• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

DR2K

Banned
Far from it. Its a funky chilled out soundtrack. Really 70's/80's and I love it. Its very chilled.

I'm not a big Daft Punk fan, but get Lucky led me to believe it would be a different kind of album with fun music, catchy beats, etc. . . this just sounds like something you'd listen to in a coffee bar ordering you favorite herbal tea and what not. Not my type of music, but get lucky was awesome.

MNC

I definitely need to keep relistening a bit. It definitely is Daft Punk, but it still needs to grow on me a bit.

jett

D-Member
i think what those citing 70s/80s dance music mean is that ram doesn't really do anything interesting with those influences and merely regurgitates them in pretty conventional/dull ways

It most definitely does not do that. This album is pretty unique to be honest.

Meier

I am listening to the iTunes stream so I don't really know what track is what (other than Get Lucky), but it's pretty boring really. I'm not hugely impressed despite being a fan of theirs since the 90s.

I like this song that just came on though.. I guess it's Fragments of Time based on MT's post. Reminds me of Hall & Oates, hah.

caramac

Couple of avatars up for grabs if anyone wants them.

iWw2viaLcvjZE.png
ibeU4bzd4dIWbG.png

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If people dislike the album, they can say why. Isn't that what album threads are for, to hear the different opinions?
Saying you don't like it is fine. Getting on a pedestal and implying people who do like the album have never heard anything from the eras that definitely influenced the album is another.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Touch is my favorite so far. And like I suspected the album version of get lucky destroys the radio edit.

jacobs34

Anyone else get the feeling that these guys finished Contact and said, "well we aren't going to top that, let's try experimenting with other sounds/ideas for the rest of the album."

Prez

It's a good album, but it's not that exciting to me. You guys are missing out on tons of awesome 70s funk (which some tracks remind me of).

Jitters

i think what those citing 70s/80s dance music mean is that ram doesn't really do anything interesting with those influences and merely regurgitates them in pretty conventional/dull ways

Derivative doesn't equal bad, to me. If you can make good tracks, make good tracks. Like Foxygen and Savages. I actually think this album manages to use its influences in a unique way. It sounds like a music from a bygone era, but still like Daft Punk.

I would say my main problem with the album is that some tracks linger for a little too long. It kind of make the whole album feel a little bloated. Like that Chromatics album from last year.

hobz360

I think the people who are disappointed were expecting more EDM-type of song/music/beat.

Listening to Touch for the 2nd time. What an amazing track it is.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Am I the only that thinks get lucky is one of the weakest tracks in the album? I don't know if I'm burned out on it, just sounds so conventional compared to the rest.

Sanic

So then what did you think of Short Circuit? Since ya know, that was just circuit noise.

Haven't heard it. I'm talking just within the context of this work, songs like touch and beyond get that astral feel while injecting some life into it. Contact just feels like a weird song for the album.

Top Bottom