• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

orioto

Good Art™
So first i was meh then i listened the album 4 time in a row :) Get Lucky, Gorgio, Within, Instant crush, touch are erally good but i'm hooked with Lose yourself to dance.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Contact...

tumblr_lkw1168NWV1qfjhgro1_400.gif

What a great album.

There are so many good tracks that it just gets all muddled after 4. So my Top 3 tracks:

1. Contact
2. Giorgio By Moroder
3. Touch
GW6DlY1.png

I had this record playing while I was doing shit around the house (my second playthrough) and holy shit it's so fucking good. I even love The Game Of Love. My 1 year old daughter was grooving so hard.

Sogood.gif

Get'sMad

listened to this again...still not feeling it other than a couple tracks.

when Beyond comes on I just want to turn it off and put on Michale McDonald - I Keep Forgetting and forget this album ever happened.

PBY

Banned
Ok. Touch is the worst song on the album. Come at me.

I'd accept that. There are a lot of songs that could be considered "worst" and "best" at the same time.

It depends on your tolerance/appreciation for what they're going for. I can understand how some might find it a little cheesy to be honest.

MThanded

I like every song on the album. Not a single thing I would skip. Maybe I am in the minority. Really like the feel of every song.

Listened straight through while I was at the gym. Everything fit perfectly.

sk3

Banned
I feel like I just got trolled. I had to check around for a couple different streams to make sure it wasn't a fake leak or something.

Wait for the remixes.

mjc

I'd accept that. There are a lot of songs that could be considered "worst" and "best" at the same time.

It depends on your tolerance/appreciation for what they're going for. I can understand how some might find it a little cheesy to be honest.

I'd say that's a good descriptor for it. I guess I'm not totally sure what they're going for with it...maybe that's the issue.

pxleyes

Banned
Just hit "Touch". I feel like I'm in space in a classic 1980s Sci-Fi. Something they would play on the Nostromo?

Woah, hi there Paul.

Ok, am I in Oz?

MThanded

People who wanted a more typical EDM album didn't get it. People who thought this was going to ape all their older stuff are going to be disappointed too.

People who wanted more melodic disco funk genre bending stuff did. I'm glad this is what I wanted.

Soma

These guys need to change their name to Daft Funk after this album.

They've nailed that 70's/80's aesthetic to a T for better or worse.

Majine

Banned
I like every song on the album. Not a single thing I would skip. Maybe I am in the minority. Really like the feel of every song.

This. This album is so high quality and even, it's incredible. They didn't even cram in one of those useless 10 seconds tracks like "On/Off" in HAA or "WDPK 83.7 FM" from Homework.

jett

D-Member
People who wanted a more typical EDM album didn't get it. People who thought this was going to ape all their older stuff are going to be disappointed too.

People who wanted more melodic disco funk genre bending stuff did. I'm glad this is what I wanted.

tumblr_lhreuwCQKn1qav6t4o1_400.gif

pxleyes

Banned

Like great movies, it's about expectations. Temper them to the right level and the art will still shine. Loving the album. Feel like a kid of the 70s right now, and I was born in '85.

These guys need to change their name to Daft Funk after this album.

They've nailed that 70's/80's aesthetic to a T for better or worse.
Better. Definitely better.

Lose Yourself to Dance didn't really click with me the first time.

Just did now.

B4NmRlI.gif

It makes a ton of sense. When you try to have sad or melancholic songs with a silly, ridiculous sounding vocoder robot voice it's impossible to take it seriously. Those songs should have emotive singers, not silly robot voices.

Discovery disagrees with you.

Get'sMad

see I don't necessarily mind that they went this direction cause I love all the shit from the artists/era theyre trying to ape with this...I just think it's poorly executed.

jett

D-Member
They've set such a high bar in terms of sonic standard with this album I really hope they don't ditch live instruments in their next one, whatever it may be. It just sounds so good. Can't wait for the physical release.

andymcc

Banned
It makes a ton of sense. When you try to have sad or melancholic songs with a silly, ridiculous sounding vocoder robot voice it's impossible to take it seriously. Those songs should have emotive singers, not silly robot voices.

You could legitimately make that claim about other songs that are "melancholic" but touch isn't like that... It's Paul Williams with little voice manipulation. just the outro has it, right?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I think you've nailed one of my problems their with the album. I have nothing against vocoders etc but I feel for a few of the songs at least they just don't sound right.

I'll also post a Giorgio Moroder song just cause I was listening to it their now :p

http://youtu.be/30hr7DyAuAY

pxleyes

Banned
As I just tweeted... The album version of Get Lucky is far superior to the radio edit. So much deeper, fuller, complete. I can’t explain the radio edit.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You could legitimately make that claim about other songs that are "melancholic" but touch isn't like that... It's Paul Williams with little voice manipulation. just the outro has it, right?

No. The only voice manipulation was in the intro. His voice is untouched throughout the song.

Top Bottom