• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

jtb

Banned
the only ranking that matters:

Homework/Discovery/RAM > HAA.

edit: and yes, Audio Video Disco is quite good. I dunno if I'd call it great (a lot of the tracks feel a bit re-tready) but I enjoyed it a lot.

Sai-kun

Banned
last year on the way to coachella you said it sucked. You said Audio Video Disco was the only good song on the album lol

okay that was like half a year after the album dropped though. also i hate you. I still hadn't heard it live! To be fair, hearing it live completely changed my opinion of the album. Same way I felt about HAA.

I'm in love with this album and on a second listen, how can people hate it? It's so fresh and organic, which is a really nice surprise for me. It took the robots putting their synths and decks down to show the industry how you make a consistently good album.

I'm also happy because this is a Daft Punk album my dad can appreciate, I grew up listening to his disco records and such and while he could appreciate the singles out of Discovery, a lot of their usual stylings left him a little cold, he appreciated them but never was exactly crazy for them (he HATES the Tron Legacy soundtrack)

But he's been really hooked on Get Lucky and seems keen on this album too. So hopefully I can convince him to play RAM on our car journeys : D

Dany

Banned
Listening through again after the initial hype of being able to stream it front to back, I only really like a handful of tracks but I suspect the others may grow on me in time. Some good grooves, looking forward to the remixes.

Yep.

Contact by the widest margin is the best song on here, no debate. How the fuck is this masterpiece on this album?
Doing it Right - i can bop to this anytime.

and idk about the rest, maybe Get Lucky and touch

Jamie OD

After a second listen, I come to the conclusion that I love this album. Touch is probably my favourite song. It has a beautiful ending to it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I liked Contact but I think there are better songs in the album.

My favorite on first listen is Touch, the song is just wow.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm scared to play Contact in my car because I will probably want to go 100 mph.

Chucker

Daft Punk dooming mankind to overpopulation.

Remember to wrap it up, folks!

fsnfK8Bl.jpg

Dmax3901

Really liking it but I only just woke up and now have to leave, only up to Giorgio :( gonna be thinking about this album all day SIGH.

jtb

Banned
Yeah, I gotta put myself in the "underwhelmed by Contact" camp. I really loved it at first, but listening to it again, it starts out ridiculously awesome but then it doesn't go anywhere...

My personal favorite is the one-two punch of Instant Crush and Lose Yourself to Dance.

All the "brining back disco" hype was just BS sadly, after listening throughout I'd give the album a C, maybe it will grow to a C+ if tracks grow on me

Chucker

Yeah, I gotta put myself in the "underwhelmed by Contact". I really loved it at first, but listening to it again, it starts out ridiculously awesome but then it doesn't go anywhere...

Yeah, I fell into the hype trap. It's good, but I built it up too high.

Soup Bar

Can't wait for the vinyl next week. This album has totally delivered. Hopefully their next album will be in the next 2-3 years instead of 8.

Hieberrr

Driving this road down to paradise
Letting the sunlight into my eyes
Our only plan is to improvise
And it's crystal clear that I don't ever want it to end
If I had it my way I would never leave
Keep building these random memories
Turning our days into melodies
Since I can't stay

I just keep playing back
These fragments of time
Everywhere I go
These moments will shine

Majine

Banned
Can't wait for the vinyl next week. This album has totally delivered. Hopefully their next album will be in the next 2-3 years instead of 8.

I'm hoping for a remix album by them this or next year, with some remixes by DP in addition to other artists.

Lijik

Just finished my first listen and my initial impressions are it was stellar back to front. Dug the whole thing

Will see if that holds up on repeat listens later. Contact is the one track I feel wont hold up unless Im listening to it in context with the entire rest of the album. Its a spectacular closer.

EDIT- Touch is probably my favorite track

nilbog21

Banned
holy shit

I just smoked and listened to Contact with headphones on.. absolutely insane

this track literally sent me into fucking space

Solo

I am a weak man. I caved :eek:

Just listened to the first 2 tracks so far. My god, the production is PRISTINE. So clean.

Give Life Back To Music is a JAM.

The begining of Fragments in Time made me think of Fleetwood Mac.

After my second playthough I'm digging it more than the first. My least favorite song is "Touch".

My favorites are "give back life to music", "georgio", "Fragments of Time" and probably "Get Lucky". I'm digging the rest a ton as well, but can't get into "touch".

EDIT: Contact is a great way to end the album.

Bronco'Bama

Neo Member
After a couple of listens I can confidently say it was worth the wait and all the hype.

Loving Instant Crush, Doin' it Right, and Fragments of Time the most right now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Pharrel's vocal for Get Lucky works pretty well, but his falsetto in Lose Yourself kinda takes me out of it. Might've been a mistake putting him on that one.

SKINNER!

Banned
Am I the only that thinks get lucky is one of the weakest tracks in the album? I don't know if I'm burned out on it, just sounds so conventional compared to the rest.

Nnnnnnnope! Not to me it doesn't. Track still holds up against the others.

Dreaver

The last minute of Giorgio by Moroder is so insane as well. I just listened it alone for the first time, it's so damn powerful.

IceCold

Fuck me, the background beat that plays when Giorgio is speaking is so fucking amazing. Makes me feel like I'm driving in Miami with a badass convertible. It would be a perfect track for Vice City.

Also this album sounds really clean if that makes sense. Even at 192 kbps (itune's stream) it sounds fuckin' great. Can't wait for the lossless version. Go listen to something like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy then listen to this album, huge difference.

Thank you based Daft Punk for not following the loudness wars.

It's also a breath of fresh air compared to what's on the radio, especially the crap that will.i.am is doing.

My ranking so far:

RAM >= Discovery = Homework (The one I prefer depends on my mood) > HAA (This album gets a lot of hate but it's still good).

cacophony

started listening. 1st track is alright, Game of Love is boring as hell, Giorgio..

this better pick up soon, it seems really boring & restrained for a Daft Punk album

Top Bottom