from the drumming in Contact. I'm currently trying to blow my speakers with this track...

I can't shift the light crackle on my vinyl. I think I need a zerostat. Its staticy even using a carbon fibre brush. My give it a vacuum and see if that helps.

GhaleonEB

I do wish the vocals were not so processed on as many tracks. There are several where it fits (Beyond), but others where it takes away from the singing (Instant Crush).

As I've learned the songs on repeated listens, many of the segments are starting to flow together better. But some transitions or sections still stand out like big bumps in a road. The washed out bridge on Motherboard is the one that bugs me the most, there's this gradual, spine tingling build going on with the music, and then bam. Hard stop. It gets going again but never really retains the momentum it was building up.

I really dig most of Touch, but there was a lot of welding and the seams show.

Iw6pbwWl.jpg

This just got here today. Sickest shirt EVER.

Finally picked up the cd this afternoon. Great cruising music.

I must have listened to the iTunes stream 8 times through at least. The album just gets better.

Top Bottom