• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

FerranMG

Listening to horizon right now for the first time.
It's looking (hearing) pretty good.

Before that, I just played Doin' it right.
Man, the shittiest song in the album I have to say. Hate it.

Well I'll be damned if the beginning of Beyond doesn't remind me of Mario Galaxy. I had to check it wasn't the OST that had started!

And I hope that a good remix using the beginning of Doin it right comes out. Don't like the rest of the track though.

I've been listening to a lot of Discovery recently and yet I just found out about RAM on Saturday lol

I'm loving this album. It's not exactly high-energy, but I find that it's much more enjoyable to listen to during work than Discovery due to its smooth, soothing nature of most of the tracks.

I can't really pinpoint a favorite track, but I'm really liking Motherboard, Get Lucky, Giorgio, Instant Crush, Touch, and Contact.

I was hyped about this but I really don't like it. It's so backwards-looking, and has so little energy. Much of it is like Daft Punk doing yacht rock. At least one of this year's long-awaited electronic albums is great (Shaking the Habitual).

Being in this daft punk zone I decided to watch Tron.

Daft Punk score was much better then I expected
Beautiful, sometimes stunning visuals
Extremely mediocre film

A couple of days in now and i love it.

One thing is driving me crazy though, beyond's guitar line sounds very familiar to me but I can't place it :(

dvdjamm

20130517-daft-punk-1184-306x-1369169452.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/daft-punk-all-hail-our-robot-overlords-20130521

solarus

Listened to it several times over now and I just don't know, a lot of the tracks I feel are just to slow and have nothing too them, just background music for me.
I like give life back to music, instant crush, get lucky, lose yourself to dance, giorgio and contact (although I replay these two less often). I like touch as well but my feelings switch on it a lot.
No tracks I really love though except maybe get lucky and instant crush.

IceCold

The chiptune video was just outstanding. The Nile vid...well..seems he really has forgotten how to play Get Lucky. :p

Well yeah he said it was like 1 year ago. But he could have refined that solo and done something awesome for the song. Maybe he did and Daft Punk didn't include it who knows.

andylsun

On Instant Crush and struggling to take it all in - there's just so much there. The wandering bass lines are amazing. This is going to need a lot of listens and some time to really sink in. Going to be interested to see what my reactions are after a few weeks - this isn't a record you can judge in days.

Edit: and what do we have here... loose yourself to dance. Damn I could get so down and dirty at some university disco to this...

Edit: 'everybody on the floor' oh yeah

andylsun

On to Beyond - loving it - only Touch hasn't clicked for me so far. The rest is great, and the comparisons to Air were spot on.

Just remembered I have an open bottle of good brandy, so sipping it while listening - very nice indeed.

jokkir

Doin' It Right is kind of ehhh. I think it's a bit too long and not too unique sounding throughout the song like the other songs.

andylsun

First listen finished - Contact was an incredible way to end the album (though I am now listening to Horizon off youtube).

Loved it all apart from Touch and perhaps Fragments of Time. Everything else was glorious. I need a lot more time with this record. Could take months...

Edit: The drumming on Contact- wow

RAM a delightful space age styled album that reinforces their previous styled found in Homework and Discovery and with a 70s style eccentricity. The duo has sacrificed a bit of their electo-house style for something more post modern. Their newly discovered sound is nice - Pharell Williams on "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself to Dance" brings forth front a harmonic bridge between disco soul and the ominous vocoids by the duo themselves , "Contact" reaches to the outer realms, "Give Yourself to Music" is an excellent way to start the album, "Motherboard" takes you within the synths and depths of the common computer, and "Doin it Right" featuring Panda Bear has a very nice sound, implementing the trademark Daft Punk way of chorus samples while an overlying melody plays in the foreground.

Excellent album. Although it doesn't sound as "electronic" as their others, that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. There's a lot of guitar work played in this album, but it never gets repetitive. This is definitely a fresh new beginning for electronic music.

I've been listening to this album all day. At work, at home, everywhere. It's not only pleasing to the ears, it's a different and satisfying sound too.

Zebra

I dig every track on the album. It's all very chill, not what I was expecting at all.

But there is certainly nothing new going on here. On the scale between nostalgic vs forward thinking, the album tilts super heavily towards nostalgic, whereas their other albums always seemed to either hit equilibrium or tilt more towards forward thinking (in regards to style/composition).

I still love it though. I've been listening to it constantly.

GhaleonEB

Working through my first listen now. It's apparent already that this will be an album to just hit repeat on and get lost in. Songs just set a mood after a few seconds and I just zone out of everything else to soak it in.

Motherboard, Giorgio, Instant Crush and Touch are standouts on first listen.

Stoze

I've been listening to this in my car now, and I must confess; I find myself skipping Within, Instant Crush, and Lose Yourself to Dance a lot. Within just sucks, the other two aren't bad but I'd rather carry on to the better songs. The rest of the album is ace.

I've been listening to this in my car now, and I must confess; I find myself skipping Within, Instant Crush, and Lose Yourself to Dance a lot. Within just sucks, the other two aren't bad but I'd rather carry on to the better songs. The rest of the album is ace.

Skipping Instant Crush??? wat wat wat wat wat. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I just called the music police and they confirmed it.

Also, Horizon is great "epilogue," as others have mentioned.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Instant crush and lose yourself are probably my favourite songs from the album. :p

Shaneus

forget the song? NO FUCKS GIVEN. I'M A GOD OF GROOVES! ANYTHING I PLAY SOUNDS HOT!

what a beast.
Man, I just saw this, and I could watch that guy jam all fucking day. And he just wails on it, there's no exact precision or care, it all just flows through him. I love it when you get a brief insight into how a musician's head works... not looking at all at the guitar, just feeling his way around it until what he's playing matches what he's hearing. Genius.

I'm gonna have to find more footage of him live, because I bet he's great to watch in any situation.

BTW This little lick, ugh... so good. Such a shame that the tracks he's best in, his guitar work is often muted, at least partially, by vocals. I hope the remix album lets that guitar take centre stage.
The type of playing here, is that just referred to as funk guitar? Or is there a more specific name for it?

Edit: He busts out some more riffs in this video after getting his guitar back in tune. Same summit, but from last year.

Top Bottom