• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

spectros4

Neo Member
Listening to Contact right now

ibosjWXWkvEHGd.gif

WHAT THE FUCK?! could you be more spot on?

Sai-kun

Banned
Total let down. Glad I wasn't hyped for this at all.

The only tracks I really liked:
Giorgio
Get Lucky (they fixed it!)
Contact

Definitely their weakest for me.

As someone who typically isnt a huge Daft Punk fan, this album's sound is much more my style. I'm really liking this. Give Life Back to Music the perfect intro track and Contact is the perfect outro.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Giorgio
Contact

This album destroys Human After All. This is actually listenable.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hold on, if love is the answer you want.

Touch, sweet touch.

You've given me too much to feel.

Sweet touch, you've almost convinced me I'm real.

I need something more, I need something...more.

Giorgio
Contact

Ironically enough, these were the most "Daft Punk" sounding songs on the album which explains why you and many others don't like the album.

Mr. F

Banned
Listening through again after the initial hype of being able to stream it front to back, I only really like a handful of tracks but I suspect the others may grow on me in time. Some good grooves, looking forward to the remixes.

so i just finished this. it's not what i wanted, but it's not outright bad either. it's certainly only tangentially an "EDM" record--which whatever, who cares about genres.

the track order on this album is a complete mess; it's so back-heavy. from get lucky (better here than in the radio edit) onward it's mostly solid. the 3-song block of motherboard-fragments-doin' it right is almost perfect and definitely more in line with what i would expect from "the new daft punk album". the way contact ends and loops back into give life back to the music makes me wish the album ended that way. overall the album has no flow, tracks just sort of lurch into one another and the pace is uneven.

contact to me isn't even that great, 6 minutes of endless build with no payoff. and no i don't mean a "sick drop", the song just doesn't go anywhere, it just gets louder and more abrasive. at worst it's reminiscent of "human after all" in that it abuses the same 20 seconds of music for the entire second half of it's duration. if i wanted that i'd listen to the brainwasher, which upon listening to it as i type this, i can totally see (hear?) contact getting mashed up with in a live performance.

overall it's just kind of a limp record to me, slow and meandering on the front-half, wasted potential in the back. the guest performances don't seem to add anything to the album other than simply being an additional "feature" they could (have) use to market it. oh well.

top 5:
motherboard
fragments of time
doin' it right
give life back to music
beyond

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be honest here and I know I'll get shouted at but fuck it. It's a great album but overall I think it's their weakest one. Certain tracks are absolutely brilliant but overall I prefer Discovery, Homework and Human After All over it.

Really liked it after the first listen. My opinion always changes on albums after multiple listens, so I have absolutely no clue where I'd rank it against their other albums.

cdyhybrid

Giorgio, Contact, Get Lucky, Give Life Back to Music, and Lose Yourself to Dance are definitely the best dance tracks on the album, IMO. A lot of the album sounds more like stuff I'd chill out to.

Top Bottom