• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

It took me some time to fully appreciate Discovery and Homework, (and some of HAA) so I imagine it will be the same with RAM. I've taken to RAM a lot quicker, but I think it's because of the pre-album hype and just being more receptive to this type of music in general.

bud

kiss
suddenly alive
happiness arrive
hunger like a storm
how do i begin
a room within a room
a door behind a door
touch where do you lead
i need something more
tell me what you see
i need something more

Majine

Banned
Honestly, since they are constantly evolving their sound it's a waste of time to determine where people rank this. People will say each of their albums is the best, even HAA, which is a sign of a constantly awesome band.

hobz360

Todd Edwards said:
Speaking to Vice as part of their Creators Project series, Edwards says that "They were saying (they wanted to go) back to the time of Fleetwood Mac, the Doobie Brothers, picking up the West Coast vibes." Adding: "We would drive down from Thomas (Bangalter's) house with the top down. The weather was gorgeous. It sounds like something in a movie."

Describing the new songs as "future classics," Edwards goes on to say: "They reversed gears and went back to a time that no one's really focused on. They're fulfilling their vision on all levels."

Edwards is one of a number of collaborators Daft Punk have worked with on 'Random Access Memories', which is released on May 20. The duo have also worked with Giorgio Moroder, Nile Rogers, Panda Bear and Chilly Gonzales are all believed to have recorded with the French duo in the studio. Scroll down to watch Todd Edwards speak about working with Daft Punk now.

Speaking about working with Daft Punk, Nile Rogers said: "About a year ago, I get a knock on the door – first a virtual one and then a real knock – from Guy-Manuel and Thomas. The collaboration felt so unbelievably natural that it made me realise that I need to be in the studio with people. I love partnering with people. And then from that moment, a windfall of recording started happening. I just started going in with whomever I could."

Source It's a month old but that's exactly how I feel and what i'm going to do. Windows down while driving through Pacific Coast Highway this summer while listening to this album.

Wynnebeck

Banned
kiss
suddenly alive
happiness arrive
hunger like a storm
how do i begin
a room within a room
a door behind a door
touch where do you lead
i need something more
tell me what you see
i need something more

Paul Williams was amazing on Touch. As for the rankings:

Discovery = Alive 2007>RAM>Homework = Alive 1997>HAA

Solo

I absolutely REFUSE to listen to anything but Get Lucky until I have the album next week. Having said that, the album version is dooooope.

Eidan

Finished my first play through. Album is great. With the exception of Within, every song resonated for me on some level. Easily one of their best albums.

I am loving this album. It has the classic '70s-'80s funk/ pop sound. It's a cruise through the city, late at night while the streetlights reflect off the wet asphalt of the streets.

If you're looking for Discovery or Human After All, this is not it. It's Daft Punk's style but the narration is different. The groove is more disco, more akin to Saturday night fever. It's fresh.

Halfway streaming though RAM, so far:

sebibOM.gif

Source It's a month old but that's exactly how I feel and what i'm going to do. Windows down while driving through Pacific Coast Highway this summer while listening to this album.

i keep reading stuff like this (the article, not your post) and then remembering how down people were on Justice's second album and it makes no sense to me. they made a prog-rock album from 1978 and everyone shit all over it.

tl;dr - everyone needs to re-visit "audio, video, disco" and realize how amazing it is.

i keep reading stuff like this (the article, not your post) and then remembering how down people were on Justice's second album and it makes no sense to me. they made a prog-rock album from 1978 and everyone shit all over it.

tl;dr - everyone needs to re-visit "audio, video, disco" and realize how amazing it is.

Seconded.

Sai-kun

Banned
It's kind of early, but where would you guys rank this among their other albums?

Worst, unfortunately. As much as HAA is repetitive and weird, I still have 7/10 of the tracks starred on Spotify, and only 4 from RAM.

I'm hoping that this grows on me the same way AVD did, because the first time I listened to it, I remember thinking "what the fuck just happened here", and now I love it. I still love Cross more, but AVD is fucking solid.

Edit: Going for a drive with this will be interesting. Going on a roadtrip soon so hopefully we'll blast this.

I'm hoping that this grows on me the same way AVD did, because the first time I listened to it, I remember thinking "what the fuck just happened here", and now I love it. I still love Cross more, but AVD is fucking solid.
about time you realized

also so the Japanese version has an extra song?

I think the reason I'm preferring RAM over AVD right now is because AVD didn't go far enough. It doesn't commit to its influences enough to ever forgo its four-on-the-floor house standard, which in turn doesn't hold up to the excellent dance tracks on Cross. To me AVD just feels like a limp hybrid - which I guess is how some people feel about RAM at the moment, but to me RAM is interesting and fresh because it goes soooo far off the deep end with its retro influence.

The live Justice album just came out, though, so I do at least need to check that out and see if it sways my opinion a bit.

MNC

Is it just me or would some female vocals sound good with some of the tracks? I don't really like the vocoder in some of the tracks; it's not like their old vocoders :/

It's WAY too early to be judging the album on a few listens, for me Daft Punk takes dozens of listens before I make any decision. Many of their songs usually grow/build on me as I listen to them.

Favourite tracks at the moment (haven't ranked them):

Give Life Back to Music
Giorgio by Moroder
Instant Crush
Motherboard
Contact

Liking this album a lot more than Human After All.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Instant Crush has this fantastic kind of vulnerability....but I don't like the chorus that much.

Giorgio sounds really nice, but it's ultimately kinda of boring to me ultimately.

That fucking groove on Lose Yourself though, that's my favorite thing. Bless you, Nile.

The production quality of this album is insane (I'm so glad my new headphones came in today - changed my mind and went with Sennheisers, which have yet to fail me, instead of Bose, thanks guy from the last thread).

It's kind of early, but where would you guys rank this among their other albums?

Human After All < Homework < Discovery &#8804; Random Access Memories

Not kidding, this is such a great album.

I can see how it wouldn't meet some people's expectations though, it is very different.

solarus

Need to listen to this a few more times to let it sink in, halfway through second listen through now. Confident in saying it's quite good.

Tantalus

Neo Member

I definitely need to go back and listen to AVD again. Cross is one of my favorite albums but I just kind of dismissed AVD and didn't give it the time of day. So far I've been really enjoying RAM though. It's different and not really what I was expecting, but it's a pleasant surprise.

Instant Crush and Doin' it Right are just insanely catchy

Top Bottom