• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I wouldn't go that far, HAA was a 1.5/5 album

Nothing pains me more than HAA derision. It was a solid album!

HAA is the complete opposite of RAM. It's a creative black hole.

RuYH0.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think people are thrown off because they expected something more aligned with homework or discovery. I mean if you watched any of those collaborators videos or listened to get lucky you should have known it wasn't going to sound anything like those albums.

I need more of this in my life.

Time to play the "By Your Side" album by Breakbot as a companion piece <3
That is a good album. Ive had it on rotation for a while once I found it on spotify.

Wes

venison crêpe
Let the music in tonight
Just turn on the music
Let the music of your life
Give life back to music

Gets even better on repeat listens. I love the little crowd chatter three quarters of the way through too. A little Revolution 909 vibe.

mjc

I think people are thrown off because they expected something more aligned with homework or discovery. I mean if you watched any of those collaborators videos or listened to get lucky you should have known it wasn't going to sound anything like those albums.

Totally agree. Just by looking at the collaborators you could sense what direction they were heading with this album.

PBY

Banned
So this is a disco record....?

See I disagree- people who thought it was gonna be a disco record are probably gonna be disappointed too. Its way more ballady and prog than I expected, not a danceable album at all.

I really really enjoy it, but its a very specific sound.

sephi22

This is the most eclectic album I've heard in a while. So many songs, each of a different flavor. I really, really like Instant Crush for some reason.

MThanded

See I disagree- people who thought it was gonna be a disco record are probably gonna be disappointed too. Its way more ballady and prog than I expected, not a danceable album at all.

Disagree. What kind of dancing are you talking about.

"Lose Yourself to Dance" is not danceable? That guitar track is about to make me jump out of my chair and start seizing.

Soma

Yeah I think once I accepted the fact that this wasn't going to be more in line with Discovery, I definitely started appreciating what they were doing here and even after going through this again it's really growing on me.

I didn't even think Get Lucky sounded all that great when I first listened to it a few weeks ago but I'm loving it now especially in the context of the rest of the album.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Disagree. What kind of dancing are you talking about.

Only a few songs in right now, but I agree with MThanded here. Shit's danacble, but this is a different kind of dance. Somewhat more sensual and less bump and grind, haywire and nutshit. There's tact here, and would require a similar kind of dancing.

PBY

Banned
Only a few songs in right now, but I agree with MThanded here. Shit's danacble, but this is a different kind of dance. Somewhat more sensual and less bump and grind, haywire and nutshit. There's tact here, and would require a similar kind of dancing.

I mean, if you take a broad interpretation anything is danceable. I'm not considering the ballady songs 'danceable' in the traditional sense, at least not in line with the nu disco sound of Get Lucky.

Basically, you won't be hearing much of this in the club or on the radio.

Crazyorloco

Ok. I just heard Contact.

I think I got high off of it. Can that even happen? The crescendo is incredible on it. Reminds me of good old aerodynamic from daft punk. <3

Good album, but I don't think it's better than Discovery, but It's so close. I feel like it's Discovery part 2. I will give it a few listens. Recently, I remember I didn't like strawberry bubblegum off of justin's timberlake's latest work...but after a few listens it became my favorite song on his album.

Oooh, Beyond! I really like this one!! Groovy. Totally brings to mind sitting in a lounge, high above the city at night a few decades ago... Motherboard as well, I think? They sure do fit together well <3

MThanded

This a side project album released under the Daft Punk name.

Fuck Disco.

Is posting hatersgonnahate.gif bannable. Your post deserves about 100 of them bad boys.

Edit:
Holy shit you must salty you even changed your avatar from a daft punk one. Turrible

iavi

I mean, if you take a broad interpretation anything is danceable. I'm not considering the ballady songs 'danceable' in the traditional sense, at least not in line with the nu disco sound of Get Lucky.

Basically, you won't be hearing much of this in the club or on the radio.

This is my stance.

so instead of nerdlingers arguing whether or not an album heavily inspired by disco is danceable or not, why not tackle more important things such as the guitar tabulating the nile rodgers songs

lose yourself to dance is easy since it's just a groove on a Bb minor chord

the lick that plays up high

E-----16----13-----
B-----14----14-----
G------x-----x----
D-----15----15----

strum the second chord with syncopation and the requisite palm muting like a funky motherfucker

down low on the neck I like to alternate between

E------1
B------2
G------3

and

E------6
B------6
G------6

give life back to music is a little more complicated, any other guitar people take a stab at it yet?

Top Bottom